PDA

View Full Version : Roasting Hot Dogs in the vertical position

zelph
01-24-2013, 21:07
Flame Roasting a hot dog with an alcohol stove. Dual purpose, heating water and verticle roasting.

When you get to a re-supply town you can get a package of hot dogs and have an evening roast.

I used Reynolds Non-Stick aluminum foil, bamboo skewers and the Venom Super stove.

1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol was used to cook them (2)

One of the skewers was sticking out the bottom long enough to stick it into the ground to support the dogs. The photos show how it was placed. The stove was lit and allowed to burn itself out. I did this a couple of years ago. I have had a taste for Chicago Style hot dogs so I'll cook some tomorrow and I'll also do a video of the process. In the interum, take a look at the photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/th_SuperStoveHotDogCooker006.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/?action=view&current=SuperStoveHotDogCooker006.jpg)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/th_SuperStoveHotDogCooker004-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/?action=view&current=SuperStoveHotDogCooker004-1.jpg)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/th_SuperStoveHotDogCooker003.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/?action=view&current=SuperStoveHotDogCooker003.jpg)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/th_SuperStoveHotDogCooker007.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/Ring%20of%20Fire%20Hybrid/?action=view&current=SuperStoveHotDogCooker007.jpg)

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2013, 21:14
Well Zelph - if it works for you great, we all have ideas. - I wont try this anytime soon...

I will give this some thought.

zelph
01-24-2013, 21:20
Well Zelph - if it works for you great, we all have ideas. - I wont try this anytime soon...

I will give this some thought.

Ya gotta have the right stuff;) and like hot dogs:)

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2013, 21:24
There we go- all beef blessed - Hebrew National... traditional Sauerkraut, Grey Pupon! and Amish Potato rolls... Sorry I have grown up tastes...

zelph
01-24-2013, 22:01
There we go- all beef blessed - Hebrew National... traditional Sauerkraut, Grey Pupon! and Amish Potato rolls... Sorry I have grown up tastes...

You grown ups can keep your high society weiners, give me the plain ole vienna pure beef hot dogs Chicago style. Sorry, I'm still a kid:D

Bill Strebler
01-25-2013, 01:11
Years ago I ate enough Chicago-style hot dogs (in Downers Grove) that I think they gave me dyslexia. I moved away and my dyslexia went away. It was either hot dogs or Subway where I worked, and I didn't care for Subway. I sure wouldn't mind a Chicago-style Hebrew National right about now, though.

I don't expect I'll try this, but it does interest me. I might try a variant. I haven't seen them in the U.S., but in Mexico they have hot dogs that are wide and flat, which seems more practical in a lot of ways. Just the opposite concept- I remember hot dog shaped hamburgers years ago at 7-11. I never ran across those in the grocery stores.

I like the idea of experimenting on the trail with different foods, but I do prefer to get it down at home first so I don't end up eating tree bark. One recipe I made recently- hard tack- got green and fuzzy withing a few days, so I have to watch that.

Well, I'm rambling. I do that when I'm tired or hungry. I think I'll go look for a hot dog in the fridge then go to bed.

oops56
01-25-2013, 02:18
slice the dog in the middle half way in all the way down and some the other way in a bit it not split or cur up

Toli
01-25-2013, 02:42
You grown ups can keep your high society weiners, give me the plain ole vienna pure beef hot dogs Chicago style. Sorry, I'm still a kid:D

+1 Dan... Got the same stove and it worked PERFECT!!! Genius... WOO doesn't even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop... Whats he know about wieners :-?...

moytoy
01-25-2013, 04:42
Nothing wrong with a good hot dog. Dual purpose for me would be the hot dogs and a can of chili.

zelph
01-25-2013, 17:12
+1 Dan... Got the same stove and it worked PERFECT!!! Genius... WOO doesn't even know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop... Whats he know about wieners :-?...

We are creative;)

Tomorrow it's shishkabobs or maybe a skewer filled with jumbo shrimp. This method of roasting is not limited to hot dogs. Just think, maybe even some roasted French Toast sticks for breakfast with maple syrup. Now that's a nice thought for a trail breakfast.

Here is a video of how I cooked them today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxenLQXN-Wk

Another Kevin
01-25-2013, 18:17
I think there's another active thread talking about having your wiener in a vertical position.

HikerMom58
01-25-2013, 18:38
I think there's another active thread talking about having your wiener in a vertical position.

OMG... LOL...you didn't just say that... ;) Too funny!!

Isn't that what LW calls everyone... weiners? weenies? HA!

zelph
01-25-2013, 21:40

You and “Another Kevin” are two of a kind, think alike and need each other.:D

zelph
12-18-2014, 01:18
I bumped this one up for TNhiker. He can try to roast fish fillets using his stove.

TNhiker
12-18-2014, 01:25
Ha.....just read the thread top to bottom....

i think i may try shrimp......

then a filet mignon.....

rocketsocks
12-18-2014, 07:38
Very clever Zelph, all over this one.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2014, 09:14

no mommy, it's not

Starchild
12-18-2014, 09:48
I have considered some variations to roast hot dogs or other goodies but I would be concerned that some of the unburnt fuel from imperfect combustion may end up somehow on/in the hotdog. This would be OK if you are using 190 proof grain alcohol as your fuel, but I would be hesitant if using DA or Heet.

rocketsocks
12-18-2014, 09:54
no mommy, it's not
lets be Frank :D

Damn Yankee
12-18-2014, 10:11

I didn't know Lil Wayne liked hot dogs

squeezebox
12-18-2014, 11:25
So what's a Chicago style hot dog?
I use the handle of a flyswatter, take off the swatter part, bend the forks to a more usable position, for sausages, marshmallows etc.

Deacon
12-18-2014, 13:27
I use the handle of a flyswatter, take off the swatter part, bend the forks to a more usable position, for sausages, marshmallows etc.

And do you go back to swatting flies with it when you're done? [emoji3]

MuddyWaters
12-18-2014, 15:54
To think all this time Ive just been heating them in hot water.

Deadeye
12-18-2014, 17:15
Friend of mine is a so homophobic... he eats his hot dogs from the middle out.

vamelungeon
12-18-2014, 17:28
I love hot dogs, but I think I'll stay with the old wiener on a stick over a campfire routine.

RED-DOG
12-18-2014, 18:30
Wouldn't the aroma from the Alcohol mix in the Hot Dog and make them taste like crap, I think i will keep roasting mine on an open camp fire for better taste and enjoyment.

TNhiker
12-18-2014, 18:31
i havent tried this method yet, but i would think by wrapping them in foil, one could avoid the alcohol flavoring the meat...........

rocketsocks
12-18-2014, 18:41
I think fat breaks down alcohol...prolly not a huge difference in taste, only one way to tell, bon
apatite.

rocketsocks
12-18-2014, 18:42
I think fat breaks down alcohol...prolly not a huge difference in taste, only one way to tell, bon
apatite.wait, switch that, alcohol is broken down by fat...wait, never mind, you get it.

Starchild
12-18-2014, 18:45
Wouldn't the aroma from the Alcohol mix in the Hot Dog and make them taste like crap, I think i will keep roasting mine on an open camp fire for better taste and enjoyment.

The aroma is unburnt fuel and yes, that's my previous post. Not the taste so much but the poison of this fuel could get on and in the hotdog.

You are actually making a still by doing this, alcohol will evaporate at the heat source (not all is burnt), and condense on the hotdog 'cooled' Al Foil and on the dog (unless its a totally vapor proof seal - with foil is impossible - try to stop a vapor). The nature of alcohol, being 'water loving', would cause it to be absorbed into the dog once it condenses on it.

Again ethanol no problem (high proof grain alcohol), methanol (Heet& DA) and alcohol co-solvents (DA) not so much.

MuddyWaters
12-18-2014, 21:37
The aroma is unburnt fuel and yes, that's my previous post. Not the taste so much but the poison of this fuel could get on and in the hotdog.

You are actually making a still by doing this, alcohol will evaporate at the heat source (not all is burnt), and condense on the hotdog 'cooled' Al Foil and on the dog (unless its a totally vapor proof seal - with foil is impossible - try to stop a vapor). The nature of alcohol, being 'water loving', would cause it to be absorbed into the dog once it condenses on it.

Again ethanol no problem (high proof grain alcohol), methanol (Heet& DA) and alcohol co-solvents (DA) not so much.

Eat and get a buzz at the same time cooking with ethanol..

zelph
12-19-2014, 10:35

A Chicago hotdog is an all beef frank laid out on a poppy seed bun with all the fixins served on the corner of Maxwell and Halsted streets in Chicago. When I was a little tyke I was weened on CSHD’s J
Maxwell street was an “open air” type of fleamarket event held every Sunday. I would think I am the only one here on the forum that has experienced that market.

https://alocalthing.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/max-out-at-maxwell/

Greenlight
04-14-2017, 23:49
Four and a half years later, I say... ha haaaaa. I was hiking at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana last July. It was hot. The descents down a footworn glacial stream bed were perilous, and the 'skeeters were horrendous. When I got back to my car after ten miles of this, I blasted the AC, pulled out an iced down PBR (right in front of the Nature Center)
and proceeded to wolf down cold mystery meat wiener after wiener in white buns with nothing but ketsup until I felt the energy returning to my overheated bod.
It was glorious and I relive the moment often.

zelph
04-15-2017, 12:40
Four and a half years later, I say... ha haaaaa. I was hiking at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana last July. It was hot. The descents down a footworn glacial stream bed were perilous, and the 'skeeters were horrendous. When I got back to my car after ten miles of this, I blasted the AC, pulled out an iced down PBR (right in front of the Nature Center)
and proceeded to wolf down cold mystery meat wiener after wiener in white buns with nothing but ketsup until I felt the energy returning to my overheated bod.
It was glorious and I relive the moment often.

Brings back a memory. Came off a bush wacking hike dehydrated and hungry as all getout. Drove 15min. to the nearest small town grocery store, gulped down 2 large bottles of cold water, ate 1/2 package of weiners and then 1 more bottle of water. Drove 20 min. to a mcdonalds and had lunch with plenty of Dr. Pepper to wash it down. :-) good times ;)

Greenlight
04-15-2017, 13:31
That's great! Things I ate when I was really hungry. To this day I get cravings for ice cold hot dogs with ketsup.

Brings back a memory. Came off a bush wacking hike dehydrated and hungry as all getout. Drove 15min. to the nearest small town grocery store, gulped down 2 large bottles of cold water, ate 1/2 package of weiners and then 1 more bottle of water. Drove 20 min. to a mcdonalds and had lunch with plenty of Dr. Pepper to wash it down. :-) good times ;)

rocketsocks
04-15-2017, 22:55
I Belushi'd a dog once...it wasn't worth the nickname that came with it...nor the offers.