PDA

View Full Version : Apple House Shelter

bombayblue
06-07-2005, 11:33
Anyone have any info in this shelter?

I will be starting a 6 week section hike this Sunday and this shelter is tentatively on my list to stay at. I would love some more 411 about the shelter and area.

trip
06-07-2005, 11:39
The Apple House shelter? It's a 6-person thing, with a stream right behind it. There's a road maybe a mile away. The shelter is "clean" and dry, even in rain. The entry is small, so there's not a lot of light inside. It's a fine place to stay, cuz of the water, but don't expect the shelter to be like the Hilton or that one just north of HF.

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 11:43
Just south (1/2 mile or so) of 19E and the first shelter you come to (heading northbound after dropping down off "The Humps". As already mentioned, the door to the shelter is rather narrow as opposed to the typical wide open 3 sided ones. So it darker inside than most. About a half dozen or so decent (flat) tent sites directly in front of and south of the shelter along the stream.

'Slogger
AT 2003

MDSHiker
06-07-2005, 11:52
When I did that section and stayed near the shelter, I hung my hammock along side the creek and slept like a baby. The shelter is as the others have described it. Don't forget that the new trail north of there adds mileage before getting to the next shelter. I'm thinking the next shelter is almost 18m north of there??

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 12:00
Don't forget that the new trail north of there adds mileage before getting to the next shelter. I'm thinking the next shelter is almost 18m north of there??===========================
YUP ...that's correct, the re-route in 2003 starts just a bit north of the crossing at 19E. Makes getting to Moreland Gap shelter a bit more of a stretch but it keeps you from having to hike through the "boggs".

'Slogger

bearbait2k4
06-07-2005, 12:26
There are many acrobatic mice there, lots of graffiti around, and a short, easy walk to the road. I think a lot of locals party here, so just be aware of that.

Sadly, there are no apples there.

MOWGLI
06-07-2005, 12:27

I will be starting a 6 week section hike this Sunday and this shelter is tentatively on my list to stay at. I would love some more 411 about the shelter and area.

Too close to the road for my comfort. Especially considering the many fine options to the south.

bombayblue
06-07-2005, 14:27
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what shape it would be in being so close to the road. If I'm there on the weekend I'll probably skip it and tent it somewhere else on the trail. Thanks again!

Tripod
06-08-2005, 15:59
Was through there weekend before last (5/28/05) and it looked ok. I have a photo on WB here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7574/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Have a good hike.

Footslogger
06-08-2005, 16:05
Wow ...according to your picture they've widened the doorway somewhat. From my memory it used to be just as wide as the steps.

'Slogger
AT 2003

MDSHiker
06-08-2005, 16:54
Hey...you're right!! The door is bigger.

MOWGLI
06-13-2005, 19:35

Update! I went by the shelter on Saturday. 2 Pak was sleeping on the step and said to me "you probably don't want to go in there. It smells like somone has been using the shelter as a toilet."

Plus, the shelter is listed as .5 miles from the road. It seemed more like .3 to me.

wilconow
07-04-2006, 07:29
Plus, the shelter is listed as .5 miles from the road. It seemed more like .3 to me.

agree with that. I couldn't believe how close to the road it is. Doesn't the car noise keep people up at night?

Especially with all the recommendations not to park at 19e, it doesn't seem like the best of ideas to stay there. YMMV

Also, word is that they finished a shelter north of 19e in late May. We finished at 19e, but met a couple of section hikers who said that shelter was nice..wood

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2006, 13:12
Bombay---

Everything folks have told you is correct....there's nothing really wrong with Apple House, except its location. It's too close to the highway (19E) and sometimes attracts the wrong element.

Whether you're hiking North or South in this section, I suggest you try and adjust your schedule so you can overnight instead at Overmountain Shelter instead of Apple House. It is one of, if not THE best-located shelter on the entire Trail and it'd be a shame if you missed it.

(Overmountain is a bit under eight miles SOUTH of Rt 19E; there's also a brand-new shelter that is NOT listed in the 2006 Guidebooks, Mountaineers Shelter, several miles NORTH of 19E. There are also tenting/camping possibilities if you don't feel the need to stay in a shelter).

Lone Wolf
07-05-2006, 15:08
Needs to be torn down. It's just an old dirty building with piles of crap all around it.

Spock
07-05-2006, 17:53
Everyone else has given you relevant information, so I'll give you the irrelevant lowdown. The Applehouse is an old powder house from a nearly quarry. The powder house is where they store explosives. Powder houses are constructed to self-destruct easily so they don't contain and intensify the explosion. You can scare your fellow campers with the idea that the shelter was constructed to disintegrate. Of course, the trail club that installed it also reinforced it so it is not as delicate as it had originally been, but you don't have to tell your companions that. Tell it well enough and you may get the whole dark, gloomy, mouse infested place to yourself.

Tennessee Viking
06-25-2007, 19:42
Applehouse is a good place to stay if Mountain Harbor B&B is full up. But just to let you know, Apple House up to Bear Branch Bridge is known party spot. So every once in a while, when coming down from Roan/Hump, you will catch some yocals drinking up and having some fun.

Also, for section/day hikers, don't park your car at the trailhead. It has become a known vandalism spot.

The water source southbound of the shelter is reliable. But the water closer down to the road and across the highway is heavily polluted. Lots of trash and oil/antifreeze jugs.

wilconow
06-25-2007, 21:27
Applehouse is a good place to stay if Mountain Harbor B&B is full up. But just to let you know, Apple House up to Bear Branch Bridge is known party spot. So every once in a while, when coming down from Roan/Hump, you will catch some yocals drinking up and having some fun.

Also, for section/day hikers, don't park your car at the trailhead. It has become a known vandalism spot.

The water source southbound of the shelter is reliable. But the water closer down to the road and across the highway is heavily polluted. Lots of trash and oil/antifreeze jugs.

I can see why you say it's a good place to stay! :D :-? :confused:

Tennessee Viking
07-03-2007, 15:15
It is usually used by hikers that do the Roan Trek all at once or on hot weather days. I wouldn't recommend staying there by yourself.

If your the camping type, there is Doll Flats a mile and half southbound of Apple House. Its a nice camping area with both open and shaded spots.

Northbound of Applehouse, there are a few spots. There is Jones Falls area on a blue blaze passed the Campbell Hollow Road crossing. But this also an area that yocals like to visit, especially horse riders and ATVers.

Elk River section is a very good area to camp. There is a large camping area at the river bend. Then if you jump off trail using a maintainence trail going towards Elk River Big Falls, there is a huge grassy area along the river next to a forest road.

The Eastman Club is in process of rerouting the AT from Bear Branch up to Walnut Mtn Road. At the current, a few local residents are not hiker friendly and abuse the trail due to the close proximity to a number of private property. The club is planning a re-route that could by-pass this.

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2007, 23:24
New water pipes in at the Apple House stream and up at the Doll Flats spring

The Mechanical Man
08-21-2007, 01:36
As I recall, I slept in my tent 100 feet from Applehouse shelter 3rd week in August 2005, and was thankful for the reliable water from the source not far away.
I had hiked south from Moreland gap shelter that day, the relocation made a tough day longer, it was a very dry year, and the first time I was hiking ALONE.

bonnermc
09-12-2007, 23:09
Is there a place to park at Elk Falls and Cut through to the AT. I am trying to do a sectional weekend from Carver's gap North. Not sure where to park the second car or the best way to make arrangements for return trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gaiter
09-12-2007, 23:25
19e is a problem area especailly for parking cars, but there is a b&b/hostel www.mountainharbour.net check w/ them but i do believe they have a small fee and you can park your car and they offer shuttles (also for a small fee), but mary and terry are the nicest couple, and they make a killer breakfast, not much further from apple house shelter

Appalachian Tater
09-13-2007, 00:17
That restaurant they'll take you to up the road is pretty good, too, large portions of steak and big baked potatoes and good prices. And the goats are lots of fun. I never knew that female goats have horns.

Nearly Normal
09-13-2007, 03:47
Nasty place.
Better if it's raining and cold.

Elk River Falls is close by. Best looking swimming hole I ever saw.
Too cold when I was there.
Tall falls, big round pool, great long rock to walk out on in the middle of the pool.
Next to a nasty residential area. Old bed springs and crap in the yards. It's a surprise when you get to it.

Nearly Normal

Gray Blazer
09-13-2007, 06:50
Set up your tent on Big Hump. Just not in a storm.

bonnermc
09-13-2007, 12:47
Thanks for the information.

The Solemates
09-13-2007, 14:48
19e is a problem area especailly for parking cars, but there is a b&b/hostel www.mountainharbour.net check w/ them but i do believe they have a small fee and you can park your car and they offer shuttles (also for a small fee), but mary and terry are the nicest couple, and they make a killer breakfast, not much further from apple house shelter

no need to pay to park at mountain harbour. you can park for free at the little store less than a mile down the road on the TN side. just tell the owner your plans.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2007, 21:44
If planning to swim at Elk River Falls, be careful. There has been a number of recent deaths at the falls due to stupid people jumping from the cliffs or swimming under the fall current. The Avery County Sherriff Office has taken upon themselves to often patrol the falls, and will give swimmers a hard time, and they are trying to get Pisgah to close off the falls to swimmers.

Kerosene
11-05-2008, 10:49
Stay at the Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel instead, 0.3m west from the 19E trailhead. This shelter is too close to the road on a heavily used trail up to Hump Mountain.

Christus Cowboy
11-06-2008, 15:28
.......If your the camping type, there is Doll Flats a mile and half southbound of Apple House. Its a nice camping area with both open and shaded spots.......

When I did this section, I avoided the Applehouse shelter because I had a friend tell me that it was a hangout for the party crowd. We stayed at Doll Flats instead and found the area to be great spot.... the only issue we had was an ATV that was driving through our camp in the middle of the night......

Haiku
11-07-2008, 01:37
When I hiked through in '04 there was someone staying semi-permanently in the shelter. I hit it in mid-morning, but I wouldn't have stayed in the shelter. I'm sure he was harmless, but I still wouldn't have stayed there.

Haiku.

Teatime
11-07-2008, 03:47
I agree with LW, its a hovel and should be torn down.

Marta
11-07-2008, 07:38
Sure, it's kind of a dive, but I spent an excellent, very cold, December night there, not bothered by mice, bugs, or partying teenagers. The shelter has its uses.