PDA

View Full Version : 5 Day Hike

19malc48
01-23-2013, 12:50
G`day,
I wonder if you trekers can supply some advice for a British hill walker.
I`m coming over end of September 2013 for a weeks stay with my son who is in New York.
We would like to spend a few days on the trail.

Can you please suggest a five day hike that would give us a taste of the 2,200 miles.

Also can you suggest some good maps.

Thankyou

tds1195
01-23-2013, 13:08
You could do Fontana Dam to Davenport. It's around 70 miles but it's a pretty tough hike.

bigcranky
01-23-2013, 14:18
You'll want something in NY or New England, I'm sure, just to save the driving time. I'd look at the AT in Vermont, maybe starting at Mt Greylock in Massachusetts and ending at Manchester Center in VT. That's about 65 miles I think. Or start at Man Ctr and end at Killington or Woodstock 50 and 70 miles respectively.)

You can get the maps at any local outfitter. I'd also recommend the Thru-Hiker's Companion from ALDHA. If you join, you can download the PDF and just print the pages you need.

Feral Bill
01-23-2013, 15:47
No need to travel far. Take the bus to Bear Mountain NY, or Arden NY. These are on opposite sides of Harriman State Park, about 18 miles via AT. The park has numerous other trails to make any sort of trip you care for. The New York New Jersey Trails Conference has an excellent map set available.

BigHodag
01-23-2013, 20:45
Consider:

Pawling, NY to Hudson River - Take the weekends only train to the Appalachian Trail station and hike south to the Hudson River. You see a boardwalk, Dover Oak, Shenandoah Mountain, Nuclear Lake, several shelters, water pumps, walk on Puncheon, and visit a monastary. If you cross the Hudson, you can find a motel and clean up for the trip home.

Hudson River to Greenwood Lake - Take a bus to Bear Mountain State Park (South bank) or train to Manitou station (North bank) and hike south to Greenwood Lake. You see Hudson bridge, zoo, lowest point on AT, Bear Mountain, views of NYC, Tiorati Lake, Lemon Squeeezer, Agony Gring, and finish at a creamery with homemade ice cream and sodas. You also can catch the bus down the mountain into Greenwood Lake, grab a room, and have a celebratory dinner.

19malc48
01-26-2013, 16:20
Thankyou for your suggestions.

Will do some research on them