PDA

View Full Version : Gonna make a quilt, Silnyoln inner with ripstop (nonsil) outer?

blytz
06-07-2005, 09:26
I've got several yards of silnylon from my tarptent project (btw, thanks for recommending Noah Lamport!), and I'm interested in making a camping quilt.

I've got a dark brown Silnylon 1.1oz that I plan on using for the bottom layer, but I don't really want to order another 10 yards of a lighter color from Noah Lamport, and I can get a few yards of regular ripstop for just a few bucks locally (I believe it's 1.9 oz or so). I'm also thinking that this might help with breathability of the bag or help with drying it out.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
SandalScout

Just Jeff
06-07-2005, 10:05
You don't want to use ANY sil on the quilt unless you're making a vapor barrier. Vapor barriers are usually bags or suits, not quilts, so they can keep in all of the vapor.

If you put the sil on the inside of a quilt, you'll sweat and your moisture will leak out the bottom/sides, so you'll cool from evaporative heat transfer. If you put the sil on top, the moisture will soak the insulation and stay there, leaving you with a wet quilt.

I'd go with DWR on both. If you're just trying to use up the sil, make a pack liner, pack cover, stuff sack, ground cover, water bag, rainsuit, poncho...

Maybe one of these...
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html

blytz
06-07-2005, 11:23
Thanks Jeff, that makes sense. I thought about it some more, and realized it wouldn't be a good idea for the upper layer, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the links!

Rambler
07-01-2005, 14:22
When I made a quilt, it was not wide enough and it kept slipping off my shoulders. To solve the problem, I sewed in a piece of 1.9 nylon into the "v". Fearing this might make the quilt too warm, I sewed in a zipper along one side, so I could still open it up. I have never used the zipper and my quilt now has a floor. It works great. That might be an idea for your left over nylon. I also sewed in a couple of nylon strips to help hold a sleeping pad in place. Another idea for left over silnylon, is to make one very large stuff sack to be made as a backpack liner for your gear. (JustJeff suggests the same!) This replaced the need of a garbage bag or trash compactor bag. I use it all the time and do not have to use a pack cover.