PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hey.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 13:21
HEY! My name's Thomas. Life's lined up an opportunity for me to finally thru the AT starting March 16th. I'll have 2 badass trail dogs in tow. I have tons of experience with dogs and have lots of tools to make handling them easier. (Trick: use your bear bag line between 2 trees with your leash and an extra biner as a dog run while you're in camp.) I have a considerable amount of hiking/outdoor experience and I'm well equipped and reasonably light. I'm a bit out of my normal shape but I'm working on it. Anyway: Just wanted to say hey. Figured I could use some angels keeping track of me.

Train Wreck
01-24-2013, 13:30
:welcome
Hi there and welcome to White Blaze! Lots of good information on this site and helpful people. Take a look around, there are plenty of people with plenty of opinions on every subject rated to hiking ;) Don't take everything you hear too seriously and you'll be fine. Have fun!

Feral Bill
01-24-2013, 13:40
As you are in Asheville, I trust you have dog sitters lined up for going through the Smokies.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 13:48
Lol. I thought I made it clear in my first post that I wasn't interested in debating and/or being criticized about my dogs. I have taken very extensive measures to make sure I handle things right and am well equipped. Thanks for your concern.

HikerMom58
01-24-2013, 14:14
Lol. I thought I made it clear in my first post that I wasn't interested in debating and/or being criticized about my dogs. I have taken very extensive measures to make sure I handle things right and am well equipped. Thanks for your concern.

Hey Thomas.... good for you!! ^^^^. If you are keeping a TJ let us know. If not then, check in with us from time to time on here. Wishing you the very best. Yeah, you got angels!!! ;)

Feral Bill
01-24-2013, 14:16
Lol. I thought I made it clear in my first post that I wasn't interested in debating and/or being criticized about my dogs. I have taken very extensive measures to make sure I handle things right and am well equipped. Thanks for your concern. No intent to criticize. Just noting that you are in a better position than most for a thru with dogs. Have a wonderful trip with the pups.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 14:27
No intent to criticize. Just noting that you are in a better position than most for a thru with dogs. Have a wonderful trip with the pups.

No worries. Any time you mention a dog here a million up tight people appear and destroy any value the thread might have had with their half baked theories. I'd rather just avoid that. I've trained dogs for therapy/assistance work for many years. I do have tons of neat tips and tricks that'll I'll share on the dog forum from time to time. Good dog info is the biggest thing missing from this site.

tarantolk
01-24-2013, 14:55
That is great that you can bring your dogs along!! What breed/s, names? I'm thru hiking this year & wish I could take mine, he'd love it. Unfortunately he has epilepsy & needs constant medication. It would be too difficult, but he loves the outdoors/woods. Good luck :-)

hikerboy57
01-24-2013, 14:56
i think bill just wanted to make sure you knew of the restrictions along a few sections of the trail

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:20
Lola is a 3 1/2 year old 45lb Flat Coated Retriever, Wire Haired Pointing Griffon, Chow, German Spitz mix.
Brady is a 1 1/2 year old 40lb German Shepherd mix. I haven't had him DNA tested yet but he looks (and acts) just like a golden colored German only less than half the size.

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 16:26
Well lord knows I'm no angel, but :welcome

to White Blaze and good wishes comin your way. Have a great hike. Didn't check your bio yet..but any pics of the kids in tow?

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:30
I'll put up some pics and work on the bio later. Running work errands right now.

tds1195
01-24-2013, 16:41
Welcome to the forum. Tons of great/helpful people here. I would love to see photos of your dog(s)!