PDA

View Full Version : AT Trip Canceled

BuckeyeBill
01-24-2013, 16:08
Well it looks like I will have to cace my AT hike this year. I had surgery on Tuesday that turned into more than was expected. A CT Scan showed an abcess in my intestinal tract which resulted into having part of my small and alrge intestine to be removed and reconnected. I won't have to worry about my appendix causing me probems, because they took that section out as well. The good news is they got everything. The bad news is I have what is caled Crohn's Disease, which is a auto-immune disorder of the intestinal tract. The doctors say that if I can keep it under control with medication for a year, they don't see any reason I can't try again next year. So I am going to stick around this forum to continue to learn and share my thoughts with other hikers. You all have taught me show much in the short time since I found it that I can't see going any other place. To the Class of 2013, good luck on your hike and may God watch over you on your journey. :D

Karma13
01-24-2013, 16:13
So sorry to hear this, BuckeyeBill. Get well soon.

tiptoe
01-24-2013, 16:14
Sorry to hear about this, BuckeyeBill, and I'm glad you are taking the long-term view. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and future miles on the trail.

bennett254
01-24-2013, 16:26
Plenty of people live relatively normal lives with Crohn's. Is there any specific concern you have that prevents you from trying this year? If you're healed and physically healthy I see no reason why you can't hike this year. For the most part doctors are more concerned with liability than actual patient care. Disclaimer: Not a doctor. I have worked for a lot of years in pharmacy and emergency medicine.

Coffee Rules!
01-24-2013, 16:30
Wow dude, that sucks! Here's to quick healing and a great trip next year!

stranger
01-24-2013, 16:34
My mate hiked the AT with Crohns, you will get there

Liminal
01-24-2013, 16:34
:-?...maybe you can hook up with someone and hike vicariously through/with them... emails, photos, updates, etc... get well soon!

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 16:36
Bill, sorry to hear you won't be able to make it this year. My family also has similar Auto immune issues, uncle has had crones for about 35 years, and flares up ever now and again, but lives a relatively normal life with the help of modern pharmacology. I too was treated for crones at one point, though my decease turned out to be a different auto immune disorder, Personal message me if you have any questions, or just to bull s***. hope you feel better soon. :)

Capt Nat
01-24-2013, 16:40
The trails not going anywhere and hiking isn't everything. I know it will be hard to swallow the disappointment but health is the most important thing. I find it easier to sidelines quarterback than do so you should have a lot of fun watching a lot of us fail this year. Good luck getting well! Capt Nat

tds1195
01-24-2013, 16:42
Huge bummer! Sorry to hear that, man. Don't lose the dream though! Get back on as soon as ya can.

royalusa
01-24-2013, 17:04
Sorry to hear of your news. The year we thru'ed (2008), a young girl with Crohn's hiked a good bit of the trail (don't recall how many miles) before a stress fracture in the foot side-lined her for a bit, but then she got back on the trail that same year after her recovery to hike more of the trail! If I remember correctly, her journal covered some of her challenges of hiking with Crohn's: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=212159

She was also on the cover of a magazine geared to those with Crohn,s, along with an article about her AT hike. Sorry, don't know the name of the magazine.

Keep dreaming...your time to hike will be here before you know it.

Camel2012
01-24-2013, 17:08
That is unfortunate, but your health is more important. When you're ready, the trail will still be there waiting for you.

BuckeyeBill
01-24-2013, 17:19
Plenty of people live relatively normal lives with Crohn's. Is there any specific concern you have that prevents you from trying this year? If you're healed and physically healthy I see no reason why you can't hike this year. For the most part doctors are more concerned with liability than actual patient care. Disclaimer: Not a doctor. I have worked for a lot of years in pharmacy and emergency medicine.

Well I got a 10 inch incision in my abdomen that has to heal from the inside out. They don't want me doing any lifting for a long while until the muscles are healed. My daughters both said I looked like a gutted fish, LOL. I know the trail will be waiting on me and I am not going to let this stop me. My future plans include completeing the triple crown so I have a lot of hiking to look forward to. I also want to do the Buckeye Trail here in Ohio so thats another 1300 miles to do. I am just glad they found it now instead of half way through my hike. I do pan on folowing a few hiker's journals this year so I know what to expect when I get on the trail.

nitewalker
01-24-2013, 17:33
bill sorry to hear the bad news. get yourself healed up and hit the trail next season. if you feel like decompressing some go hang out in mountainmikes cyber jukebox. some kool tunes going around..best of luck to ya!!!

Magic_Rat
01-24-2013, 17:40
Sorry to hear that Bill, I was hoping to run into you on the trail this year. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

BuckeyeBill
01-24-2013, 17:46
Thanks everybody. I WILL get better and I WILL hike the AT. What do they say that half the trip is mental.

CarlZ993
01-24-2013, 17:57
I'm sure that was tough news to get. Get well and give it a shot when everything has stabilized.

Ender
01-24-2013, 18:03
Sorry to hear all that. On the bright side though, the AT isn't going anywhere, and now neither are you since they got everything, so you'll be around next year to try. :)

hikingirl
01-24-2013, 21:52
Here is to a speed recovery and coming back even stronger next year!

q-tip
01-25-2013, 18:16
I feel for you-I had to cancel my Col. Trl. Trip this year due to selling my house so fast--bummer---but there is always next year (JMT For Me!!!)