PDA

View Full Version : Remotest resturant in the US by trail.........

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 21:07
According to Backpacker magazine, I have eaten at the remotest restaurant in the US. It is 7 miles by trail to the closest road, yet I took the long way around and hiked 13.3 miles from the opposite direction. had a delicious lunch, met a pretty lady whom sat with me while i ate and watched as a mtn goat stood by the door of the lodge and waited for any scraps.

SOBO_Pace
01-27-2013, 21:19
So where is it?

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 21:26
So where is it?

Sperry Chalet in Glacier.

hikerboy57
01-27-2013, 21:28
is that the one across from the bus terminal?
id love to visit glacier one day. our general mgr was out there last year, the pictures were beautiful. just awesome scenery
im jealous

coach lou
01-27-2013, 21:34
id love to visit glacier one day. our general mgr was out there last year, the pictures were beautiful. just awesome scenery
im jealous

Ah, you just give me the word and we are there........my bud will pick us up at the airport

yellowsirocco
01-27-2013, 21:35
Phantom Ranch should be right about the same distance.

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 21:49

I've eaten there also.

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 21:52
im jealous

Sperry Chalet is 7 miles from Lake MacDonald Lodge on the west end of Going-to-the-Sun Rd. I hiked from the Jackson Glacier Overlook on the opposite side of Logan Pass.

coach lou
01-27-2013, 21:54
Sperry Chalet is 7 miles from Lake MacDonald Lodge on the west end of Going-to-the-Sun Rd. I hiked from the Jackson Glacier Overlook on the opposite side of Logan Pass.

If he wouldn't continue to resist, he could see all those beautiful pics in your FB gallery!........I'll get him out there someday soon.

Dogwood
01-27-2013, 21:58
I was thinking some of the huts along trails would be in contention IN THE LOWER 48.

G-FOURce
01-27-2013, 22:03
I love Glacier. Honeymooned in St. Mary's. Spent a night in an outhouse at Lower Snyder Lake (on the other side of Gunsight Mountain from Sperry Chalet) during an ice storm. My mother has a cabin in Polebridge, MT. That's God's country...

coach lou
01-27-2013, 22:04
I love Glacier. Honeymooned in St. Mary's. Spent a night in an outhouse at Lower Snyder Lake (on the other side of Gunsight Mountain from Sperry Chalet) during an ice storm. My mother has a cabin in Polebridge, MT. That's God's country...

The Mercantile has the best sticky buns on the planet.........pretty good coffee to.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2013, 23:11

I was thinking PR was further.

7.4 mi to PR as per NPS
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-distances.htm

6.7 mi to SC as per SC
http://www.sperrychalet.com/trail.html

swjohnsey
01-27-2013, 23:30
I've eaten a Phantom Ranch but I believe the little place Supai is further.

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 23:44

During my hike over Gunsight Pass and over to Sperry Chalet I also stopped at Snyder lakes for one night. Hiked up to the upper lake before leaving for the day. Had both lakes all to myself and it was Labor Day weekend!! At the upper lake I had one of those moments where I felt like I was part of nature, not an intrusion.

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 23:45
The Mercantile has the best sticky buns on the planet.........pretty good coffee to.

Are you talking about the place in Polebridge? I'll be there next summer for my vacation!

coach lou
01-27-2013, 23:51
Are you talking about the place in Polebridge? I'll be there next summer for my vacation!

Yea, and all the babes that work there are as sweet as the sticky buns...........and I don't know about Havre, but I've been hard pressed to find a better cup of coffee in western Montana. You must have heard about their bakery goods....cookies, bearpaws, magic bars, huckleberry everythings.....I didn't want to leave.

Different Socks
01-27-2013, 23:53
I was thinking PR was further.

7.4 mi to PR as per NPS
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-distances.htm

6.7 mi to SC as per SC
http://www.sperrychalet.com/trail.html

You can get drinks at Phantom Ranch, but I do not believe they allow non-guests to eat there. In other words, if you are staying at the campground not in the bunkhouse for guests, you can't just walk in and order dinner. It's been a few years since i worked there so maybe things have changed. I do recall a beer costing $$$$ for just a single can!!

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 00:01
I've eaten a Phantom Ranch but I believe the little place Supai is further.

I was thinking the same thing. it is over 8 miles, maybe as many as 9 to the front door as the village is 8 from the hilltop

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 00:02
You can get drinks at Phantom Ranch, but I do not believe they allow non-guests to eat there. In other words, if you are staying at the campground not in the bunkhouse for guests, you can't just walk in and order dinner. It's been a few years since i worked there so maybe things have changed. I do recall a beer costing $$$$ for just a single can!!all true, and also exactly the same at sperry chalet as far as I know.

Different Socks
01-28-2013, 00:12
all true, and also exactly the same at sperry chalet as far as I know.

When I did my hike a few years ago, I walked right in and ordered a sandwich with drink, sat down at a table and they brought it to me.

Different Socks
01-28-2013, 00:14
When I did my hike a few years ago, I walked right in and ordered a sandwich with drink, sat down at a table and they brought it to me.

In other words, I was not a guest, just a hiker out for the day. BTW, you can't do that at all the chalets in Glacier. Counted on getting a sandwich at Granite Park Chalet..they said nope! Food is only for guests.

Sly
01-28-2013, 00:14
According to Backpacker magazine, I have eaten at the remotest restaurant in the US. It is 7 miles by trail to the closest road, yet I took the long way around and hiked 13.3 miles from the opposite direction. had a delicious lunch, met a pretty lady whom sat with me while i ate and watched as a mtn goat stood by the door of the lodge and waited for any scraps.

13.3 miles!? It took us 2700 miles to get there, and when we did, it was closed!

Sly
01-28-2013, 00:25
Phantom Ranch was a huge disappointment. The area was awesome but for a bunk they jammed you in a cabin with no room to sit other than your bed and hardly any room to move around. The "restaurant" sucked and was just a large room with picnic type tables, with what, one item on the menu? I think it was $12 for a bowl of beef stew.

The campground was much nicer and about $40 cheaper.

Different Socks
01-28-2013, 00:27
13.3 miles!? It took us 2700 miles to get there, and when we did, it was closed!

Know how you feel. Though nowhere near the same distance, I walked the Floral Park x-country hike from Logan Pass on Labor Day weekend(this was different hike) to Sperry Chalet. Despite the fact it was Monday, the actual holiday when you would expect all the last throngs of tourists to be staying at the chalet, it was already closed. for the season.

swjohnsey
01-28-2013, 00:28
Non-guest can eat at Phantom Ranch but need to make a reservation. Any food you eat that you don't have to carry is priceless, even the lemonade.

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 00:52
In other words, I was not a guest, just a hiker out for the day. BTW, you can't do that at all the chalets in Glacier. Counted on getting a sandwich at Granite Park Chalet..they said nope! Food is only for guests.
you can get simple food like that on a walk-in basis at phantom as well. at both phantom and sperry you can not get a full sit down dinner without a reservation. at neither does getting a reservation require an overnight stay. granite park chalet does not have prepared food for anyone, guests or not. they sell snack items to anyone who shows up and they have mountain house type meals for sale, those may only be for guests. I think both by measure of distance and by what selection of food you can just walk up and order without prior notice the café at supai wins.

Sly
01-28-2013, 01:03
Know how you feel. Though nowhere near the same distance, I walked the Floral Park x-country hike from Logan Pass on Labor Day weekend(this was different hike) to Sperry Chalet. Despite the fact it was Monday, the actual holiday when you would expect all the last throngs of tourists to be staying at the chalet, it was already closed. for the season.

Hmmm.... now that I see someone mention the Granite Park Chalet, I'm not sure which one we visited on the CDT? Either way we were able to go in a check it out but I think they were closing for the season mid-September.

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 01:18
Hmmm.... now that I see someone mention the Granite Park Chalet, I'm not sure which one we visited on the CDT? Either way we were able to go in a check it out but I think they were closing for the season mid-September.

granite park is on the CDT, sperry is a few miles off.

fiddlehead
01-28-2013, 07:10
Most remote restaurant by trail in the US:
I would think Muir Trail Ranch would be close to the top of the list.
The Sierras have far less roads than Glacier Nat Park.
What about Stehiken on the PCT?
Or Benchmark in the "Bob" I don't remember if there was a restaurant but I'll never forget that apple pie that lady gave me there.
Big Sandy lodge in the Winds is a bit remote.
Lake of the clouds? or Carter Notch on the AT? (or Whitehouse landing?)

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 07:35
Most remote restaurant by trail in the US:
I would think Muir Trail Ranch would be close to the top of the list.
The Sierras have far less roads than Glacier Nat Park.
What about Stehiken on the PCT?
Or Benchmark in the "Bob" I don't remember if there was a restaurant but I'll never forget that apple pie that lady gave me there.
Big Sandy lodge in the Winds is a bit remote.
Lake of the clouds? or Carter Notch on the AT? (or Whitehouse landing?)
isnt stehiken mostly reached by people taking a ferry? all of the huts in the whites are less than 5 miles from a road if you are capable of realizing the whites have trails that aren't the AT (most around here are not). theres also leconte lodge, I am unfamiliar with that but feel like it is not over 8 miles from a road.

OzJacko
01-28-2013, 07:55
No restraunts on trails down here but I had lunch here once!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaWCTZDJvH6pihOWcnoEge5YtiD-uXXu9GKTb-yvw9aY5XLuAK

yellowsirocco
01-28-2013, 08:01
...Lake of the clouds? or Carter Notch on the AT? (or Whitehouse landing?)
Lake of the clouds is less than 2 miles from Mt Washington where you have the auto road. Carter Notch has a side trail leading up to it that is in the area of 4 miles. Whitehouse landing has a driveway so 0 miles.

fiddlehead
01-28-2013, 08:02
No restraunts on trails down here but I had lunch here once!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaWCTZDJvH6pihOWcnoEge5YtiD-uXXu9GKTb-yvw9aY5XLuAK

Isn't that the Schilthorn (spelling? )
I had lunch there too.
We hiked up and then it started snowing like crazy and they wanted $50 to ride down on the gondola.
So, we went out into the blizzard and glissaded down on our butts.
Cool place.

Yeah Stehiken is mostly reached by ferry.
It is still a remote restaurant by trail.
And I belive Carter notch hut is more than 7 miles from any road.
Of course lake of the crowds is not because of the Mt. Wash. road.

tdoczi
01-28-2013, 08:21
I had lunch there too.
We hiked up and then it started snowing like crazy and they wanted $50 to ride down on the gondola.
Cool place.

Of course lake of the crowds is not because of the Mt. Wash. road.i

Discounting the presence of the auto road lakes still under 5 miles hiking in from the nearest road. you need to not just think the only trail there is the AT. Same for Carter notch.

And all of this aside still ignores that there's a restaurant in supai that is over 8 miles from the nearest road. Ive been there trust me.

OzJacko
01-28-2013, 08:28
I had lunch there too.
Cool place.

Of course lake of the crowds is not because of the Mt. Wash. road.
Yeah.
The Piz Gloria on the Schilthorn.
There in 1998 with the family.
Kids ordered an icecream each from a menu that had a photo of a tiny ball of each flavour for them to pick a flavour.
They were horrified when they arrived to discover the photos were lifesize!!

colorado_rob
01-28-2013, 09:22
My personal favorite for a remote eating location is Barr Camp on Pikes peak. 6.5 miles and 3800 feet of vertical from the trailhead in Manitou Springs CO. Very limited food choices; 1) spaghetti 2) spaghetti or sometimes 3) spaghetti. But really, I recommend the spaghetti as it is really, really tasty (they also sell freeze-dried meals...). You can spend the night there as well, but you have to schlep up a sleeping bag (the bunks are padded). Another option is to drive to the summit, or take the cog railway train up, then walk down, also about 6.5 miles to Barr camp, eat, sleep, then finish hiking down the next day. Their breakfast is tasty as well: pancakes. Cute little joint, if you get out to CO and are in reasonable shape, stroll on up and enjoy! Fantastic place in the Winter. They have a huge new year's celebration there every year. My wife and I do this Barr camp thing once or twice a year (along with a Pike's Peak climb).

http://www.barrcamp.com/index.php

We also hike by Phantom every spring as part of our Rim-rim-Rim "adventure". Patently unfriendly folks in there, I think it's because we all stink so badly and are totally encrusted with sweat/salt and I think we offend all the City folks that spent mega-$$$ riding down on mules and staying at Phantom. But yeah, their Lemonade sure hits the spot when we're on our way back from the North rim to the South rim.

My son and I sure enjoyed the Schilthorn thing a few years back! All that James Bond merchandise was cool.