PDA

View Full Version : Food Suggestions - Light and Nutritious

goedde2
01-23-2013, 15:53
I haven't seen much written about GORP. (Good Old Raisins & Peanuts) This makes an excellent snack and when you add MNM's, it's even better. Here's what works for me and are some of my favorite hiker foods.

I use a Jet Boil so when cooking, these foods listed are primarily designed to work with it. I love that thing because it is compact, lightweight, self contained, and what you cook in is what you eat in. What could be more convenient?

P-nut butter with jelly in plastic jar. Works great with those thin bagels, and makes a good lunch. Lots of carbs = energy. A little heavy, but P-nut butter is the staple, regardless.
Snickers bars are good, and considered a standard by many, but they are heavy, and do melt, but hard to resist when you are in for a re-supply.
Splenda sweetener packs, which adds a little taste for your instant oatmeal.
Quaker Oats instant oatmeal. Takes about 30 seconds to boil your water, and in a minute you are eating your meal. Add raisons for a treat. Several varieties to choose from.
Quaker Oats Banana Nut Bread soft baked bars.
Mac N Cheese packs, with a pack of tuna or salmon added, and if you have them, a single pack of green peas. Makes an excellent main meal.
Jack Links beef jerky, or any brand really. Extra protein.

Belvita breakfast cookies. 4 in a pack, lots of whole grain and protein, sustained nutritious energy, several flavors.
Ramen Oriental style noodles. 2 cups water, huge portion compared to the usual Lipton soup choice, but both work well.
Idahoan instant potatoes. 2 cups water, huge meal. Haven't figured out yet what to combine them with and cook together. Possibly reconstituted beans for extra protein.
Land O Lakes Raspberry chocolate hot cocoa. Any brand will work, just add water. Swiss Miss with marshmallows is also good.
Small thin Bagels. Light, last a few days. great carbs, which translates to great energy.
Olive oil, which is 100%d fat, but a great energy source.
Uncle Ben's ready rice.
Power or Protein bars.
Crackers for that P-nut butter.
Travel packs of Milled Flax Seed by Hodgson Mill. Provides 1300 Mg of OMEGA-3 Oils per packet. Easily mixed in with anything. Promotes cardiovascular health, and supports the immune system.

Everything mentioned above can be found in your neighborhood Wal-Mart store, and it not, you can always improvise.

Hope this helps a bit. Happy Hiking.

lukabrazi
01-23-2013, 20:29
+1 on the Belvita breakfast cookies. I like the blueberry ones. I thought the other flavors were bland. Can you get the travel packs of flax at walmart?

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 20:33
I would love to see some travel packs of milled flax seeds at Walmart... I eat 2 TBSP of ground flax seeds everyday in yogurt... YUM!!

Papa D
01-23-2013, 20:45
Near East Parmesan Cous Cous - add foil pack of tuna and curry powder
Knorr Pasta Sides - lots of salt but easy light yummy
Idahoan Potato Bags
Here is an easy on - make Ramen Wet - skip the flavor pack (just salt an msg - yuck) - add peanut butter, soy sauce, hot sauce - -"Thai Noodles"
Oatmeal with peanut butter - much better than you think - individual packs are a rip-off - get a whole small canister - - if you're thru - hiking split it with 2 friends using zip-locks (cheap calories)
Fantastic Foods refried bean mix, shredded block cheese and pirate some taco bell sauce packs if you can - Quesadillas on trail
Barilla Tortellini - - make wet, add olive oil, spaghetti sauce spice pack and re-boil - shred some cheese if you have it
I also make my own GORP and eat it all day - Raisins, Peanuts, Almonds, M&Ms, other dried fruit, Dark Chocolate Chips, etc.
Flat Breads, Bagels, a small tub of Cream Cheese lasts longer than you think
Hard Cheese lasts pretty long too
Pop Tarts are empty calories but are standard thru-hiker junk food breakfast
Cliff Bars

one thing I don't eat a lot of is pre-made "backpacking food" like Mountain House (unless I'm given one or something) - they are expensive and not that good IMO - I usually get a few as xmas presents anyway

JAK
01-23-2013, 22:05
I like stuff that can be eaten as is or added to my staple, oatmeal.
Nuts, Seeds, Raisins, Dates, Dried Blueberries, Honey, Canola Oil.

You can premix maple syrup and butter. Just sayin'

goedde2
01-23-2013, 22:19
I would love to see some travel packs of milled flax seeds at Walmart... I eat 2 TBSP of ground flax seeds everyday in yogurt... YUM!!

HM, that's where I got mine, at Wal-Mart. Every store is just a little bit different, depending, but you might try asking to see if they carry that product. It might be on the shelves, but hidden. If it's the Omega 3's you're looking for, another great product is Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. Each capsule is 1000 Mg. One AM, one PM works for me, every day. I got mine at Sam's warehouse store. I can't get too excited with just the "fish oil" offered everywhere. I prefer the Pure Alaska Omega.

goedde2
01-23-2013, 22:29
+1 on the Belvita breakfast cookies. I like the blueberry ones. I thought the other flavors were bland. Can you get the travel packs of flax at walmart?

That's where I got mine, 21 individual packs, at .23 oz, or 6.5 g per pack. There is a website on the packet: www.HodgsonMill.com that you might check out for availability. Good luck with that.

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 22:33
HM, that's where I got mine, at Wal-Mart. Every store is just a little bit different, depending, but you might try asking to see if they carry that product. It might be on the shelves, but hidden. If it's the Omega 3's you're looking for, another great product is Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil. Each capsule is 1000 Mg. One AM, one PM works for me, every day. I got mine at Sam's warehouse store. I can't get too excited with just the "fish oil" offered everywhere. I prefer the Pure Alaska Omega.

Thanks goedde2.. I'll have a look see.. Very excited for it will be perfect for the upcoming hiking trip in May! :) I'll prob. sprinkle it on my oatmeal. I'm very interested in checking out the Pure Alaska Omega at Sam's as well. Thanks for sharing this list with us, very helpful!!

lukabrazi
01-24-2013, 06:26
I used to be able to get chicken breast in a foil pouch at the grocery store. Anyone see those any more?

JAK
01-24-2013, 08:47
chicken breast sounds good but isn't light, for the calories that is.
For meat to be light for the calories it needs to be dried out.

Light food is really all about reducing the water weight, and packaging. Fat is twice the calories of Carbs and Protien, but you can only push that so far. Once you decide fat/carbs/protien amounts it is just a matter of reducing water and packaging, weightwise.

Terry7
01-24-2013, 08:59
precooked bacon and wraps

DeerPath
01-24-2013, 10:10
I used to be able to get chicken breast in a foil pouch at the grocery store. Anyone see those any more?

I get SweetSue chicken breast in a foil pack at the grocery, 7 oz.. Pretty good with Mrs Dash or other spice. You'll find it next to the tuna foil packs.
Happy Trails

Bill Strebler
01-24-2013, 10:21
That would be nice-I could start growing a shiny winter coat for next year! It worked for my horses, anyway.

Pedaling Fool
01-24-2013, 10:22
I make my own GORP, but I think most hikers don't do GORP, rather they just get candy bars and other packaged foods. Maybe it's the peanuts and honey, but my GORP isn't eactly light, kind of heavy, but so is my pack.

goedde2
01-24-2013, 11:02
Thanks goedde2.. I'll have a look see.. Very excited for it will be perfect for the upcoming hiking trip in May! :) I'll prob. sprinkle it on my oatmeal. I'm very interested in checking out the Pure Alaska Omega at Sam's as well. Thanks for sharing this list with us, very helpful!!

HM, this might help you find what you are looking for. Hopes this makes it easier for you. :)

goedde2
01-24-2013, 11:08
[QUOTE=goedde2;1400551]HM, this might help you find what you are looking for. Hopes this makes it easier for you. :)

Forgot to ad. Just move your mouse cursor over the picture to make it appear larger, and much easier to read.

leaftye
01-24-2013, 11:22
I rely heavily on gorp too. I like the fruitier blends from Walmart and Costco instead of the traditional mix. I find that those are easier to eat a lot of, which more than makes up for the lower calorie density.

I don't see the point of Splenda except for lowering glycemic load. I always need more calories, so I'd opt for adding sugar instead.

I know a lot of people love pop tarts on the trail, and will eat them even when they're inevitably crushed to bits, but I get it all over my face and chest and hate that enough that I avoid pop tarts.

On trail projects, I'll bring sunflower seeds, olive oil and hot sauce. I'll put all those into almost everything I'd eat with the crew. It added a lot of calories and some kick.

topshelf
01-24-2013, 12:04
http://www.amazon.com/Carrington-Farms-Organic-12-Count-Packets/dp/B001LQRC3K/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_y

I forget how much this is in the store, but heres 36 packets for 20.

topshelf
01-24-2013, 12:05
o and you can also buy in bulk through Carrington Farms website, http://www.carringtonfarms.com/flax-paks-12ct-30ct-60ct-milled-flax/

goedde2
01-24-2013, 12:31
I rely heavily on gorp too. I like the fruitier blends from Walmart and Costco instead of the traditional mix. I find that those are easier to eat a lot of, which more than makes up for the lower calorie density.

I don't see the point of Splenda except for lowering glycemic load. I always need more calories, so I'd opt for adding sugar instead.

I know a lot of people love pop tarts on the trail, and will eat them even when they're inevitably crushed to bits, but I get it all over my face and chest and hate that enough that I avoid pop tarts.

On trail projects, I'll bring sunflower seeds, olive oil and hot sauce. I'll put all those into almost everything I'd eat with the crew. It added a lot of calories and some kick.

I'm in total agreement with you about preferring pre-packaged GORP, especially what is available at Costco. Using a simple snack pack baggie for a day's worth works for me. I also agree with you about avoiding the infamous pop tarts. I never have figured out that attraction. They are pretty disgusting, IMO. As for the Splenda, it is a sugar derivative with 2/3 less calories, and is different from Truvia, a natural sweetener. For those folks with an elevated glucose level, raw sugar might not be the best choice because of instant absorption into the blood stream, and hence a sugar spike concern for diabetics. I use Splenda in the instant oatmeal to give it a little snap, without as much of the worry of throwing the Glycemic Index out of whack. It's not the sugar that is the problem, it's the carbs. Unused carbs are stored in the bloodstream as glucose and unless you transfer that glucose (energy source) to your muscles via exercise, you risk becoming diabetic. On the other hand, a toasted "everything" bagel with peanut butter just before you head out to shovel off the snow in your driveway, that may take a few hours, makes the job a lot easier.

Studlintsean
01-24-2013, 13:17
I have never thru hiked but I also would recommend a solid cheese block and some salami (or pepperoni if your acid reflux can handle it) to throw on tortillas. Throw in a pack of mayo or mustard if you want to go gourmet.

Studlintsean
01-24-2013, 13:18
Sorry about the double post but, there is a cajun trail mix at Walmart that I would prefer over the standard GORP but I do enjoy GORP.

Rightfoot
01-24-2013, 13:43
An everything Bagel with Peanut Butter and Bacon !

coach lou
01-24-2013, 13:55
Spacefood Sticks

BirdBrain
01-24-2013, 14:10
Macadamia nuts. 2nd highest caloric dense nut on planet. Never heard of 1st. 718 calories for every 100 grams.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-facts-compare.php

Rocket Jones
01-24-2013, 14:38
For dinner, I like to take some of the Jack Links Teriyaki Steak Nuggest and stir them into my mashed potatoes. Add some pre-soaked dehydrated veggies and maybe a little cheese and hot sauce and you've got a meal that will stick with you for a while.

mainebob
01-24-2013, 15:02

It adds an oz but I leave pop tarts in the original box, and as I eat a pack I put something else is the box to keep it full. It keeps the pop tarts from crushing and even after almost 50 years of eating them I have never gotten sick of the cinnamon frosted ones.

RedBeerd
01-25-2013, 11:03
I prefer the organic pop tarts and "snickers" you can find at Whole Foods and other natural food stores. Just as tasty, less guilt. I love some sharp cheddar and salami. Mediterranean couscous with instant mashed and any other crap to throw in it..

ever4ward
01-25-2013, 15:55
We are relying (I almost said heavily:-) on outdoorherbivore.com for vegan and gluten free meals. Justin's nut butter packets and trail mix will be the hiking/snacking food. I have seen average cost and weight estimates for daily food requirements elsewhere on this forum and outdoor herbivore came in under both. We just finished eating nothing but their meals for a week 3/day and enjoyed them very much. Only complaint was we all put on weight!

kidchill
01-25-2013, 18:18
Organic pop-tarts and snickers? ***? And why feel guilty? You will be burning that and a whole lot more! On my through, this is everything I ate: pop-tarts, honey buns, cheese danishes (the ones you find in the gas station that are horrible for you), bagels, pita bread, tuna packets, pretzels, cheese, jack links (the one with pretzel/cheese/meat sticks), cream cheese, ramen, mac n cheese, snickers, payday (got sick of snickers), bars (power bars, balance, cliff, nutrigrain, etc.), and fruit snacks are always awesome. One food I would love to point out is combos! Yep, combos!!! It's either 240 or 280 calories for the small pack that weighs like 1.1oz...that's awesome return right there! When it's hot out, eating pretzels and cheese helps with loading up on salts. The fruit snacks are great 'cause it's just a different texture and flavor and if you can't find that, go with gummi bears/worms. Also, I cooked everything in a freezer bag with a cozy; if you do this, the easy mac works significantly better then the whole box mac n cheese. I also can't stress enough about drink mixes. If you tire easily of water, definitely bring drink mixes! If you can find Gatorade it's a plus cause you'll also pick up carbs and electrolytes.