PDA

View Full Version : Possum walking on the AT

Drakken
01-26-2013, 20:19
Here is a video I took of a possum walking on the AT. He would have run right into me if I had not bent down to grab my walking stick.

http://youtu.be/TmrOonc2T0E

leaftye
01-26-2013, 20:28
Looks like that possum decided to yo-yo the AT.

Wise Old Owl
01-26-2013, 22:07
Possum slackpacker.... caught in the act.

Train Wreck
01-26-2013, 23:36
At least he didn't get hit by a speed hiker! :D

Drakken
01-27-2013, 00:25
Ha! Yeah, I just love the fact he stays on the trail. I would have thought when he saw me her would have run off to the side, but he just keeps on trucking it up the path.
Nature can be so funny at times.

moytoy
01-27-2013, 00:33
Ha! Yeah, I just love the fact he stays on the trail. I would have thought when he saw me her would have run off to the side, but he just keeps on trucking it up the path.
I think they have better eye sight at night. He probably reacted to the noise more so than the site of you. But he did seem to own that trail:)

Pringles
01-27-2013, 11:40
Thats's adorable!

And I always thought possums were born squished on the side of the road. :-)

Drybones
01-27-2013, 12:00
Wish I had a video of the encounter my dog had with a possum last winter, he and a possum were nose to nose, Ruger barking viciously and foaming at the mouth, possum hissing, then the possum stiff legged just falls on it's side stiff as a board as if Ruger's breath killed it, Ruger deposits slobber all over the possum and leaves it no worse for wear. The photo below is one of his back yard encounters, he never does them serious damage, this one got dunked several times but didn't get hurt.

Pedaling Fool
01-27-2013, 12:33
I just had a run in with a possum. I was sitting here at home late at night when I heard chomping of the cat's food. However, I was just in my "workout" room and I knew the cat was there, at least 99% sure. So I'm listening to the chomping, thinking, "I know that damn cat is in the room..." and just then the cat comes walking in, but I still hear the chomping :eek:

So I stand up and look into the kitchen and there he is... a possum eating the cat's food. He looks up and sees me looking at him and after 2 seconds of eye-to-eye contact he jumps 2 feet in the air, knocking over the cat's bowl and runs in the corner of the kitchen, the cat hears this and runs in there before me and they make nose-to-nose contact, but both were too frightened to do anything. I go running for something to catch it and when I get back he's gone.

I look all over and don't see him, then I start walking around the house to figure out how he got in, but couldn't find an entrance, than I remember the dryer, so I look behind it and wala, the ducting has a big hole in it, so I tape it up and replace it the next day with metal ducting.

So now I think I'm good to go, but then I notice the next morning (after the repaired ducting) that all my cat's food is gone and most of its water -- my cat never eats all his food, he makes me replace old food with fresh food. So I figure I should probably stay up that night and see if that thing came back...and sure enough, late that night I heard the chomping again, and I knew it was the possum, by this time I could tell it was a big mouth, much louder than my cat's little mouth chomping at the food.

Long story short, I made sure not to take my eyes off him this time and I chased him around the house for nearly an hour, behind every bit of furniture and appliance. I finally got him trapped between the wall and my couch, which I configured to create a pathway and in the "opening" or exit point of this "pathway" I put the cat's scratch box, which has compartments for the cat to crawl in...basically I forced the possum to crawl into the scratch box and I threw it outside.

It's been over a month now and the cat still has his food to himself.

I wish I had video of me jumping from couch to couch to chair to coffee table...trying to catch that thing.:)

Northern Lights
01-27-2013, 12:37

lol, that's the first thing I thought, that possum won't even get off the trail. Cute video. The only possum I have seen on the trail had been gutted and was laying on the trail somewhere in Ga

yellowsirocco
01-27-2013, 13:22
damn purist possums.

Feral Bill
01-27-2013, 13:46
Possum slackpacker.... caught in the act. Nah, its just seriously ultra light, and living off the land too.