PDA

View Full Version : Bending Tent Stakes

hlynch81
06-07-2005, 00:43
Hi All,

First, some quick background: I'm a novice backpacker, and I've done a few 3-6 day outings during my two years in Korea (just came home). I was either staying at a shelter (they are huge, multi-level deals there) or tenting with a hiking partner. So now I"m planning a one-month section hike in Virginia, my first outing in the U.S., and I have my first tent. So I'm practicing in my backyard. No trouble so far, with one exception: I bend tent stakes like they're going out of style. I've gone through half of the ones that came with the tent, and I've even managed to bend one of my new Kelty Nobendium stakes. Those are like $2 a stake, and I can't keep doing this. Any advice?

(When I hit a hard area, I push them down with my shoe. Sometimes it works, sometimes I end up with an L-shaped stake. But will using a rock help?)

Thanks,

hlynch

verber
06-07-2005, 02:08
You have two options. The first is to change your technique. Don't use your foot. Push the stakes in using your hand. I have found that a plastic cap for 1/2" plumbing just fits over the tops of my largest stakes (MSR groundhog) and provides a large enough surface area so I don't hurt my hand when I push the stake into the ground.

The second option is to try other stakes. You could get one unbendable stake which could be used to start a hole that you will then used for your Kelty stakes, or you could replace all your stakes. With what? I have found that Titanium stakes from Vargo are reasonably light and very durable. Their "nail" stake is as close to unbendable as anything I have ever seen. I carry one of their nail stakes in case I need to make holes for other stakes. You could also look at Y stakes. Y stakes are a bit heavier, but close to industructible, and have good holding power.

--mark

plodder
06-07-2005, 05:37
Use your fingers to practice. When you hit a rock, change the angle of the stake. You can feel the rocks after awhile. Remember, it's a tent peg, not a hurricane strap. Welcome home.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-07-2005, 07:13
Hi All,

First, some quick background: I'm a novice backpacker, and I've done a few 3-6 day outings during my two years in Korea (just came home). I was either staying at a shelter (they are huge, multi-level deals there) or tenting with a hiking partner. So now I"m planning a one-month section hike in Virginia, my first outing in the U.S., and I have my first tent. So I'm practicing in my backyard. No trouble so far, with one exception: I bend tent stakes like they're going out of style. I've gone through half of the ones that came with the tent, and I've even managed to bend one of my new Kelty Nobendium stakes. Those are like $2 a stake, and I can't keep doing this. Any advice?

(When I hit a hard area, I push them down with my shoe. Sometimes it works, sometimes I end up with an L-shaped stake. But will using a rock help?)

Thanks,

hlynch
Try the MSR (formerly Moss) Groundhogs they really work well, can be bent but with great difficulty, and are the stake of choice for most folks in the Virginia mts, although many of us carry a mixed bag of Groundhogs, easton pegs and Ti skewers (the skewers are great rock finders) Drive them with a rock or by hand rather than stomping them in. Groundhogs, because they have much more holding power than skewers don't have to go as deep to give equal grip. Do remember it's usually harder to pull them out than drive them in.

bombayblue
06-07-2005, 07:27
I second the MSR groundhog stakes. Been using them since MSR took over moss and walrus and haven't bent one yet. I like them better than the Mountain Hardwear y-stakes because the groundhogs have a reflective loop at the end to make it easier to pull them out of the ground. Use your shoes or rocks or whatever with the groundhogs. I've worked in an outdoor shop for the last 4 years and not seen one come back bent.

Rain Man
06-07-2005, 10:54
... I'm a novice backpacker, and I've done a few 3-6 day outings during my two years in Korea (just came home). ... Any advice?...

First of all, if you've done a few 3-6 day outings over two years in Korea, don't short-change yourself. You're not a novice!
:)
Next, just how big are you? If you put the stakes in a vise, and stood on them then, would they bend? I bet! So, what kind of ground are you pounding these poor stakes into?

BTW, on occasion I bend stakes in my yard too! Some of them do seem to be quite delicate for their intended purpose. I tend to carry a variety of stakes, since the exact spot of earth where each stake needs to go seems different. You could always switch to a hammock or free-standing tent and greatly reduce the number of stakes needed, I suppose?
:jump
Rain:sunMan

hlynch81
06-07-2005, 12:33
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll look around for the MSR groundhogs. I think maybe pushing them in with my foot is a bad idea; however, they really hurt my hand when I try it that way. Verber, the plumbing cap sounds like it might help.

Thanks again,

hlynch

bulldog49
06-07-2005, 13:31
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll look around for the MSR groundhogs. I think maybe pushing them in with my foot is a bad idea; however, they really hurt my hand when I try it that way. Verber, the plumbing cap sounds like it might help.

Thanks again,

hlynch

Actually, I've never encountered "soil" that was so hard I couldn't get my stakes in by just pushing them in with my hand. Don't understand why a foot or something to hammer them in would ever be required. You can't force a peg through rock.

Tabasco
06-07-2005, 14:05
hlynch:

Phillip Galls and J & H in Lexington both have the MSR stakes. If you go to Louisville, try Quest Outfitters in The Summit at Brownsboro and the Gene Snyder.

verber
06-07-2005, 22:26
Actually, I've never encountered "soil" that was so hard I couldn't get my stakes in by just pushing them in with my hand.
Consider yourself blessed. I have been to a number of destinations that I had to use a rock as a hammer and/or my foot to get the stake in. The worst tended to be places that have established sites that didn't permit camping anywhere else.

--mark

hlynch81
06-08-2005, 14:36
Tobasco:

Thanks! I got the Kelty's at Phillip Galls (the woman said these DEFINITELY won't bend!), I"ll get a set of the MSRs. So I'll have Kelty's, MSRs and the crappy ones that came with the tent. But strangely, the crappy ones work perfectly in just the right soil, while the others are sometimes too big. I guess a mixed bag of stakes is a good thing. Next time I think I"ll go with a free-standing tent; mine takes ten stakes w/o guy lines. :(

I got my boots at Quest in Louisville; they spent an hour fitting me. Very good people.

hlynch

NICKTHEGREEK
06-10-2005, 20:01
Tobasco:

Thanks! I got the Kelty's at Phillip Galls (the woman said these DEFINITELY won't bend!), I"ll get a set of the MSRs. So I'll have Kelty's, MSRs and the crappy ones that came with the tent. But strangely, the crappy ones work perfectly in just the right soil, while the others are sometimes too big. I guess a mixed bag of stakes is a good thing. Next time I think I"ll go with a free-standing tent; mine takes ten stakes w/o guy lines. :(

I got my boots at Quest in Louisville; they spent an hour fitting me. Very good people.

hlynch
Don't expect free standers to need fewer stakes. There were 3 dome tents in the tree tops after a storm blew through while the youth group who pitched them went to scramble up Duncan's Knob in Va. A stiff breeze, an open door and 2 stakes makes for a nice free flying tent

fiddlehead
06-10-2005, 23:38
i use a small rock and lightly tap the stakes in, you can learn to tell when they are about to bend before it even happens after a while. just keep changing the angle until you find a place where it can go in.

when in really rocky ground, try putting in the no bendium stakes with a really hard angle (like almost parrellel to the ground if you have to) then, make a pile of rocks on top of the stakes. I've seen Sherpas due this on solid rock. Or tie that corner of your tent/tarp to a rock and pile others on top of it. You'll be able to set up anywhere there's rocks. also, it's not a bad idea in the whites to carry "screw in cup holders" in your pack to screw into wooden tent platforms if you don't have a free standing tent