PDA

View Full Version : 1st day/night at Amicalola Falls and Springer

Zmaidment
01-24-2013, 00:29
Just wondering where would be the best place camp that night. I see that there are cabins, shelters, and campsites along the approach trail and on Springer. I'm headed up solo and was wondering what's the best thought process on picking a good spot to start from. I hope to meet some people to at least start my hike with. That being said, not so sure I'm looking for an all night rager. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Praha4
01-24-2013, 00:51
some good options:

a. Springer Mtn Shelter
b. Amicalola Falls State Park lodge at the top of the wateralls on Approach Trail
c. Max Epperson Shelter near the park Visitor center
d. Black Gap shelter just south of Springer on the Approach Trail

you could camp along the Approach Trail, there's lots of good spots. you'll meet lots of other hikers in march and april along in that section

nitewalker
01-24-2013, 07:16
lots of camping spots around black gap shelter. i stayed at a stealth site to the left of the trail on a flat spot that was down 200ft off the trail.

ChuckBrown
01-24-2013, 08:02
I stayed at the state campground at the top of the falls, and close to Inn. real showers and bathrooms. check in is at front desk of the inn.

slims
01-24-2013, 13:13
If you're looking to do the approach trail I'd say the best way to do it would be to get to the bottom of the Falls early and hike up to the top of Springer Mountain then hike the extra 0.2 to Springer Mountain Shelter.

Hikes in Rain
01-24-2013, 13:20
Stover Creek is "only" 2.6 miles further down the trail, and may be less crowded than the Springer Mountain Shelter site.

slims
01-24-2013, 15:35
That's another option. Easy couple miles downhill from Springer. There are a lot of spots to tent at Springer Mtn. Shelter though.

ardeaitch
01-24-2013, 16:07
If you're considering Amicalola Lodge, consider also the Len Foote Hike Inn. It's on a trail that runs parallel to the approach. You'll get dinner and breakfast and only be about 4.5 miles from Springer. Check it out at www.hike-inn.com (http://www.hike-inn.com). Many northbounders start out there.

RED-DOG
01-24-2013, 18:13
Their is a few Stealth Camp sites on Springer just left of the Plaque go about fifty feet or so, That's where i camp when i start a Thru-Hike.

WingedMonkey
01-24-2013, 19:52
A lot depends on how you want your kick off at Springer to be.

Do you want to share the moment with a crowd and the folks that drove them to the FS42 parking lot, or do you want to have some time to yourself on the mountain to think about what's ahead of you.

You can plan where you camp or shelter by what you want that experience to be, to some degree.

bigcranky
01-24-2013, 22:14
I've done both the Approach Trail, and the "dropped off at the FS 42 parking area" thing. Either one works. Assuming you want to hike the Approach Trail, then I would make a reservation at the lodge in Amicalola Falls State Park for the night before your hike. It's a nice place with an amazing view from your room. Plan to eat the breakfast buffet in the morning, then hit the Approach by 9am or so. That'll give you all day to make it to the top of Springer. Once there I would camp in one of the camp sites in the grassy area near the Springer Mountain Shelter. (The sites are on the trail to the shelter, but not very close to it.) Then the next morning get up, maybe tag that first white blaze one more time, and start walking north.

Papa D
01-24-2013, 22:23
You should be able to easily start the approach trail in the morning, enjoy the falls and make it to Stover Creek shelter by early afternoon - - the approach trail isn't all that hard. It's difficulty is greatly overrated - the stairs up next to the falls are the hardest part - really. Hawk Mountain Shelter isn't really that far fetched either if you want to make a 16 mile day to start. For what it's worth, I've made it to Neels Gap in 1 day (a big one).

Zmaidment
01-24-2013, 23:56
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm leaning towards a stealth site near the top. Wake up early and get to walkin. Suppose I will just let the rest fall into place. Next thought, about these bear canisters around blood Mtn, not really wanting to invest in one. Guess ill hike on through that area, or is there a way to finish my food up that night and make it to the next refill station?

rusty bumper
01-25-2013, 10:54
I hiked the 8.8 miles up the approach trail and then an additional 1.5 miles north on the AT on my first day. At that point I found a nice flat spot about 50 feet off the AT, and had a wonderful first night all by myself in my tent.

Praha4
01-25-2013, 11:06
several options to avoid having to buy a bear canister for that section. Camp along the trail before you get to Jarad Gap, as I recall the bear canister zone starts at Jarad Gap as u head north.... Lance Creek is also a decent camping spot south of Jarad Gap. You could then resupply at the Mountain Xings hostel/store right there at Neels gap, and if you get in early enough in the afternoon, you could even bunk there for the night at the hostel. The next shelter north is Low Gap shelter, around 10 miles. You can also hitch into Blairsville from Neels Gap for resupply. If u resupply at the Mountain Xings store, you will hit a major road xing at Unicoi Gap, about 19 miles further north, where u can hitch into Helen, GA for resupply and experience the "Little Switzerland" tourist trap atmosphere. But u can get a beer n' brat there too. Sorry, no hillbilly golf available til you get to Gatlinburg! :)

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm leaning towards a stealth site near the top. Wake up early and get to walkin. Suppose I will just let the rest fall into place. Next thought, about these bear canisters around blood Mtn, not really wanting to invest in one. Guess ill hike on through that area, or is there a way to finish my food up that night and make it to the next refill station?

max patch
01-25-2013, 11:31
Next thought, about these bear canisters around blood Mtn, not really wanting to invest in one. Guess ill hike on through that area, or is there a way to finish my food up that night and make it to the next refill station?

The no camping zone is the 5 mile section S of Neels Gap, where you can resupply at Mountain Crossings. You need to have a bear cannister to camp in this section; there is no allowance for camping there if you have no food in your posession. Good idea, though.

Zmaidment
01-25-2013, 16:26
That stinks. So I'd have to carry a canister even if I had nothing to put in it? Kinda dumb but what do you expect from the man? Guess ill take advise of camping just south and getting through it the next morning. I plan on having my first maildrop picked up at neel's gap. Really thought I had a decent plan as far as feasting the night before. Guess I could always go in halfs with someone on one too. If any sobo wanted to go in, could even split it 4 ways and leave it for ya at Mtn crossings

bigcranky
01-25-2013, 16:59
The canister rule applies only if you are camping. It's not too hard to avoid camping in that stretch.

BTW didn't I hear that the problem bear had been, uh, terminated with extreme prejudice?