PDA

View Full Version : Video's reviewing the gear we will be bringing on our 2012 A.T. thru hike

mainebob
01-26-2013, 22:08
I have made several video's going over the gear that my 13 year old daughter Sassafras and I will be starting our NOBO thru hike with this March. I go over the items we are bringing and the rational for why each piece of gear was chosen. I hope that you find the video's interesting and possibly helpful in seeing what we are bringing and the thoughts that went in to choosing each piece of gear.

If you have and questions or comments please let me know. (Please remember my daughter will be reading them)

You can find a spreadsheet with the weight of each item on the gear page of our blog: http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/

What's in our packs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1ygbUQEEI&list=UU_z9zvIRLDXKXmL-AsJOtFA&index=3

Clothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-ZUqDxiMc&list=UU_z9zvIRLDXKXmL-AsJOtFA&index=2

Gear in stuff sacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUKxoh4oqU&list=UU_z9zvIRLDXKXmL-AsJOtFA&index=1

Camel2012
01-27-2013, 00:58
Hey kaboose, my 14 year old son and I are leaving 2 weeks before you. So not sure if you will catch us, but either way, good luck to you two.

I camped with you two a couple nights in Georgia last April too. I was the guy named Travis from Oklahoma, but don't blame ya if you don't remember me.

Oneofsix
01-27-2013, 01:14
Hey caboose and camel,,I'll be with my 15 and 12 year old daughters, starting around mid march. Doubt we'd catch up to you, Camel, but could bump into caboose and sassafras (love the name)
www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com (http://www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com)

Slo-go'en
01-27-2013, 02:44
I love show and tell videos :) Solid, middle of the road choices.

mainebob
01-27-2013, 08:16
[QUOTE=Camel2012;1402512]Hey kaboose, my 14 year old son and I are leaving 2 weeks before you. So not sure if you will catch us, but either way, good luck to you two.

I camped with you two a couple nights in Georgia last April too. I was the guy named Travis from Oklahoma, but don't blame ya if you don't remember me.[/QUOTE

Travis I remember you, you used a eureka spitfire tent and came in to mountain crossings later our last day and hung our for a while. I hope we get a chance to meet you guys this year. Good luck.

mainebob
01-27-2013, 08:18
Hey caboose and camel,,I'll be with my 15 and 12 year old daughters, starting around mid march. Doubt we'd catch up to you, Camel, but could bump into caboose and sassafras (love the name)
www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com (http://www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com)

We will be looking for you. I think it great that there will be several families out on the trail this year.

tiptoe
01-27-2013, 11:02
Just curious, and this is a question for everyone doing an extended hike with kids: Are you planning to home-school on the trail, or somehow make up the schoolwork they'll be missing?

mainebob
01-27-2013, 12:11
Just curious, and this is a question for everyone doing an extended hike with kids: Are you planning to home-school on the trail, or somehow make up the schoolwork they'll be missing?

In past years we have met parent/kid teams and they all told me they home schooled there kids. For us, when my wife first suggested we do a thru hike I thought school would be a deal breaker (It not my nature to quit good job of 14 years and pull my kid out of school, and have no experience with home schooling). But my wife and I had a meeting with Sassafras's teachers and Principal of her middle school. They could not have been more supportive. Our school district recently went to a "standard's based program", so the students have some flexibility (I was not a big fan of this change, but it did help us). Her teachers and principal have worked out a plan with Sassafras that includes her working ahead now and meeting many of her 7th and 8th grade standards with a trail journal, doing a budget and some reports when she returns. She is in 7th grade this year and will return to middle school for 8th grade when the trip is over. It ends up this is the best year for us to go, so she can be ready for high school. I do not think I would have been comfortable with doing the trip if her school was not 100% behind it. I found it hard to believe, but they told us to take as much time to finish the trip as it takes and they will work out the final plan when we return.

tiptoe
01-27-2013, 12:53
Sounds like you have a very coooperative school district, and I look forward to reading the trail journal.

lukabrazi
01-27-2013, 13:00
Props to her school for working with her to make it possible for her to go and get this great life experience without penalizing her. I'm really excited for you both.

Camel2012
01-27-2013, 13:13
I wouldn't say i will be home schooling, but there will be a lot of learning along the way. I just don't want to pile on school work on top of the stress of hiking everyday. My "schooling" will consist of biology, ecology, history, and geography along the trail, but will be more of a hands on approach with less book learning.

My son is a freshman in highschool, and he tests at a college level. I don't see a problem with him graduating in 7 semesters rather than 8. We are leaving early to get back as close to the start of school in August as possible. We are aiming for 5 months.

Camel2012
01-27-2013, 13:18
Oh forgot, yep that was me with the spitfire, and i remember being very aggravated at gooch with some of the stuff the really loud guy was saying in front of sass. Luckily, i never saw him again. Thought it was very rude and inappropriate. Seems the people get better the further north you go.

marjirob
01-27-2013, 13:39
Thanks mainebob! It was interesting to see what you are taking compared to our gear pile! We have many similarities! We are starting on March 11 and wish you and your daughter nothing but the best!

mainebob
01-27-2013, 13:48
Oh forgot, yep that was me with the spitfire, and i remember being very aggravated at gooch with some of the stuff the really loud guy was saying in front of sass. Luckily, i never saw him again. Thought it was very rude and inappropriate. Seems the people get better the further north you go.

That was the guy with machete. We have been doing sections for 5 years and he was the one person who really tested me. I did not want to make a big seen. I am not surprised you did not see him again.

Sassafras really likes staying in the shelters, but he is one reason I am preparing her to stay in the tent more, at least until the "bubble" thins out a bit.

I believe that 99.9% of the people we meet will be very cool.

From one father to another, thanks for remembering.

Camel2012
01-27-2013, 14:02
Yeah, machete, big radio around his neck, army ruck, and no food only protein powder. Would have been more surprising to see him again, and he was bragging the whole time that he thru hiked before.

I only made it to smithsburg, md, but he was the worst i met as far as being totally rude and inconsiderate.