PDA

View Full Version : REI Passage 1?

Tree Nerd
01-26-2013, 17:19
What do you guys think about this tent? Its not the lightest thing, but you cant beat it for the price. I have heard good things from reading reviews, but I wanted to talk to someone who has it. If you think there is something else out there that is better for the price, please let me know. I am not looking for bivy or hammock set up (I already have them), strictly a solo tent right now.

Thanks,
Luke

Tree Nerd
01-27-2013, 13:06
A friend pointed me toward the Seirra Designs Lightyear 1. Its 11oz. lighter than the passage and there are a lot of good reviews on it and it appears really easy to set up but its more expensive and its not free standing. Any opinions on either of them?

Camel2012
01-27-2013, 13:47
I can only comment on what i have used. I went for a cheap priced tent last year too. I started with a eureka spitfire that is the same price as the passage and about 5 oz lighter.

It isn't free standing, but is a fast setup and only takes 2 stakes for tent and 2 for the fly unless the weather is bad. I was also 6'2" and 250 lbs while using it, and had room for me and my gear. I used it to hot springs and then switched to a hammock for comfort, but gave the tent to a friend who carried it to katahdin.

Personally, if you have time, i would keep an eye on the for sale forum. You can find some great tents like new at great discounts. I just bought a lightheart solo for $180, and think there may be a TT for sale now too.

The passage would work, but i really think for $20-50 more, you could get a much better and lighter tent. Good luck.

Tree Nerd
01-27-2013, 15:20
Ill look into it.

Wise Old Owl
01-27-2013, 15:50
looks like if you are over 6 foot - there may be issues.
http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent

This tent is 4 lbs 1 person.... It's a deal breaker for me.

Tree Nerd
01-27-2013, 16:53
looks like if you are over 6 foot - there may be issues.
http://www.rei.com/product/827809/rei-passage-1-tent

This tent is 4 lbs 1 person.... It's a deal breaker for me.

I have heard mixed signals about the 6' issue but I am not 6' so that wouldnt be a problem for me. Also, I know its not the lightest thing, but it is free standing and thats a necessity for me.

Alligator
01-27-2013, 17:48
I bought one of these last summer. On a still, cool summer morning I think it was high forties, the pole just snapped on its own. No one was in it nor was anyone touching it. Fortunately, they provide a repair sleeve. Never had anything like that happen with a tent. I sent it back for a refund.

Namtrag
01-27-2013, 19:00
We got the Marmot Aspen at Dicks for $129. Not bad for a cheap tent

Tree Nerd
01-27-2013, 20:40
I got an offer for a six mood designs lunar solo tent.....after looking into this tent and similar tents I am leaning toward this deal

Tree Nerd
01-28-2013, 15:45
I have decided to go with the Six Moon Designs Lunar SOLO. I got a good deal on it, it has been seam sealed, and its lite.

foreversuperawesome
02-03-2013, 21:18
I had one for awhile and the price was very good. REI is a great company so you can return anything if it doesnt work out for you. THe reason why I returned it, was that it was too heavy and I wanted to go with a lighter weight tent. It was roomy, and sturdy. I'd recommend it.