PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Thru-hike Gear List!

AT Lady
01-28-2013, 00:35
Hey there! I'm starting my thru on March 16 and was hoping to get some advice on any last minute adjustments to my gear list. My sleeping bag is pretty heavy but it's something I have had and don't really have the money/desire to replace. As far as the first aid kit, it will include the following: ibuprofin, mole skin, medical tape, immodium, duct tape, gauze, neosporin, and some electrolyte tablets.

Gear

Weight (oz.)

Description

Backpack

Osprey Aura 50

Pack Cover

Sea to Summit

Stuff Sack (4L/8L)

1.1/2.4

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack

Stuff Sack (Sleeping Bag)

Sea to Summit eVent Dry Sack

Tent

MSR Hubba

Sleeping Bag

North Face Hotlum (20°)

Sleeping Pad

Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus S

Base Layer Top

Patagonia Capeline 3 Crew

Base Layer Bottom

Patagonia Capeline 3

Down Jacket

Patagonia Down Sweater

Rain Jacket

Patagonia Torrentshell

Pants

(?)

Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pant

Socks (x2)

Darn Tough Micro Crew Cushion

Warm Hat

Outdoor Research Wind Pro Hat

SS Shirt

North Face Reaxion

LS Shirt

GoLite Manitou Longsleeve Hiking

Underwear (x2)

Exofficio

Shoes

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2

Camp Socks

Smartwool Medium Crew

Gloves

North Face Apex

Stove

MSR Pocket Rocket

Fuel

MSR IsoPro Fuel

Cooking Pot

Snow Peak 700

Spoon

Snow Peak Titanium Spork

Water Bottle

Gatorade 32 oz.

Water Bladder

Platypus 2 L

Water Treatment

Aquamira

Trekking Poles

Black Diamon Ultra Distance Z Pole

Headlamp

Petzl Tikka XP 2

First Aid Kit

(?)

Knife

Evolution 10 Swiss Army Knife

Guidebook

The AT Guide (half)

Cord/Rope

(?)

50 feet

Toiletries

(?)

Cell Phone

iPhone 5

Charger

(?)

Total

Please let me know what you think!

RETCW4
01-28-2013, 10:28
AT Lady,

I am bringing an iPhone 4 and to charge it I am bringing an iGO power extender.
http://www.igo.com/powerxtender-charger/invt/ps002640004/

Tumbleweed

Praha4
01-28-2013, 10:47
AT Lady

list looks pretty good overall. A couple suggestions:

-- probably need some kind of gloves starting in mid-March
-- suggest bringing some lightweight rain pants, Dri-Ducks make some inexpensive rain pants if you don't wan to put out the money for a nice pair like Golite Tumalo rain pants. You'll likely be in some cold, wet days with temps in the 30s-40s daytime.
-- If it was me, I'd bring a few bandaids in that first aid kit. Easier than gauze/tape for small scratches, scrapes, which can easily get infected on the trail.
-- no toothbrush, dental floss? camp soap? Dr Bronners or similar?

great choice on the Golite Manitou LS hiking shirt, I love their hike/run shirts, but they are out of stock!!! u know anywhere they are available now?

good luck have a great hike!

cliffdiver
01-28-2013, 10:50
http://compare.ebay.com/like/230918746766?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The only one I could find available, if it's your size?

BirdBrain
01-28-2013, 10:55
Great list. I love these lists. I get new ideas every time I see one. One suggestion: Multi-tool better than folding knife. Here is the one I have (leatherman ps4 squirt). Weighs 2oz. Comes with tick removers (pliers).

grayfox
01-28-2013, 11:33
Very nice list--well thought out. Don't depend on your pack rain cover to be perfect. A few ziplocks or grocery bags would help keep the essentials dry if you don't want to use a dedicated pack liner. Try to keep some clothes in your pack that will be warm and dry to wear at night, especially a cushy pair of socks just for sleeping in. I keep mine right in the sleeping bag along with light weight longjohns and a light fleece hat. I can wear them to hike if I have to but try to keep them just for sleeping. A needle and thread for your first aid kit maybe.

I'd be interested to read what you are planning for food.

Have a great hike, grayfox

Odd Man Out
01-28-2013, 14:54
A disposable plastic knife for spreading PB, jam, butter, Nutella, etc... (I don't like when gooey food gets in the hinge of my SAK - plus safer to lick clean)

Sun Hat? I must always have a hat. YMMV

Sensei
01-28-2013, 21:17
List looks good, you could hit the trail without changing a thing and be just fine. That said...

+1 on the pack liner. In a sustained heavy rain a pack cover alone won't keep the contents of your pack dry. A trash compactor bag costs pennies, weighs only a few ounces, and will last half your thru if not more.

First aid kit looks good. One thing to consider adding might be a small bottle of liquid bandage. It performs the duties of bandaids, neosporin, and moleskin and in my opinion it works as well if not better than all of those. It was the single most indispensable thing I carried in my first aid kit, and it went quick because my buddies were constantly borrowing it. :)

You can probably also afford to ditch either the long sleeve or the short sleeve shirt. I'd ditch the short sleeve because you can push up the sleeves on the other anyway.

Praha4
01-28-2013, 22:29
thanks! much appreciated, it's the size

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230918746766?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The only one I could find available, if it's your size?

ever4ward
01-29-2013, 09:49
Looks great to me as a first time thru hiker. Most gear lists seem to come out at about the same total base weight of 17-19lbs even though there's a big difference in the contents. Right now we have our average pack weight at 16.8 but there will be a few last minute additions. Our biggest advantage is sharing a tent and cook set among 3 people equals a couple of extra luxury items! Good luck on the trail!

AT Lady
01-29-2013, 13:50
thanks for all the help y'all! i am planning on bringing a toothbrush and the like, to clarify. i just haven't totally decided on what to bring so i just put that all in the toiletries category. thanks again!

Buystand
01-29-2013, 15:46
Best of luck with your thru hike! A few of our employees have done it and wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

If you need a few last minute things on a budget, try Buystand (https://buystand.com/) out. We even have sleeping bags if you change your mind about your heavy one ;)

evan_rolltide
01-29-2013, 16:05
I'm trying to plan out my clothing for leaving around the time you are. My question is, say it is cold during the day and you wear your capilene and they get wet or something, do you not have a back up layer to sleep in etc? IS that not really necessary because you just get in your bag?

Drybones
01-29-2013, 16:38
Your list looks good, any comments I might make would be nit-picking. I will say though that a friend who hiked the first four days with me left me with two items that proved very useful, a small bottle of Newskin for blisters (much better than bandaids) and a homemade scoop/filter for getting water from shallow streams or streams with debris floating in the water, it was just 1/2 of a Smartwater bottle with a wire screen in the cap end.

jeffmeh
01-29-2013, 16:58
Best of luck with your thru hike! A few of our employees have done it and wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

If you need a few last minute things on a budget, try Buystand (https://buystand.com/) out. We even have sleeping bags if you change your mind about your heavy one ;)

Nice first post, hawking your website. Geez.

Magic_Rat
01-29-2013, 17:47
For those of you mentioning Newskin / liquid bandages, do you put tape on the blisters after using it, or is the Newskin good enough alone?

Sensei
02-08-2013, 22:29
Put the newskin/liquid bandage on on the morning and then at night if necessary. Make sure skin is clean before applying and let it dry before putting socks and shoes on. I would often put a layer on right out of bed, let it dry as I was packing up, then apply another layer before packing up. If you apply it liberally you won't need tape or bandages of any kind.

Sensei
02-08-2013, 22:31
Oops, drinking and posting sometimes leads to typos... :) You get the gist. Amazing stuff.

john1
02-08-2013, 23:05
hi a t lady i am taking about 30lbs also starting around the same time i wish i could get my pack as lite as yours..don't know for sure if 15th oe end of month. sounds like your pick is ready good luck