PDA

View Full Version : just one meal

david_1
01-25-2013, 18:50
I can eat oats for breakfast for ever... simple easy to get
but as yet I can not find a simple supper I think its going to be couscuos and sasauges but can you suggest better that can be bought while hikeing ????

Thanks David

turtle fast
01-25-2013, 19:03
Macaroni and cheese....to it add any protein....a solid meal.

david_1
01-25-2013, 19:39
yep that sounds good any others ?

thanks

turtle fast
01-25-2013, 19:44
You can also do the same for ramen noodles and add a protein as well. Can also add peanut butter to the mix to make it a Thai cuisine like flavor.
You can do it too with boxes stove top stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, and Knor noodle sides (formerly Lipton noodle sides).

Papa D
01-25-2013, 19:58
Macaroni and cheese....to it add any protein....a solid meal.

that's pretty good (and I make plenty of mac n cheese) but idahoan 4-cheese dehydrated potatoes with tuna require less fuel - just boil water, dump and stir (and add a foil pack of tuna fish) - - you have to boil the macaroni a bit to get it soft which is the only downside to that meal. If you were going to carry one spice, I suggest Spike:

www.spike-it-up.com (http://www.spike-it-up.com)

your favorite hot sauce rounds it out

oceaneire
01-25-2013, 20:15
:confused: Papa D, what is Spike, please? I clicked on your link but my virus protector about had a stroke and didn't want me to go there, so I am left wondering!

topshelf
01-25-2013, 20:20
if you get the microwavable mac and cheese all you gotta do is heat the water and let the noodles soak, no fuel used during soaking. it comes in the cups, just put it in baggies.

JAK
01-25-2013, 20:20
I'm also a diehard oatmeal for breakfast fan.

For supper, if you have weight to lose, a great filling supper is soup made with lentils, dried vegetable mix, parsley and other herbs, and whatever spices you want. Some salt. Great way to rehydrate at end of day and stay warm in the evening. Not so good if you are in a hurry, but for long winter nights who is in a hurry?

Mountain Mike
01-25-2013, 21:08
I was a devout fan of oatmeal every day, just added variety of dried fruits & sweeteners to mix it up. Since developing gout no longer an option.

Dinners I love & never sicken of mac & cheese, Instant taters & add what you want

For easy thai noodle try this. I think I got it from "Cooking the one Burner Way" By Buck Tilton & ??? Great trail cook book.
Sesame Peanut Sauce

½ C Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 C Hot water
2 Tbs vinegar
3 TbsNot Sesame oil
1 ½ tsp soy or tamarie
1 tsp onion flakes
½ tsp crushed red pepper

Boil water add rest & Stir

Serve over pasta or rice of your choice

When I made this we had leftovers & everyone wanted the recipe. I was kinda embarrassed at one of the best things I cooked wasn't really cooking.

Tuckahoe
01-25-2013, 21:16
If I might suggest, one or two go to meals that you can easily resupply with certainly make things easier. However, you will be much happier if you can develop several more rather different meals.

Its one thing to be in a rut at home and eat the same thing over and over. But to get out on the trail with the stresser of hiking every day pushed together with eating the same dang meal(s) day in and day out, is going to be a drain on your spirit and your well being. Food is not just a source of fuel, but a source of comfort as well.

Mountain Mike
01-25-2013, 21:23
If I might suggest, one or two go to meals that you can easily resupply with certainly make things easier. However, you will be much happier if you can develop several more rather different meals.

Its one thing to be in a rut at home and eat the same thing over and over. But to get out on the trail with the stresser of hiking every day pushed together with eating the same dang meal(s) day in and day out, is going to be a drain on your spirit and your well being. Food is not just a source of fuel, but a source of comfort as well.

Definitely!!! I like to mix it up with rewarding meals that may take some time to prepare, ones that are boil & eat & in between ones. All tried before hand.

Mountain Mike
01-25-2013, 21:24
Food, Fellowship, & views are some of the few comforts you have on the trail. A warm tasty meal at the end of a cold miserable day can change things dramatically!

RodentWhisperer
01-25-2013, 23:30
:confused: Papa D, what is Spike, please? I clicked on your link but my virus protector about had a stroke and didn't want me to go there, so I am left wondering!

To the best of my recollection, Spike makes spice/seasoning mixes. I think they have some varieties that are salt-free, herbal, hot n' spicy, etc. Just abound every grocery store I go to that has a spice aisle sells some.

oceaneire
01-26-2013, 00:00
Thank you, RW! I'll check it out.

shelterbuilder
01-26-2013, 06:30
I am also a fan of "reward at the end of the day", and don't mind cooking a little bit. And I agree that variety is a necessity, especially on a long trip. With those thoughts in mind, a "basic" recipe of 2 parts rice, 1 part barley, and 1 part lentils goes a long way! Filling, nutritious, and infinitely variable by adding different dried gravy or sauce mixes and spices. Meat or fish can be added, but are not necessary. I've even made this for breakfast - just add a little butter and some syrup or honey, or maybe some cinnamon and sugar...YUM!

JAK
01-26-2013, 06:41
+ 1 on that. I like buying bulk and then being able to mix and max in different measures. Cheap and light that way also.

JAK
01-26-2013, 06:52
I tend to buy and resupply stuff by the pound, sometimes half pound. So if I need 4 more pounds I will buy 4-8 items where I am out or running low. For a short hike or section less variety but I can still mix and match and spice and herbs differently. For the next section if short it I can buy different stuff, and still have a little variety with whatever might be left over. Shopping is much simpler, quicker, simpler, and lighter when you buy it by the pound. Baking section and bulk section for most stuff. Herbs like Parsely are full of iron, calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Paprika is another good one. Chives also. Not so strong so you can eat more of it, and they hold their own in calories and protien also. Spices line cardomom, cloves, ginger, anise, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, are all good added to tea (chai), oats, and some in soup also. You buy these in smaller quantities but one per resupply makes it possible to have variety.

russb
01-26-2013, 07:41
If you do use mac and cheese, there is no reason you must simmer and strain. The following is both a time and fuel saver.

Using just under 2 cups of water, put the cold water and mac in the pot and bring to a boil (stirring occasionally then kill the heat, let it sit covered for about 7 minutes. Add oil, cheese, etc... After a while of using this technique you will get better at knowing the amount of water, time, amount of stirring etc...

JAK
01-26-2013, 08:48
Nice thing about lentil and vegetable soup at night is you can cook it at a simmer, and vegetable oil in a tealight burner with jute twine for a wick makes a nice slow simmering heat that will save your alcohol fuel for quick boils. You can still start by boiling water and make a hot drink and start of your soup, and then simmer from there. Makes a nice light also. Once your soup is done you can simmer your tea by lamp light. Canola oil is cheapest and burns very well.

JAK
01-26-2013, 08:56
I use Rock's Ion Stove as my slow vegetable oil burner, without the lid and with jute twine for wicks, with the lid when I just want a lamp or a slower simmer, and with my first aid 95% ethyl alcohol when in a hurry or towards the end of my trip to use it up. Also wood when I can, but I leave the Kelly Kettle home when I want to tinker with alcohol, canola oil, and small wood burners. I like Zelph's latest titanium windscreen / wood burner.

JAK
01-26-2013, 09:05
Nice winter breakfast:

Buy a pound of bacon and repackage it into 4 bags, chopped up. It'll keep in winter. You need 2 metal mugs/pots for this. Fry up a 1/4 pound of bacon in one of your metal mug/pots. Once you have driven off enough water you can pour the bacon grease off into your other mug/pots where you have already added dry oats, seeds, nuts. Stir it up and that will become your granola for later, adding dried fruit and stuff, and more dried oats if required. To your bacon you can add some eggs if you find a way to carry them, or some of the granola, or more bacon lol.

lukabrazi
01-28-2013, 11:05
In the past I have cooked macaroni then put it in the dehydrator. It's precooked so you can just pour hot water into the freezer bag with it and soften it up and add the cheese powder which i premix with some milk powder. Definitely saves fuel.

Odd Man Out
01-28-2013, 15:00
curried rice and lentils. Unlike other legumes, lentils cook pretty quickly. Can be done with FBC methods. Might be a little crunchy, but that's OK with me. Basmati rice cooks faster than regular rice (again might be a little al-dente if not boiling). Better than Minute Rice.

Grampie
01-28-2013, 15:48
Simple supper...Lipton or Knorr sides. About 20 different ones to choose from. Add what ever you want. Ramps down south. Tuna, sausage or anything else. On sale you can buy them for $1.00 each. Cost more in trail towns.

Camel2012
01-28-2013, 16:03
I don't do it often, but on occasion i like to do instant potatoes and country gravy. Just boil the amount of water for both, and mix the gravy in my cup and pour it over the potatoes.

aficion
01-28-2013, 16:34
Just loaded up on Knorr Sides. 700+ calories for 80 cents on sale. Add sardines, smoked oysters, tuna , chicken, peperoni, ham, salmon, turkey, beef, whatever. Ramen same thing, only cheaper. Instant potatoes, same way. Grits too, seriously. Don't need one thing. Mix it up.