PDA

View Full Version : My gear list

polechar
01-26-2013, 13:14
Here is my gear list for summer http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11280 My cold weather set up adds about 4 pounds.
The list does not include shoes, poles, and a set of clothes I will be wearing (socks, boxers, shorts, short sleeve shirt).
I like having extra clothes so I can always have a clean set (I do laundry in a 4oz 10L shower bag).
I was planning for 2014 start but I just got refinanced at 2.75% so I'm saving so much money I can do it this year!
I'm planning on an early March start. CAN'T WAIT!

RodentWhisperer
01-26-2013, 13:19
+1 on doing laundry on the trail. I've done the same myself, in a gallon Ziploc bag with a few drops of Dr. Bronner's. During a sunny day in CO's mountains, I've found my laundry can be dry only an hour after leaving the bag!

Hosaphone
01-26-2013, 13:47
Ospray Atmos 65 - save 1.5 pounds with a ULA pack

ems rain pants - save ~6oz with driducks pants, then ship home once warm weather comes

Your cooking stuff is a bit crazy. 3 esbit tablets, a wood stove AND a canister stove+fuel? If you already own these things, I suppose there's no harm in starting out the trail with them, figuring out what you like, and shipping stuff home as necessary. If you are still planning and haven't purchased stuff yet, I'd give some extra thought towards refining this area a bit. Depending on your hiking style, this stuff could be a nice luxury or just extra weight.

Ditch footprint for the tent? You can make that call on the trail as to whether it's worth the weight savings.

Seems a bit goofy to be taking an 8.5x11 tarp AND a tent? HYOH though, they both have nice advantages. You can always ship something home.

Replace flashlight with headlamp.

All in all it's not too bad I think. There are a number of places where you can save a lot of weight. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the pack which is ~1.5 pounds heavier than packs from ULA/Gossamer Gear/etc. Everything else you'll be able to figure out for yourself and refine as you go.

polechar
01-26-2013, 14:26
I hear you on the weight savings, However I enjoy the camping part as much as the hiking part, I also like cooking a lot at camp so that's why I have a lot of cooking gear. I actually forgot to add 3 oz for a pan I use. I also drink a lot of coffee and tea so I like having the jet boil.
I also have a dog so I'm not staying at shelters, so I like having a large tarp.
I do have driduck pants I might switch out.
My flash light is a headlamp, I wrote it down wrong.
Also, I don't think I could fit into a smaller pack and still have room for the food I carry. I have a ems Long Trail 70L I was thinking of using for the extra room.
I through hiked the Long Trail last year with about 10 more pounds to my base weight and I had no problem. After a 1000 miles or so maybe I'll change my mind.
Thanks for the input guys.

polechar
01-28-2013, 12:39
Here is my updated list http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11280
Thanks Hosaphone, I decided to ditch the jetboil for the summer and the footprint and I saved a half pound with the dri-duck pants.

Bucho
01-31-2013, 11:05
I started march 10th 2011, I don't know how warm the Zpacks 30* quilt actually is but I can assure you that the temperatures will get below 30 degrees. I'd make sure to have a sleep system that's at least comfortable at 20 degrees.

tds1195
01-31-2013, 12:11
Looks like a great list for me! 18lbs isn't bad at all! I don't think you need to upgrade your pack or anything, either (unless dropping another load of cash is worth shaving a bit of weight).

polechar
01-31-2013, 14:42
Bucho, when I start I'll have my cold weather set up. It does not include a different bag but I sleep in super merino wool top and bottoms and a light weight down jacket and pants. Also I ordered the quilt with a full zipper so its like a bag (I really like it), I tried this set up here in VT a few weeks ago, It got down to 15 degrees and I didn't get cold.
Thanks again for the replies!

Bucho
02-01-2013, 01:15
Cool, sounds like you're ok there then....wait a sec where those super merino wool top and bottoms on your list? You could save weight by switching to a summer bag a little bit after trail days. At that point you won't need much, my summer bag was only comfortable down to maybe 55 degrees and it was too hot on many nights. There was a girl who just had a Spiderman fleece blanket she picked up at goodwill. You could very likely save weight by deciding what you need for a backpack after you've finalized and gotten everything else. Make the dog carry his own pad. You also have extra weight tied up in nick-knacks, for instance do you really need 2 stoves or a pan or a battery pack or 12oz of hygiene stuff and so on. You can also loose weight in clothing, you don't actually need 2 pairs of pants in your backpack. Save 12.5oz by ditching the zip leg pants/shorts, just wear your rain/wind pants when you want pants. Do you really need an extra long and short sleeve Techwick shirts sitting in your pack, consider ditching one...or both.