PDA

View Full Version : Which camp shoe and why?

msumax1985
01-26-2013, 17:23
I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Crocs (13oz) or flip flops (5oz)?

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!

tarantolk
01-26-2013, 17:42
I'll be bringing my crocs, which I will also use to cross water. It's all personal preference, I believe.

surfnturk
01-26-2013, 17:43
I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!

I wear flip flops with socks around the house every day and thata what I take hiking. Dont know if your originally from Jax but I used to run a surf shop in Neptune Beach,(Hixons) and used to sell sock made for flip flops. Now I just fit the flops on with regular socks. Comfortable after you get used to it.

Camel2012
01-26-2013, 18:02
Last year i used the timberland trail radler camp mocs. They are about the same weight as crocs, but store much smaller and easier. Worked well for me in camp and town.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-2012-timberland-radler-trail-camp-moc-shoe/gear/16497

brian039
01-26-2013, 18:08
I wore trail runners and they were comfortable enough for camp.

polechar
01-26-2013, 18:32
These are pretty nice, they are comfortable and very light. http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-white-blue?zfcTest=mat%3A1
mine weigh 3.8oz each

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 21:00
These are pretty nice, they are comfortable and very light. http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-white-blue?zfcTest=mat%3A1
mine weigh 3.8oz each
ive got these too. weightless and they protect your feet.

leaftye
01-26-2013, 21:01

Neither. I'll explain.

I rule out Crocs, mostly because I haven't tried them. The bulk deters me from placing an order. I like a compact and tidy pack.

Flip flops are supremely compact, especially when they pull double duty. As you said though, they don't work well with socks.

Since I want the option to wear socks, and want to avoid putting something in between my toes when I've had blisters there before, I opted for slides. The bulk, weight and price is somewhere between flip flops and Crocs.

I haven't noticed the cold much. The last time I used them was around snow at 8000 feet. I think it's because there's less air flow right at ground level, and less constriction means there's more blood to flow around and keep the feet warm. Also, the thick sole of the slides does a good job of providing insulation from the ground. I didn't do any hiking in them, but I walked around camp a lot. On one winter trip in the desert (Joshua Tree), I camped 1/8th mile from the group and walked between the group camp and my camp many times throughout the day for a few days.

Seabird
01-26-2013, 21:05
Does anybody just go barefoot/wear socks in camp? That's what I've always done, but I haven't seen anybody else mention it and I don't have a ton of experience... I there some reason or risk in doing this that I'm not aware of, or do people just find it more comfortable to have something on their feet?

evansprater
01-26-2013, 21:17
@Seabird: yeah I did that, my socks were often sweaty though and held on to the dirt and leaves more because of that.

I like leafteye's idea the best. After flip flops, then crocs, then some cheap slippers, I finally fell in love with slip on sandals. They were the ****. Highly recommend.

Another Kevin
01-26-2013, 22:44
Hmm. "It depends."

If I'm lightweight and not expecting brutal terrain - no camp shoes. Trail runners are comfortable enough. Ditto if I'm expecting to end the day just getting directly into my sleeping bag. I can pull my trail runners or boots back on for a call of nature.

If I'm carrying a heavy pack, expect lots of rocks, and may have to wade at stream crossings, then neoprene kayak shoes are what I use. They have a great grip for stream crossings, and I've used them to ford fresh snowmelt without screaming when my feet hit the water. And they're easy to pull on for knocking around the camp site. They're a bit heavy at 11 oz, but that's competitive with Crocs.

The things that HikerBoy posted the link to look interesting. Although I look at them, think of that snowmelt, and shiver.

The sandals I have are too heavy to tote on the trail.

surfnturk
01-27-2013, 00:03
I still say flip flops work great with socks if you get used to it.Course I've worn flip flops my whole life. Like I said, I wear them almost daily in the winter with socks. You just have to get used to it. Slip ons feel like there going to come off all the time to me. Crocks just look stupid.Cant bring myself to even consider them. I've never known anybody from the south (originally) who wear crocs or leather sandals. Dont know why , just the way it is.

Maddoxsjohnston
01-27-2013, 00:42
barefoot if not cold and not wet, designated pair of wool socks if cold and not wet, and my trailrunners unlaced and loose if cold and wet

etboy
01-27-2013, 00:55
Haven't done it myself, but Injinji socks would work fine with flip flops. Would also help you Leaftye with the blisters on the insides of your toes.

leaftye
01-27-2013, 01:01
Haven't done it myself, but Injinji socks would work fine with flip flops. Would also help you Leaftye with the blisters on the insides of your toes.

Thanks, but that wouldn't help with the blisters I'm prone to getting. Mine start under the ball of my foot and eventually migrate to the front, which would then be unpleasant in flip flops.

Lyle
01-27-2013, 01:14
Dollar General Crock knock-offs. Mine have been very durable. I find them more comfortable than real Crocks - have less pronounced knubs on the inner sole. I found the actual Crocks hurt my feet without socks on. Plus the knock-offs are substantially lighter.

Lyle
01-27-2013, 01:19
Too much trash around the shelters to go barefoot. Broken glass, nails, sharp metal pieces. Your feet are your locomotion. Protect them.

I've hiked with folks who had glass cuts on the bottom of their feet from dancing barefoot at a bar in Silverton. Crossing the Continental Divide on 100 miles of the CDT in Colorado wasn't pleasant for this hiker.

Northern Lights
01-27-2013, 02:10
I wear crocs for comfort. I have seen many flip flops left behind at shelters. You could wear flip flops with socks just get the toe socks.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2013, 02:28
No camp shoes necessary for me using trail runners.

The only time I want something else is for getting up during night to pee. Takes too long to put on shoes, etc. UL thin MYOG sandal works for that.

moytoy
01-27-2013, 07:37
I had never used camp shoes until I found a clearance sale on NB Minimus Zero Trail runners. I bought them for $40 and have done a little hiking in them. Mostly now I think I will use them for camp and water crossing shoes. They are 4.3 oz each.

treesloth
01-27-2013, 08:37
Some people have posted some consideration-worthy replies on this post. Like Moytoy above, I also have considered the NB Minimus.

I'm going to use my Vivobarefoot Ultras for my AT section this year when I go to Pa. Looking forward to trying them out for camp and possible water crossings. When I was up there last year, I used Old Navy flip-flops with a pair on Injinjis for camp as I didn't have to do any fords. Worked good enough, as we've already covered regular socks with flops. It's a bit of a PITA.

For my FT hike through the Ocala Forest this coming weekend, I'm going to use same flip-flops with some Smartwool toe socks (similar to the Injinjis but heavier for the cooler weather) that I picked up.

Theosus
01-27-2013, 10:14
I just stay in my day shoes until I'm done hiking, then take them off and go barefoot. Of course I'm not walking on snow... I'd probably just leave the shoes on until bedtime.

rusty bumper
01-27-2013, 10:29
I wear low-cut Merrell Moabs on the trail. In camp I loosen the laces and they become my camp shoes.

colorado_rob
01-27-2013, 10:33
I used to carry croc knock-offs, bought them at some discount shoe store, mens size 10 that weigh only 10 ounces, 20 bucks. If you go w/ "crocs", shup around and you might save a few ounces over real "crocs". as others have said, I graduated to no camp shoes at all, I just loosen my laces and take out my foot beds and my merrells are plenty comfy for around camp.

fredmugs
01-27-2013, 10:41
I usually go with crocs because they are better to ford rocky, swiftly moving currents. The first time I hiked in Maine I took flip flops and when I raised my leg the current took one of them completely down the river.

4Bears
01-27-2013, 19:01
On a long hike I like my Adidas slides, they weigh about the same as flip flops, with no discomfort if wearing socks. Wearing them then allows more time for my trail shoes to dry out and my feet to air out while protecting the bottom of them. They pack up compact as well.

1azarus
01-27-2013, 19:32
No camp shoes necessary for me using trail runners.

The only time I want something else is for getting up during night to pee. Takes too long to put on shoes, etc. UL thin MYOG sandal works for that.

I agree completely. Rather than myog sandals I use low neoprene socks. Way less than 3 ounces a pair. Goes over socks if I want... Even works for a pee trip in light snow. Other than pee trips and getting in and out of my hammock I don't use them.

BigRing
01-27-2013, 21:48
I cannot wear crocss for any extended period of time, because my feet are a little on the wide side. Try some of the shoe discount stores for inexpensive and lightweight sandles. I found a pair of generic lightweight watershoes at Shoe Rack and they are great.....wish I had purchased two pair.

Tim Causa
01-27-2013, 23:58
I used to use crocks, and even cut them down to save a few ounces. I found that there wasn't enough air movement to really let my feet dry out in them. I switched to flipflops, and it was much better. Plus, if my feet were soggy and dry dirt got into crocks, it would be abrasive against my feet.

I don't use any camp shoes right now, I simply look forward to loosening my boots.

swjohnsey
01-28-2013, 00:30
There is a link somewhere on here for a DIY flipflop that weighs in at about an ounce.

Drybones
01-28-2013, 13:44
Now that I've wasted money buying 5 pairs of camp shoes searching for the lightest ones, I now hike in trail runners and dont carry camp shoes. I'm going to have a massive gear sale one day and sell all my mistakes to someone else.

Kerosene
01-28-2013, 14:36
I typically use slip-on sandals at 7 oz. for a size 10 men's. Not as comfy as Crocs, but a lot less bulky.

jeffmeh
01-28-2013, 15:16
I have the Vivo Ultra Pures, size 10.5-11, and they weigh 8.4 oz. for the pair. I have worn them quite a bit, and I am happy with them. The sole is extremely thin relative to crocs, but watching where one steps is never a bad idea anyway. I did feel it when I crossed a median in Nebraska that turned out to be a mowed area of thorn-bushes, but the soles did limit the penetration into my feet, so no damage.

msupple
01-28-2013, 17:25
I have the Vivo Ultra Pures, size 10.5-11, and they weigh 8.4 oz. for the pair. I have worn them quite a bit, and I am happy with them. The sole is extremely thin relative to crocs, but watching where one steps is never a bad idea anyway. I did feel it when I crossed a median in Nebraska that turned out to be a mowed area of thorn-bushes, but the soles did limit the penetration into my feet, so no damage.

I found the soles a little thin so I put in some really light inserts which helped quite a bit. I also took out the tongues on the Vivo's so the inserts added almost no extra weight. Well worth it in my opinion but certainly not necessary.

Cat in the Hat

jeffmeh
01-28-2013, 19:56
I found the soles a little thin so I put in some really light inserts which helped quite a bit. I also took out the tongues on the Vivo's so the inserts added almost no extra weight. Well worth it in my opinion but certainly not necessary.

Cat in the Hat

Interesting. What inserts did you use?

mtnkngxt
01-29-2013, 08:25
My Montrail Mountain Masochists are light and dry quickly. I loosen my laces and wear them around camp.

JAK
01-29-2013, 08:33
I say something you make yourself, when in camp, because it will have more character, it can't be that difficult, and if you make it yourself on the trail, you can maintain it yourself on the trail. Use old trail runner parts or other broken gear parts or something like that, and your repair kit. Hours of entertainment. Be creative.

rocketsocks
01-29-2013, 08:39
Interesting. What inserts did you use?I cut a pair of inserts for my climbing shoes, I used thin foarm that is made for crafts, all different colors dollar store, 4 or 5 pieces for a buck, multi-color, about a 1/6 of and inch thick, worked pretty good....but won't last long hiking.

Just had a thought, you could laminate this same foam to a piece of acetate w/ contact spray, and it may hold up better.

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2013, 09:27

Thanks again!

Skip the croc, and if you look around there are Teva's and sandals that will accept hiking socks. - Or have a mom darn a big toe jamb on those socks.... Make her happy to do something you can't.:banana

Or buy these.....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/qTA6IQisTJDXucyGoeDo0HzkmRJhnx1suK-YdGHW6ASY4-v3uxLGy1kMbCmdVZ97mUjhs-E-OiH0VD81-EY-MzwbIMcks2v_q7P-pqgZf03bCbB7DCvD_dF0G9BrwvHk3S6WatObeitud25o1bk2EB ERykbvKsFS1m2WfmBkpmkHBIG27Q=s220-cToe Sock- NuWool Foresthttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/khGAP7TbrGUwdGAI0P0R5yQ8yOD8T36Jz6UDmgUrPncikQqGzv YP3snv_9sqqCDJITXKJJ13DPxA--VDat-z_CKjVUeTryf2OzUF_VSVTIpb6BHsFNqb_o7W28izfFYaezsWG HrpQU0volDAV2eoi9wgWItvyx-_JrsZpvst_1dQ6q4GoRYLKlr5ER5CwddfEnk=s220-cNIKE Men's Jordan Hydro 2 Slides

TurboPants
01-29-2013, 13:17
I'm in the skeptic camp of going w/out camp shoes. Seems to me the first month it's chilly after 6PM. I've seen how filthy shelters are and I don't want to be barefoot. I've no done much hiking on the AT but the little I have tells me there are plenty of critters and snakes roaming around so if it's dark I want my feet covered.

For those who wear your hiking shoes in camp, do your shoes dry out by morning if they get wet? I realize sometimes you HAVE to march in wet shoes that will eventually dry out. But my thinking was camp shoes allow you extra time to dry out wet trail runners when its cold. But maybe shoes dry out by morning regardless? I'm ignorant due to lack of doing it.

Drybones
01-29-2013, 16:58
I'm in the skeptic camp of going w/out camp shoes. Seems to me the first month it's chilly after 6PM. I've seen how filthy shelters are and I don't want to be barefoot. .

I recall a pretty young lady at one of the shelters wearing a down jacket and barefooted, mud oozzing between her toes, didn't seem to bothet her at all though, obviously not a city girl.

Josh Calhoun
01-29-2013, 17:09
in cold weather i just use my trail runners. in summertime i run around barefoot and let my feet get some air

Rasty
01-29-2013, 17:12

Thanks again!

Try walking uphill for 30' with flip flops. I go barefoot instead.

Cozy
01-29-2013, 17:27

Thanks again!

I recommend Under Armour's Men's Locker II Slide. They are actually unisex (both women's and men's sizes are printed on the bottom)...

A men's 7/Women's 8 is only 6 oz. You can wear socks with them and they make a great shower shoe. The holes in the bottom drains water off but if you walk in them outdoors, no dirt comes up those holes. Pretty nice, lightweight, and comfortable. I just ordered 2 more pair. Here's the link:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16996286&cp=4406646.4413987.13158288.13186025

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/1238676/pid1238676-001

Magic_Rat
01-29-2013, 18:07
On a long hike I like my Adidas slides, they weigh about the same as flip flops, with no discomfort if wearing socks. Wearing them then allows more time for my trail shoes to dry out and my feet to air out while protecting the bottom of them. They pack up compact as well.

Love this idea. I was planning on picking up some knock-off Crocs for my thru this summer, but these will weigh less and pack better. Nice!

Spit Walker
01-29-2013, 19:24
Luna Sandals. You can also hike in them. Gives you two options for your feet ( 3 if you can go barefoot too).

leaftye
01-29-2013, 20:42
One other option is Xero Shoes, formally named Invisible Shoes. They are huaraches. They are light, thin and the straps mean you won't lose one in water crossings. They are open like flip flops and slides, so should be just as nice for showering.

Downsides: Strap between the toes and even trail hardened feet may not be ready to do any significant hiking in these. They'll be especially uncomfortable if the attachment under the toes isn't made very flat.

Prime Time
01-29-2013, 23:53
I use Altra Adams. 9 ounces for the pair and they are rugged enough to hike in in a pinch (they are actually a minimalist zero drop running shoe). They dry fast and are so comfortable, that I wear them around the house all day and hate to take them off. Currently on sale on line for $49!

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 01:23
Now that I've wasted money buying 5 pairs of camp shoes searching for the lightest ones, I now hike in trail runners and dont carry camp shoes. I'm going to have a massive gear sale one day and sell all my mistakes to someone else.

What is your shoe size? I am not done making mistakes yet.

leaftye
01-30-2013, 02:02
That's the problem with camp shoes. We try to find the solution we've already found. I'd bet most of us have used flip flops or slides a lot at home, at the beach and even while car camping. Some of us probably wore them to school, out shopping and at work. It works great there, so why do we try so hard to ignore them when looking for camp shoes?

aaronthebugbuffet
01-30-2013, 03:16
I've never used camp shoes.
If I'm up and about I just use my hiking shoes.

msumax1985
02-02-2013, 07:27
Thanks for all the responses. Here's what I decided to go with:

1) I removed the insoles of my trail runners, removed my socks, loosened the laces, and they are very comfortable. Almost feels like wearing crocs. This option will depend on how wet my shoes are, how much air my feet need. Zero added cost and zero added weight.

2) Flip flops. I never actually tried them with socks before, just assumed you couldn't. But tried the suggestion above and it actually works! I just pull my socks down a little, leaving extra fabric past my toes, and the flops work great. Zero added cost as it's an old $2 pair I've had around the house for years, and only 5 oz added weight. And if I find option 1 above becomes preferred, I can always just ditch the flops and save the 5 oz.

LDog
02-26-2013, 20:43
One other option is Xero Shoes, formally named Invisible Shoes. They are huaraches. They are light, thin and the straps mean you won't lose one in water crossings. They are open like flip flops and slides, so should be just as nice for showering.

I have a pair of Vivobarefeet. They're light but bulky enough that I strapped em to the outside of my pack. Then, looking for weight reduction, I left them at home. I just loosened my laces around camp, and pulled out my footbeds before fording all those rivers in Maine. (I was wishing I brought my Vivos ...)

But I had nothing to wear in some nasty communal showers ... I started looking at sandals and flip flops. I saw the Xeros and ordered a pair. See my post at http://bit.ly/Xeros) Mine weigh 7.25 ozs. I could probably knock an ounce off by using a different lacing. They're tough enough for barefoot running on asphalt, I'm confident I'm not going to tear the toe strap out of the hole like what happens with those really light, cheap flip-flops so often. With 4mm soles, they pack real flat, fit nicely in my ULA's side or back pockets, or can be slip inside easily.

Downsides: Strap between the toes and even trail hardened feet may not be ready to do any significant hiking in these. They'll be especially uncomfortable if the attachment under the toes isn't made very flat.

They have instructions for a few lacing patterns that go over the top and not between yer toes ...

Joker4ink
02-27-2013, 13:15
Im just taking my Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes for camp shoes only. Only 1.85 ounces for the pair. Not much padding on the sole so I'd be careful where I walk. However they have served me well and are perfect for showers, stream crossings, or just letting your feet air out. I do not like flip flops so these work well for me.

QiWiz
02-27-2013, 17:10
Neither.

Loosen laces on your hiking shoes, and you have no-weight camp shoes. Just sayin'

QiWiz
02-27-2013, 17:13
Im just taking my Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes for camp shoes only. Only 1.85 ounces for the pair. Not much padding on the sole so I'd be careful where I walk. However they have served me well and are perfect for showers, stream crossings, or just letting your feet air out. I do not like flip flops so these work well for me.

I like these too, but can't find them to buy anymore. I bring these for stream crossings and/or trail bathing away from water sources. If I have them with me, they can double as camp shoes if not too chilly and I want to get trail runners off.

chiefduffy
02-28-2013, 07:20
These work great for me, weigh nothing. I put an old insole in them for walking on rocks/sticks around camp.

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218

fiddlehead
02-28-2013, 09:40
These work great for me, weigh nothing. I put an old insole in them for walking on rocks/sticks around camp.

Thanks Chiefduffy.
I was just about to post that link as that's my company and we sell a lot of them.
We have all sizes in stock right now too.

bigcranky
02-28-2013, 09:47
Yeah, Crocs or flip flops is my usual question, too. I do like to have separate shoes for hanging around in camp, even though I hike in relatively light trail shoes. I finally settled on flip flops in the summer when I can walk around without socks, and Crocs the rest of the year.

jbhh
03-03-2013, 17:13
Thinking about just bringing my Teva strap sandals with me for camp shoes/water crossing, thoughts?

leaftye
03-03-2013, 17:28
Thinking about just bringing my Teva strap sandals with me for camp shoes/water crossing, thoughts?

___Heavy___

Kerosene
03-04-2013, 11:08
Thinking about just bringing my Teva strap sandals with me for camp shoes/water crossing, thoughts?Too heavy by at least 4 ounces. Crocs with a strap will weigh between 10-13 ounces for a Men's size 10, while I believe Tevas (which will lack toe protection) will run over a pound.

jeffmeh
03-04-2013, 11:28

Good product, but I am not a fan of these for camp shoes. If I am going to bring them, I want something that will allow my feet to air out.

TheGreek
03-04-2013, 11:32
I went with the Timberland Radler (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P1A5YG/).

Probably not the lightest option, but they are lighter than my Chacos!

BirdBrain
03-04-2013, 11:41
I bought the Virobarefoot Ultra Pures too. They weigh 8.3 oz for pair of size 10's. I did not buy them for camp primarily. I bought them for fording. Will where them at camp too though. If you buy them, get them 1 size down. I take an 11, and the 10's I got are barely too big. I am not sure if the makers think you will be wearing socks or insoles or something. They run big. Love them.

Prop Blast
03-04-2013, 12:26
Teva, Merrell and several other brands now make a very light weight trail/running/river shoe. They look like trail runners but are made with reinforced mesh, weigh near Croc weight, can be worn with socks or without, can be worn in camp or in town AND can replace your regular hiking footwear in case they become damaged.