PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for the African invasion

Mulungu
01-24-2013, 09:06
Be warned, the invasion of the United States by the South African couple of Springbock and southern Cross (maybe blisters and bread) not sure yet is about to begin.

The united states embassy in cape Town has agreed to give us our Visas and so there is nothing to stop us from starting the trail on the 19 April. Everything is planned, paid for and agreed to

now to start learning American English and finding out what the differences words mean

example trunk in america - that part of the car that carries your luggage. we know that as a boot.
traffic light (red amber green) to us that is a robot
you have a vacation we have a holiday
you have a sidewalk we have a pavement
you have beef jerky we have biltong

oh how much we are going to have communication with you all
looking forward to sharing our African perspectives and hearing American while walking with you.:) :D:banana

Karma13
01-24-2013, 09:08
Congratulations! I hope you have an outstanding hike! [I think that's the same in all flavors (flavours!) of English.)

Mountain Mike
01-24-2013, 09:15
Congrats on the visas. Did they mention the part where you have to buy every WB member you meet a beer?

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 09:18
Cool, enjoy your stay with us. And remember if someone say's "Oh...Fa get about it"!

That could mean; "forget about it", or, "are you crazy", "wow that's really cool", "Yeah, I'm not doin that", and "beat it kid...ya bother me".

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 09:20
Congrats on the visas. Did they mention the part where you have to buy every WB member you meet a beer?Or carry a watermelon to the top of Springer mountain....kidding, would love to see South America one day.

Oops I mean Africa, already been to South America.

bigcranky
01-24-2013, 09:42
Welcome and have a great hike.

joshuasdad
01-24-2013, 09:57
Cool, enjoy your stay with us. And remember if someone say's "Oh...Fa get about it"!

That could mean; "forget about it", or, "are you crazy", "wow that's really cool", "Yeah, I'm not doin that", and "beat it kid...ya bother me".

And don't forget about the Fifty Shades of Hey

http://screen.yahoo.com/50-shades-of-hey-29547089.html

Mulungu
01-24-2013, 11:05
Congrats on the visas. Did they mention the part where you have to buy every WB member you meet a beer?

trail magic?????? sounds good. a good glass of beer for a good american yarn deal.

Mulungu
01-24-2013, 11:07

http://screen.yahoo.com/50-shades-of-hey-29547089.html
and "just now" means later in a while perhaps maybe actually no when i am ready.
and all this to be overlaid by the diffreant accents north south east west American

Mulungu
01-24-2013, 11:10
Or carry a watermelon to the top of Springer mountain....kidding, would love to see South America one day.

Oops I mean Africa, already been to South America.

you would be most welcome. To get to Cape Town just aim far South.

atmilkman
01-24-2013, 11:11
and "just now" means later in a while perhaps maybe actually no when i am ready.
and all this to be overlaid by the diffreant accents north south east west American
If you're starting in Georgia definitely learn the word ya'll. Do you know what it means?

Train Wreck
01-24-2013, 13:13
If you're starting in Georgia definitely learn the word ya'll. Do you know what it means?

Also, the word "moron" is considered a term of respect in the state of Alabama. So feel free to address Milkman in this fashion. If you're feeling really polite, "MORON" in caps is nice. :D:banana

Grampie
01-24-2013, 13:22
Welcome to White Blaze, the USA and the AT trail..Hope you have happy trails during your visit.

atmilkman
01-24-2013, 13:51
Also, the word "moron" is considered a term of respect in the state of Alabama. So feel free to address Milkman in this fashion. If you're feeling really polite, "MORON" in caps is nice.
They also made a song in tribute to Train Wreck. It's called T-R-O-U-B-L-E. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Mwig3VqXg If you learn this by the time you get to North Cackalacky everybody will know who you are talking about. They'll say "oh yeah the girl that buys everybody free rounds all day everyday at the club".

HikerMom58
01-24-2013, 14:08
Will be thinking of y'all on April 19th (that's my "baby boy's" birthday..he'll be 29 :eek:) Anyway, so exciting for you...can't wait to meet ya! :)

Capt Nat
01-24-2013, 17:02
Hope you have a great visit and a great hike! Remember, here we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway...

Tinker
01-24-2013, 17:05
Be warned, the invasion of the United States by the South African couple of Springbock and southern Cross (maybe blisters and bread) not sure yet is about to begin.

The united states embassy in cape Town has agreed to give us our Visas and so there is nothing to stop us from starting the trail on the 19 April. Everything is planned, paid for and agreed to

now to start learning American English and finding out what the differences words mean

example trunk in america - that part of the car that carries your luggage. we know that as a boot.

looking forward to sharing our African perspectives and hearing American while walking with you.:) :D:banana

You say tomato, I say tomato; you say potato, I say potato. (doesn't really work well in print :D).

The place of my employment has (that may be "have" in your language) hired a Jewish woman from South Africa. I find it quite amusing that most people think that she is from the southern United States (but I can see the similarity). You'll feel pretty much at home in Georgia, but the New England states have some expressions that you may find familiar - for instance, most of us add an "R" to a word that ends in a vowel when the next word begins with a vowel - best example I can think of right away (or straight away) is "Pizza and beer", pronounced "Pizzerand beeyah" around here.

Welcome to the other side of the planet, other hemisphere, and land where we don't have kangaroos (most folks would spell it "kangaroo's" which actually insinuates that something belongs to the kangaroo [but don't tell an American - he'll be insulted] ;)). :)

Water Rat
01-24-2013, 17:09

Wooooo-hooooooo! Congratulations!!! Hope you have safe travels to the trail, and safe and happy hiking when you get there!

bennett254
01-24-2013, 17:12
Come prepared to share some food. South African cuisine is incredible.

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 17:17

http://screen.yahoo.com/50-shades-of-hey-29547089.htmlAnd in my best Lou Rawls voice..Hey Now...that was funny!

Hope you have a great visit and a great hike! Remember, here we park in the driveway and drive on the parkway...To this day I have pondered this.

you would be most welcome. To get to Cape Town just aim far South.Hey now, thee ole rocket socks have on board doppler and Nex-Rad real time, and they burn Mac and cheese!

bert304
01-24-2013, 17:27
Try to have a Porkroll, Egg and Cheese snadwich when you are in New Jersey

Train Wreck
01-24-2013, 17:32
You must be so excited! I'm looking forward to meeting you when you come through North Carolina!

Tinker
01-24-2013, 17:34
Try to have a Porkroll, Egg and Cheese snadwich when you are in New Jersey

Stay away from the snadwich .................:rolleyes:

Just funnin'. I'm lysdexic, er, lesdyxic....................whatever....... too! :)

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 18:18
Try to have a Porkroll, Egg and Cheese snadwich when you are in New Jersey+1 but ya gotta get it on a hard role, which is actually a soft roll...it's a east coast thing.

ooh, and you my hear them say SPK ?, which means, salt, pepper, ketchup, this is how I take mine...but without the salt.

bert304
01-24-2013, 19:49
Sorry but I can not edit my posts.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 19:58
If you're looking for great American food then southern BBQ can't be missed. It's mostly derived from West African cuisine but there are lots of similarities with South African food. Make sure you get pulled pork in the Carolinas and some dry rub ribs in Tennessee.

canoe
01-24-2013, 20:05
congrats.... You ll have a great time in the great USA

slow mind
01-24-2013, 20:08
We also have a lovely little cafe' run by a Hikerboy that serves a mean mashed tater.

Rattlesnake Jim
01-24-2013, 20:13
In 1998 or1999, I followed the journal of a man from South Africa during his thru-hike. I believe his wife updated the journal. He and I had emailed each other several times during his thru-hike, and I invited him to come to Hawaii where I lived at the time. He accepted and came after his hike, before he returned to South Africa. We did several hikes in Hawaii, the best being the one into the crater on Haleakala on Maui for 3 days! He was really a nice guy and he invited me to visit him and his wife in South Africa, but I never was able to go. I will have to look to see if I still have his name and address.

Odd Man Out
01-24-2013, 20:37
Hope you have a great adventure.

Most of your language examples seemed to be the same words that confuse speakers of British English.
BTW, most of us would say that middle light of the traffic light (aka stop light) is yellow (not amber).
When you get to around Maryland (which BTW is pronounced MARE-lund, never MARY-land), "y'all" become "you guys", and the crab cakes get better.

Not sure if you have inherited other British term. Is so you may find that:
a bonnet is a hood (both ends of the car get a different name).
a puncture is a flat
petrol is gas
mad is crazy
angry is mad
jelly is Jello
jam is jelly
trousers are pants
pants are underwear
crisps are chips
chips are fries

Have Fun!

yaduck9
01-24-2013, 23:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6zJ7IsJkM

SunnyWalker
01-25-2013, 00:18
I hope you enjoy your walk and have a good and pleasant experience. Welcome to the USA and I hope you receive a taste of what freedom means to us.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 01:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS6zJ7IsJkMPerfect, fagetabouit...thanks yaduck9

ChinMusic
01-25-2013, 01:39

Please leave your vuvuzela at home............;)

Mulungu
01-25-2013, 04:28
You say tomato, I say tomato; you say potato, I say potato. (doesn't really work well in print :D).

The place of my employment has (that may be "have" in your language) hired a Jewish woman from South Africa. I find it quite amusing that most people think that she is from the southern United States (but I can see the similarity). You'll feel pretty much at home in Georgia, but the New England states have some expressions that you may find familiar - for instance, most of us add an "R" to a word that ends in a vowel when the next word begins with a vowel - best example I can think of right away (or straight away) is "Pizza and beer", pronounced "Pizzerand beeyah" around here.

Welcome to the other side of the planet, other hemisphere, and land where we don't have kangaroos (most folks would spell it "kangaroo's" which actually insinuates that something belongs to the kangaroo [but don't tell an American - he'll be insulted] ;)). :)

thanks but here in Africa kangaroos live only in zoos. we have elephants, lions, cheetahs (the cat kind and the human kind) rhino, and buffalo,
i will spend some time in front of the mirror ordering pizza and beer,

Mulungu
01-25-2013, 04:29
we are looking for a bit of peace and quite, so hopefully no noisy vuvuzelas. that said i can make one make agreat deal of noise.

Mulungu
01-25-2013, 04:32
Hope you have a great adventure.

Most of your language examples seemed to be the same words that confuse speakers of British English.
BTW, most of us would say that middle light of the traffic light (aka stop light) is yellow (not amber).
When you get to around Maryland (which BTW is pronounced MARE-lund, never MARY-land), "y'all" become "you guys", and the crab cakes get better.

Not sure if you have inherited other British term. Is so you may find that:
a bonnet is a hood (both ends of the car get a different name).
a puncture is a flat
petrol is gas
mad is crazy
angry is mad
jelly is Jello
jam is jelly
trousers are pants
pants are underwear
crisps are chips
chips are fries

Have Fun!

and so the madness and the fun continues. Looking forward to the funny expressions as we attempt to be understod.
promises to be agreat adventure.

Mulungu
01-25-2013, 04:42
If you're looking for great American food then southern BBQ can't be missed. It's mostly derived from West African cuisine but there are lots of similarities with South African food. Make sure you get pulled pork in the Carolinas and some dry rub ribs in Tennessee.

we will be sure to be on the look out for good food. really looking forward to tasting real american food.
we have most of the fast food chains here so nothing new there but your pies (we call them tarts or cakes) that should be a treat.

any other foods we should not miss

hikerboy57
01-25-2013, 06:47
could you please stop by nigeria to pick up my atm card? i need the money.someone wiped out my bank account

Grits
01-25-2013, 08:10
Congratulations and enjoy your hike. Remember it is pronounced
uxOt2D2DSaw
App a latch ian Trail

Grits
01-25-2013, 08:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxOt2D2DSaw
+ 1 on the BBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY:sun

Tinker
01-28-2013, 09:59
Sorry but I can not edit my posts.

You can, if it's worth it to you. ;)

Typos are fun, but no big deal. We all make them, especially those of us who took typing classes. (esp. if we're dyslexic - yours truly :o).

It's all good. :)

WingedMonkey
01-28-2013, 10:57
Typos are fun, but no big deal. We all make them, especially those of us who took typing classes. (esp. if we're dyslexic - yours truly :o).

Finger stuck on the period?

:p

rocketsocks
01-28-2013, 11:03
+ 1 on the BBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY:suncool tune, thanks for posting.

OzJacko
01-29-2013, 08:10
+ 1 on the BBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY:sun
But if we all say Appalachian like someone from the south there would be no fun in listening to other people say it would there.

As I've said before, for everyone who thinks my accent is funny, I'll have a thousand who I think are funny.

By the way Mulungu, no one comes from South Africa.
They all come from South Effrica.....:D