PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Dome to Bears Den in a day

mtnkngxt
01-23-2013, 20:21
Planning on sectioning from route 522 in Front Royal to Harpers Ferry starting March 2nd.

So I figure Monday the 4th I'll get up at the first hint of sunrise and high tail it from Dick's Dome to Bears Den Hostel and spend the night there.

Anybody done this stretch in a day? How hard is that section. I'm in good shape but I'm missing half a lung so PUDs can whip me pretty good.

Thanks.

Papa D
01-23-2013, 20:50
You'll be fine - this part of the trail is known as the roller coaster - - it's not that hard - - very overstated - - pretty hike - - you'll likely see a bear or two - - have fun.

SCRUB HIKER
01-23-2013, 21:17
Did just that with time to kill at Bears Den on my hike. Thru-hiker consensus is that The Roller Coaster is overrated but if you're coming from Tidewater and you say PUDs can whip you, it still won't be easy. Just get up early so you don't feel rushed once you hit the Roller Coaster, which starts after Rod Hollow Shelter. Or, in other words, too much Dicks Dome leaves you stuck with a Rod Hollow.

For what it's worth, the Bears Den was one of my favorite hostels on the whole trail.

juma
01-23-2013, 22:34
If ya really feel whacked you can stop short of bears den at the sam moore shelter. great shelter, separate roofed dining area, and fair spring.

tdoczi
01-24-2013, 08:17
ive done it, but unlike most others I wouldn't call it easy. is it the hardest stretch of trail on the whole AT? no, not even close. that doesn't make it "easy" though.

joshuasdad
01-24-2013, 08:26
While your first few miles will be easy, the rest are not...for me anyway. The hills in the last part of that section are the definition of PUDs. In 1100 miles, I have not hiked a more difficult section. Granted, I have not hiked NH/ME, but I do not envision that any section south of NH will be more miserable.

On the other hand, I am relatively sure this section would be easy for a young conditioned hiker with strong ankles, as opposed to a middle aged, undertall, weekend warrior like myself. YMMV.

Hope you have fun.

tdoczi
01-24-2013, 10:07
I do not envision that any section south of NH will be more miserable.

havign hiked from waynesboro to grafton notch, id call it easily one of the 3 hardest 20 mile sections between waynesboro and kinsman notch.

lunatic
01-24-2013, 22:07
That entire hike is a fun section. Even with half a lung you should be able to complete DD to BD in a day. I always sing The Gambler when I hike - know when to walk away know when to run. Pick up the pace in the flatter/easier sections to make up for going slower through the roller coaster and rougher sections. I know, doesn't really make sense but it came to me on the trail during a delirious 35 mile day in PA and now I always go back to it. Enjoy.

mtnkngxt
01-25-2013, 07:35
Sounds like I'll be good to go then. Will help that my pack with 4 days food and 40oz of water comes in under 14 pounds. Planning on having a great week off from school.

tdoczi
01-25-2013, 08:15
Sounds like I'll be good to go then. Will help that my pack with 4 days food and 40oz of water comes in under 14 pounds. Planning on having a great week off from school.

don't know exactly what your itinerary is, but you mention 4 days. its only 53 miles or so total and youre doing 20 in one day, through the hardest part of the hike, leaving 23 miles for the other 3 days? north of the bears den truly is easy (except the first couple miles), you can knock out bears den to HF in one day much easier than you can do dicks dome to bears den in one day. south of dicks dome to FR is also much easier.

Kerosene
01-25-2013, 10:52
I did that same section in mid-October 2001 as an in-shape 40-something, covering the then 55 miles in 4 full hiking days (actually 3 full and 2 half-days) without ever feeling as if I was really pushing it. The Rollercoaster was significantly over-hyped in my opinion, but I also had very pleasant hiking weather.

The first afternoon I went from Route 522 to Manassas Gap Shelter (10.7 miles), but probably could have reached Dick's Dome if I had wanted to.
The second day took me to Rod Hollow Shelter (14.3 miles) where I spent a very cold evening alone listening to the rain.
The third day was a stroll to Bears Den (9.8 miles). If I hadn't wanted to stay at the hostel I could have easily made it to Blackburn Trail Center.
I reached David Lesser Memorial Shelter early in the afternoon on the fourth day (11.1), and probably could have reached my car in Harpers Ferry if I had really wanted to crank out a 20, but I was already ahead of my original schedule and not ready to drive home to Michigan yet.
I stretched out the last 9.5 miles to the car, encountering a mountain lion (yes, really!) about 4 miles outside of town that got my heart pumping.

All in all, a very easy section that filled in a long-standing gap in my AT mileage from my hikes in the 70s.

mtnkngxt
01-25-2013, 21:34
I did that same section in mid-October 2001 as an in-shape 40-something, covering the then 55 miles in 4 full hiking days (actually 3 full and 2 half-days) without ever feeling as if I was really pushing it. The Rollercoaster was significantly over-hyped in my opinion, but I also had very pleasant hiking weather.

The first afternoon I went from Route 522 to Manassas Gap Shelter (10.7 miles), but probably could have reached Dick's Dome if I had wanted to.
The second day took me to Rod Hollow Shelter (14.3 miles) where I spent a very cold evening alone listening to the rain.
The third day was a stroll to Bears Den (9.8 miles). If I hadn't wanted to stay at the hostel I could have easily made it to Blackburn Trail Center.
I reached David Lesser Memorial Shelter early in the afternoon on the fourth day (11.1), and probably could have reached my car in Harpers Ferry if I had really wanted to crank out a 20, but I was already ahead of my original schedule and not ready to drive home to Michigan yet.
I stretched out the last 9.5 miles to the car, encountering a mountain lion (yes, really!) about 4 miles outside of town that got my heart pumping.

All in all, a very easy section that filled in a long-standing gap in my AT mileage from my hikes in the 70s.

Not surprised about the Mountain Lion. We've had 1 down in Wise County a few years back. Saw him around the college and then Forest Service was tracking sightings out over High Knob.

Blissful
01-25-2013, 22:45
havign hiked from waynesboro to grafton notch, id call it easily one of the 3 hardest 20 mile sections between waynesboro and kinsman notch.

It is a tough part because of the relentless ups and downs. A thru hiker in condition will say it's easy. For someone fresh in the trail trench, it is not.

tdoczi
01-25-2013, 23:48
It is a tough part because of the relentless ups and downs. A thru hiker in condition will say it's easy. For someone fresh in the trail trench, it is not.

its all relative. I would think a sobo thru hiker would acknowledge its the hardest section they've hiked for at least a few hundred miles. I don't think anyone ever gets in shape to the point where they don't notice that quickly alternating up and down a few hundred feet at a time is harder than walking 10 flat miles. I think what happens is that since it gets a bit of hype everyone wants to jump up and say how not hard it is, and compared to NH or ME it isn't, but that doesn't make it "easy."

Stofko
02-24-2013, 14:31
The devil’s roller coaster is 13.5 miles of fun. If you’relucky enough to get on in between June and August the 95 degree heat and thetotal lack of a breeze along with lovely Virginia nat (small flying bug) adds alittle something extra to the ride. Bears Dens is a great hostel and should notbe missed. Even if you’re not staying the night, but the rides not over it’s a fewmiles short of the coasters end point. If you took a basketball with you it andset it down just about any place along the 13.5 miles of trail it would rollway from you. More than likely you would never see it again and several hikeswould be telling the story of a fast moving object that they barely got out ofthe way of. There just nothing flat about this part of the trail and it comeswith its fair share of rocks but for me the worst part is pounding my feet andknees take going down. It’s like jumping off the second step and landing on onefoot 2000 times. Then switch to the other foot for another 2000 It will makeyou happy to climb. The shelters are well maintained and there is a steam ofgood water at the bottom of every hollow. Enjoy!

Sly
02-24-2013, 16:04
Planning on sectioning from route 522 in Front Royal to Harpers Ferry starting March 2nd.

Here you go...

Country Roads
02-26-2013, 15:58
The ups in this section are steep but short. I actually disliked the downs worse, hard on the knees. I was happy to head from Sam Moore shelter and get to Bears Den because I knew I would not have to go DOWN again that day. Sam Moore shelter does give you an option if it is getting late. There is also a really sweet (but dry) campsite before starting down to Sam Moore shelter. If you are in good shape and packing light, you should be able to make the distance. The water supplies are pretty good (I hiked this section in a very dry year), but I did use both chemical and filter, since Human activity is upstream of pretty much all the water sources.

Stofko
02-26-2013, 17:39
Just a rough number. Looks like in the 13.5 miles youwill climb 4000ft and descend 2800ft on the roller coaster.