PDA

View Full Version : REI Trekking poles

evan_rolltide
01-25-2013, 22:58
I've been reading a lot about trekking poles lately as the tents I have been looking at seem to use trekking poles as supports. I haven't used trekking poles so I don't really want to spend a lot on them, and REI seems to have pretty affordable poles. Any experience with these?

(Looking at the SMS Skyscape Trekker).

Thanks,
Evan

Lyle
01-25-2013, 23:08
The first pair of poles I had were REI. They were actually Komperdell poles. Not sure if that is still the case. Looks like Sierra Trading Post has Komperdells on sale at around 35-40% off right now. I'd check them out.

If you aren't familiar with Sierra Trading Post, they are a reputable company. Been around for decades. Often deal in overstocks, and sometimes seconds. They tell you when they are seconds, though.

Now my poles of choice are PacerPoles. They are unique, and I find them much more comfortable to use all day. They are more expensive though.

G-FOURce
01-26-2013, 02:40
http://www.campsaver.com/outlet/wild-rambler-trekking-poles

I have these and I like em.

Another Kevin
01-26-2013, 12:48
REI's house brand is still made by Komperdell. I have a pair of Traverse Powerlight Cork. I got the ones without shock absorbers. I don't feel safe walking on hard snow and ice with the shock absorbing ones, and they're heavy. I didn't spring for carbon fiber, and I suspect that if I had, I'd have broken a pole by now; I've taken a couple of spills arse-over-teakettle while using the aluminium ones.

The REI poles are not as light as some, but not as fragile as some, either. They're great for the price, and it's hard to beat REI's service.

I cant speak to durability, since I'm a clueless weekender. I've probably got only 150-200 miles on mine.