PDA

View Full Version : Veg/Vegan Restaurant and Health Food Store Survey.. need these services on trail?

Mountain Manatee
01-27-2013, 15:57
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P8T7RWV

Please check out a survey I'm taking, considering opening a vegetarian/vegan/raw deli/restaurant and health food store along the AT. Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated!

(You don't have to be a veg/vegan/raw food person to answer, please take the survey!)

Wise Old Owl
01-27-2013, 16:08
Mountain Manatee, Interesting idea, great place to start, no I am not a veggie person....

Here are some additional resources for you...Good luck with your business plan! Scroll to the bottom there are lots of good pages there.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/restaurant-equipment-supply-marketing-articles/how-to-start-a-restaurant/projecting-sales-for-your-new-restaurant/c28288.aspx

(http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/restaurant-equipment-supply-marketing-articles/how-to-start-a-restaurant/projecting-sales-for-your-new-restaurant/c28288.aspx)

Almost There
01-27-2013, 17:20
First thought is maybe near Blacksburg in Va. Near the trail, and you have college students as well. Make sure you do your research, lot of little towns where people love their meat! Good luck with it however, I've just switched to a whole foods plant diet, so it would be nice to see such options out there.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2013, 20:44
My favorite restaurant in town has a wide range of healthy foods. They are not strictly vegetarian. Many items have meat, but they have lots of vegetarian and vegan items, all identified on the menu. Everything is made from scratch (including their killer granola bars - had one for lunch at Tuolome Meadows). They use local supplies (listed on the chalk board every day). Their menu includes lots of interesting options you don't see other places. To me this is real health food, and in the long run, I think this kind of establishment is likely to be more successful due to its wider appeal.

Dogwood
01-27-2013, 23:04
This is a great idea mountain Manatee. Some suggestions though.

1) Do market research. Ask yourself what types of people would most likely purchase the items you are considering vending! Where do they typically reside? In Damascus? Probaqbly NOT! At least probably not in sufficient quantity to support your type of biz. What are their typical careers or salary ranges? What's their typical education level? Look at where Vitamin Cottage, GNC, Whole Foods, Earth Fare Grocery stores, Starbucks, large groc ery stores with health food or organic sections/aisles locate themselves! You'll most likely be marketing to many of the same consumers.

2) While SOME, PROBABLY A SMALL NUMBER, of hikers, like myself(I'm a pesce vegetarian) would consider purchasing from the type of biz you are considering are the majority of AT hikers, or simply a sufficient number of AT hikers, going to solely financially support the biz you are considering? Year round? Think about how many threads appear on WB alone where wannabe hikers are considering doing a dirt bag low ball budget hike. Think about how many AT hostels engage in their biz MAINLY out of their love and support for the trail and hikers, not as a means to financially retire.

If you want to attract AT hikers in greater numbers to your biz I would suggest a marketing hook or gimmick aimed at that segment of your potential market. BE AT TRAIL FRIENDLY! Advertise a connection between hiking the AT, with a AT friendly atmosphere, and living a healthier more thougfhtful lifestyle.

Lastly, if I was seriously considering a financial investment in you type of proposal I WOULD NOT want to see you depending solely on AT hikers as your consumer base, whether they be vegetarian or not.

Mountain Manatee
02-04-2013, 22:34
Does anyone have any good names for a veggie style restaurant you'd like to share? Win a free meal!

JAK
02-04-2013, 22:57
Done. Best regards.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2013, 07:17
Sprigs & Sprouts

nitewalker
02-05-2013, 07:42
Does anyone have any good names for a veggie style restaurant you'd like to share? Win a free meal!

:welcomeHerbs Healthy Haven..........................................:D

10-K
02-05-2013, 08:47
Suggest also selling bulk items and maybe even dehydrated veggie/vegan meals for resupply as an additional revenue generator.

pelenaka
02-05-2013, 14:37
2nd 10-K post offering resupply goods. I'd be much more likely to patronize your deli if I could purchase a full days menu of dehydrated food along with shopping a bulk food section. Personally I'm diabetic so even though hiking can mean I am able to splurge somewhat on carbs I can't go over board no dinner flap jacks for me unless it's whole grain, low carb syrup & jams ... hint hint ... seriously though, offering heart healthy & diabetic meal choices that don't have the healthy/vegan wording so to speak to bring in non-hiking customers.
Those will be your bread & butter the majority of the time.

The smart alec in me came up with "Take a Hike" but if you want to draw in the locals then perhaps something more general.

... smh figures my 1st post on WB is about food.

Feral Bill
02-05-2013, 15:15
I find Indian food has a great variety of good food that doesn't contain meat.

surfnturk
02-05-2013, 15:25
Call it "The Grit", (greatest restaraunt in town). Just dont open it in Athens , Ga. cause there's one there.

ever4ward
02-05-2013, 17:54
Good luck, I hope you make it happen. We plan our cross country trips around great vegan restaurants. Names of a few that come to mind for inspiration: The Great Sage near Baltimore, Rawberts near Boston, Conscious Cravings and Counter Culture in Austin TX.

Mountain Manatee
02-05-2013, 19:05
Good luck, I hope you make it happen. We plan our cross country trips around great vegan restaurants. Names of a few that come to mind for inspiration: The Great Sage near Baltimore, Rawberts near Boston, Conscious Cravings and Counter Culture in Austin TX.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, still trying to see if we should come up with another name for the place....perhaps it's fine the way it is. Have heard some PM"s such as "sunflower"etc. More ideas out there from our veggie hikers?

Lots of desserts, chocolate and such as well.....

Papa D
02-05-2013, 19:25
Call it "The Grit", (greatest restaraunt in town). Just dont open it in Athens , Ga. cause there's one there.

one of my favorite eating spots - rock star Michael Stipe of REM owns the building FWIW - - I've been a vegetarian for many years - never had too many major obstacles on the trail - even at convenience stores - Ramen, Peanut Butter, and oatmeal isn't necessarily the most gourmet fare but it'll get you by until you get to a grocery - if you "do" dairy and can add block cheese, etc., it's easier. - - agree with earlier poster about indian foods - - curries are pretty easy to make on trail.

surfnturk
02-05-2013, 19:42
one of my favorite eating spots - rock star Michael Stipe of REM owns the building FWIW - - I've been a vegetarian for many years - never had too many major obstacles on the trail - even at convenience stores - Ramen, Peanut Butter, and oatmeal isn't necessarily the most gourmet fare but it'll get you by until you get to a grocery - if you "do" dairy and can add block cheese, etc., it's easier. - - agree with earlier poster about indian foods - - curries are pretty easy to make on trail.

One of my favorites too and I'm not a vegetarian. It's just really good food.

Blissful
02-05-2013, 21:57
I think a veggie restaurant would add a good variety to the trail and give a good healthy alternative to the tons of empty fatty protein and carbs that makes up a hiker's diet.

Rasty
02-05-2013, 22:30
Where is this restaurant opening?

Rule of thumb on restaurants is that the more specialized the restaurant the larger town/city it needs to support the low percentage of the population that will spend money eating there. Only 1% of a given population will eat at a vegan restaurant. The same is true for a Dry-Aged Steak house or very high end cuisine. Target your customers, not just your tastes. I have watched many restaurants fail because the owner tried to dictate the menu to the customers.

Forget everything I just said if you are looking to open a five or less total employee restaurant with less then $400k in gross sales. A good rule is shoot for less then $400k or over $1.5million, anything in between is a loser.

I'm just one of the Whiteblaze jokers but restaurants are my profession and passion.

Papa D
02-05-2013, 23:15
Pennsylvania has my vote

Mountain Manatee
02-09-2013, 20:38
This restaurant is scheduled to open on March 1st in Damascus VA, just across from Blue Blaze Cafe ( formerly QUincey's pizza) Lots of local interest for the Mountain Manatee here in town, some hikers and bikers who have come through on weekends are excited about it! Will be very laid back and have a nice selection of small sized health food items geared for traveling light.

Anyone have any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2013, 21:29
great and good luck My favorite vegan restaurant is the Seed in Ashville if you ever get the chance have lunch or dinner there

Coosa
02-11-2013, 00:21
Have Gluten-free items, Dairy Free items .... and have Protein Mixes and Powdered Protein Drink and Powdered Milk [do they make powdered soy or almond milk?]

I take or have mailed to me my Herbalife Protein Drink Powder [in place of milk] and Meal Replacement Powder ... much healthier than Carnation Instant Breakfast. The Drink Powder and Meal Replacement Powder are each 1 pound and provide me with 30 meals, just add filtered [treated] water. Re-supplying with junk-foods doesn't bother as much if I know I'm having my vitamin, mineral, supplement rich nutrients in my Herbalife.

And first thing I want after a hike is VEGGIES and a steak, but I wouldn't mind buying the veggies separately at one place and the steak at another. YMMV.

Coosa

Mountain Manatee
04-23-2013, 18:03
Hi Coosa, we actually send take out over to Blue Blaze Cafe (they do have some amazing huge salads, and an ANTI cheese steak on the menu) and we can deliver over there if we're not too busy.

So far things have been going terrific! lots of hikers want to get their green on , and we offer vegetarian as well as vegan foods, gluten free chips served with all of our flips and burritos. Fresh ( not frozen fruit!) Fruit Smoothies and fresh Brevilled veg juices.

Our little store area has hikers sized packets, meal and toiletries including some organic choices for the ladies. Some basic herbal remedies for aches, pains, poison ivy, and stuff for your dogs. Hope to see you there soon! We're directly across the street from Mt. Rogers Outfitters and next to Dave's Place Hostel.

Coosa
04-28-2013, 14:33
Sounds fantastic. I'm hiking the North half of the AT starting next Saturday from Gathland State Park.

When I finish, I'm coming back to my Mom's for a 45th High School Reunion, then driving back to Tennessee and my plan is to stop at Grayson Highlands St Pk and also Damascus ... hope to see you sometime in October.

My mouth is already watering, btw.
Coosa

Sunwolf
06-20-2013, 01:34
You should call it, "Yo, Eat This Here Sammich You Filthy Slobby Hiker Trash Fool!" though the sign might be a li'l pricey.

Butterfly58
06-21-2013, 15:40
I'm so glad to hear you're offering some gluten-free options! I'll definitely come have a meal with you on my hike next year. Wishing you much success!!!