PDA

View Full Version : Memory-Map Navigator

greymane
06-06-2005, 11:21
Has anyone tried this software? It is pretty awesome. I have used Delorme, NatGeo and Maptech, but this is the best so far. I can load full USGS topos onto my computer and print any section I want. I can load them onto my Pocket PC and take them into the field with me. I can also send my planned routes / waypoints to my GPS.

The new DOQQs (aerial photos) available online are even better, but a bit to big to load large sections onto the Pocket PC. I can take 100 USGS quads no problem. Quads for most states I can get free off the internet, but they do sell whole state sets (with 1:24k, 1:100k and 1:250k scales) for less than $100. It comes with elevation data, too, so I can see the maps in 3D.

I found that with the waterproof paper, you can make your own field-ready maps of any area you want (even with your own notes and marks on it).

Just wondered if anyone else has tried it. (http://www.memory-map.com/home.htm)

refreeman
08-16-2005, 10:33
Thanks for the tip. I checked out Memory-Map Navigator. Memory-Map Navigator is an excellent hike planning tool. Kind of pricey though. Also, I think they should offer an AT version where all the maps for the AT can be purchased in a bundled rate package. I do like it better for planning hikes than Mapsource by Garmin. But the Topos for the Garmin were much less expensive.

greymane
08-23-2005, 09:13
I guess I can see your point, but if I can get a whole state of maps (in all three USGS scales) for less than a hundred bucks, I think that is a bargain. There are a lot of places you can download the maps for free or cheap (and they will work with the program), but it would take me forever to download 2000 quads. Not to mention, they come premerged into one large map (well, maybe two or three large maps for the bigger states). Not only do I get the maps, but elevation data (which I can use with my aerial photos or other maps).

I guess I am partial because I use it all the time, but I have to say that they update it pretty regularly and it just keeps getting better.