PDA

View Full Version : Winter Footwear

ncwild
01-24-2013, 07:43
I know a lot of hikers have made the switch to trail runners or lighter shoes from heavy boots, as have I. Just curious as to what some of you are doing for winter when out for an extended time (a week or more) and encountering deep snow and ice? Plastic bread bags inside trail runners w/gaitors? Back to heavy or midweight boots? "Neos" Overboots? I have a pair of microspikes, but I don't think they will fit a heavy boot or overboot (size medium). Thanks.

Chaco Taco
01-24-2013, 07:51
Insulated boots, Keen Revel. Deep snow requires snowshoes, ice microspikes, Katoolahs, and for exposed areas, crampons are required for safety.
Now, in the south, I have hiked in trailrunners in snow and it was slow and really busted up my feet. I think boots are good to have down there. Just depends on the snowfall as it can vary widely year to year.
After moving up here 2 years ago, I have finally gotten enough winter gear to venture into the Whites in winter and its a whole different ballgame. Down south does get their moments of crazy winter weather and if you can get out and hike after, its loads of fun when you have the right gear. Up here it is more of dealing with wind chill and very cold temps. We dealt with below zero temps this past weekend in The Whites and it was great. We were nice and toasty.

1azarus
01-24-2013, 07:59
I've posted about this before, but didn't get much of a response... I've started using a larger-than-normal sized minimalist trail shoe with Rocky goretex socks (also in a larger size...) over heavy wool socks, with gaiters, and have been very pleased so far. till now it has been as Chaco Taco describes above --- bread bags, hydropel and wet feet. No reason this couldn't be paired with katoolah microspikes or snowshoes. UL, comfortable, warm, dry...

leaftye
01-24-2013, 08:01
I don't spend nearly enough time in deep soft snow. For occasional post holing in late winter hiking around here, this looks like it'd be more than warm enough. I might get a pair for winter cycling with platform pedals.

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/01/new-balance-mt110w-review.html

Chaco Taco
01-24-2013, 08:01
I have a new appreciation for GoreTex gaiters and soft shells!

I've posted about this before, but didn't get much of a response... I've started using a larger-than-normal sized minimalist trail shoe with Rocky goretex socks (also in a larger size...) over heavy wool socks, with gaiters, and have been very pleased so far. till now it has been as Chaco Taco describes above --- bread bags, hydropel and wet feet. No reason this couldn't be paired with katoolah microspikes or snowshoes. UL, comfortable, warm, dry...

The Cleaner
01-24-2013, 08:41
Vasque SnoBurban boots.Nice fit,400 grams Thinsulate.Just got em. I'd say that they will be great for cold & snow.Not too pricey,found them on sale...

JAK
01-24-2013, 09:05
I've posted about this before, but didn't get much of a response... I've started using a larger-than-normal sized minimalist trail shoe with Rocky goretex socks (also in a larger size...) over heavy wool socks, with gaiters, and have been very pleased so far. till now it has been as Chaco Taco describes above --- bread bags, hydropel and wet feet. No reason this couldn't be paired with katoolah microspikes or snowshoes. UL, comfortable, warm, dry...This is a very versatile solution for multi-day winter trips. You have to be prepared for extreme cold and dry walk on snow conditions as well as not so cold walk in snow conditions, and possibly even walk in cold water snow-melt conditions. The key is trail runners of a material which absorbs and holds the minimal amount of water, but it still breathable, not waterproof. The gortex socks provide the water barrier. Plastic bags are a good alternative because they are light/cheap and multiuse. You can get the blue bags that newspapers are wrapped in on small paper days if you don't buy bread. Neoprene socks are in my opinion better for walk in cold water conditions, but not in the other conditions. What you want to avoid is snow melting on your trail runners or inside your trail runners and then saturating your insulating layers which reduces insulation and causes even more snow to melt. When extremely cold it is not such a problem, but eventually snow will melt and freeze and melt and freeze and works its way in from the outside like a glacier and then you are done unless you have the means to melt and dry socks and shoes, aka fire. With gortex socks over the appropriate amount of wool socks for the temps, and trail runners that are non-water absorbing but breathable and ideally self-draining you should be able to stay dry on body heat alone. Wear socks as mitts to dry them out.

JAK
01-24-2013, 09:26
Thin non-insulated leather with something like a like trail runner tread that you can retread, waterproofed to some degree depending on conditions, and that fit comfortably with thin or thick socks and thin or thick insoles, works amazingly well and is very comfortable and versatile, but I only use this if I can use fire to dry them out, and re-waterproof when needed. I waterproof with beeswax/oil, but not so much in very cold dry conditions where I can them to breathe more. Made right they are not much heavier than some trail runners, like 12-16oz each for a size 12. Mine 14oz, but do quite ha ve the trail runner sole I would like, so they can be slippy in some conditons like wet rocks or snow over ice but are good in snow and on snow and turf. They have lasted many miles, but are now almost done.

I would like to try these if/when I can afford them,
with a somewhat higher ankle, and a way of adding gaiters.
http://www.quoddy.com/tracker-boot/

Maybe leather socks and trail runners?

Feral Bill
01-24-2013, 12:21
Consider t (http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Footwear/Boots/Salomon/Tundra-Mid-Waterproof-Boot-Men-s/_/R-217454.htm)hese http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Footwear/Boots/Salomon/Tundra-Mid-Waterproof-Boot-Men-s/_/R-217454.htm
My size 13s weigh 3lbs. I have not yet tried them on a multi day trip, but will report. They are warm and comfy.