PDA

View Full Version : Where to camp at the 20 mile mark?

msumax1985
01-24-2013, 22:39
Starting Springer late March. Planning to heed advise of several others and limit myself to 10 mile days early on. After Hiker Hostel, planning on Hawk Mtn Shelter first night, Neels Gap Hostel (and a shower) third night. What is a good place for tenting the second night? Just got my AWOL 2013 Guide and cant seem to find a good spot around 20 miles in. Anything around Ramrock Mtn or Woody Gap?

Don's Brother
01-24-2013, 22:58
On a section hike a few years back, I camped just past the road at Woody Gap. I know camping near roads is not advised; however, on that night there were probably 5 or 6 tents set up there in mid-March. On my thru this year, I'm looking at camping there again. As I remember there are a few flat areas good to tent. Plus there are restrooms.

Airmed802
01-24-2013, 23:02
There are some nice sites on top of the ridge after you climb out of woody gap. You will wake up to a great sunrise if its clear. There is also a nice grass field just before woody to the west of the trail. Either one would make for a short day to the hostel on your 3rd day.

CarlZ993
01-24-2013, 23:06
When I did a section hike in 2010 (Springer to Dicks Creek Gap), I camped one night @ Lance Creek (24.3). I don't recall the sites GA Hatman mentioned. Guess I should look up more often when I hike. :)

BuckeyeBill
01-24-2013, 23:10
My plan was Hawk Mtn Shelter, Gooch Mtn SHelter, Lance Creek then Neel Gap. That Way I woudn't have to get a hard bear canister or have a long day going over Blood Mountain.

Violent Green
01-24-2013, 23:11
Starting Springer late March. Planning to heed advise of several others and limit myself to 10 mile days early on. After Hiker Hostel, planning on Hawk Mtn Shelter first night, Neels Gap Hostel (and a shower) third night. What is a good place for tenting the second night? Just got my AWOL 2013 Guide and cant seem to find a good spot around 20 miles in. Anything around Ramrock Mtn or Woody Gap?

Several spots for a tent before & after Woody Gap. IIRC there are 2-3 spots on Ramrock Mtn as well. Be prepared for Woody Gap to have a lot of visitors.

Ryan

Don's Brother
01-24-2013, 23:15
I pitched my tent across the road at Woody Gap maybe 10 to 20 yds up the trail to the right. There were a couple of other tents very close to mine. I also remember a tent behind the picnic tables on the south side of the road. I'd better be careful. I may be giving my spot away.

atmilkman
01-24-2013, 23:19
I pitched my tent across the road at Woody Gap maybe 10 to 20 yds up the trail to the right. There were a couple of other tents very close to mine. I also remember a tent behind the picnic tables on the south side of the road. I'd better be careful. I may be giving my spot away.
You're not giving it away. This is where I was told to go. I'll be there 3 days ahead of you. I'll keep the ground warm.:)

Almost There
01-25-2013, 15:24
After Gooch Shelter a little ways you have the cleared area where the old shelter used to be. Wouldn't be a bad place as its a decent distance from the current shelter...or you could have the Hiker Hostel come and get you if the weather sucks, and they can drop you back at Woody Gap the next morning.:)

FatMan
01-25-2013, 15:59
There is a nice campsite on Ramrock Mtn about 1 mile south of Woody Gap. There is no water so you would have to carry from either Gooch Gap or Grassy Gap. There is also a nice campsite about a half mile south of Woody Gap and being March there will be water about 75 yds further down the trail at a seasonal seep. There are several campsites at Woody Gap with water nearby. And there are also campsites on Big Cedar but you will have to carry water from Woody. You could also go a bit further to Lance Creek but that is where everyone will be staying due to the canister rule so expect it to be very crowded.

There is no need to worry about camping spots on this section of trail. You will find them everywhere. You just have to make sure you load up with water when you can just before deciding to stop for the day.

FatMan
01-25-2013, 16:08
After Gooch Shelter a little ways you have the cleared area where the old shelter used to be....The old shelter was well off the trail. The foundation is still there. The cleared area I believe you are referencing has always been just a camping area.

flemdawg1
01-25-2013, 16:12
There are some nice sites on top of the ridge after you climb out of woody gap. You will wake up to a great sunrise if its clear. There is also a nice grass field just before woody to the west of the trail. Either one would make for a short day to the hostel on your 3rd day.

Yep stayed in this area 2 years ago. Found a spot about 1/4mile north on the right had room for 4 tents.

Almost There
01-25-2013, 16:15
You are correct, and I am dumb;)

Malto
01-25-2013, 17:21
There is a super secret place just past Woody Gap. Initially the trail follows an old road bed then goes off to the right. The old road goes to the left and if you follow that road a couple hundred yards there are plenty of places to camp and there was water.

bigcranky
01-25-2013, 17:36
Instead of staying at Gooch Mountain shelter, keep hiking to Gooch Gap and stay in the nice grassy clearing just past the forest road. Nice spot. Bring water from the shelter.

As for Woody Gap, I just kept hiking from Gooch Gap to the next shelter area, which is shy of the Blood Mountain summit. Makes for a very short 3-4 mile day into Neels.

Good idea to stop at Hawk Mountain the first day. Seriously.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2013, 12:03
As for Woody Gap, I just kept hiking from Gooch Gap to the next shelter area, which is shy of the Blood Mountain summit. Makes for a very short 3-4 mile day into Neels.

But that's in the required bear canister section, which we all want to avoid. I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle that section this year.

Praha4
01-26-2013, 12:35
just north of Woody Gap, stealth campsite just to left (west) of the trail behind some rocks.... at the Big Cedar Mtn overlook

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2013, 14:04
But that's in the required bear canister section, which we all want to avoid. I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle that section this year.One option is to walk off the trail at leat a 1/4 mile, then you're not required to have a canister.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2013, 15:55
One option is to walk off the trail at leat a 1/4 mile, then you're not required to have a canister.

Just try to walk a 1/4 mile off the trail around Blood mtn - easier said then done! I'll probably do the Woody gap option and then head right for Neels, arriving later in the day instead of early.

One thing I'll miss about not staying at Woods Hole shelter is announcing to everyone "Hey guess what, you just completed 1.3 % of the trial!" and hearing everyone groan :)

bigcranky
01-26-2013, 18:42
But that's in the required bear canister section, which we all want to avoid. I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle that section this year.

Oh, yeah. Oops.

bigcranky
01-26-2013, 18:43
Wait, if you hang your food on the bear cables, do you still need a canister?

Razor
01-26-2013, 20:00
Yes, you need a canister for camping between Jarrard and Neel Gap, approx a 5 mile distance. The best place to stop before is Lance Creek. .And someone mentioned Gooch Gap--there is good water supply
there well marked.

max patch
01-26-2013, 20:10
Just try to walk a 1/4 mile off the trail around Blood mtn - easier said then done! I'll probably do the Woody gap option and then head right for Neels, arriving later in the day instead of early.

Lot of hikers feel the need to stay at the hostel in Neels; those that fit in this category should camp at Lance to ensure that space is available when they arrive.

SassyWindsor
01-27-2013, 15:50
If you are indeed starting at Springer then I'd say somewhere near Woody Gap. If starting at ASP, then somewher around Hightower Gap.

Red Hat
01-27-2013, 17:08
Big Cranky, the bear at Wood's Hole Shelter loves foodbags. He has become proficient at getting them down. That is exactly why the bear canisters are required in this area. From Hawk Mtn on Day 1, I would suggest Gooch Shelter or Gooch Gap camping area for day 2, Lance Creek for day 3, and Neel Gap for Day 4. Day 2 is a very tough day for most folks climbing up Sassafrass is a real awakening.

bigcranky
01-27-2013, 22:24
Good suggestion, Red Hat, and thanks for the info. I've done the GA section several times and totally agree with your suggestions.