PDA

View Full Version : Hiding threads

treesloth
01-27-2013, 08:49
Is there any special trick for hiding entire threads? I've figured out how to hide replies from certain people, but not recurring threads that I don't wish to see pop up anymore when I click on New Posts. Am I missing something? Thanks.

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 08:53
Is there any special trick for hiding entire threads? I've figured out how to hide replies from certain people, but not recurring threads that I don't wish to see pop up anymore when I click on New Posts. Am I missing something? Thanks.Just scroll on by...but then you can't see this can ya?

Karma13
01-27-2013, 08:54
I've often wished I could hide a particular thread. I will say, though, that I've come to get a giggle out of seeing a thread that consists of nothing but 'ignored' posts.

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 08:56
I've often wished I could hide a particular thread. I will say, though, that I've come to get a giggle out of seeing a thread that consists of nothing but 'ignored' posts.Is that where the top number is lower than the bottom number?

WingedMonkey
01-27-2013, 08:57
Is there any special trick for hiding entire threads? I've figured out how to hide replies from certain people, but not recurring threads that I don't wish to see pop up anymore when I click on New Posts. Am I missing something? Thanks.

I've been wondering the same thing.

treesloth
01-27-2013, 09:02
Just scroll on by...but then you can't see this can ya?

I always do. Just wondering if there was a way to abolish altogether. But thank you for your (stab at) wisdom, dear Rocketsocks. Just messin. ;-)

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 09:03
I always do. Just wondering if there was a way to abolish altogether. But thank you for your (stab at) wisdom, dear Rocketsocks. Just messin. ;-)me too, sorry to crash the thread.

Karma13
01-27-2013, 09:05
I WISH I COULD HIDE THIS THREAD!

Just kidding.

Although I wonder if hiding a thread about hiding threads would create some sort of weird black-hole feedback loop that would undermine the entire universe.

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 09:08
Is there any special trick for hiding entire threads? I've figured out how to hide replies from certain people, but not recurring threads that I don't wish to see pop up anymore when I click on New Posts. Am I missing something? Thanks.And not for nothing, I do see the wisdom in the idea. If you could do this function, then you could also limit who would see these threads, and then the rules that govern langue and content could be keeped from younger eye's or anyone finding them offensive and there by allowing for a more wordy, unencumbered, down right straight shooting content, just like joining a user group.....I like it...send it up the flagpole, see if it fly's...Brilliant!

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 09:10
I WISH I COULD HIDE THIS THREAD!

Just kidding.

Although I wonder if hiding a thread about hiding threads would create some sort of weird black-hole feedback loop that would undermine the entire universe.run away run away!

treesloth
01-27-2013, 09:22
I do like where this is going, for some sick reason. OK, so I assume there isn't a way. At least I got a couple laughs out of it. I guess that's good enough for now.

Wise Old Owl
01-27-2013, 09:46
You can hide an entire thread to non donating members by starting in the donating area. Occasionally I have started a thread up there because it limits the answers to the question.

There are area's you can subscribe to that only a few can see.

You can limit posts and speed up your reading - by putting people that truly irritate you by putting them on ignore. After that a reminder that they are ignore. Then if you still want to read the post an extra button pops up.

Now take that up to the next level
People that troll a particular forum are on put on ignore to quickly identify the bad posts,

Hope that helps... there are other ideas... but that answers the scope of your question.

treesloth
01-27-2013, 10:04
Well, I have a few people on ignore and happier for it; I want to control what _I_ see, not what others see of mine. There are quite a few threads just keep recurring and I don't want to sift through them to see the important stuff that matters. Thanks for the reply though.

On another note (nothing wrong with hijacking my own thread, I guess,) - just weighed in for my base weight for my coming hike - 13#. Stoked. Quite a step up (or down?) from previous weights. Does anyone usually count their hiking poles in their BW? I didn't, since they'll be in my hands the entire time (no rocks to climb around here).

BirdBrain
03-12-2013, 12:43

It appears I am not the only one wondering about such things.

Alligator
03-12-2013, 12:54
A user can be removed from a thread but the thread will still show. Clicking on thread will show a screen indicating this action. This is reserved for users that do not have enough self-control to avoid a thread.

Users can be removed from forums/subforums. This will hide all threads in that forum. This is generally reserved for users that do not have enough self-control to avoid entire forums or misbehave in those particular forums.

These two options need to be performed by admins. Due to the large number of users, we cannot fully customize a user's profile so that they have a specialized set of forums viewable. It is possible there is an ignore thread hack for Vbulletin which I think we might look into or at least suggest to developers.

Users can subscribe to certain forums, Non-AT for regular members and donating members can subscribe to Sensitive Trail Issues.

BirdBrain
03-12-2013, 13:00
Thank you for this clear answer. Self control is the most viable solution in the short term. I look forward to the possible hack in the long term. Please pass that suggestion on. Given the replies above, I am sure I am not the only one that will appreciate such a creature comfort.

Chaco Taco
03-12-2013, 15:23
or you sould just not click on the thread...problem solved. Have some self control

Chaco Taco
03-12-2013, 15:24
oh I fogot...and quit sniveling:D