PDA

View Full Version : hike thru GSMNP or resupply in Gatlinburg

mainebob
01-23-2013, 21:21
We will be hiking northbound thru the GSMNP on our northbound thru hike the first week in April. We should be good for 15 mile days. Would you hike thru with 5 days of food (with a mail drop at Fontana P.O) or try to resupply in Gatlinburg.

I have been thru Gatlinburg before and have very little desire to go there again.

What is your suggestion.

Thanks, Sassafras and Kaboose

Codger
01-23-2013, 21:25
Mail drop at Fontana and go straight thru to Standing Bear, do yourshelf a favor and skip Gatlinburg.

Slo-go'en
01-23-2013, 21:29
I've done both. Fontana to Standing Bear in 5 days with good weather. Another time had really rotten weather so dropped down to Gatlinburg just to dry off and warm up for a day and let the weather improve.

I'd plan on going through non-stop, but having the option to get off the ridge line if it gets crazy up there is nice. The new 8 day permit allows for that possibility.

Bati
01-23-2013, 22:18
When I hiked it, I went from Fontana to Hot Springs, which was pretty standard back then. Sure, it was a heavy pack when I headed up the shuckstack, and I was down to a few nibbles when I walked into Hot Springs, but you should have better weather than I did given your start date. If the road is fixed, you might have option of heading to Cherokee instead.
You need to decide what kind of hike you'd like to have- one where you constantly resupply, even when the towns are distant and have the character of Gatlinburg or more of a wilderness experience that comes from fewer town visits. Neither way is bad, it's just a matter of what you're looking for in a hike. From your comment, it sounds like Gatlinburg isn't your type of town, so carry enough food to get to Standing Bear (or Hot Springs) and you'll be fine.

If you're not doing mail drops for special needs like medicine, you can decide what to do when you get to the road, provided you obtained extra food in Fontana. My advice is to only tells friends and family about mail drops you're pretty sure to make, such as Hot Springs and Damascus, and not ones that you're not sure you'll need.

yellowsirocco
01-23-2013, 23:10
Normally I hate Gatlinburg, but when I am hiking it is like Vegas.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2013, 05:58
I would think it depends more on if you want a rest/town day, and where you choose to take it.
No problem at all doing the smokies in 4-5 days, and carrying that amt food.

The Old Chief
01-24-2013, 11:51
Leave Fontana with 5 days of food and then do what you feel like doing when you get to Newfound Gap. It the weather is bad as it can easily be at that time of year in the Smokies go to Gatlinburg and enjoy it. At that time of year its not crowded, the motels are cheap, and the restaurants serve good food. The NOC has a full service store there also. If the weather is good hike on at the Gap.

flemdawg1
01-24-2013, 12:05
I would think it depends more on if you want a rest/town day, and where you choose to take it.
No problem at all doing the smokies in 4-5 days, and carrying that amt food.

I would offer that until 441 is fixed, traffic going thru NFG is going to be geatly reduced, (also no Cherokee-Pigeon Forge shuttle) so transportation might really turn into a pain if not prearranged. One would hope that Gran Prix or the NOC Great Outpost would resume their shuttles, but unless they do, I wouldn't bother even trying. (And I actually like Gatlinburg (take it in small doses, 2 days every 2 years)).

max patch
01-24-2013, 12:08
Normally I hate Gatlinburg, but when I am hiking it is like Vegas.

I agree 100%. Beer, pizza, bed. Good trail town.

flemdawg1
01-24-2013, 12:09
Let me rephrase that, I'd pack 5-6 days food, and if I could get a ride semi-quick at NFG (within 30 minutes), I'd go spend the night (Shower, wash clothes, get a couple of hot meals). Getting back to NFG might take a bit of luck or a shuttle/taxi.

max patch
01-24-2013, 12:10
I would offer that until 441 is fixed, traffic going thru NFG is going to be geatly reduced,

Time will tell, but I think it will still be an easy hitch.

mainebob
01-24-2013, 12:23
Thanks for all the great replies. I think we well head out with 5 days of food, and play it by ear, depending on the weather and the ride situation.

Thanks for help deciding!

Sassafras and Kaboose

RED-DOG
01-24-2013, 18:22
Pick up enough food at Fontana Damn to make it to Standing Bear Hostel, Avoid Gatlinburg like the Plague, it's not hiker friendly at all, it's a TOURIST TRAP.

lunatic
01-24-2013, 22:11
Mail drop at Fontana and go straight thru to Standing Bear, do yourshelf a favor and skip Gatlinburg.

Exactly what Codger said. Stopped there once - never again.

-Ghost-
01-30-2013, 08:55

Do this. I personally did it. Worked perfectly for me. Wasnt even too loaded down. Although i did have beautiful weather when going through.

fiddlehead
01-30-2013, 09:13
If you've never seen Gatlinburg, You might want to check it out just for the laugh.
Good quality ice cream (Baskin Robbins), plethora of restaurants, wax museum, stuff like that.
If you are into the wilderness experience, skip it.
I don't like to make these kind of plans and just go with how I feel when I get there.
The advice to take 5 or 6 days food out of Fontana is good.
Give yourself options and don't decide till you get there.
(Unless you hate tourist traps)