PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mt/AT loop hike out of Damascus ??

Drybones
01-27-2013, 15:32
I'm considering a spur of the moment loop hike leaving Damascus and hiking the Iron Mt Trail to the AT and hiking the AT back to Damascus. Can anyone tell me the trail conditions and where I could leave my truck? Thanks.

topshelf
01-27-2013, 16:17
humm consider leaving it in damascus, possibly at MRO, call and ask first, most/all of the trail is under snow and ice right now. I hiked a good portion of the IMT a few weeks ago and it was a sloppy mess with lots of blow downs. the area has seen a lot of snow, wind, and ice of late. I'd bring micro spikes. Up in grayson highlands it has been an absolute mess, I'd consider taking the Pine Mountain trail when up there, rhododendron gap, fatman's squeeze and that whole section has been covered in ice, and the wind has been horrible. I would have an option to stay up there as little as possible unless you get up there on a good day. Same for White Top. It will be tough going in parts, but it's an enjoyable loop. I've been enjoying a lot of day hikes on that section as of late!

Lone Wolf
01-27-2013, 16:26
you may leave your truck at my place or the free public parking lot at The Old Mill. MRO charges $3 per day

Siestita
01-27-2013, 16:34
The Damascus hostel affiliated with Mount Rogers Outfitters advertises, on their web site, long term parking.

How long a loop are you plan to walk? In Virginia the Iron Mountain Trail (IMT)intersects the AT at two locations. Going northbound on the AT from Damascus, the first intersection with the IMT occurs at about 3 miles, at Feathercamp Ridge. The next place that those trails intersect is 40 miles further along the AT, at Chestnut flats. The IMT connecting those two points is 17 miles long. There are also several places that side trails connect the AT and IMT, making loops of various intermediate lengths possible.

It is also possible to leave vehicles in the backpacker lot at Grayson Highlands State Park. In recent years that's where I've left my car when making low mileage multi-day (or multi-week) outings in the area. Attractive loops of varying lengths can be done starting from the State Park. Beginning there, instead of down lower at Damascus, would get you up into the scenic high country more quickly. Of course, at this time of year, being up higher on exposed balds might not necessarily be advantageous. Pay close attention to weather forecasts. Winter conditions along some trails closer to your home in Alabama might be less challenging than those atop the Grayson Highlands.

10-K
01-27-2013, 17:04
I've hiked the Iron Mt. Trail and also looped sobo out of Damascus on the AT and then back to Damascus on the Iron Mt. Trail.

The section of Iron Mt. Trail south of Damascus has a wild feel to it and is also dry - there is water 5 miles out of Damascus but I believe that was all I saw.

The section of the Iron Mt. Trail north of Damascus has 3 shelters, lots of water and great tread. It has a totally different vibe than the southern section.

Drybones
01-27-2013, 21:46
Thanks for the input everyone...based on topshelf's report I believe I'll wait for the trail to clear a little before doing this hike. I need to get out of the house for a few days so maybe I'll just either go to the Pinhoti or go to Tampa and install crown railing for my daughter. Thanks again.