PDA

View Full Version : Uses for trekking poles.

Stir Fry
01-26-2013, 13:52
Ok does anyone have other uses for there trekking poles. I made the grips removable and put a plug 18” inside the poles. Now use them for the following.

trekking poles
Storage for my sewing kit on one.
The other one holds repair kit and Ibuprofen, holds arround 50 easy.
A mono pod for my camera.
Tent poles for my Tarp.
Store Duck tape around the pole.

I would be interested in seeing if any one has other ideas.

Blissful
01-26-2013, 13:53
Alert animals of your presence. :)

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2013, 13:57
Protect your food in your tent, i.e. poke a bear's eye out.

Pingus
01-26-2013, 13:57
I use them for snowshoeing and holding up my custom sewn tent, as well as hiking.

Lyle
01-26-2013, 13:58
Lean pack against for back rest
Clear the trail of spider webs in the morning
probe for snakes
push wet brush aside after a rain
shake overhead branches to knock water off before you pass under
weapon against aggressive dogs
make you look bigger when confronting a bear
clothes drying rod
retrieving water bottles from ponds
lash cup to end - dip water from down a steep bank

That's just off the top of my head - all personally used or observed others using in this manner.

Pingus
01-26-2013, 14:05
Good list Lyle. I've used mine for all those except water dipping.

Magic_Rat
01-26-2013, 14:12
Does anyone use one of their poles as the "stick" for the PCT method of bear bagging? It seems that I haven't really heard of people doing this, but it seems pretty useful versus taking something else or hunting a stick down at each site.

Another Kevin
01-26-2013, 16:58
Does anyone use one of their poles as the "stick" for the PCT method of bear bagging? It seems that I haven't really heard of people doing this, but it seems pretty useful versus taking something else or hunting a stick down at each site.

:confused: I don't think I've ever hung a bearbag where I couldn't find a stick! Where do you have trees without fallen sticks about?

I suppose if it ever were a problem, I'd use a pencil, or the tent pole splint in my repair kit, or, really, almost anything that I can tie into the line but that won't pass through the 'biner.

BigHodag
01-27-2013, 00:55
Two additional uses are:

Monopod - Some hikers have modified their handgrips to add a recessed nut in order to use the pole as a monopod.

http://lightpack.blogspot.com/2012/01/simple-trekking-pole-monopod.html

Tracking stick - My preferred extra use is as a tracking stick for mantracking / SAR. The addition of two rubber bands enables the measurement and fixing of boot length and stride length. I originally used an ski pole from a thrift store back in the early 80s. With collapsible trekking poles one has to be careful and consistently adjust the sections to precise lengths.

http://www.squidoo.com/man-tracking-find-follow-tracks

Bosman
01-27-2013, 19:05
Two additional uses are:

Monopod - Some hikers have modified their handgrips to add a recessed nut in order to use the pole as a monopod.

http://lightpack.blogspot.com/2012/01/simple-trekking-pole-monopod.html

Tracking stick - My preferred extra use is as a tracking stick for mantracking / SAR. The addition of two rubber bands enables the measurement and fixing of boot length and stride length. I originally used an ski pole from a thrift store back in the early 80s. With collapsible trekking poles one has to be careful and consistently adjust the sections to precise lengths.

http://www.squidoo.com/man-tracking-find-follow-tracks

Awesome use with simple rubber band! Thanks for sharing, no need for the trekking poles with a mount.

Bosman
01-27-2013, 20:53
I am planning to try shock cord for mounting my camera or iphone since i have some.

88BlueGT
01-28-2013, 11:29
:confused: I don't think I've ever hung a bearbag where I couldn't find a stick! Where do you have trees without fallen sticks about?

I suppose if it ever were a problem, I'd use a pencil, or the tent pole splint in my repair kit, or, really, almost anything that I can tie into the line but that won't pass through the 'biner.

Can someone elaborate on this? I am unfamiliar with this method...

I'm an old school, tie one end to a rock, toss it over, pull it up and tie it off kind of guy :)

Stir Fry
01-28-2013, 12:00
Its sometimes refered to as a counter balance methoid. Use two food bags about the same weight tie off one bag and pull it up to the limb. then reaching as high as you can tie off second bag. Then you push the second bag up so that two bags ar now out of reach. leave a small ine handing down that you can grab to retreave bags in to AM.

Odd Man Out
01-28-2013, 14:40
Can someone elaborate on this? I am unfamiliar with this method...

I'm an old school, tie one end to a rock, toss it over, pull it up and tie it off kind of guy :)

PCT Method is the Pacific Crest Trail method of bear bagging. The problem of tying the end of your rope off is that bears eventually learn to get at your food by going after the tied off end of the rope. With the PCT method, there is nothing that reaches the ground, and unlike the counter balance method, only one bag is necessary. You do need stick, but it's not like they are in short supply on the AT.

Google PCT method. You'll find lots of examples. Here is one random hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

MyName1sMud
01-28-2013, 14:47
the poles on the glass of my Jeep are starting to go out so I use one of my trekking poles to hold the glass up when i'm trying to get things out of the back.