PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up-Alcohol Stoves Not Banned in Colorado

SunnyWalker
01-25-2013, 11:39
Alcohol stoves are only banned in those counties that have an ban on open fires. Last time I looked that was not the case statewide nor in very many counties.

Spirit Walker
01-25-2013, 14:32
Fire bans in NM tend to start in early May, if they are going to happen. In 2006, only one county in NM had a fireban, and that didn't happen until the week we arrived in Grants. Since rainy season is late summer they are usually lifted before the SOBOs arrive. In 2000, the entire state of Montana was closed in August or September to hikers because of fire danger. I don't know whether they started with a fire ban or not.

brian039
01-25-2013, 15:22
It's another bad snow year unless there's a miracle, expect the bans to come.

Mags
01-25-2013, 15:50
Currently there are no open fire bans.

Unless things change, though, expect more bans this summer.

It is looking grim here in CO in terms of the snow pack.

And, despite what others may say, those bans mean no alcohol, esbit or wood burning stoves.
http://www.jcfpd.org/coburndefinitions.pdf

SNIPAGE:

Colorado Burn Ban Definitions
STAGE I

1). Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, coal or wood burning stove, any
type of charcoal fueled broiler or open fire of any type in undeveloped areas.

Possible Exemptions For Stages 1 & 2
4). Mechanical stoves and appliances fueled by bottled or liquid gas which allow the operator
to control or extinguish the flame with a valve are permitted provided that such devices are approved by Underwriters
Laboratory Inc

Wood stoves obviously fall under these bans (says so point blank! :D) . Esbit and Alcohol stoves fall under these bans due to lack of UL designation and/or no shut off valve.

I'm not a govt official or a lawyer, but I feel pretty confident in the above statements.

Chaco Taco
01-26-2013, 15:10
good to know, thanks for the info

SunnyWalker
01-28-2013, 09:26
Alcohol stoves are not currently banned in these areas but probably will work that way. For current fire ban info:
New Mexico: nmfireinfo.com/information/fire-restrictions-on-state-and-private-lands/
New Mexico: nmfireinfo.com
Colorado: coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html
Wyoming: wy.blm.gov/wy-fire-restrictions/
Idaho: deq.idaho.gov/air-quality/burning/burn-restrictions-and-bans.aspx
Montana: kulr8.com/news/local/Montana-counties-with-fire-restrictions-161245825.html
Other: firerestrictions.us
Enjoy your alcohol stoves while you can.

SunnyWalker
03-17-2013, 17:54
Its started. Put your alcohol stoves away. Fires are started in CO and in some counties including Las Animas, there is a fire restriction in place. Looks like this would include alcohol stoves as it is a liquid type stove. 3/17/13

Venchka
04-14-2013, 16:05
Since fire bans include any device without an on-off device, why bother? Carry the right stove.

Wayne
Alcohol is for drinking.

smithcj06
04-14-2013, 18:41
Alcohol is for drinking.

second that.

SunnyWalker
04-14-2013, 23:02
I'll use alcohol stove (Caldera Cone) everywhere I am able to and allowed.

Venchka
04-15-2013, 13:38
I'll use alcohol stove (Caldera Cone) everywhere I am able to and allowed.

That's cool.
Big problem: You are backpacking with your alcohol stove way back in the woods. Or way above treeline. Far from anywhere. Farther from news sources. A burn ban goes into effect. How you gonna know that your alcohol stove has been banned? How you gonna cook?

Wayne

smithcj06
04-16-2013, 09:44
That's cool.
Big problem: You are backpacking with your alcohol stove way back in the woods. Or way above treeline. Far from anywhere. Farther from news sources. A burn ban goes into effect. How you gonna know that your alcohol stove has been banned? How you gonna cook?

Wayne

Trivial argument. If you are already out and a burn ban goes into effect then there is no way to know. You keep on doing what you do i.e. using an alcohol stove responsibly. When you get into town and find out about the burn ban then you change something about your set-up. It would be stupid to be over preventative to the point of not using an entire category of gear. That being said I use a pocketrocket haha because I prefer it over homemade alcohol stoves and plan on using on this year on my sobo thru. The fire ban issue came up a lot on the PCT this past summer because it was super duper dry and there were wildfires everywhere from northern cali till stehekin (made for great views!!). There were still bunches of people breaking the ban and it happens (especially with some ego driven thruhikers unfortunately). Using an alchy stove is more of a fire risk certainly but if the person is doing so in a responsible and overly cautious manner then I don't see it being an issue.

SunnyWalker
12-07-2013, 20:23
I am returning to CDT this Spring 2014. Will start out with Caldera Cone/Alcohol Stove with my Pocket Rocket in my bounce box. Good compromise.

bearcreek
12-08-2013, 11:14
Trivial argument. If you are already out and a burn ban goes into effect then there is no way to know. You keep on doing what you do i.e. using an alcohol stove responsibly. When you get into town and find out about the burn ban then you change something about your set-up. It would be stupid to be over preventative to the point of not using an entire category of gear. That being said I use a pocketrocket haha because I prefer it over homemade alcohol stoves and plan on using on this year on my sobo thru. The fire ban issue came up a lot on the PCT this past summer because it was super duper dry and there were wildfires everywhere from northern cali till stehekin (made for great views!!). There were still bunches of people breaking the ban and it happens (especially with some ego driven thruhikers unfortunately). Using an alchy stove is more of a fire risk certainly but if the person is doing so in a responsible and overly cautious manner then I don't see it being an issue.

SunnyWalker's approach is good. Be prepared to change. There usually is some warning before bans go into effect. In the San Juans they enact bans in zones, with the lower elevations first, then extend them higher. Fire bans are ordinarily posted at trail heads, and if you walk past one and are caught with an illegal stove you will pay a big fine.

Consider going stoveless. I have done some stoveless hikes but used MRE's to make coffee in the morning - that is a good way to go. This method has the added benefit of saving some weight.

Frequently some part of the trail will be closed due to active fires and hikers need to consider ways to go around them. Good idea to send some Trails Illustrated maps along in your bounce box as well so you can figure that out. Last summer early hikers made it through the San Juans but those arriving later were stopped by fires. It is common for either the Black Range or the Gila River route to be closed, as well as the Bob Marshall. The trail was closed in Rocky Mtn. National Park as well.