PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 58 backpack

Cozy
01-27-2013, 09:42
Anyone use the Osprey Exos 68 pack on their thru hike? If so, how did it hold up? Would you recommend it? Pros/cons? Thanks.

colorado_rob
01-27-2013, 11:00
Anyone use the Osprey Exos 68 pack on their thru hike? If so, how did it hold up? Would you recommend it? Pros/cons? Thanks. I have the virtually identical 46L version, and it has, up until very recently, been my go-to pack, having used it for many hundreds of miles. That being said, I have never been very happy with the waistbelt, so for me, the pack "craps out" above about 25 pounds total weight. So it still works for most hikes (I have about a 12 pound base weight). For my AT attempt (soon!) I have since bought a ULA OHM 2.0 that has a significantly better waist belt and slightly greater capacity that the 46L Exos (but probably les than the 58L you ask about).

soilman
01-27-2013, 11:41
I used the Exos 58 on my 2010 thru from Springer to Hanover. I started having problems with the mesh back that keeps the pack and frame separated from your back. It started wearing out on both sides due to rubbing on the hip belt. I first called Osprey at Kincora Hostel and they said bring it to Trail Days and have it repaired. I told them I wasn't going to Trail Days. They said field repairs would void the warranty and basically said return it to them for repair. I stopped at outfitters from Damascus to Hanover before I was able to get the issue resolved. By the time I got to Harpers Ferry the tears were so bad the frame was digging into my hip. EMS outside of Hanover swapped out the Exos for an Atmos with no problem. I liked the Exos and I like the Atmos, but I think there is a design flaw in the Exos. Almost everyone I met who was using an Exos had tears in the mesh back. The right pocket on my Atmos has worn out from rubbing against the frame. It is made from the same mesh as the back of the Exos. I carried a base weight of about 16 to 18 pounds so I feel I was in the weight range for which the pack was designed.

soilman
01-27-2013, 11:43
Forgot to mention the belt. I used a size large since I am 6'1". But I am slim. By the time I got to Pearsiburg I was running out of adjustment because of weight loss.

colorado_rob
01-27-2013, 11:53
Forgot to mention the belt. I used a size large since I am 6'1". But I am slim. By the time I got to Pearsiburg I was running out of adjustment because of weight loss. Yes, I have this identical problem, 6'1", 175 lbs, the large size pack's hipbelt is too big. that's the main advantage of the ULA packs (and I'm sure some other brands); you can order different size hip belts and torso lengths; I use a small hip belt and large torso in my ULA OHM 2.0, perfect fit. BTW: I've used my Exos 46 for many hundreds of miles, no issue with that mesh wearing out as mentioned below, not sure why I have not had this problem. One other note: Osprey would never actually "void a warranty". they have an absolute iron-clad, no fault, no matter why replacement or repair policy. I recently tested this; my wife's Osprey Talon 44 was shredded by a bear. Osprey replaced it, free of charge, including free shipping.

Del Q
01-27-2013, 19:46
Too early to tell for me................just got myself this pack for the Holidays...........hiked today, really like the fit & features, cannot comment on longevity.

Next Section Hike is this March / April................knowing Osprey and customer service in this "social media" World (don't handle a reasonable request = company is toast online) if there is a design flaw, they will fix it.

What I like about the mesh separating my wet, sweaty back is just that.............less weight, less stink.

One thing for sure, the Exos 58 has a TON of great features, really well thought out!