PDA

View Full Version : Sliding around in tent

DeerPath
01-23-2013, 11:47
I slept in my new Luna Solo last night and couldn't stay on my EXPED SYNMAT UL7 pad. It was sliding all over the tent. Any ideas to stabilize the pad? I think I read using SilNet strips would work but looking for more ideas.

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:55
I slept in my new Luna Solo last night and couldn't stay on my EXPED SYNMAT UL7 pad. It was sliding all over the tent. Any ideas to stabilize the pad? I think I read using SilNet strips would work but looking for more ideas.

Others will give a more useful comment that helps your system, but this is why I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag. The pad stays in the sleeve. I have the same Exped pad.

tds1195
01-23-2013, 12:00
You could try putting a layer of seam grip on the sleeping pad.

Karma13
01-23-2013, 12:05
I use a piece of Gossamer Gear 1/8-inch foam underneath. For colder temps, it's a little bit of insulation. But even a piece about a foot square under the hips seems to be grippy enough to keep the pad from moving around (presuming a sufficiently flat site).

Left Hand
01-23-2013, 12:10
Agreeing with Karma13...also the hiker trash method would be to get a dish mat at the Dollar Store. I used one of the colored foam ones. It is light and just enough to keep your pad from moving.

DeerPath
01-23-2013, 12:47
Thanks Karma13, I have the Gossamer Gear 1/8 foam and will try it tonight.

Lando11
01-23-2013, 12:57
I had this issue as well with my lunar solo/tyvek/neo-air combo. A few drops of seam grip on the tent floor took care of that problem however. Even so, you need to be very careful about setting up on the flattest area possible. Or you may find yourself traveling in your tent a bit

bigcranky
01-23-2013, 14:23
I paint spots of seam grip on the floor of my Lunar Duo. Spots are better than stripes IMHO because it's easier to sweep out the tent in the morning.

turtle fast
01-23-2013, 14:47
Good idea about the spots versus the strips....its also applicable to many silnylon shelter systems like a Tarptent, or a Lightheart Solo.

cmich
01-23-2013, 16:54
I use cut out oval pieces of hockey tape (6" long) on the four corners of my synmat ul7. It seems to do the trick on my sil tent floor

Franco
01-23-2013, 17:09
I paint strips or dots on the floor and then stripe the mat as well.I did this the other day for a customer with a TT Double Rainbow and two X Therm Neo Air.
I put a thin layer on the floor and a much thicker on the mat and that worked very well.
However I have not done that with my DM7 so not sure how it would work with your UL7 so I suggest you do the floor first , test and do a small test patch on the mat after.
(striping the mat added about 1/2 oz of weight..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYPN3CeQCI&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw& index=30

88BlueGT
01-28-2013, 11:59
Definitely need to use the dots on the floor. I have a TarpTent and I have this problem with mine as well. The only time I DONT slide off my pad is when I'm PERFECTLY level... and I do 99% of my camping outside of shelters so this becomes a problem.

I have not gotten around to using the dot system yet but I certainly plan on it once the weather breaks.

Odd Man Out
01-28-2013, 14:47
... The only time I DONT slide off my pad is when I'm PERFECTLY level...

Is part of the problem the bag sliding off the pad in addition to the pad sliding on the tent floor? Do tarp sleepers have less problem with this because they are sleeping directly on the pad?

Trail Bug
01-28-2013, 19:04
Agreeing with Karma13...also the hiker trash method would be to get a dish mat at the Dollar Store. I used one of the colored foam ones. It is light and just enough to keep your pad from moving.

Thanks Left Hand for the info. My wife picked one up a dish mat for $2.00 and it works great. Better than putting a gob of stuff on the pad or tent.

Franco
01-28-2013, 19:17
Those non slip mats will add some insulation but will also add volume and possibly weight.A dotted floor and striped mat adds between half to one ounce of weight.

BigRing
01-28-2013, 19:48
Place some dots of clear silicone adhesive on the bottom of your sleeping pad.

not_possible
02-02-2013, 00:45
Great tips, I typically use the bivy from my MSS to hold my pad under my bag kind of redundant when I'm in a tent. Even fits my long Q Core pad, but that setup sleeps as good as my bed. Not carrying all that for my thru hike though so I will be trying the dish mat method to see how it works for me.

ferdinand the bull
02-07-2013, 23:06
Seam seal your pad.

Dogwood
02-07-2013, 23:52
Couple of dots of Mcnett's Seam Grip or a few of the tiny really sticky felt, plastic, or rubber kitchen cabinet door bumpers sold at HD or Lowes would do the trick.

vtrek
02-08-2013, 17:52
seam grip works for me

leaftye
02-08-2013, 18:24
When I can, I try to find a spot with a slight depression for my torso to rest in. It helps me stay put, even if I'm sleeping on an incline.

Dogwood
02-08-2013, 19:18
When I can, I try to find a spot with a slight depression for my torso to rest in. It helps me stay put, even if I'm sleeping on an incline.

That can also be more comfortable than sleeping on totally flat ground if you are a side sleeper. I'll sometimes scoop out some ground for my hips and shoulders.

NotYet
02-08-2013, 21:34
Ditto on the seamseal dots on the floor...works great, adds no bulk.