PDA

View Full Version : Best THru-Hike Shorts

StylinLP38
01-25-2013, 17:24
Ive been looking at the shorts on Amazon and am unable to decide which is the best and why. It seems that all the serious hiking shorts are not wool. But they are over 60% cotten and %40 Poly or 40% Nilon. Ive found these two shorts so far.

Kuhl Ramblr Short's

74% cotton, 26% nylon. · Lighter, stronger and faster drying than canvas. · Fabric weight 5.1 oz/sq. yd; 172 GSM. · KühlairTM vent system for comfort. · Gusseted crotch. · New 3-D cell phone pocket. · 10" inseam. · Easy care, wash and wear

Propper Black Lightweight Tactical Shorts F523350001

[Lightweight 65% Polyester / 35% Cotton Ripstop Coated with DuPont Teflon, they repel liquids and stains in addition to being fade and wrinkle resistant. The shorts features a 10-inch inseam, snap-cap closure with French fly, heavy-duty reinforced seat, action stretch waistband, 11 pockets including two wallet pocket-in-a-pockets, two coin pockets, reinforced front pocket openings, a cell phone pocket large enough for a PDA, an extra large belt loops and a handy D-Ring for keys or tools

Blackhawk Men's Light Weight Tactical Short

65% Poly/ 35% Cotton Ripstop 6.5 OZ with Teflon DWR 6.5 oz. poly/cotton ripstop fabric. Features: DuPont Teflon DWR (Durable Water Repellent) fabric treatment resists stains; high-quality YKK zippers and Prym snaps; gusseted crotch allows increased movement; extra-wide, reinforced belt loops accommodate BLACKHAWK! CQB/Rigger’s Belt and other belts up to 1.75” wide; silicone grip strip in waistband keeps shirt tucked; hidden, expandable waistband slides to increase waist size for increased mobility; angle-cut hand pockets have flat edges for proper placement and orientation of knives, pens, etc.; gusseted thigh and leg pockets for expansion as needed; zippered, rear hip pocket keeps wallet secure; hidden zipper pocket behind the right-hand pocket keeps valuable items secure; ample 11” inseam; and a traditional fit.

kidchill
01-25-2013, 17:48
My suggestion? Boardshorts! I grew up in FL so I've been used to living in boardshorts. I took 1 pair to wear in town and then ended up getting a pair to hike in...why you ask? Here's the deal; they're super-light (non fancy ones will be about 5-7oz), they dry quick, they ventilate well, and they're comfortable...You don't need crazy pockets, that's what your pack is for...

Fairway
01-25-2013, 17:48
Cheap nylon running/gym/tennis/basketball shorts work fine. I prefer pockets.

StylinLP38
01-25-2013, 18:04
What about just a lion cloth? Ventilation at its best! :)

jeffmeh
01-25-2013, 18:19
Too much trouble to hunt and skin the lion for the pelt, IMO.

StylinLP38
01-25-2013, 18:27
Well, i already have the Kuhl Ramblr Pants. Like them alot. I may try the Kuhl Ramblr Short's

Praha4
01-25-2013, 19:04
best hiking shorts I've ever used are Golite Mesa Trail Run Shorts... either 9" or 12". I only wish Golite would add pockets. They are currently out of stock, supposed to be in stock in mid Feb-2013.

http://www.golite.com/mens/run-and-hike

Lyle
01-25-2013, 19:26
I've used nylon gym shorts, "Hiking" shorts, Convertable shorts, and nylon running shorts. They all work. What kind of shorts you choose will play zero role in how your hike goes (for the most part). They can always be replaced along the way if you really have a problem with what you choose. One caveat: If you plan to carry your Ziploc trail wallet around town in your shorts pocket, make sure it will securely close in some way. Zipper, button, velcro. If it doesn't securely close - don't carry your "wallet" in it. Plastic bag in nylon shorts means NO friction. The bag will slide out of your pocket extremely easily.

Almost cost me a three week hike and LOTS of grief replacing credit/debit cards, insurance card, driver license, and cash. Only saving grace was honest customer, honest store employee and a fantastic shuttle driver that went WAY beyond his obligation in helping a hiker.

OzJacko
01-25-2013, 19:29
No such beast exists.
I only wear long pants.;)

topshelf
01-25-2013, 19:55
surprised no kilt suggestions, but definetaly running shorts, the thinner the better, no cotton, dicks sporting goods had a good variety of these on sale in our local store earlier this week.

jeffmeh
01-25-2013, 20:00
surprised no kilt suggestions, but definetaly running shorts, the thinner the better, no cotton, dicks sporting goods had a good variety of these on sale in our local store earlier this week.

Yep, no cotton, and light nylon running shorts work great.

RedBeerd
01-25-2013, 21:24
The shorter the shorts the better (for me) I use 4" inseam Nike DRI fit running shorts. Perfection.

leaftye
01-25-2013, 21:33
They're more expensive, and Mountain Hardwear hasn't restocked yet, but a kilt isn't a bad idea for those already considering wearing shorts.

mrcoffeect
01-26-2013, 09:43
I love my campmor convertable pants. I've got all i need in one piece of clothing. on chilly mornings i start with the legs on. When i start to warm up, unzip the front of the legs to vent. if i start to over heat the legs come off. And i keep them in the top of my pack so if i get chilly when taking a break.

Deadeye
01-26-2013, 10:04
+1 on zip off shorts from Campmor, Columbia, and others. Caveat: they're usually nylon, which will stretch/relax when damp (we all sweat), so an elastic waist is helpful. Stetching and weight loss = pants falling down.

Sly
01-26-2013, 10:11
I usually buy Ex-Officio zip-offs, or their shorts (100% nylon, no cotton), when I can find them on sale. I like the pockets and can trust their sizes.

staehpj1
01-26-2013, 10:15
I tend to most often wear and like 5" inseam Nike Drifit running shorts. I sometimes add bike tights under them if it is colder.

For conditions where I take zip off leg pants I like the inexpensive Word Wide Sportsman ones from Bass Pro. They are inexpensive, light weight and comfy. Be sure to get the nylon ones, not the cotton ones. They have a built in brief, but if you don't like that you can cut it out easily.

bennett254
01-26-2013, 11:01
Another vote for board shorts. The best thing is they have a flat, wide waist that doesn't stretch and generally have a low profile tie front. They don't move or bunch under a waste belt. You can also find them in all sorts of ridiculous patterns.

NickDezern
01-27-2013, 11:14
Board shorts! The reasons have been listed... Light, made to dry fast, can get with or without pockets, can find cheap ones, and the flat waist lines are great for pack comfort! And of course... YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT INTO THE WATERHOLE CAUSE YOURE WEARING A BATHING SUIT!!

The Phoenix
01-29-2013, 04:00
Fancy "hiking shorts" 40-75 dollars... gym shorts... already in your closet! Whenever I thru-hike I am always doing it in a pair or two of simple basketball shorts with two pockets for convenience. No need to over think it... breathable, dry fast, comfortable, cheap, and light!

Deacon
01-29-2013, 07:58
I use these. L.L. Bean 100% nylon, has pockets, you barely know you're wearing them

http://http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36414

poopsy
01-29-2013, 17:04
The thinking behind this thread escapes me. The only true threat to hikers on the trail are provided by ticks and mosquitoes. We are talking the chance of permanent disability and death. Lyme disease and West Nile are not jokes. Why would a sane person wear shorts given real substantiated risks?

SCRUB HIKER
01-29-2013, 17:18
The thinking behind this thread escapes me. The only true threat to hikers on the trail are provided by ticks and mosquitoes. We are talking the chance of permanent disability and death. Lyme disease and West Nile are not jokes. Why would a sane person wear shorts given real substantiated risks?

Oh, I don't know, because only 10,000 people have completed thru-hikes in shorts? This type of thread brings out all the loonies ("You'll die if you wear shorts on the AT!" "Wear these $50 hiking shorts!" "Wear a kilt!").

Shorts are the least important gear choice on the trail--the only criteria that could possibly matter are that they're synthetic (so they dry quickly after rain, river fords, sweat, etc.) and that they have pockets (for when you're in town and don't want to be carrying money in your hand or shoe). Board shorts, basketball shorts, running shorts, nylon 1990s-Agassi-style bright green Reebok tennis shorts from the thrift store (my go-to) ... they all get the job done. For the AT, this is not a question that requires a lot of thought, discussion, or money spent.

msupple
01-29-2013, 17:48
Oh, I don't know, because only 10,000 people have completed thru-hikes in shorts? This type of thread brings out all the loonies ("You'll die if you wear shorts on the AT!" "Wear these $50 hiking shorts!" "Wear a kilt!").

Shorts are the least important gear choice on the trail--the only criteria that could possibly matter are that they're synthetic (so they dry quickly after rain, river fords, sweat, etc.) and that they have pockets (for when you're in town and don't want to be carrying money in your hand or shoe). Board shorts, basketball shorts, running shorts, nylon 1990s-Agassi-style bright green Reebok tennis shorts from the thrift store (my go-to) ... they all get the job done. For the AT, this is not a question that requires a lot of thought, discussion, or money spent.

Amen!!!

Cat in the Hat

poopsy
01-29-2013, 18:40
Perhaps I should clarify my comments. Maybe I should not have said this thread "escapes me". Instead I would like to say that it confuses and astonishes me. I live in a region of the continent where west nile virus is still rare and lyme disease is virtually unknown. The threat of these diseases from my perspective far outweigh any other risks faced on the trail. At a time when municipal, state and federal health officials are trying to get Americans who go into the woods to cover-up and use an effective repellent, you say people who follow these rules are "loonies"?

Perhaps I've been misled.

daddytwosticks
01-30-2013, 08:33
"Loonies" is probably a bit harsh. But I do argee with SCRUB HIKER. Some type of shorts are worn by the majority of AT hikers, especially here down south in warmer weather. Bugs be damned. :)

Camel2012
01-30-2013, 13:32
I have found ticks on my legs while wearing pants on the AT, but never found any on me wearing shorts except on my socks and boots. So do i think shorts are better? No, but i honestly don't believe pants are any better either. Ticks have an easier time locking onto my pants rather than my sweaty legs. That's my philosophy, and everyone gets their own whether right or wrong. Its just what works for me, and i don't use bug spray either. I guess I'm just asking for it.

I prefer convertibles to hike in, and cheap basketball shorts for camp, but have been considering board shorts for the reasons listed. Plus, i just like the way they fit.

SCRUB HIKER
01-30-2013, 14:11
"Loonies" is probably a bit harsh. But I do argee with SCRUB HIKER.

Hey, he questioned "why a sane person would ever consider wearing shorts on the AT." I was just returning fire.

I have a suggestion for Mr. Poopsy. Go out onto the AT on one of those suffocating hot 98-degree days in July, stop every person you see wearing shorts, and preach to them of the unspeakable danger they have put themselves in. Cite the government figures. Enlighten them on the evil machinations of ticks and mosquitoes. Explain to them why they ought to be hiking in fear of imminent death and destruction because of their carelessness in exposing their knees and calves. Do all of this with the same Puritanical gravity you've applied to your online posts. I think you'd probably find a lot of hikers questioning your sanity.

People are going to wear shorts on the AT. It's a logical response to the fact that it's about a billion degrees and a hundred percent humidity most days in the summer on the East Coast. My original suggestion stands--just spend the least possible amount of time and money on finding a pair of shorts that you can swim in, keep money in, and be 500 yards from a public school in.

Moose2001
01-31-2013, 19:52
Perhaps I should clarify my comments. Maybe I should not have said this thread "escapes me". Instead I would like to say that it confuses and astonishes me. I live in a region of the continent where west nile virus is still rare and lyme disease is virtually unknown. The threat of these diseases from my perspective far outweigh any other risks faced on the trail. At a time when municipal, state and federal health officials are trying to get Americans who go into the woods to cover-up and use an effective repellent, you say people who follow these rules are "loonies"?

Perhaps I've been misled.

Perhaps! If you believe that wearing pants will prevent you from getting lyme, you're sadly mistaken! It's much easier to find and remove the ticks wearing shorts! If you're really that afraid, maybe just stay home!

Old Boots
01-31-2013, 22:11
I use some shorts called Bimini Bay from Walmart $9.95. 100% nylon shell and 100% polyester liner. Don't need underwear and they are very light.