PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze filter OR AquaMira OR Micropur Tablets

AuntieSarah
01-27-2013, 01:31
I have the Sawyer squeeze filter, AquaMira Drops, and about 20 Katadyn Micropur Tablets, and I'm trying to decide what to use (alone or in combination) on my thru.

I like having immediate access to drinkable water with the filter so I can hydrate quickly and keep hiking. But it weights a good 5 oz (because of the water that remains in the filter after use) which is an extra 5 oz that don't seem *absolutely* essential, and weight is a big consideration for me. Instead I could use the AquaMira drops (much lighter), the only downside being they take longer to work.

On my Superior Hiking Trail hike, I used the filter with good success (except the bags leaked, but that's not a problem now as I'll be using platypus bags which also fit the filter) and brought the Katadyn Tabs as a back-up and never needed them.

Thoughts? Thanks!

ken209
01-27-2013, 09:54
Check out Sticks Blog, he has a good write up on this.

bigcranky
01-27-2013, 13:05
I used the drops for years, and just switched to the tablets last year. They are just so simple and quick to use, no mixing and no waiting 5 minutes to add the chems to the water. Still have to wait to drink, of course.

We sometimes take a filter when I hike with my wife, but I am trying to get her on board with the tabs.

RedBeerd
01-27-2013, 18:24
I used the tabs on one section hike and that was the first and last time. Sawyer squeeze is the way to go. Love that thing.

AuntieSarah
01-28-2013, 01:31
sorry, I'm new to TJ, how do I find this blog?

Chuckie V
01-28-2013, 02:39
sorry, I'm new to TJ, how do I find this blog?

I think this is the one mentioned...

http://www.laughingdog.com/2013/01/rethinking-my-pack-water_18.html

Sarah...for what it's worth, I'm going with the Sawyer, though I just ordered it and have yet to test it. But the long-term use of chemicals frightens me and so far I've heard mostly good about the Sawyer unit. Someone raised a good point in another thread about being able to filter and drink water at the source, so that you can then travel lighter and not have to lug as much water between sources (or have to wait for the chemicals to work their magic while carrying that chemicalized H2O). Something to consider.

Chuckie V
01-28-2013, 02:54
Here's another thread on the subject...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91722-Experience-with-Aquamira-and-flirting-with-Sawyer

birchy
01-28-2013, 09:41
I suggest the Sawyer. Water is essential and 5 oz's is not much compared to the benefit. Long term use of tablets raises health concerns.

AuntieSarah
01-28-2013, 11:58
thanks for the links folks-- I don't want to get into the mindset of "oh, why not bring it? it's just 5 oz"--that's how people end up with 35 lb packs ;-) But if it's a very helpful 5 oz then maybe it's worthwhile if it makes my hike less complicated.

Rocket Jones
01-28-2013, 12:33
Just a point here... the chemicals used in Aqua Mira are the same ones - or similar to - the ones used in many municipal water sources. If you drink tap water or use ice, you're already drinking chemicals. And don't believe that all bottled or filtered water is "pure" by that standard either.

jbwood5
01-28-2013, 12:43
I pack a dozzen MicroPur tablets as backup. Filters can break or clog.

bigcranky
01-28-2013, 13:10
I pack a dozzen MicroPur tablets as backup. Filters can break or clog.

Yes, the one time I forgot to bring some sort of backup, my Pur Hiker broke such that it couldn't be used. So now I just bring the tablets for the simplicity.

Bucho
01-29-2013, 16:44
I have the Sawyer squeeze filter, AquaMira Drops, and about 20 Katadyn Micropur Tablets, and I'm trying to decide what to use (alone or in combination) on my thru.

Those are all effective against giardia which is the issue on the AT so they're all fine. Besides looking at weight you might also consider the cost and resupply issues of the chemical options. Further if you use a hydration bladder you could consider using the Sawyer filter inline to cut down on extra water bag weight: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=61871