PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on start/end dates

stefanib123
01-25-2013, 18:40
I was thinking (I know, my head hurts) and I think Ive come to the conclusion that I would prefer a later start date. Not too late, of course.

The reasoning behind that is I think it would be easier dealing with cold at the end of a thru hike, after my body has toughened up. Instead of at the beginning, when a person doesn't have their "trail legs"? I'm thinking that it might be easier after spending so much time outdoors versus in the beginning coming from a nice fluffy bed.

Anything wrong with this? Something I'm not thinking of, something I'm missing?

-Animal
01-25-2013, 19:23
I started in February last year and the cold wasn’t bad until April. I say leave as early as you can and be prepared for anything.

mountain squid
01-25-2013, 19:45
Well, The Whites are likely to be cold regardless of when you start . . . . and possibly Maine, too.

If I were starting again I would start about the 2nd week of Apr to avoid the earlier colder temps (Jan, Feb, Mar). I would figure that you'll be more experienced and probably better able to cope with the colder temps up North by the time you get there. I doubt there are as many hikers who get off the trail in NH/ME because of cold compared to how many get off in GA because they are not prepared for the cold . . . . (don't be overconfident through the Whites though, you'll still need your cold weather gear by then.)

I reckon it'll be about 15f on top of Roan tonight . . . .

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

max patch
01-25-2013, 19:53
The reasoning behind that is I think it would be easier dealing with cold at the end of a thru hike, after my body has toughened up. Instead of at the beginning, when a person doesn't have their "trail legs"? I'm thinking that it might be easier after spending so much time outdoors versus in the beginning coming from a nice fluffy bed.

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.

I started 5/1 and I was a lot colder in the first weeks of my hike than I was the last weeks of my hike. I finished the first week of October and had snow off and on in Maine. This is anecdotal, but I believe the body get tougher and acclimated to the outdoors as the hike progresses.

ChinMusic
01-25-2013, 19:57

As a section hiker I have never had trail legs. I am starting fairly eary, late Feb. I have section hiked the AT in Dec and Jan (I picked decent weather windows) and know what I am getting into.

Some say that the shorter days are a negative. Well, I don't think I will be ready to hike more than 12 hours until later anyway. I don't see it affecting my hiking that much as I ease into things.

On the contrary to worrying about cold, I fear the heat of July/Aug and a late start would put me right in the worst of it.

IMO a late start is for the very fit/speedy/experienced.

takethisbread
01-25-2013, 20:01
Well, The Whites are likely to be cold regardless of when you start . . . . and possibly Maine, too.

If I were starting again I would start about the 2nd week of Apr to avoid the earlier colder temps (Jan, Feb, Mar). I would figure that you'll be more experienced and probably better able to cope with the colder temps up North by the time you get there. I doubt there are as many hikers who get off the trail in NH/ME because of cold compared to how many get off in GA because they are not prepared for the cold . . . . (don't be overconfident through the Whites though, you'll still need your cold weather gear by then.)

I reckon it'll be about 15f on top of Roan tonight . . . .

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

I agree second week of April is a good start. But characterizing Maine as "cold " in September, I think isn't really accurate . It's perfect hiking weather. 55 to 65 during the day, 40's at night. For the most part. The southern Appalachians in Feb are usually much much colder than that and frankly maybe as good as that in April. It's barely creeped above freezing this week on many places on the southern AT.

BCPete
01-25-2013, 20:10
My wife & I are planning for 2015, and we're thinking of leaving very late Feb or March 1-2. I find gear planning for temps to be kinda tough - because what we call cold (here in central interior of BC) is probably not the same as what people on this forum call cold.

From what I gather from my readings throughout WhiteBlaze, there will probably be some sub-freezing days/nights if we leave March 1. So our plan is to be prepared for our normal 3 season hiking that we do up here - so we're going with our standard gear that keeps us comfortable at night to temps as low as 10-15F. Once we get to Pearisburg VA, we plan on switching out some gear to more lightweight summer stuff. I'd rather carry a little bit heavier gear at the beginning than be cold at night - especially with a very cold-blooded wife. If she's not happy, I'm not happy! :cool:

wnderer
01-25-2013, 20:45
I keep thinking about a June to November Flip Flop. Go north from Springer to Harpers Ferry and then head south from Katahdin to Harpers Ferry. Avoid the crowds and the ticks. Use only summer gear the first half. Change to autumn gear for the second half and hike south with the Fall colors.

Mountain Mike
01-25-2013, 20:50
Cold at the end means with very little body fat. But then again you will be in great shape & used to carrying a pack even if you have to add a few warmer layers.

stefanib123
01-25-2013, 22:11
Cold at the end means with very little body fat. But then again you will be in great shape & used to carrying a pack even if you have to add a few warmer layers.

Aha...that's one I hadn't thought of! But, I agree its one that can be compensated for.

BcPete, it may wind up being 2015 when I get to go. I live in East Ky.,in the Appalachians, so I'm sure your idea of cold is a bit different from mine. We are having a bad spell of weather right now, cold and ice and snow. I would hate to be on a trail tonight!

A flip flop is very enticing, especially in a 3 parter. But, I think I want to do a NOBO Georgia to Maine.

55 to 65 days sound perfect to me. I do worry about the heat,too. I'm wondering if I could take breaks in the hottest part of the day, hiking more in the early/late part of the day? I read someones trail journal, cant remember who, that would have the main meal in the middle of the day, doing that sounded like it was a good idea.

ChinMusic, would you consider early to mid April a late start, getting into the heat too late?

ChinMusic
01-25-2013, 22:18
ChinMusic, would you consider early to mid April a late start, getting into the heat too late?

2013 will be my first thru. Yes, I would fear the heat of summer by starting in April. There are a LOT of past/experienced thruhikers that say late April is the best spot. Maybe I will change my mind after I have done my first, who knows.

I actually look forward to a bit of winter experience and don't fret over reasonably cold temps. My definition of reasonable is prob above 15°. I will be prepared for temps below that but may not enjoy it. To me a perfect day is highs in the upper 40s and lows in the upper 20s.

evyck da fleet
01-25-2013, 23:13
I'd recommend starting the second week of April which gives you about six months to get to Katahdin. I started 4/19 and didn't have a choice as to starting earlier because of work. The benefit of starting later is that its usually warmer with longer days. That didn't really matter to me when hiking but since I was sitting
around most of the time having just started I appreciated that it was a little warmer.

The coldest nights I spent on the trail were two nights were it was around freezing about four or five days into my hike. By the time I got to NH/Maine I knew when I was getting cold and put on the appropriate layers beforehand so it wasn't an issue. The hottest days I experienced were in PA in late June and CT in mid July. The Shenandoahs are still around 4,000ft in elevation so you get a break from the heat until you're almost at Harpers Ferry.

DavidNH
01-25-2013, 23:24
start no later than early to mid April. You want to be up to Katahdin by early October.. mid September even better. That way you'll end with peak fall foliage and you won't be rushed. So many Yahoos zip up the trail in five months or less and end up finishing when it's still summer... whereas if they left earlier or took it a bit easier they'd end up in best weather conditions (mid to late September).

stefanib123
01-26-2013, 10:37
start no later than early to mid April. You want to be up to Katahdin by early October.. mid September even better. That way you'll end with peak fall foliage and you won't be rushed. So many Yahoos zip up the trail in five months or less and end up finishing when it's still summer... whereas if they left earlier or took it a bit easier they'd end up in best weather conditions (mid to late September).

I definitely dont want to rush. The whole point (for me,anyway) is to enjoy being outdoors.

Do you guys think that the mileage you can do at home is any indicator as to how you will do on the trail? I do 10-15 miles a day here, in the Appalachians, so do you think I could do that starting out on a thru?

mountain squid
01-26-2013, 11:17
Do you hike 10-15 miles for days in a row with a full backpack on? It probably takes 3-4 weeks to get your 'hiker legs' to a point when they don't mind walking all day, everyday (not to mention potential blisters). I would suggest starting off with an average of about 10 miles for the first week or so (somedays less than 10 and some more). No need to push yourself too hard in the beginning . . . and since you say you don't want to rush . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

stefanib123
01-26-2013, 11:34
Do you hike 10-15 miles for days in a row with a full backpack on? It probably takes 3-4 weeks to get your 'hiker legs' to a point when they don't mind walking all day, everyday (not to mention potential blisters). I would suggest starting off with an average of about 10 miles for the first week or so (somedays less than 10 and some more). No need to push yourself too hard in the beginning . . . and since you say you don't want to rush . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

No,very light packs. I hike that one day, sometimes a weekend and a few 4-5 days. I mostly do a day trip.

The longest trip ever was 5 days, and that was with easy hikes, no more than 5 miles a day. I don't want to rush, I'm just thinking of planning, you know, mail drops, etc. And wondering how much training I should be doing. Some people have told me not to worry about training, other than to test out the gear!

Im also doing several section hikes this year, so hoping that will help me with planning for a thru.

RED-DOG
01-26-2013, 11:42
Like the old saying, Hike with Spring, I say leave mid March that way you would be hiking with Spring, it would still be cold but not really cold and by the time you reach the northern sections it would be summer, but on all three of my Thru-Hikes i started on Springer Mid Feburary and finished mid July, But whenever you start remember one thing the Mosquitoes and Blackflies are Mean from May althrough the summer. RED-DOG

brian039
01-26-2013, 13:11
I started late March and finished mid-Sept. It was a really weird year. It was cold the first couple of days, then I had 60-80 degree weather all the way past the Smokies. Then it got cold again for a short time. Then it was hot as crap the whole way except for a couple of days in Maine. I was in shorts on Mt Washington. There were still some 90 degree days in Maine in September that year. That's probably not normal but just goes to show you that you never know what you'll get. I also missed fall because it started late that year. I finished on Sept 15th and never saw the first leaf change.

I'd start mid-April, you'll more than likely get to Katahdin in mid Sept and have the best chance for warmish weather the whole way.

Monkeywrench
01-26-2013, 18:32
By the time I reached northern New England I was so skinny and depleted I felt cold with the slightest chill. Heck, I remember putting my down sweater on one evening in July in eastern New York when the temp dropped into the low 70s. I had no issues like this in Georgia back in mid-March.

I also remember a number of fellow thru-hikers getting up in the morning in Maine and talking about how they hadn't slept well because of the cold.

stranger
01-27-2013, 07:33
Your thinking is sound IMO, the later you leave the warmer and less variable the weather will be (generally speaking). But I've seen snow in the south into May, so no guarantees. If I left Springer again I wouldn't leave before April 25th, mainly due to crowds.

10-K
01-27-2013, 07:40
I haven't read this entire thread so pardon me if this is redundant but I have always thought that if I were going to do a complete thru of the AT I would leave on May 1 with the objective of finishing in August.

Because...

1. I would not have a bunch of cold weather gear (aka much lighter pack).
2. Which would allow me to hike faster.
3. Which would give me a less expensive hike.

swjohnsey
01-27-2013, 12:52
If you start NOBO around April 1 you can finish early in September and with a little luck miss most of the cold weather on both ends.

stranger
01-28-2013, 04:26
1 April start means a rat race for 500 miles, overcrowded shelters, rent sites, hostels and motels....I've been there! But yes, nice time of year to start weather wise

stranger
01-28-2013, 04:26
'Tent' sites

stranger
01-28-2013, 04:27
I haven't read this entire thread so pardon me if this is redundant but I have always thought that if I were going to do a complete thru of the AT I would leave on May 1 with the objective of finishing in August.

Because...

1. I would not have a bunch of cold weather gear (aka much lighter pack).
2. Which would allow me to hike faster.
3. Which would give me a less expensive hike.

Amen, no argument here

Brian3211
01-28-2013, 09:36
1 April start means a rat race for 500 miles, overcrowded shelters, rent sites, hostels and motels....I've been there! But yes, nice time of year to start weather wise
Is that usually when it starts to thin out? Around the 500 mile mark?

Sandy of PA
01-28-2013, 09:58
Trail Days and 2 big hiker feeds kept the bubble together well into VA last year.

Monkeywrench
01-28-2013, 15:49
Is that usually when it starts to thin out? Around the 500 mile mark?

It starts to thin out about the 32 mile mark. I was shocked to see people quitting and going home from Neels Gap.

stefanib123
01-28-2013, 16:03
I really appreciate everyones replies. I run it over and over in my head, but its much nicer to talk about it with people who know.

I'm kinda looking forward to meeting new people. I don't like it all the time, but in spurts its nice. I just wonder what the definition of a crowded shelter is? 5 people, 10, 20, more?

I'm thinking that if a shelter is too crowded I can always hike on a bit and use my tent?

aficion
01-28-2013, 16:06
Amen, no argument here
Thinking mid April to mid May for the same reasons. Leaning towards the end of that range for bubble avoidance. A great ten day forecast would spur me to move it up. Not going for several years though, so rethinking is inevitable.

StylinLP38
01-28-2013, 16:25
Agree'd. After reading AWOL and Odyssa, I do not want to hike those southern mountains in 5 days straight of cold and rain. Leaving in April.

10-K
01-28-2013, 16:49
Another thing to consider is this: All things being equal a later start means a later finish.

This means you'll be getting some more weeks to hike when other people who started earlier and have already finished and are dealing with the depression that comes from finishing.

Maddog
01-28-2013, 16:53
I started in February last year and the cold wasn’t bad until April. I say leave as early as you can and be prepared for anything.

+1...I left in February in 2010! Maddog:D

brian039
01-28-2013, 17:46
I really appreciate everyones replies. I run it over and over in my head, but its much nicer to talk about it with people who know.

I'm kinda looking forward to meeting new people. I don't like it all the time, but in spurts its nice. I just wonder what the definition of a crowded shelter is? 5 people, 10, 20, more?

I'm thinking that if a shelter is too crowded I can always hike on a bit and use my tent?

20-30 people at shelter sites in Georgia and about the same through the Smokies. You can always use your tent. Even when the trail is crowded, it's easy to be by yourself if you want.