PDA

View Full Version : New AT hiker... HELP! 3.5 months for school... =(

Aviator37
01-25-2013, 17:51
Hello all! I plan on starting my NoBo hike this spring with a buddy around the first week of May as soon as school ends and having to end during mid August. I have slowly (and painfully) been adding gear to my pack. I currently have an osprey Talon pack 22Lt that I use on day hikes (will more than likely have to get another) and using a eno hammock setup. I had planned on using a sleeping back and a simple foam mat to sleep in the hammock to keep the under draft. The quilts are far out of my price range for now. I have an optimus cooking set and some dry/stuff sacks to keep essentials. My main problem is me thinking that there is always some things I am missing. I have shoes, socks, rain pants/jacket, (considering buying atom LT jacket) and shirt but can't decide on pants material/zip off or just normal running shorts. I'm the kind of person who researches an item to death before buying and gets the best of best at
reasonable price range.

Some people that worked at rock/creek said to come by after I get all my gear and they could help set me up with the correct back pack however I believe they would sell it to me even though my small one might just work. I was mainly worried about food packing into it.

I would like some input on how far do you think me and my buddy will manage to get? Will this "Repel Mosquito stop" with key ingredient Permethrin work the whole time with one spray on cloths/tents or do I need to invest in a ENO guardian bug net? What types of water treatment methods would you guys use? (I was considering a gravity filter) Will my simple hammock work for my time on the AT considering that I (hopefully) shouldn't run into any winter weather or should I invest in some type of winter setup? ... and of course any other essential items that i might need.

ParkRat09
01-25-2013, 22:09
Do you live in Chattanooga?

tds1195
01-25-2013, 22:25
I don't use a water filter. I use aqua-mira and it's pretty good most of the time...I have yet to find the need for an actual filter but if I did get one I would probably get a Sawyer squeeze.

weary
01-25-2013, 22:28
My advice is to bring whatever gear you are comfortable with, along with a couple of hundred extra dollars in case you have forgotten something. You'll find friendly people on the trail that will get you to a critical shop, if you find it needed.

Blissful
01-25-2013, 22:43
As to how far you will get, that really depends on you. But you can easily accomplish the first part of the trail for sure and have a great time! If you try to overextend and just hike without enjoying it, you could end up making it more a drudgery than an adventure.

Aviator37
01-25-2013, 22:44
Yes I do live in chattanooga lol and I have these tablets to clear water but I'm not to fond of the taste that they leave behind. I was thinking the filter becuase someone told me as long as you back wash them (gravity filter just invert) then they virtually last forever and can filter 1.5 L per min. and thank you Weary I believe that is what I'm leaning towards. I'm probably just over thinking the cloths thing and I'm going to have about $2000 or so with me for the trip (well not with me but in bank)

Aviator37
01-25-2013, 22:51
I'm a pretty intense person so the plan is to average 15 - 20ish miles a day. =)

ParkRat09
01-25-2013, 22:55
Yes I do live in chattanooga lol and I have these tablets to clear water but I'm not to fond of the taste that they leave behind. I was thinking the filter becuase someone told me as long as you back wash them (gravity filter just invert) then they virtually last forever and can filter 1.5 L per min. and thank you Weary I believe that is what I'm leaning towards. I'm probably just over thinking the cloths thing and I'm going to have about $2000 or so with me for the trip (well not with me but in bank)

I'm only taking the Aqua Mira drops with me bc I'd have to carry them as backup for the Gravityworks anyway so I fig I'd just take the drops. They are also quicker than the tablets and completely tasteless so they're def the way to go.

Btw I work at rock/creek so if you want to come in and talk about gear and packs I can help you out for sure. And I would never sell you something like a pack if you already have one that works. I can guarantee you however that a 22L pack is about 2 or 3 times smaller than what you'll actually need

Aviator37
01-25-2013, 23:29
Dude I may have actually talked to you. I talked the someone in hamilton place one and they said the EXACT same thing with Aqua Mira drops cause I was talking about the iodine tablets, but yea PM me when you work or something and I'll drop by

LHT
01-26-2013, 22:15
I think this video you might help you out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVoX6mlmdI
Loner thru hiked with a hammock setup and a 20L backback, seemed to work good for him. The smaller volume pack would force you to bring only what you need which should help your daily mileage.