PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown Yo-Yo attempt.

Pages : [1] 2

Sly
01-23-2013, 20:26
I have a feeling this guy isn't going to make it.

Follow The Adventures of Dakota Joe as he attempts to yo-yo all three of America's longest national scenic trails in order to complete the triple crown.... The Appalachian Trail, The Continental Divide Trail, and The Pacific Trail

https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe/

Lone Wolf
01-23-2013, 20:28
never judge a book by it's cover

Sly
01-23-2013, 20:31
Wanna bet?

mtnkngxt
01-23-2013, 20:33
Meh, he's a follower of John Moses Browning his pack will probably weigh seventy pounds and carry seven days of food.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2013, 20:33
bet that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

mtnkngxt
01-23-2013, 20:38
bet that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover?

I'm guessing he's ex mil and probably been lugging an 80lb pack up and down the Hindu Kush for the last 18 months or so. I'd give him a fair shake at doing it.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2013, 20:45
that photo is just a plant to throw y'all off

max patch
01-23-2013, 20:49
Blue jeans and a BB gun? lol

Coffee Rules!
01-23-2013, 20:52
He plans to yo-yo all three? Damn. So that's a double Triple Crown then?

SCRUB HIKER
01-23-2013, 21:05
He plans to yo-yo all three? Damn. So that's a double Triple Crown then?

I'd call it a Triple Double-Crown. His trail name could be Oscar Robertson, or maybe just The Big O.

Coffee Rules!
01-23-2013, 21:30
How would it be a triple Double Crown? It's already called the Triple Crown, and he's effectively doing it twice.

hikerboy57
01-23-2013, 21:33
How would it be a triple Double Crown? It's already called the Triple Crown, and he's effectively doing it twice.
triple yo yo crown, okay?could we get back to judging him even though we dont have any information?its what we do best

Rasty
01-23-2013, 21:40
triple yo yo crown, okay?could we get back to judging him even though we dont have any information?its what we do best

I kind of like the double/triple semantics argument better then judging his abilities.

Chuckie V
01-23-2013, 21:50
could we get back to judging him even though we dont have any information?its what we do best

I agree! I know we're told from a very young age not to judge a book by its cover, but this is one book I hope I don't have to read in person. Virtually, maybe.

Is he really planning to lug the gun en route, I wonder? I really don't care to read (even virtually) the link provided above.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2013, 21:56
If this doesn't end tragically, it should prove to be entertaining. From what I can see of the quality of his gear and clothing, the former maybe more likely than the latter.

Sly
01-23-2013, 21:58
never judge a book by it's cover

You're telling me? I happen to be older and possibly wiser.

I'm not judging him at all, he's probably a great guy. I just don't think it's going to happen, by him or anyone else.

jj2044
01-23-2013, 22:03
Well, i went the site and i kind of doubt he will make. But he doesnt seem to be bragging to much. he just seems like a young man that had no idea what he was getting into. he talks about sweating, and how he should dump the cotten cloths, sleep with his water bottle a bunch of basic stuff, all stuff most hikers know when its cold. he also talks about not getting to maine in june or july.. so unless this triple yo-yo is going to take 3 years he is full of crap. At least he isnt begging for money, or coming here and telling all the hikers they dont know what they are talking about, or we" just dont understand how driven he is " like some of the past. maybe he just said that to get people like us to look at his site.... damnn

trapper
01-23-2013, 22:08
Blue jeans and a BB gun? loldon't forget the cigarette hanging out of his mouth

Slo-go'en
01-23-2013, 22:09
At least he didn't say he was gonna try and do it all in a year or shatter any land speed records. A yo-yo does imply one continues trip, but that only has to be for each trail individually. It will be interesting to see if he lasts more then an month out there...

hikerboy57
01-23-2013, 22:12
met a guy in maine named shelter stu, had a guitar and his retriever, said as of september 1st hed be on the trail for a full year(give or tke a few off days ) had lost his job, decided he wanted to do the atand really didnt care at all how long it ould take. he ws just loving life on the trail.
maybe all this guy wants to do is enjoy trail life for a year or few

Sly
01-23-2013, 22:19
i went the site and i kind of doubt he will make.

No kidding.

Without "judging" him or his abilities all I need to do it look at the weather window of opportunity. If it were to be a true Yo-Yo (completing the three trails before reversing order) he'd be starting the second of the western trails no earlier than September, and would have to do that again immediately after.

Most hikers are off the PCT or CDT by October, and not about to start a Yo-Yo of even one of them.

Coffee Rules!
01-23-2013, 22:43

I kind of like the double/triple semantics argument better then judging his abilities.

With the level of talent around here, I'm sure we can accomplish both the semantics argument and judging him at the same time. Hell, on a good day we could probably combine the two.

Darwin13
01-23-2013, 22:51
if he runs out of supplies he will be able to shoot with his gun, stab with his knife or asphyxiate with his cigs pretty much anyone or anything! I say he makes it.

mtnkngxt
01-24-2013, 01:51
Glad to see politics are still banned on WB unless you're whining about that pesky 2nd Amendment.

moytoy
01-24-2013, 04:00
If that gun goes off he will lose that leg:)
Posing like that in NY or NJ could be problematic or is it only a problem if the gun is concealed in NY.
At any rate I like his RAMBO look!
Or is he the new Marlboro Man?
He could also be the new "fun and gun dude".

mrcoffeect
01-24-2013, 09:05
met a guy in maine named shelter stu, had a guitar and his retriever, said as of september 1st hed be on the trail for a full year(give or tke a few off days ) had lost his job, decided he wanted to do the atand really didnt care at all how long it ould take. he ws just loving life on the trail.
maybe all this guy wants to do is enjoy trail life for a year or few
I met shelter stu at old orchard shelter at the end of june this year,. Great guy, told me same thing about being out since september. Had one hell of a big pack on his back.

joshuasdad
01-24-2013, 09:34
Almost any AT thru-hiker could yo-yo the triple crown. After all, "Everywhere is in walking distance...if you have the time."

With an early start, AT can be yo-yoed in a year. Find some seasonal work on the Mexican Border for two winters, and that takes care of the CDT and PCT over a span of 4 years. Unless you are a Scott Williamson, you are not going to yo-yo the CDT or PCT in a single year.

Squeaky 2
01-24-2013, 10:15
what is the time frame? 2 years? would be possible to do it less thats for sure. in most years the PCT or CDT yo yo is with in the reach of many hikers. you would only have to average 25 miles per day to get it done. either way he is going to be at the mercy of mother nature!!!!!!

Mags
01-24-2013, 10:51
Hmm...the gear looks interesting.

:)

COmplete with blue tarp and gear precariously strapped to a bike. Reminds me of some locals here in town...

Wish the guy luck. The AT is pretty forgiving overall for someone not prepared vs other trails. MAybe he can learn and adjust along the way.

OTOH, the wave of people attempting these over-the-top feats has begun.

Tis the season! Grab the popcorn....

Malto
01-24-2013, 10:52
It would make a huge difference whether this is a true yo yo of the Triple Crown or a yo yo of each trail. A yo yo of the triple crown would be a much bigger challenge since you pretty much have to do it with the AT last and then first on the return. I spent a lot of time talking through different scenarios with Swami as he was finishing his record breaking triple crown hike, he hiked the three trails in 236 days. To turn around and head back you would have to be very flexible with weather on the AT, finish early then run like heck down the other two trails. Keep in mind that even a single Calender Year Triple Crown is hard. Know nothing about this guy but look at the experience that Swami had prior to getting on the PCT for the Triple Crown.

As far as three yo yos. The AT is straight-forward. I would think this would be the first anyone would do. If this isn't fairly easy then the other two trails would be much harder due to the shorter window. The other two require that the hiker has his act together AND a bit of weather luck. Good luck to him, with the exception of Swami we haven't had anyone recently that was able to walk the walk with respect to this "ultra-thru" hikes and the funny thing was that Swami never did talk the talk prior or even after his hike.

Sly
01-24-2013, 11:24
in most years the PCT or CDT yo yo is with in the reach of many hikers. you would only have to average 25 miles per day to get it done. either way he is going to be at the mercy of mother nature!!!!!!

Yeah, the PCT, or the CDT, but all three? You're one of a handful of hikers I'd say has an outside chance of such a feat.

Sly
01-24-2013, 11:31
It would make a huge difference whether this is a true yo yo of the Triple Crown or a yo yo of each trail. A yo yo of the triple crown would be a much bigger challenge since you pretty much have to do it with the AT last and then first on the return.

I would think a Triple Crown Yo-Yo to be hiking all three trails once, then reversing your steps. It appears the AT is first on his list. Of course, if he plans on hiking with the weather and taking the winters off, his chances go up tremendously.

Storm
01-24-2013, 11:31
Posing like that in NY or NJ could be problematic or is it only a problem if the gun is concealed in NY.
At any rate I like his RAMBO look!
Or is he the new Marlboro Man?
He could also be the new "fun and gun dude".

If that gun goes off he might lose more than a leg. Just another hiker wannabe like me.

WingedMonkey
01-24-2013, 11:42
Keep talking about him folks. You'll make him famous and increase his web traffic. He'll have trail angels following him at least as far as he makes it.

:sun

Malto
01-24-2013, 11:51
I would think a Triple Crown Yo-Yo to be hiking all three trails once, then reversing your steps. It appears the AT is first on his list. Of course, if he plans on hiking with the weather and taking the winters off, his chances go up tremendously.

Agree on your definition of yo-yo. With that definition then he could hike, AT/CDT/PCT then take the winter off and reroute. The only way I know of that you could possible go relatively continuously is to do PCT/CDT/AT/AT/CDT/PCT. OF the three trails the AT is the only one that you could do significant distance in the winter and even the you would be throttled back when you hit New England early unless you had incredibly fortunate weather.

A very strong hiker could possibly do an AT yo-yo then a PCT southbound in a year. Take the winter off then start again. I don't see any way that you could do three legs of the PCT and/or CDT in a year so it would end up going over three seasons. You would have to do about 6600 miles (KM north on pct, Nobo CDT and Sobo CDT to New Mexico) between a window of say mid May and maybe mid October. That is 6600 miles in 150 days for an average of 44 miles per day. I believe Swami holds the speed record for the CDT at 74 days with almost a 35mpd average, he stated that he probably went about as full out on that trail as any of his hikes.

Grammie Bear
01-24-2013, 13:12
A few months ago--after another wasted day at the unemployment office--Dakota Joe was sitting around in his mother's kitchen with a copy of Backpacker when Mom comes in and starts nagging. "When are you going to stop dreaming and do something with your life?" Then, Dakota Joe's uncle forces himself to glance away from the TV and yells, "Why don't you get a job? What's wrong with young people today?" Dakota Joe rolls his eyes and Mom swats him. "Take your uncle a beer and don't be so fresh." About that time Dakota Joe's sister whines, "Mooooom, tell Joey to stop leaving his dirty clothes under the bed. Just because I let him sleep in my floor doesn't mean I want his stink all in the air." And then Dakota Joe's little brother tosses in his two cents. "Joe unplugged my XBox!" Mom says, "Joey? Joey, what am I going to do with you? Now, go on get out of my way". Dakota looks for a friendly face, but even Fido's eyes seem to say 'what's wrong with you?' Dakota Joe takes a deep breath and thinks back to a time when life was good..... In his mind he's back at Camp Scout..... "That's it. I'm outa here. I'll show you all. I'm going to Triple Crown yo-yo the most famous trails in America!" "But Joey, you don't even have a cell phone." "Don't worry Ma, you can follow me on Facebook. I'm going to make something of myself. You'll see."

Maybe he's hoping for a shot on Survivor.

Black Viper
01-24-2013, 13:38

Clearly, this has to be called the Sextuple Crown.

neighbor dave
01-24-2013, 14:42
A few months ago--after another wasted day at the unemployment office--Dakota Joe was sitting around in his mother's kitchen with a copy of Backpacker when Mom comes in and starts nagging. "When are you going to stop dreaming and do something with your life?" Then, Dakota Joe's uncle forces himself to glance away from the TV and yells, "Why don't you get a job? What's wrong with young people today?" Dakota Joe rolls his eyes and Mom swats him. "Take your uncle a beer and don't be so fresh." About that time Dakota Joe's sister whines, "Mooooom, tell Joey to stop leaving his dirty clothes under the bed. Just because I let him sleep in my floor doesn't mean I want his stink all in the air." And then Dakota Joe's little brother tosses in his two cents. "Joe unplugged my XBox!" Mom says, "Joey? Joey, what am going to do with you? Now, go on get out of my way". Dakota looks for a friendly face, but even Fido's eyes seem to say 'What's wrong with you?' Dakota Joe takes a deep breath and thinks back to a time when life was good..... In his mind he's back at Camp Scout..... "That's it. I'm outa here. I'll show you all. I'm going to Triple Crown yo-yo the most famous trails in America!" "But Joey, you don't even have a cell phone." "Don't worry Ma, you can follow me on Facebook. I'm going to make something of myself. You'll see."

Maybe he's hoping for a shot on Survivor.

perfect! i like his style, hey why not give it a shot, ya only live once! dakota joe!

Hosaphone
01-24-2013, 15:23

If that gun goes off he might lose more than a leg. Just another hiker wannabe like me.

Sorry to derail, but guns do not "go off" unless the trigger is pulled. Of course, if he's "mexican carrying" without a holster, there's a good chance that the trigger snags on something as he draws or "holsters" it, and it could discharge. But that would be a negligent discharge as a result of him being an idiot.

When you hear the news say "the gun went off", they are just trying to make the person look less like the idiot they are. There is no such thing as an accident when it comes to guns - only people being negligent and stupid.

Studlintsean
01-24-2013, 15:43
Subscribing to thread....this is great

Squeaky 2
01-24-2013, 16:02
Yeah, the PCT, or the CDT, but all three? You're one of a handful of hikers I'd say has an outside chance of such a feat.

i disagree i met loads of people that could average enough miles per day to yoyo the PCT trouble is too many people have said its hard which unfortunately they believe. a bit of a mental block rather than physical one. i dont know what way he going to attempt this, to even stay out hiking until it was done would require unbelievable toughness with just weather, let alone the trail conditions and being able to carry enough food to make the next road even if its open!!!

treesloth
01-24-2013, 16:04
Subscribing to thread....this is great

+1. Been thoroughly enjoying it since its inception. I'll admit that when I saw the soup cans in the guys food stash, and all his other heavy crap, I gave him no hope. But he'll learn as he goes. Maybe he's the dark horse that no one would bet on. He certainly has some minerals to him.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:12
Frankly, putting so much effort into judging others is super lame. Especially when they're doing something they clearly love. Whether or not he succeeds has absolutely no effect on your life. Why don't you just say "good luck. Let me know if I can help" and leave it at that. Everyone is at a different place in life. This kinda crap is why I lurked here for more that 2 years before just now joining. One of the most uptight forums I've ever seen.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2013, 16:32
I think were all saying "good luck dude" and he's gonna need a lot of it. The guy started a facebook page and announced he was going to do something extrodinary. So we take a look at him, his experiance, his gear and shake our heads in disbelief. Naturally, the discussion turns to what are his chances and how such a feat could actually be done.

Storm
01-24-2013, 16:33
Sorry to derail, but guns do not "go off" unless the trigger is pulled. Of course, if he's "mexican carrying" without a holster, there's a good chance that the trigger snags on something as he draws or "holsters" it, and it could discharge. But that would be a negligent discharge as a result of him being an idiot.

When you hear the news say "the gun went off", they are just trying to make the person look less like the idiot they are. There is no such thing as an accident when it comes to guns - only people being negligent and stupid.

Just saying you have to be an idiot to carry a gun inside your waistband without a holster.

Chuckie V
01-24-2013, 16:36
Frankly, putting so much effort into judging others is super lame. Especially when they're doing something they clearly love. Whether or not he succeeds has absolutely no effect on your life. Why don't you just say "good luck. Let me know if I can help" and leave it at that. Everyone is at a different place in life. This kinda crap is why I lurked here for more that 2 years before just now joining. One of the most uptight forums I've ever seen.

Humans judge each other; it's what we do. And while I can't speak for the others here, I know most of what I say or write in these instances is in jest (I truly wish this gun-toting, cigarette-smoking, knife-carrying character well, and I'm certain I'd be buying him a drink if our paths happened to cross); so before you go complaining that those of us here are the uptight ones, I suggest you work on your sense of humour and loosen your holster a little. Whether we think the guy makes it or not has no bearing on whether he does, I can assure you of that. And I'll bet that those of us debating his chances all wish him well. The only angry person here looks to be you.

Laughing at ourselves and others is not necessarily a bad thing. As mom used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say about others...come sit with me."

:) (smiley face inserted to back my stance, and as an apparently necessary disclaimer of sorts...)

max patch
01-24-2013, 16:39

You just don't like reading about the extra difficulties thru hikers have who take their dog with them. You'll learn.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:43
Naturally, the discussion turns to what are his chances and how such a feat could actually be done.

What's "natural" about that? Considering you don't know him, you're missing the only piece of info that really matters. Plenty of people do absurd things every day with nothing more than sheer stubborn determination. Picking at his gear, experience, and schedule (based on broad assumptions) gets you no closer to knowing his chances of success. There's nothing "natural" about convincing yourself a stranger will fail at something that matters to them. A few years ago I was in Crested Butte for the summer. I ended up meeting/hanging with a guy named Ezra Cooley while he was resting healing. He was on a mission to ride his horse around the world with a packhorse in tow. He was raising money for charity. We all thought he was nuts. A Few years later he had zig zagged across the US and Australia. He got stopped in Europe and Asia because of political issues. He didn't make it around the world (yet. He's still working on it) but he did have a wild, incredible adventure that changed his life. Something I will never do. That's cool to me regardless of the little crap along the way.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:47
Just saying you have to be an idiot to carry a gun inside your waistband without a holster.
It's a BB gun. That was for a picture. Some of the best humans I've ever met have been gun/knife toting, cig smoking, crazy people.

Sly
01-24-2013, 17:39
What's "natural" about that? Considering you don't know him, you're missing the only piece of info that really matters. Plenty of people do absurd things every day with nothing more than sheer stubborn determination. Picking at his gear, experience, and schedule (based on broad assumptions) gets you no closer to knowing his chances of success. There's nothing "natural" about convincing yourself a stranger will fail at something that matters to them. A few years ago I was in Crested Butte for the summer. I ended up meeting/hanging with a guy named Ezra Cooley while he was resting healing. He was on a mission to ride his horse around the world with a packhorse in tow. He was raising money for charity. We all thought he was nuts. A Few years later he had zig zagged across the US and Australia. He got stopped in Europe and Asia because of political issues. He didn't make it around the world (yet. He's still working on it) but he did have a wild, incredible adventure that changed his life. Something I will never do. That's cool to me regardless of the little crap along the way.

Have you had any experience with horseback riding cross country? So of course, you couldn't give an informed opinion whether he'd make it.

However, I have hiked all three trails, some of which I spent years planning and reading everything about. It's an extremely difficult task, only very few are capable, so the chances are, my assumption, will turn out to be correct.

MyName1sMud
01-24-2013, 17:43
Glad to see politics are still banned on WB unless you're whining about that pesky 2nd Amendment.
That I will die before I lose.

AR15 for the win

bennett254
01-24-2013, 17:56
Have you had any experience with horseback riding cross country? So of course, you couldn't give an informed opinion whether he'd make it.

However, I have hiked all three trails, some of which I spent years planning and reading everything about. It's an extremely difficult task, only very few are capable, so the chances are, my assumption, will turn out to be correct.

Yes. I grew up with a Morgan and an Arabian. The Morgan was my personal horse.

Who cares if you're right? Since when has being right mattered in life? You're sending negativity out into the world directed at a complete stranger who's just having fun. Besides, changing your expectations as life changes isn't the same thing failure.

Hosaphone
01-24-2013, 18:48

Fair. Also, I may have been too harsh - it's impossible to tell 100% whether he's using a holster or not in the picture.

It's a BB gun. That was for a picture. Some of the best humans I've ever met have been gun/knife toting, cig smoking, crazy people.

Glad to hear it was just a BB gun.

MyName1sMud
01-24-2013, 18:56
I'm still not seeing exactly why people are thinking that is a BB Gun. Did he post somewhere saying it was?

Mags
01-24-2013, 18:57
It's that time of the year! :D

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

Slo-go'en
01-24-2013, 19:05
I'm still not seeing exactly why people are thinking that is a BB Gun. Did he post somewhere saying it was?

You got to go to his facebook page and scrowl down past a zillion pictures to get near the begining. It is there that he claims the pistal in his pocket is a BB gun.

At the moment, all we can do is hope he has the cash to buy some real hiking gear and clothes at Mountain Crossings so he is less likely to die in the next couple of weeks out there.

Odd Man Out
01-24-2013, 19:07
Clearly, this has to be called the Sextuple Crown.

I see - yet another way to have sex on the trail.

From his FB Page:

"Hey Guys, Dakota Joe here, and to clear up any misconceptions, my pistol is a coleman Co2 bb gun. Just didn't want anyone thinking I was an armed hooligan. Firearms are not allowed on the trail."

So would it be judgmental of me to point out he doesn't know how to spell CO2?
Chemistry professors are offended!

Sly
01-24-2013, 19:09

Who cares if you're right? Since when has being right mattered in life? You're sending negativity out into the world directed at a complete stranger who's just having fun. Besides, changing your expectations as life changes isn't the same thing failure.

You still haven't rode cross country.

I never said he'd fail, only that I doubted he'd complete a Triple Crown YoYo, which isn't failure in it self. He could hike 100 miles and have the experience of his life.

If anyone is being negative, it's you.

Chaco Taco
01-24-2013, 19:16
You got a lot to learn about this website. You gotta just let it go dude, seriously. It aint worth it

bennett254
01-24-2013, 19:26
You got a lot to learn about this website. You gotta just let it go dude, seriously. It aint worth it

I understand this site just fine. That's why a lurked for years before bothering to wade in the crap. If it wasn't so uptight and negative it would be much much larger with even better content. I'm glad no one warned Grandma Gatewood that she was unprepared. Dude could easily end up on this thread and be filled with negative thoughts that would make it much more difficult for him. I say look for ways it's possible. Not reasons he'll fail. I believe strongly in sending positive energy to a cause. I've seen it work.

Chaco Taco
01-24-2013, 19:28
Whatever you say dude

I understand this site just fine. That's why a lurked for years before bothering to wade in the crap. If it wasn't so uptight and negative it would be much much larger with even better content. I'm glad no one warned Grandma Gatewood that she was unprepared. Dude could easily end up on this thread and be filled with negative thoughts that would make it much more difficult for him. I say look for ways it's possible. Not reasons he'll fail. I believe strongly in sending positive energy to a cause. I've seen it work.

moytoy
01-24-2013, 19:50

Don't take that comment or that picture too seriously. The guy is posing for the camera. If we could see his boots they are probably combat boots.

Hosaphone
01-24-2013, 20:00
Don't take that comment or that picture too seriously. The guy is posing for the camera. If we could see his boots they are probably combat boots.

Just a pet peeve of mine... Can't stand seeing "the cop's gun went off and hit someone by accident" in the news all the time. To people without experience with guns, it makes it seem like the gun was to blame when really the person handling it was being an idiot.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2013, 20:10
it makes it seem like the gun was to blame when really the person handling it was being an idiot.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of idiots with guns. So, do you get rid of the idiots or the guns? But that's a whole n'other issue that we should probably stay away from here.

canoe
01-24-2013, 20:52

LOL its just walkin. If you got the time and money anyone can do it. lol

Sly
01-24-2013, 21:47
LOL its just walkin. If you got the time and money anyone can do it. lol

Yeah, that what 80% of the people think before they start out and soon find out otherwise. :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
01-24-2013, 21:51
now that youve decided you would wade in the crap, why not just give out that positive energy to cancel out all of our so called negativity. i guarantee you dakota joe is laughing his a** off if hes reading any of this. youve lurked here for 2 years and havent found the sense of humor, irony, sarcasm, compassion crankiness,idiots and morons,righteous,entitled,ignorant,stupid, laziness. what were you expecting?theres a community of some really really helpful informative experienced people here, many of whom have posted in this thread, so really, take a look in the mirror and see the guy whos throwing out all the negative energy right now.in the thread where you introduced yourself and your dogs,read your own words and see how defensive you were in your posts.
as a new member you should also become acquainted with the ignore button.
anyway do you think he can do it?

treesloth
01-24-2013, 23:04
I believe strongly in sending positive energy to a cause. I've seen it work.

Example(s) please.

Firefighter503
01-25-2013, 01:48
Good luck to him. Anyone find a trail journal yet, or is he just posting to FB?

Sly
01-25-2013, 04:26
Good luck to him. Anyone find a trail journal yet, or is he just posting to FB?

His latest message on Facebook. I'll let you all draw your own conclusion with his second and last lines.

Hey Guys, Dakota Joe here; this just might be a long post so bear with me while I type it out on my semi-smart phone. You want to know something amazing I bet you probably guessed already, but I have never backpacked in my entire life. I am not just a rookie at it, I'm am a putz. When I was a kid I loved strolling through the woods and exploring, but I have never ever backpacked anywhere and never stayed in the woods more than a night at a time.

Now, I have travelled 741 miles to get to Amicalola falls, and hiked to Woody Gap. Why did one man set out on such a monumental task, ill-equipped, in-expeirenced, and with a hope and a prayer? That is simple to answer, because that is exactly the kind of guy I am. I am an ordained minister with credentials from the Universal Life Church in Modesto, California. I have lived in England and travelled to more countries than most people will ever dream of. I have saved lives with Suicidal Suburbia, my you tube page. Google it, youll find it. One of those lives saved is actually a fan of this page and a reason for one of my side trips.

I have always done what I said I would do. I love hiking. I love the feeling of the wilderness surrounding me and the views I have seen in the last two days amaze me. I live to show the world things the average person takes for granted. I am a man with many words and views that are outside the norm. I am honored to be the one who gets to show those who can't what they wish they could. I left the Len Foote Hike Inn two days ago and hiked the mile back to the approach trail. The approach trail was strenuous and iced over in so many spots. I am alone on the trail, and I passed a total of five people that day.

After hiking like a trooper I reached Mt. Springer at noon on 1/23/13. The view was amazing and I felt wonderful. I have never seen anything like it and I knew that there was more in store for me. Since I am operating on a limited budget, $200 a month for food an $0 for anything else I know the odds are stacked against me.

Squeaky 2
01-25-2013, 05:33
lets break it down. alot of people with little experience hike the AT. it was my first ever hike. he will gain alot of fitness and knowledge along the way.
my second hike was the PCT as it will be his. he will learn as he goes like most do and find what works for him. if he gets that far he will have enough knowledge and fitness to face the last four legs of the trip. someone said on this thread that if you have enough time and money you can hike any where, which is true!
good luck to anyone setting out with such goals. my only concern is lack of knowledge that people have about how severe weather can be in the mountains in summer, let alone the winter!!!

Chaco Taco
01-25-2013, 07:55
Just sayin, for $10 and about 2-3 minutes of your time on the internet, you can get ordained by the Universal Life Church.

$200 a month is doable but highly unlikely. I hope he finds whatever it is that he is looking for

mrcoffeect
01-25-2013, 08:49
$50 a week for food. He'll be living on starvation rations. First time he needs to replace gear, He's sunk

Studlintsean
01-25-2013, 08:59
I think a triple is a bit of a stretch on that budget but hell I'm pulling for him.

Almost There
01-25-2013, 09:06

Someone attacking Sly brings me back to WB...Holy Krap! Dude, you need to let it go. If you knew Sly in real life, he's one of the most chill people there is. When people say you don't know this website, this is what they're talking about. This site is all about acting like an ******...unless it has changed in the past three years since I regularly posted.

As to the rest, how's it going fellas! And, I have to agree with Sly on this. Guy looks mentally...on the fence. If the mental games not there no way he makes it. That being said, the best of luck to him.:D

jeffmeh
01-25-2013, 11:42
And if a bunch of doubting yahoos on Whiteblaze (myself included) is enough to deter him, then he has insufficient resolve regardless. Good luck to him.

neighbor dave
01-25-2013, 11:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

Slo-go'en
01-25-2013, 13:32
We have definately seen this movie before and it end soon.

James GAME2009
01-25-2013, 17:28
I really enjoy following these things. Every year we see some new crazy attempts. They are quickly lost to history (remember Sam's "all in" trek?), but are interesting regardless. As long as this guy doesn't pull the sob story and start asking for donations to "help realize my dream and helps others through my experiences, blah blah blah", I'll follow along.

Almost There
01-25-2013, 20:23
Just had a scary thought. We're giving this guy little chance, but how many of you remember Minnesotasmith from 2007? He carried like an 80lb pack with I think 12 rolls of toilet paper in it among other things...and he made it all the way from Springer to Katahdin...so I guess anything is possible. He told my wife she had good hips the next year at the SoRuck.:rolleyes:

Sly
01-25-2013, 21:49
I really enjoy following these things. Every year we see some new crazy attempts. They are quickly lost to history (remember Sam's "all in" trek?), but are interesting regardless. As long as this guy doesn't pull the sob story and start asking for donations to "help realize my dream and helps others through my experiences, blah blah blah", I'll follow along.

Subtle hints may help. From what I understand the weather in No Georgia has taken a turn for the worse and he's dressed in cotton. If he makes it to Mountain Crossings I understand they're going to hook him up and a kind soul has left him some money.

Just had a scary thought. We're giving this guy little chance, but how many of you remember Minnesotasmith from 2007? He carried like an 80lb pack with I think 12 rolls of toilet paper in it among other things...and he made it all the way from Springer to Katahdin...so I guess anything is possible. He told my wife she had good hips the next year at the SoRuck.:rolleyes:

Hey AT, That's quite an endorsement. Was that before you proposed and married Erin? ;)

Almost There
01-25-2013, 22:01
Hey AT, That's quite an endorsement. Was that before you proposed and married Erin? ;)

Considering it was him, that's funny! Later that summer when I was up at Shaw's there was a bunch of stuff he had donated, boot dryers, syrups and other condiments, etc. They all had labels on them that said, "donated by Minnesotasmith." Gotta love when these characters show up on the trail.

bennett254
01-25-2013, 22:36
Someone attacking Sly brings me back to WB...Holy Krap! Dude, you need to let it go. If you knew Sly in real life, he's one of the most chill people there is. When people say you don't know this website, this is what they're talking about. This site is all about acting like an ******...unless it has changed in the past three years since I regularly posted.

I really don't care how many internet dicks jump on me. Judging people just isn't okay by any standard. I don't need or want to meet him. Also: I didn't attack a single individual. He was the one that assumed he was the subject. Telling. I've been a mod on one of the most successful outdoor sports forums on the net. When people constantly belittle others it severely detracts from the quality, success, and income of that forum. This is the dirtiest forum I've ever seen outside of 4chan. The mods should be embarrassed.

Mountain Mike
01-25-2013, 22:57
Look at this rookie. Heavy pack, jeans, carried a big knife. 19258 Somehow I made it & have continued on with many more miles hiking.

fiddlehead
01-25-2013, 23:01
The guy has been to more countries than most of us ever dream of.
So, of course he will make it.
I hope he keeps us posted.
It's been interesting so far.

Feral Bill
01-25-2013, 23:26
I really don't care how many internet dicks jump on me. Judging people just isn't okay by any standard. I don't need or want to meet him. Also: I didn't attack a single individual. He was the one that assumed he was the subject. Telling. I've been a mod on one of the most successful outdoor sports forums on the net. When people constantly belittle others it severely detracts from the quality, success, and income of that forum. This is the dirtiest forum I've ever seen outside of 4chan. The mods should be embarrassed.
After two days on the forum you judge the mods?

bennett254
01-25-2013, 23:36
After two days on the forum you judge the mods?

It's been WAY more than 2 days of reading this forum. I just didn't feel a need to comment until yesterday. It's full of uptight people who are convinced they are far better than everyone else. The amount of bad information and hating related to dogs is a big turnoff too.

jj2044
01-25-2013, 23:53
Look at this rookie. Heavy pack, jeans, carried a big knife. 19258 Somehow I made it & have continued on with many more miles hiking.

Was this pic taken before of after the Porn shoot ? lol, just kidding, i love seen old hiker pics and realizing how much has changed. Im sure people doubted Earl Shaffer when he said he was going to thru hike. but we are talkign 2 years min to do a yo-yo of all 3 major trails. even a quick 90 thru on the AT is a 6 month yoyo, and thats just 1/3 of what he is planning on doing.

Sly
01-25-2013, 23:56

This has nothing to do with being a mod, I'm speaking as a member of Whiteblaze.

You'll have to show me where I judged or belittled anyone. I simply pointed out, from experience, I doubt he'll make it and the odds are against him. That's just being realistic.

TNjed
01-26-2013, 00:03
Y'all, remember a guy named The Crazy One? Everybody said he was crazy for trying a thru, and our beloved trail was impossible to do all at once. He could do this. Its all about how bad you want it.

jeffmeh
01-26-2013, 06:48

Pot, see kettle.

Malto
01-26-2013, 09:04
This has nothing to do with being a mod, I'm speaking as a member of Whiteblaze.

You'll have to show me where I judged or belittled anyone. I simply pointed out, from experience, I doubt he'll make it and the odds are against him. That's just being realistic.

Bennett, you are right that there appears to be a sport here jumping very quickly to "it can't be done" even in cases that aren't as "ambitious" as this one. But Sly is dead on. When 3/4s of the AT thru wannabes fail to complete the trail it is almost a "Mr Obvious statement" saying the odds are against him to complete all six hikes. Add his lack of experience, vs say squeaky, Brian, swami, Williamson etc when they started their respective ultra hiking trips and you get what appears to be a very low probability attempt. This seems to be the 2013 version of Coyote Rob. Now, will his learning curve be faster and his toughness greater than mr Coyote? We shall see! But at least he's hiking.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2013, 11:44
If he had started in say May, I'd give him a much better chance of at least completing the AT with the gear and clothing he has.

Hopefully, he will get more approperate clothes and sleeping bag for this time of year. Soon, like right away. Apparently he managed to live through one rain storm already, but if he gets caught in a prolong, cold rain far from a bale out point with what he has now, that could well be the end of Dakota Joe. The mountians of North Carolina are a lot less forgiving then those in Georgia in Febuary and March.

Razor
01-26-2013, 11:46
There are always exceptions to every rule of thumb or average and I applaud those . It is a fact that thru hiking is a dream many have , without the constitution to follow through. 20% drop out at the 33 mile mark( Neel Gap) 35% by Fontana Dam and 50% by Harpers Ferry. Only about 20-25% finish. This is for 1 trip and the odds to complete a yo-yo are not even calculable. Pointing this probability out about a hiker in a hiker forum is not judging but a dicussion of the facts. I for one have watched in detail for the last 4 years people who start with grand plans of doing yo-yos and triple crowns and don't make it out of Georgia.I wish every one success but starting as illl equiped with a bad calender selection against him makes a probability of near 0. Good Luck Dakota Joe

Sly
01-26-2013, 14:17
If he had started in say May, I'd give him a much better chance of at least completing the AT with the gear and clothing he has.

Hopefully, he will get more approperate clothes and sleeping bag for this time of year. Soon, like right away. Apparently he managed to live through one rain storm already, but if he gets caught in a prolong, cold rain far from a bale out point with what he has now, that could well be the end of Dakota Joe. The mountians of North Carolina are a lot less forgiving then those in Georgia in Febuary and March.

Hey guys, Dakota Joe here; my first thing I have to say is thank you to all of my trail angels that donated to help outfit me here at Mountain Crossings and to the Mountain Crossings staff and establishment itself. I had no idea what was in store for me when I got here and you all have touched my heart. I was reckless yesterday with the push over Blood Mountain and under equipped for the voyage, but my determination to make it to Neel's gap was so hight that it undmimed my critical thinking skills. It does make for a good story, but only because Mother Nature did not thwart my efforts by making me an icy Dakota Joesicle atop Blood Mountain. I have been outfitted with better gear and the hiker box at the hostel gave me a 3 litre water capacity. I now have a guide book, Aqua-Mira, a down jacket, a lightweight rainproof shell, wool undergarments, and Fits Socks. The cotton is gone except for one pair of jeans im wearing untill I get the magical pants in Hiawassee. I fell all over the place yesterday, skidding here and there on my butt. Never attempt Blood Mountain in the icy fog. It really sucks and you miss the view. Onward I go, better equipped and with better gear thus elevating my already high level of deterninatin. I will persevere.
xoxox Dakota Joe xoxox

Chaco Taco
01-26-2013, 15:02

You need to either get laid or go hiking or both. Damn dude get a grip on yourself. For someone that preaches positivity and such, you sure a debbie downer. Lighten up, its a website.

Chaco Taco
01-26-2013, 15:02
Hey guys, Dakota Joe here; my first thing I have to say is thank you to all of my trail angels that donated to help outfit me here at Mountain Crossings and to the Mountain Crossings staff and establishment itself. I had no idea what was in store for me when I got here and you all have touched my heart. I was reckless yesterday with the push over Blood Mountain and under equipped for the voyage, but my determination to make it to Neel's gap was so hight that it undmimed my critical thinking skills. It does make for a good story, but only because Mother Nature did not thwart my efforts by making me an icy Dakota Joesicle atop Blood Mountain. I have been outfitted with better gear and the hiker box at the hostel gave me a 3 litre water capacity. I now have a guide book, Aqua-Mira, a down jacket, a lightweight rainproof shell, wool undergarments, and Fits Socks. The cotton is gone except for one pair of jeans im wearing untill I get the magical pants in Hiawassee. I fell all over the place yesterday, skidding here and there on my butt. Never attempt Blood Mountain in the icy fog. It really sucks and you miss the view. Onward I go, better equipped and with better gear thus elevating my already high level of deterninatin. I will persevere.
xoxox Dakota Joe xoxox

Glad to hear...

Slo-go'en
01-26-2013, 15:34
His new outfit will definately boost his chances a few notches in the short term. The weather looks like it will be a lot milder for the next week too. It's still a long shot for him to complete the AT, but at least that's in the realm of possibility - if he can make it through North Carloina. That's the real test.

Blissful
01-26-2013, 17:06
He needs to talk to Kayak Karl about how hard it is to hike in winter....

While his motivation is admirable, it takes a lot to make this trail-hike happen. He's already made some unwise decisions and in the dead of winter. I just hope and pray he doesn't get a major injury or worse.

Almost There
01-26-2013, 17:41

Wow, I'm a dick for standing up and saying that the personas you see here are not necessarily the same in real life. Well, if I'm a dick, then at least I'm not a puss. As for being a mod, good for you, did you have to get a certification or a degree for that? That and a package of ramen will get you ramen.
Sorry dude, but living near the start of the trail, can't tell you how many people I've seen come off of Blood Mountain near hypothermic because they're ill prepared. Often times, this is why they bail. As I said, hope the guy makes it, but giving opinions is not a crime. Besides some of us have been on here having these conversations for close to a decade, you teling me you've bee lurking that long?

Chaco Taco
01-26-2013, 17:51
Wow, I'm a dick for standing up and saying that the personas you see here are not necessarily the same in real life. Well, if I'm a dick, then at least I'm not a puss. As for being a mod, good for you, did you have to get a certification or a degree for that? That and a package of ramen will get you ramen.
Sorry dude, but living near the start of the trail, can't tell you how many people I've seen come off of Blood Mountain near hypothermic because they're ill prepared. Often times, this is why they bail. As I said, hope the guy makes it, but giving opinions is not a crime. Besides some of us have been on here having these conversations for close to a decade, you teling me you've bee lurking that long?

Yea, and there is a difference between being a dick and being a realist. Seems our friend Bennett has a tough time wading through that on the internets. For someone that has been lurking for 2 years, seems he would have learned by now. Oh well, I wish the best for any and everyone that tries to hike the AT. Some people make crappy decisions and hopefully learn from them. I just hope Dakota Joe's lesson isnt at the expense of some first responder trying to save him because he made some piss poor decision.

Well said, Almost There

Half Note
01-26-2013, 18:18
Looks like he's hiking in search of something, ex-wife cheated on him. Triple Crown aside, I hope he finds what he's looking for. He's already had to "mace a b****" (his words). Just hope there aren't many encounters like that one to put him in trouble.

Razor
01-26-2013, 18:30
The critical words from Dakota is "he would never attempt to cross Blood in icy fog . " Little does he realize he is crossing soo---many peaks and highs in the next 2 months with icy, snow,wind,and fog . If he follows his advice he would be getting off and not going over those icy mountains! Ignorance can be bliss.

Sly
01-26-2013, 18:42
... but it's just walking. :p

Slo-go'en
01-26-2013, 20:41
... but it's just walking. :p
I mostly stumble...

BTW, no updates in a week from our other crazy friend Rife. Wonder if he's still stumbling along out there?

Almost There
01-26-2013, 22:26
I mostly stumble...

BTW, no updates in a week from our other crazy friend Rife. Wonder if he's still stumbling along out there?

If I'm hiking in the rain, in Maine, then I'm falling...CONSTANTLY!!!

Razor
01-27-2013, 11:02
Some of us are constantly falling no matter where! or when!

Feral Bill
01-27-2013, 13:58
xoxox Dakota Joe xoxox It seems that DJ has a capacity for learning. That will improve his chances.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2013, 21:01
It seems that DJ has a capacity for learning. That will improve his chances.

This was posted on his FB page yesterday: "I walked up to the Hike Inn today and was disappointed...to see your graffiti on the trail junction sign where the Hike Inn trail rejoins the Approach trail." We'll see if DJ has the same capacity to learn as Rifle.

canoe
01-27-2013, 22:33
You guys are halarious. Great free entertainment. Yes conditions are bad. Just hope everyone finds a safe place to be.

Sly
01-28-2013, 08:49
The Adventures of Dakota Joe (https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe?ref=stream)

13 hours ago (https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe/posts/419100191500427) via mobile (https://www.facebook.com/mobile/?v=web)

Hey Guys, Dakota Joe here; my phone is about dead so I will upload some more photos when I get to Hiawassee, Georgia and recharge and pick up the mail drops there. We are adding Sherria to Team Joe, she has my information and will be acting as a Manager for me untill she starts her own thru-hike. There is also Mrs. Brittany Cross, my homebase leader. I am camped just above Unicoy Gap and will be headinng into Hiawassee in the next two days. I have a trailmate named "Black Jack" slowing me down but at least it is company. This is his third attempt at a thru-hike. Maybe he will get it this time. I am a fast pace no rest kinda guy in everything I do so we will probably part ways soon. I love every minute of every day up here. The views are amazing. The steep climbs are nothing I cant handle, I really hope it gets harder. I want to push myself to the limit. I want something to make me wanna quit. Then I want to fight that and move on. Its been a breeze athletically so far and the only thing I have had to fight has been bad weather. Speaking of which, its starting to sprinkle so off to my tent I go!
xoxox Dakota Joe xoxox

Team Joe!?

I can see why Black Jack may be slowing him down.

http://youtu.be/pxup3lSlYQY

These videos (1-9) are a riot, it's been about a month to Hiawassee!

Sly
01-28-2013, 09:44
Here's a playlist of Black Jack's short AT videos from 2012. This guy is great entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLagchtyC-HSY9wftC4awujyfVl38h_QxK

Two months and 44 videos to Gatlinburg

MyName1sMud
01-28-2013, 10:36
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of idiots with guns. So, do you get rid of the idiots or the guns? But that's a whole n'other issue that we should probably stay away from here.
Might I remind you that in many places in this country Cops are over 20 minutes away from you when you dial 911.

How is a cop going to save you if he can't be there? Why carry a gun? Because a cop is to heavy.

Also.... If you're willing to give up your 2ndA rights.... then what is going to stop them from taking the rest of your rights?

Mags
01-28-2013, 10:49
Might I remind you that in many places in this country Cops are over 20 minutes away from you when you dial 911.

How is a cop going to save you if he can't be there? Why carry a gun? Because a cop is to heavy.

Also.... If you're willing to give up your 2ndA rights.... then what is going to stop them from taking the rest of your rights?

Please no 2nd amendment discussion folks.

This thread is about endurance hiking. Not how many rounds a rifle can shoot off if flown by a European swallow. :)

MyName1sMud
01-28-2013, 10:54
^^^ Sorry MAGS.

I'll just never understand this new age America..... Americans used to have backbone.

canoe
01-28-2013, 11:07
Here's a playlist of Black Jack's short AT videos from 2012. This guy is great entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLagchtyC-HSY9wftC4awujyfVl38h_QxK

Two months and 44 videos to Gatlinburg you're sly just check out these videos. better than TV for sure

canoe
01-28-2013, 11:09
you're RIGHT sly, just checked out these video

Schooley
01-28-2013, 11:25
fight...fight...fight. crabby...crabby...crabby. I'm going to hiker boys cyber cafe to hang out...this thread is scary.

Sly
01-28-2013, 12:12
Please no 2nd amendment discussion folks.

This thread is about endurance hiking. Not how many rounds a rifle can shoot off if flown by a European swallow. :)

Yes, more about endurance but like any other hike, I'm not sure why it got moved to trail running and speed hiking.

Anyway, not to steal Dakota Joe's thunder, I just watched all 100+ videos of Black Jack's and honestly I enjoyed them as much or more than any AT video I've ever seen.

Apparently I can't embed the playlist. Here's the other link.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...wujyfVl38h_QxK (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLagchtyC-HSY9wftC4awujyfVl38h_QxK)

Mags
01-28-2013, 12:49
Yes, more about endurance but like any other hike, I'm not sure why it got moved to trail running and speed hiking.

Because it fit. And I felt it was appropriate. A double yo-yo triple crown with a blackflip (or whatever it is called) is a bit different than a regular thru-hike.

Odd Man Out
01-28-2013, 14:32

I thought it was an African swallow. They are endurance flyers. Does that count? :rolleyes:

Sly
01-28-2013, 15:05
Because it fit. And I felt it was appropriate. A double yo-yo triple crown with a blackflip (or whatever it is called) is a bit different than a regular thru-hike.

Trail running, speed hiking and other outlandish endeavors! :D

Mags
01-28-2013, 15:27
Trail running, speed hiking and other outlandish endeavors! :D

Yes indeed.

Trebor66
01-31-2013, 16:58
Has anyone heard from this guy? It's been several days and he hasn't posted anything on FB. Starting to wonder of the severe weather over the past few days were a little too much for him and he bailed out. Who knows.......

Sly
01-31-2013, 17:55
Has anyone heard from this guy? It's been several days and he hasn't posted anything on FB. Starting to wonder of the severe weather over the past few days were a little too much for him and he bailed out. Who knows.......

Yup, it's been 4 days and he was only about 20 miles from Hiawassee with a near dead phone when he last posted. Plenty of time to get there, clean up, charge up and let Team Joe and his fan base what's up.

I have a trailmate named "Black Jack" slowing me down but at least it is company. This is his third attempt at a thru-hike. Maybe he will get it this time. I am a fast pace no rest kinda guy in everything I do so we will probably part ways soon. I love every minute of every day up here. The views are amazing. The steep climbs are nothing I cant handle, I really hope it gets harder. I want to push myself to the limit. I want something to make me wanna quit. Then I want to fight that and move on. Its been a breeze athletically so far and the only thing I have had to fight has been bad weather. Speaking of which, its starting to sprinkle so off to my tent I go!

His trailmate, Black Jack, posted a couple videos from Hiawassee yesterday, so Dakota Joe's whereabouts is a mystery.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2013, 18:05
Time will tell. He did seem to be OCD about facebook postings.

Almost There
01-31-2013, 22:33
Endurance? No one seems to mention the luck factor. Will it be a snow heavy year? A drought year? Sometimes these things kill aspiration faster than physical injury, mental desire, or endurance.

SassyWindsor
01-31-2013, 23:36

You're not going to get rid of the idiots with guns, period. Tell all the shooters/killers in Chicago that it's a gun free zone and they ought to obey the laws. Better yet, look at the murder rate by firearm for all the country's that have a ban on guns, you'll find the rate higher than the US where guns are allowed.

hikerboy57
01-31-2013, 23:47
You're not going to get rid of the idiots with guns, period. Tell all the shooters/killers in Chicago that it's a gun free zone and they ought to obey the laws. Better yet, look at the murder rate by firearm for all the country's that have a ban on guns, you'll find the rate higher than the US where guns are allowed.
a bit off topic, dont ya think?

Trebor66
02-01-2013, 00:04
Maybe he got busted for vandalizing the signage on the trail or did something stupid with that BB gun of his. He just may be getting three hots and a cot at the "Hiawassee Hilton" compliments of the local PD.

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2013, 10:43
a bit off topic, dont ya think?Oh yeah, she's the only one off topic :confused: :rolleyes:

Mags
02-01-2013, 11:07
a bit off topic, dont ya think?

Yes.

Further 2nd amendment discussion will be going to the bit bucket in the sky. :)

treesloth
02-01-2013, 11:25
Still no sign, huh? I hope he's ok. Was the dude really defacing trail signs??

hikerboy57
02-01-2013, 11:36
Oh yeah, she's the only one off topic :confused: :rolleyes:

has nothing at all to do with global warming:rolleyes:

max patch
02-01-2013, 12:07
Yup, it's been 4 days and he was only about 20 miles from Hiawassee with a near dead phone when he last posted. Plenty of time to get there, clean up, charge up and let Team Joe and his fan base what's up.

His trailmate, Black Jack, posted a couple videos from Hiawassee yesterday, so Dakota Joe's whereabouts is a mystery.

OMG someone call SAR. :)

Trebor66
02-01-2013, 15:11
@Treesloth- I saw some postings on his FB page about him using a permanent marker to write his name on some signs around the approach trail.
@Max Patch-

Sly
02-01-2013, 17:16
OMG someone call SAR. :)

I tried the 1-800-TEAM-JOE hotline but it seems to be disconnected.

Trebor66
02-01-2013, 18:14
So, it may be safe to assume that his Triple Crown Yo-Yo attempt in reality turned out to be 4 days on the trail and one of which was spent at the Hike Inn. If this is true I wonder if he plans on paying back everyone who donated money to him so he could get some decent equipment at Mountain Crossings?

Feral Bill
02-02-2013, 00:01
And people wonder why many of us are negative when, every year, people announce their grandiose plans.

max patch
02-02-2013, 01:13
Nothing to indicate that he has quit the trail.

Not updating a facebook page means exactly....nothing.

Maybe he's getting warm and drinking a cold beer.

Maybe his phone froze.

This is going to end up the same as Rifle. Just didn't post. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Sly
02-02-2013, 02:25
The latest.

Team Dakota Joe here and wanted to let y'all know that Dakota's phone took a dive we are in process of getting one to him right now thanks for your concerns !!!!

You'd think they could at least give a progress update.

My sixth sense says bull****

Lone Wolf
02-02-2013, 02:33
y'all are fools. he ain't doin' no yo yo attempt

Trebor66
02-02-2013, 15:44
+1 on the BS

Half Note
02-04-2013, 09:13
Unfortunately, he really is defacing signs and shelters with his Facebook link. Of all things to write...that may be the dumbest.

Pages
02-04-2013, 09:26
from reading his stuff, i get the impression what he is calling yo-yoing is merely (yeah, merely!) attempting a triple crown. not yo-yoing all three trails. am i wrong here?

- pages

Sly
02-04-2013, 09:31
y'all are fools. he ain't doin' no yo yo attempt

from reading his stuff, i get the impression what he is calling yo-yoing is merely (yeah, merely!) attempting a triple crown. not yo-yoing all three trails. am i wrong here?

- pages

From his Facebook page...

Follow The Adventures of Dakota Joe as he attempts to yo-yo all three of America's longest national scenic trails in order to complete the triple crown.... The Appalachian Trail, The Continental Divide Trail, and The Pacific Trail

Unfortunately Joe's phone is on the fritz and he's incommunicado at the moment, so a clarification will have to wait til later.

Rasty
02-04-2013, 10:00
I'm going to announce my intentions to triple yo-yo from the couch to the fridge today. I may add a brown blazed trail to the agenda depending on how much coffee I can Yogi off the wife. Gear list and donation page coming soon.

Train Wreck
02-04-2013, 10:05
I'm going to announce my intentions to triple yo-yo from the couch to the fridge today. I may add a brown blazed trail to the agenda depending on how much coffee I can Yogi off the wife. Gear list and donation page coming soon.

You're not prepared! Can't be done! You'll give up before you make it past the coffee table! Noob!

Pages
02-04-2013, 10:13
"Follow The Adventures of Dakota Joe as he attempts to yo-yo all three of America's longest national scenic trails in order to complete the triple crown.... The Appalachian Trail, The Continental Divide Trail, and The Pacific Trail"

it says "in order to complete the triple crown." yo-yoing is not necessary for a triple crown. i think it was not what he meant.

-pages

Sly
02-04-2013, 10:24
He says Yo-yo, you say that's not what he meant. Who am I supposed to believe?

Are you on Team Joe too? One of his spokespeople, frontmen, publicity director, apologist? If not, he desperately needs one!

Pages
02-04-2013, 10:32
He says Yo-yo, you say that's not what he meant. Who am I supposed to believe?

Are you on Team Joe too? One of his spokespeople, frontmen, publicity director, apologist? If not, he desperately needs one!

not at all sly. but i think he might be legit and not crazy and just made a mistake in terminology. then again....who knows. i interpreted it that he was going for a triple, not a double-triple. if he indeed IS saying that his is going to yo yo a triple i would tend to call tom foolery.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2013, 10:54
So much hate in the hiking community; I thought we're all suppose to be highly evolved, nature-loving, spiritually-advanced, peaceful people.

I guess I was sadly misinformed :D

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2013, 11:05
You're not prepared! Can't be done! You'll give up before you make it past the coffee table! Noob!

He doesn't have the required petroleum jelly on his cotton balls for the burn!

Razor
02-04-2013, 11:11
John, I think the community s divided into romantics and realists. Of course there are many subgroups to these divisions. For the romantics any possibility can be attained ,even without a shrewd of probability.This falls into a beginner saying he will do a triple crown yo-yo. There are others ( and I belong here ) that know it is a 35-40% chance he will drop before Fontana and a 50% chance he will continue beyond Harpers Ferry. Time will tell if he is even good enough to complete a single long hike . I wish him well and hope he completes his dream. But that does not mean I am not a realist and say the odds are against him.

Sly
02-04-2013, 11:14

What else is new? :p

Not hating, it's called tough-love. ;)

Sly
02-04-2013, 11:19
not at all sly. but i think he might be legit and not crazy and just made a mistake in terminology. then again....who knows. i interpreted it that he was going for a triple, not a double-triple. if he indeed IS saying that his is going to yo yo a triple i would tend to call tom foolery.

Just funnin'. I can see where he may have been mistaken.

Mags
02-04-2013, 11:20
So much hate in the hiking community; I thought we're all suppose to be highly evolved, nature-loving, spiritually-advanced, peaceful people.

Screw that crap...

:)

Rasty
02-04-2013, 12:57
He doesn't have the required petroleum jelly on his cotton balls for the burn!

I prefer Heet to PJ!

Slo-go'en
02-04-2013, 13:12
from reading his stuff, i get the impression what he is calling yo-yoing is merely (yeah, merely!) attempting a triple crown. not yo-yoing all three trails. am i wrong here?- pages

Somewhere in there he said he was "not only doing the triple crown, but yo-yoing the triple crown", so I do belive he understands the terminology.

The real question is how he planned to do that. Is he going to yo-yo each trail individually, i.e., hike to the end of one and then turn around and hike back to the beginning before starting the next trail or hike each one in sequence, then turn around and do them all in the opposite direction? Of course, at the moment we don't even know if he made it out of Georgia yet.

mfleming
02-04-2013, 17:37
Go Joe go!!!!

Tundra
02-04-2013, 18:12
I read a comment on his Facebook page where someone asked him if he was going to Cap Gaspe and he said "no, I have to turn right around and head for springer." he's planning on yo-yoing all three trails to complete the triple crown. He's never backpacked before (according to his own words)but assumes he can walk almost 24,000 miles. I wish him luck, because he'll need tons and tons of it. I have a feeling he's quit already. He was posting so frequently on FB and now nothing for a week except, for a message about his phone being down. There's lots of computers out there. He's probably done.

Trebor66
02-04-2013, 18:25
My guess is that he is either back in Florida or in a jail somewhere in N Georgia. Hope he proves me wrong.

Trebor66
02-07-2013, 23:52
Has anyone heard anything???

Caveman of Ohio
02-08-2013, 00:10
Found Dakota Joe on Youtube making a ul pipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpfzX8hZw8

Caveman of Ohio
02-08-2013, 01:24
https://www.facebook.com/#!/FreeDakotaJoeFund

Half Note
02-08-2013, 10:54
It was only a matter of time.

Sly
02-08-2013, 13:57
Found Dakota Joe on Youtube making a ul pipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpfzX8hZw8

So much for high aspirations. :p

Mags
02-08-2013, 14:35
Sorry to hear about this.

Though a Triple Crown Double Back Flip with a Twist Yo-Yo was probably out of the realm of reality, more than one person has done the AT, learned along the way and had an ear-to-ear smile when reaching The Big K.

Pages
02-08-2013, 17:24
guess our questions were moot, sly. bummer. what a schlemiel!

Sly
02-08-2013, 21:40
guess our questions were moot, sly. bummer. what a schlemiel!

Well, I haven't seen anything where he's off trail but it doesn't look good. The whole Triple Crown Yo-Yo from a non-experienced hiker was whacked to begin with. His Youtube videos are a cross between Colonel Kurtz and Captain Willard.

Karma13
02-09-2013, 06:59
There's an update on his Facebook page, I think from his mother, saying he's taking a break to rest an ankle.

Sly
02-09-2013, 11:20
There's an update on his Facebook page, I think from his mother, saying he's taking a break to rest an ankle.

Yeah, here it is here.

Proud Mommyy (https://www.facebook.com/ashley.anne.79677)he isnt asking for bail $$$ & he isnt on parole . whoever is saying that needs to stop , hes fine & quite healthy . hes taking a break due to his knee .
theirs only 1 person on his "team" & that persons computer crashed .
that is why im posting this .

EVERYONE AGAIN , DAKOTA JOE IS FINE .
​10 hours ago via mobile (https://www.facebook.com/mobile/) ˇ Edited (https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe#) ˇ Like (https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe#) ˇ 1 (https://www.facebook.com/browse/likes?id=427269274016852)

Oddly the one like is by The Adventures of Dakota Joe

Karma13
02-09-2013, 11:31
Knee, not ankle! Argh. Brain freeze. Thanks for the correction, Sly.

Well, whatever's going on with him and his team of one, I hope his injury heals quickly.

Slo-go'en
02-09-2013, 11:34
Who ever put up the "bale Joe out of jail" facebook page should take it down, that is a bad joke. Dakota Joe doesn't seem like the kind of person I'd hang out with, but that kind of slander is uncalled for.

"Taking a break to rest his knee". That sounds like code for "He's not going much farther, any time soon".

I don't think he even got out of Georgia did he?

Sly
02-09-2013, 11:44
I don't think he even got out of Georgia did he?

Hard to tell but apparently the hubris of his last post caught up with him quick.

The steep climbs are nothing I cant handle, I really hope it gets harder. I want to push myself to the limit. I want something to make me wanna quit. Then I want to fight that and move on. Its been a breeze athletically so far and the only thing I have had to fight has been bad weather.

Mags
02-09-2013, 15:03
I really hope he continues on the AT. It is forgiving trail for learning along the way and enjoying the beauty of nature.

Blissful
02-09-2013, 15:05
Who ever put up the "bale Joe out of jail" facebook page should take it down, that is a bad joke.

It isn't a joke what he did to shelters along the way. As a ridgerunner, we had to be on the look-out for such vandals last summer defacing shelters. The NPS in the AT division were looking to arrest these offenders.

I hope he returns to the trail and cleans up his mess he left behind. There are cleaners to take off the graffiti. That would be the right thing to do.

WingedMonkey
02-09-2013, 16:12
It isn't a joke what he did to shelters along the way. As a ridgerunner, we had to be on the look-out for such vandals last summer defacing shelters. The NPS in the AT division were looking to arrest these offenders.

I hope he returns to the trail and cleans up his mess he left behind. There are cleaners to take off the graffiti. That would be the right thing to do.

I'm gonna ask again. are your hiker feeds now past history?

Slo-go'en
02-09-2013, 16:50

Well, I agree with you there and as a former caretaker, I've spent many an hour removing names from shelter walls. But lets wait until he's actually in jail before starting to rise bail money ;)

But I think we've probably heard the last of Dakato Joe. This thread will last longer then he does.

Blissful
02-09-2013, 20:27
I'm gonna ask again. are your hiker feeds now past history?

Sorry I didn't know you asked anywhere else... (?)

I'm working now as a ridgerunner in the summer. So the answer is, yes to the picnic I had in Shenandoah for three years, open to all backpackers.

We did not have it last year (the ridgeunner last year was quite sad about it too) Though this year my hubby may take it over.

Blissful
02-09-2013, 20:29
Well, I agree with you there and as a former caretaker, I've spent many an hour removing names from shelter walls. .

Thanks for all you do. You guys out there rock. I have the utmost respect for trail maintainers and caretakers. You all work your hearts out to help the trail and hikers. I never realized it until I became a ridgerunner.

Caveman of Ohio
02-09-2013, 21:49
Found this online and I am 99.9% positive that that is Dakota Joe.

http://www.interopweb.com/townsjailpop/details2.aspx?inmate_num=14

Caveman of Ohio
02-09-2013, 21:49
Where is Towns County?

Lumberjack2003
02-09-2013, 21:54
It's Hiawassee.

max patch
02-09-2013, 22:01
Hiawassee - which is where he was headed next - is in Towns County. He rode his bike up from Florida. The name matches.

Hosaphone
02-09-2013, 22:14
Found this online and I am 99.9% positive that that is Dakota Joe.

http://www.interopweb.com/townsjailpop/details2.aspx?inmate_num=14

Confirmed. You can see a tiny bit of tattoo on his neck. Compare to this video at the 1m mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jVtHz7x224

max patch
02-09-2013, 22:17
Google his full name and you'll learn this isn't his first rodeo. Guy is still young; hope he turns his life around.

Blissful
02-09-2013, 22:31
Verified via Facebook also by other hikers. Arrested multiple times. Outstanding warrant in FL.
I would avoid this hiker. Anyone with outstanding warrants and escaping on the trail = trouble.

jj2044
02-09-2013, 22:47
Verified via Facebook also by other hikers. Arrested multiple times. Outstanding warrant in FL.
I would avoid this hiker. Anyone with outstanding warrants and escaping on the trail = trouble.

I agree, and you would think someone on the run would be smart enough to not post where they are on facebook.... but he doesnt look that bright.

jj2044
02-09-2013, 22:50
Who ever put up the "bale Joe out of jail" facebook page should take it down, that is a bad joke. Dakota Joe doesn't seem like the kind of person I'd hang out with, but that kind of slander is uncalled for.

The facebook page seems to fit the situation perfect. http://www.interopweb.com/townsjailpop/details2.aspx?inmate_num=14

Train Wreck
02-09-2013, 23:11

Um, look at her FB page, I kinda doubt that's his mother :eek:

Malto
02-09-2013, 23:18
Wow, one of the better endings. At least he can say that the trail didn't beat him. The man kept him down!

Train Wreck
02-09-2013, 23:27
Wow, one of the better endings. At least he can say that the trail didn't beat him. The man kept him down!

Yeah!
I'll be back - in 10 to 15 years!

Caveman of Ohio
02-09-2013, 23:36
http://florida.arrests.org/search.php?fname=chad&lname=ferguson&fpartial=True

Hosaphone
02-10-2013, 00:02
http://florida.arrests.org/search.php?fname=chad&lname=ferguson&fpartial=True

Impressive.

I'll be interested to see what the new charge is. You could interpret this data as he is/was/had turned his life around somewhat. The 4/22/2012 arrest is for battery, but it looks like he also got tuned up pretty good so it could have just been a bar fight or something like that. The 1/29/2011 arrest is for suspended license. Prior to that he was apparently more or less clean from 2008 onwards.

jj2044
02-10-2013, 00:08
Impressive.

I'll be interested to see what the new charge is. You could interpret this data as he is/was/had turned his life around somewhat. The 4/22/2012 arrest is for battery, but it looks like he also got tuned up pretty good so it could have just been a bar fight or something like that. The 1/29/2011 arrest is for suspended license. Prior to that he was apparently more or less clean from 2008 onwards.

LOL he might of been in jail during that time lol

Slo-go'en
02-10-2013, 00:11
Okay, I stand corrected, he does need the bail :(

Hosaphone
02-10-2013, 00:25
LOL he might of been in jail during that time lol

True, lol...

Looks like he served ~1 year: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/InmateReleases/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=772628288

Okay, I stand corrected, he does need the bail :(

No bail listed on the website...

Looks like he probably got nabbed for violating parole by leaving the state. Or something. I'm not really sure how this stuff works:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=772665480

Hosaphone
02-10-2013, 00:29
Looks like he probably got nabbed for violating parole by leaving the state. Or something. I'm not really sure how this stuff works:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=772665480

Err not parole, probation.

And jeez, it was probation for driving with suspended license? He just can't seem to resist the temptation to drive?

Still, at least he's not into burglary, etc, anymore. Still possible that he's mostly turned his life around.

Hosaphone
02-10-2013, 00:33
And jeez, it was probation for driving with suspended license? He just can't seem to resist the temptation to drive?

Well actually I guess theoretically they would have nabbed him for being an "absconder", not for driving:

From his status:

Current Status:
ABSCONDER/FUGITIVE (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=772665480#AOStatusDefinition)

Supervision Type:
PROBATION FELONY

Absconder - offender absconds from supervision (his/her whereabouts are unknown and the offender is not available for supervision) and warrant is issued for violation.

Sly
02-11-2013, 11:13
Still, at least he's not into burglary, etc, anymore. Still possible that he's mostly turned his life around.

Better yet is that he's not into hiking the AT or any other trail anymore.

treesloth
02-11-2013, 13:20
Man, Florida chruns 'em out like no other state. Maybe getting nabbed saved his life, given the weather lately. But the sad part is, this dude could have just went and quietly made the attempt, or did whatever else QUIETLY.... but that doesn't seem like his style, huh?

Well, Sly, you called it from the get-go.

ChinMusic
02-11-2013, 13:33
Well actually I guess theoretically they would have nabbed him for being an "absconder", not for driving:

"Absconder": What a great trail name.

Malto
02-11-2013, 13:34
Man, Florida chruns 'em out like no other state. Maybe getting nabbed saved his life, given the weather lately. But the sad part is, this dude could have just went and quietly made the attempt, or did whatever else QUIETLY.... but that doesn't seem like his style, huh?

Well, Sly, you called it from the get-go.

Maybe he could have gone quietly and made the attempt and that would have been fine. There are many folks on the trail that have histories that you may or not be aware of. I also suspect that these histories are a much bigger deal on this site than they are on the trail. One of the nicest aspects of the long trails is that you relate to folks not for who they were in the "real" world but to how they are when you meet them. One of the guys that I hiked with for a few hundred miles had been in prison for dealing drugs. It came up matter of factly in a conversation and I frankly didn't think anything about it. The person standing in front of me was a strong hiker and we got along great. Now, in the case of the hiker in this thread, had he kept a lower profile and just done his thing I suspect he would have been viewed as bit eccentric but no more than many of the other hikers. Do I feel safer that he is off the trail? Not really because there are likely five more that have a similar background to his

Slo-go'en
02-11-2013, 13:46
With both Dakota Joe and Rife off the trail, it's gonna be a little boring around here. What are we going to talk and speculate about now? The weather?

Rasty
02-11-2013, 13:50
With both Dakota Joe and Rife off the trail, it's gonna be a little boring around here. What are we going to talk and speculate about now? The weather?

The possibility of doing a Triple Lindy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDMMYT3vkTk

Canyonero
02-12-2013, 00:05

A triple lindy is not enough. I want to see a yo-yo triple lindy back up to the top platform.

Majortrauma
02-12-2013, 00:10
Dang hikerboy57, that was good one. :D

Rasty
02-12-2013, 00:41

A triple lindy is not enough. I want to see a yo-yo triple lindy back up to the top platform.

More probable then a triple yo-yo! I'll start practicing and get back to you!

Trebor66
02-12-2013, 08:04
Glad to see this guy is off the trail. Just feel for those nice people that sent him donations for new gear and the nice folks at MTNX for helping him out so much. Maybe he will be able to sell his new stuff to raise bail money, and better yet a one way bus ticket back to Florida.

mfleming
02-12-2013, 12:24
I am hoping that his exposure to the great outdoors during his AT adventure will be the catalyst for him to turn his life around and be a positive contributor to society again.

Trebor66
02-12-2013, 19:29
I doubt that would happen. He's been arrested 10 or 12 times during just his adult years. Sad to say but chances are overwhelming that he's going to spend the rest of his life as a drain on society. Go on YouTube and find the videos for "suicidesurburbia". He's nothing but a criminal with a little flash. Sad but true....

Caveman of Ohio
02-12-2013, 22:52
http://www.youtube.com/user/suicidalsuburbia

MuddyWaters
02-12-2013, 23:02
With a little luck, prison will remove him from societys list of problem members, permanently.

Trebor66
02-13-2013, 00:27
That's a different video with the same name. Keep looking for the ones that show a bald guy with a lip piercing and sunglasses. I'm glad this guy is off the trail. I would hate to share a shelter with him.

mfleming
02-13-2013, 01:05
Deep down we all have something good in us that is worthy if redemption. We were all created by God with love

Feral Bill
02-13-2013, 01:16
Deep down we all have something good in us that is worthy if redemption. We were all created by God with love I'll pass on the God part, but +1 on the sentiment. I've seen some pretty damaged people come back from the edge.

mfleming
02-13-2013, 01:59
God in a spiritual sense only. I avoid religion with a passion

Hosaphone
02-13-2013, 13:21
He's back in FL. I was right, they nabbed him for probation violation. New trail name "absconder" for sure, if he gets back on the trail. He's already working on a thru hiker beard:

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Chad_Ferguson_11590160/?d=1

rocketsocks
02-13-2013, 13:28
He's back in FL. I was right, they nabbed him for probation violation. New trail name "absconder" for sure, if he gets back on the trail. He's already working on a thru hiker beard:

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Chad_Ferguson_11590160/?d=1"Man of Constant Sarrow"

This whole thread is ridiculously funny, and the videos are classic!...or at least they will be one day be......

Maybe all speed hike attempts should be held in quarantine in the humor forum for a period of time before releasing to the trail run/speed hike forum.:-?:D

Tom Moose
02-13-2013, 15:54
He looks happier and healthier in his newest mug shot than in any others-I'll bet the Trail did help him, as it helps all of us, in its own way.

I may regret asking this, but who is Rife?

Sly
02-13-2013, 16:26
I may regret asking this, but who is Rife?

It's Rifle, another wannabe thru-hiker that started early that thought it was cool to crave his name in a shelter.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=399740

neighbor dave
02-13-2013, 18:57
whatever happened to the other guy with the youtube videos? the guy with the beard that walks slow, i thought he was a humble hiker.

Trebor66
02-13-2013, 19:42
It's nice to think the being on the trail helped him but in reality he was only on it for 3 or 4 days. Since then he's been in jail for twice as long. My guess is that it's because he's been getting three marks a day, sleep, and no drugs that made him look a little more healthy.

canoe
02-13-2013, 23:20
YOu owe me a new laptop. Thats just too funny

Rasty
02-14-2013, 01:18
YOu owe me a new laptop. Thats just too funny

You have to love Rodney!

fredmugs
02-14-2013, 16:13
I love reading about these epic failures and then going to the beginning of the thread and laugh at all the people who thought this was remotely possible.

Speaking of epic failures....did Nature Boy recover from his 1 AM tent rousing?

Odd Man Out
02-14-2013, 17:12
I love reading about these epic failures and then going to the beginning of the thread and laugh at all the people who thought this was remotely possible.

Remotely possible, just not probable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU5WAAY4Vws

Malto
02-14-2013, 17:47

Speaking of epic failures....did Nature Boy recover from his 1 AM tent rousing?

Dont put nature boy in the same class with clown like this guy and the other epic wannabes. I met nature boy and he had the ability to set the unsupported record. He may not have achieve it in '11 but any single record attempt is a low probability event regardless of who attempts it. Everything has to good in your favor.

T.S.Kobzol
02-14-2013, 22:50
+1 on that

"Man of Constant Sarrow"

Maybe all speed hike attempts should be held in quarantine in the humor forum for a period of time before releasing to the trail run/speed hike forum.:-?:D

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Sly
02-15-2013, 00:52
That's a different video with the same name. Keep looking for the ones that show a bald guy with a lip piercing and sunglasses. I'm glad this guy is off the trail. I would hate to share a shelter with him.

Don't forget the "grills"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5feq5ebos_0

He actually has some talent in making some of his videos, too bad (or just as well) most only have about 50 views. He's too whacked for me to want to be around and that's saying something.

fredmugs
02-15-2013, 14:34
Dont put nature boy in the same class with clown like this guy and the other epic wannabes. I met nature boy and he had the ability to set the unsupported record. He may not have achieve it in '11 but any single record attempt is a low probability event regardless of who attempts it. Everything has to good in your favor.

I never met him but I saw too many posts where his claims all turned out to be false.

max patch
02-20-2013, 17:19
Team Dakota Joe speaks (Facebook):

He's doing fine hel'll be back on the trail as soon as possible
Sunday at 9:39pm ˇ

Sly
02-20-2013, 17:25

Sunday at 9:39pm ˇ

With all the people sending him money it's probably too lucrative not to hike!

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 17:36

Sunday at 9:39pm ˇgotta pay those fines somehow

glad to hear it...I think he'll make it....I look forward to more vids...too funny, but he needs to shorten them bye a min or two.

Chair-man
12-05-2013, 02:30
Holy thread revival Batman!!!

Yes folks, the original thread that started it all is back.
My opinion of DJ might be changing for the better because it looks like he got a job for a while which is what he really needs and that photo of him and Bob on his facebook page is, well, priceless.

Toon
12-05-2013, 17:05
Holy thread revival Batman!!!

Yes folks, the original thread that started it all is back.
My opinion of DJ might be changing for the better because it looks like he got a job for a while which is what he really needs and that photo of him and Bob on his facebook page is, well, priceless.

I just reread the whole thing this is so funny I'm glad its starting over soon.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Toon
12-05-2013, 17:19
He was on his way to Springer but from his page looks like he's gonna be ringing a bell for the salvation army till Christmas he's in Canton GA

Malto
12-05-2013, 18:18
He was on his way to Springer but from his page looks like he's gonna be ringing a bell for the salvation army till Christmas he's in Canton GA

i just moved from Canton Ga a year and half ago. If I still lived there I would have to run down to Walmart and meet him. If he gets to Pa. I will hand deliver him a few half lb. Reese's Cups since he likes them.

Trebor66
12-06-2013, 12:51
i just moved from Canton Ga a year and half ago. If I still lived there I would have to run down to Walmart and meet him. If he gets to Pa. I will hand deliver him a few half lb. Reese's Cups since he likes them.

That's ironic, I did just the opposite. Moved from Pa to Canton Holly/Springs.

mfleming
12-12-2013, 21:52
Go Joe, go!

RITBlake
01-11-2014, 23:13
A little MinnesotaSmith nostaglia, here's his old website http://web.archive.org/web/19991009230942/http://www.y2ksafeminnesota.com/

RITBlake
01-11-2014, 23:14
nostalgia*

mfleming
01-11-2014, 23:21
I forgot how frickin nuts this guy is

Dogwood
01-12-2014, 02:30
Don Corleone (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/): I said that I would see you(hear you out) because I had heard that you were a serious man(?), to be treated with respect(?). But I must say no to you(don't want to hear or know anymore!) and let me give you my reasons(I've heard enough about GRAND Hiking Announcements that rarely ever go very far!). It's true I have a lot of friends in politics(the hiking community), but they wouldn't be so friendly if they knew my business was drugs(ooohh aaahh look at what I'm doing) instead of gambling(contently hiking with no fanfare) which they consider a harmless vice. But drugs(ooh aaahh look at what I'm doing), that's a dirty business.

Sollozzo (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504803/): No, Don Corleone...

Don Corleone (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/): It makes no difference, it don't make any difference to me what a man does for a living, you understand. But your business(ooh aaahh look at what I'm doing) is a little dangerous
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/)
Don Corleone (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000008/): [dismissive].... Anyway, Signor Sollozzo(Dakota Joe).... I want to congratulate you on your new business(Grand Public Hiking Attempt Announcement) and I'm sure you'll do very well(I suppose?) and good luck to you. Especially since your interests(hike) don't conflict with mine(my hike). Thank you.
[Sollozzo leaves]

This is the way I'm largely going to treat these attempts from now on!

4eyedbuzzard
01-12-2014, 03:26
Pretty bored, eh, Dogwood?

Dogwood
01-12-2014, 14:48
Preoccupied.

Sly
01-12-2014, 14:55
If he hustles he can make it to NOC in time for the SoRuck next weekend. I'll have to check out a few trailheads on the way up.

ChinMusic
01-13-2014, 18:47
Looks like he will be off the trail for a couple weeks. He almost made it to Blood Mountain and got hurt.

Toon
01-13-2014, 19:23
That was quick.