PDA

View Full Version : Extreme!

hikernutcasey
01-23-2013, 10:36
It is currently -34 degrees with a windchill of -84 at the observatory on Mt. Washington! :eek:

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 10:54
I'll think about that when I think it's cold outside today in VA. :)

tds1195
01-23-2013, 11:08
Whoa! Hang in there hikernutcasey! That's some craziness! It's a nice sunny 24 degrees here in NC today!

hikernutcasey
01-23-2013, 11:11
Whoa! Hang in there hikernutcasey! That's some craziness! It's a nice sunny 24 degrees here in NC today!
Hey tds, I'm here in NC with you. I'm not going anywhere near that kind of crazy weather! Go to http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php to view the current conditions. I like to click on it in the winter to see just how bad it gets up there!

tds1195
01-23-2013, 11:18
Hey tds, I'm here in NC with you. I'm not going anywhere near that kind of crazy weather! Go to http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php to view the current conditions. I like to click on it in the winter to see just how bad it gets up there!

Haha I totally thought you were writing from Mt. Washington! I was wondering why on earth you were up there in January...for a minute there I thought you were hardcore!

Slo-go'en
01-23-2013, 11:48
I don't know how cold it got here last night, but it was still -8 at 10AM in bright sun. Just a tad chilly. That's about the coldest daytime temp we've had around here in a few years. Almost a normal winter.

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 12:20
I don't know how cold it got here last night, but it was still -8 at 10AM in bright sun. Just a tad chilly. That's about the coldest daytime temp we've had around here in a few years. Almost a normal winter.

*Shutter* -8 brings back childhood memories of living in Littleton & Whitefield in the winter.. brrrr... So cold but yet so beautiful!

Tuckahoe
01-23-2013, 12:26
Who was it advising against hiking in Virginia in the summer? I am looking forward to it even more.

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 12:58
Who was it advising against hiking in Virginia in the summer? I am looking forward to it even more.

Ok Ok.. we are talkin extremes here, Tuck. ;) I love VA but the heat of the summer can be oppressive, at times. Some like it HOT - some like it COLD. I like it the middle.
I love VA ... it's got great weather that, most of the time, makes me smile. :):sun

Coffee Rules!
01-23-2013, 13:32
Note to self: Quit whining about it being cold when it's in the 40's.

peakbagger
01-23-2013, 13:54
12 degrees below at my house just north of Mt Washington, its sunny and beautiful to look at but the wind cranks up on occasion.

Its close to a full moon and on a clear cold night in the winter the summits "light" up. I sometime find an excuse to head over to the autoroad parking lot near Pinkham notch in the early evening and catch the moonrise over the Carter range, when the moons angle is low it lights up the northern presidential and the great gulf. I wish I could figure out a way of taking a picture as it is without a doubt incredible.

Supposed to hit 20 below tonight once the winds drop. I have the gear but not the motivation to do much outdoor work in these temps. When the local ski area (wildcat in Pinkham notch)shuts down for two days, you know its cold.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2013, 14:23
I was a snowmaker at Wildcat one winter. Best part of the job was seeing Mt Washington light up as the sun rose - that and getting to drive a snowcat. Worst part was trying to roll up a 20 foot fire hose at -10 before it froze solid!

Minus 20 tomorrow morning, eh? Great, I need to get my car to the shop by 8:30 AM and have the E-brake fixed so I can get a sticker. Maybe I should set up the battery charger now that its warmed up to 0 :) Hope I still have running water in the morning too...

ChinMusic
01-23-2013, 14:41
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was gonna be about Pringles............

Camel2012
01-23-2013, 15:13
It's currently sunny and 66 degrees at my house. If i wasn't sick right now, i would be out hiking and enjoying this beautiful day, but instead, stuck in the house feeling like crap.

The up side, this is my son's last week of school before our hike. So now, we will have more time for training hikes, and can travel further to get varied terrain. It's hard to find equivalent grades in Oklahoma.

Rasty
01-23-2013, 15:16
Note to self: Quit whining about it being cold when it's in the 40's.

Where you are whining about the heat is a different story!

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 15:22
It is currently -34 degrees with a windchill of -84 at the observatory on Mt. Washington! :eek:

It is currently 7 degrees here in Brunswick. Supposed to get down to 6 below tonight. Oh well, it's off to work. Thinking about taking a coat tonight.

Lando11
01-23-2013, 15:39
I saw the title of this thread and thought it was gonna be about Pringles............
Ha!
could have been about Mt. Dew as well. EXTREME!!!

colorado_rob
01-23-2013, 16:01
-34 ?
How about -148 degrees?

http://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees-McKinley-ebook/dp/B0024NJY58

There's a dude up on Denali right now trying to be the first to solo it in January. Yikes. We had around -34 degrees (before wind chill effects) at high camp a couple times up there in JUNE.

Liminal
01-23-2013, 16:15
-13 here in Northern Vermont! The cold is the only thing that is tempering my excitement about getting out on the trail.

Feral Bill
01-23-2013, 16:27
-34 ?
How about -148 degrees?

http://www.amazon.com/Minus-148-Degrees-McKinley-ebook/dp/B0024NJY58

There's a dude up on Denali right now trying to be the first to solo it in January. Yikes. We had around -34 degrees (before wind chill effects) at high camp a couple times up there in JUNE. Yes, but that's -148 with the wind chill. One of them didn't come back, another died on Denali years later. Very good read.

jeffmeh
01-23-2013, 17:21
It almost hit 15 at the peak of the day here in the Merrimack Valley.

tiptoe
01-24-2013, 11:36
2 degrees this morning in sw connecticut, and getting over the flu. thank heavens for long johns. frolic time for my husky, frostbite time for the rest of us.

Son Driven
01-24-2013, 11:41
Negative temps in Minneapolis forced me to do my training at the Mall of America. I do not like the indoors, but I dislikike frosbite more.

colorado_rob
01-24-2013, 11:45
Yes, but that's -148 with the wind chill. One of them didn't come back, another died on Denali years later. Very good read. Apparently it did reach -100 actual air temp on Denali once, though that was long enough ago it wasn't recognized as official. I think the lowest actual official temp was in the -80's, but that is well below the summit which would be yet colder.

BTW: Nearly 70 yesterday here in Denver. Sorry, couldn't resist...

BirdBrain
01-25-2013, 12:56
Weather forecast calls for a high of 16F today in my town. Same site says it is currently 18F in same spot. This is proof that it is safe to believe everything you read on the internet. I do not understand how the high can be lower than the current, but it must be true, because I read it on the internet.

Dogwood
01-25-2013, 13:03
Time to go up there and check it out. Sounds cooool. We should bring along our boards and skis too. I'll wear my new Columbia jacket. Oh, BTW, what was that thing I heard about possible S&R fess being accessed to those not prepared to be up there in that weather?

BirdBrain
01-25-2013, 13:08
Time to go up there and check it out. Sounds cooool. We should bring along our boards and skis too. I'll wear my new Columbia jacket. Oh, BTW, what was that thing I heard about possible S&R fess being accessed to those not prepared to be up there in that weather?

Not sure what S&R fess is. I did make a snide remark about the cold weather keeping the flat-landers out. We get our state to ourselves for a couple of weeks when it freezes solid.

Drybones
01-25-2013, 17:21

I normally take advantage of "harsh" weather to be outside and get next to nature so to speak. The wife and I would walk for hours in blizzards in upstate NY, almost every time it rains I'm out for a walk, but I'd have to say these conditions are a little too much for me to be out in, although I have gone for walks with it -35 in MN, but that's a walk, not a hike.

Snowleopard
01-26-2013, 16:52
I looked up some Mt. Wash. weather stats for this Jan 1-25.:
7 days the peak wind was over 100mph (max was 119mph)
9 day the peak wind speed was between 90 and 99 mph.
Jan 23, the high temp was -26F, low was -35F, average wind speed was 61.5

The coldest it got here this winter in northern Mass was -9F, the second coldest in the 10 years I've lived here.

By contrast, in the 60s and 70s in the Catskills it got -30F a couple times a winter and got to -20F frequently every winter. Nowadays, that area of the Catskills gets below 0F a couple times a winter and the coldest each winter varies from -4F to -14F. I love cold weather and I miss it. Northern NH has always been colder than the Catskills.

JAK
01-26-2013, 17:54
It is currently -34 degrees with a windchill of -84 at the observatory on Mt. Washington! :eek:Yeah but it's a dry cold.

JAK
01-26-2013, 18:05
My daughter and her friend and I went cross-country skiing today. Warmed from 5F to 13F before falling again. We went for a walk out on the river to check out the ice fishing shacks before sunset. Windy out there. Perfect ice, no snow on the river for the past week in 0 F weather it's gotta be well over a foot thick by now. A set of Reachers would be perfect.19267