PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mtn shelters

cascader
06-06-2005, 20:44
Two small, twin shelters with a picnic table in between. This spot is deceptive--you hike down a ways from the Trail, hear a noisy highway (where the springs are), think it will be noisy at night. But the traffic thins out almost to nothing by 6 pm. (My experience same as many described in shelter register). I ended up liking this shelter--tho' on a Sat. night it might be too accessible to locals--BUT I saw no evidence of this in register or in form of grafitti, etc.

Sly
06-06-2005, 21:13
I used to hang out in "the Ville" in my younger years, lots of good times. I know they tore down Brigham's but is Austin's still there, Bunny and Gabe?

Mini-Mosey
06-08-2005, 19:28
Shared one of these shelters with a guy named Chaplain Frank who was hiking southbound-to Damascus, I believe. Wonderful fellow. This was about 5 years ago. Those were the days when I got out about once a month.

Mini-Mosey
06-08-2005, 19:30
I do remember the spring was quite a walk downhill from the shelters....and right by a road. Still, it was a pleasant stay.

Crash
03-12-2006, 16:12
Used to be called Jim Thorpe shelter.
Why'd they change the name?

firecracker1
01-05-2007, 20:50
I won't lie... not a big fan of this shelter. Steep/ long hike to water is forgivable, but listening to traffic at night is not.

Undershaft
06-25-2007, 15:57
I'm not a big fan of this shelter either. The water isn't that far downhill, but it is kinda scuzzy. This was also the buggiest shelter I ever stayed at. Thousands of small biting flies filled the air for several acres around the shelter when I was there a month ago. The noise from the road wasn't bad at all the night I was there.

Mishigami Manitou
07-05-2007, 15:08
What a worthless trudge! My son says: "Let's stop at Rocky Mountain Shelter for lunch! We need water anyway." After a tiresome trip halfway down the mountain, we found the shelter. The water was the other half way down the mountain. The temp that day was hovering around 100 F. I think we used all of the water we got just getting back to the trail. In honor of this, I dedicated the following climb out of Caledonia to my son - it wasn't much, but he's only 12. Drag ME down half the mountain for a stupid lunch! Next time, I listen to the little man inside. You've got to trust the little man.

wpbucher
04-22-2008, 13:12
Stayed on April 19, 2008. Nice shelters. Nice tent sites down mountain toward spring. Trail to spring not too bad. Trail to spring for Peter's Mountain and Ed Garvey are much worse. One of the shelters is being eaten by wood boring bumble bees. I swatted a few and stuffed the hole with small sticks. Then thought DUH!!!...so shoved many small rocks in. That should slow them down...but not a solution.

hiker1025
02-25-2010, 16:24
My dad and shared it with a pair of southbounders,

a boyfriend girlfriend and child were in the other, They built a ridiculously huge fire and drank and smoked all night long as the night progressed he became abusive with language and physically, A sleepless night, good water source, just stay away on weekends.

Wilbo
03-29-2016, 09:26
Stopped here for lunch on 3-27-16 and the place was spotless. Could hear the traffic on the road. I didn't go down to the spring.

jimtabor
12-02-2016, 16:25
Everyone complaines about the walk down, I have tried the last 4 years to get the club to move the shelters up to the trail. But when it takes 6 months to get a picnic table that your employer paid for..... the idea of moving the shelters Is way down on the list. I have worked hard to make it a nice place stay but I can't do anything about the road noise. Or the walk to the spring. There's no flowers or swings or covered eating area but it's clean.

jimtabor
12-02-2016, 16:27
My dad and shared it with a pair of southbounders,

a boyfriend girlfriend and child were in the other, They built a ridiculously huge fire and drank and smoked all night long as the night progressed he became abusive with language and physically, A sleepless night, good water source, just stay away on weekends.

i meet that group several times , they were encouraged to move on and have never returned