PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Additions for Fall Hiking

shorembo
01-28-2013, 11:19
I am planning a Fall hike in Virgina (AT). This will be my first non-summer hike. I am curious about what clothing changes I should make (for both hiking and sleeping). My summer hiking clothes are fairly lightweight and I also did not include any raingear at all. (My total weight without food and water was 15 lbs).

My summer equipment is:

Hiking
- T-shirt (wicking)
- Compression Underwear
- Zipper Leg Pants (lightweight fishing)
- Socks (wicking/running)
- Windshirt (if necessary)
- Shoes (MT 101)
- Hat (Tilly)

Campsite
- T-Shirt
- Fleece
- Thick Socks
- Running Shorts
- Knit Cap

I am from Florida and the last time I camped in 30 degree weather (as a scout leader), I actually shaked and shivered I was so cold.

I really don't want to shiver on this trip, either outside at night or in my tent sleeping while in the middle of nowhere.

And... right now seems a prime time to buy some winterwear...at least based on the spam emails I keep getting.

Thanks for any advice!

MDSection12
01-28-2013, 11:30
I'd say if you added a good base layer, some gloves, and a down coat you'd be fine for the Fall.

bigcranky
01-28-2013, 13:16
First, there's a big difference between, say, mid-September and mid-November in Virginia. When are you going?

For clothing, I'd second the recommendation for a puffy jacket of some sort. I like a lightweight down parka with a hood. Very useful around camp at night and in the morning, and you can drape it over your torso inside your sleeping bag for more warmth. It also makes a great pillow if you don't need it inside the bag.

I'd bring some midweight warm layers, top and bottom. Something like the Capilene 3 or merino wool in a similar weight. These are very useful around camp and for sleeping, and they'll extend the warmth of your hiking pants just sitting around at night. The top could replace your camp t-shirt.

Wind shirt is good for hiking on cold mornings. Of course you'll want rain gear. Depending on the season I take rain pants as well as a jacket. Later in the fall I take two pairs of gloves and two hats, a lighter set for hiking and a warmer set for camp.

fredmugs
01-28-2013, 14:57
I tend to be colder than most also and I recommend a down parka with hood. Bring a bottle you can place boiling water in and stick that in your bag as you're going to bed. I never hike in hiking socks but I bring a pair to sleep in or wear around camp. At least a pair of gloves you can grip poles with. I bring headphones for times I want my ears warm but not a full hat on my head that makes me overheat.

shorembo
01-28-2013, 22:51
Thanks for the responses...my trip is planned for early October BTW...

So....my additional items would be:
1. Rain gear (both tops and bottoms). This is to keep me dry, not warm.
2. A base layer. I assume this is some thermal underwear both tops and bottoms. I have some stuff I used for skiing.
Question: How can I tell if it is good? Is there a big difference in types?
3. Gloves
4. A puffy jacked with a possible hood. This is possibly down or synthetic.
Question: Are there ratings for these things? This is definitely something I don't have.

bigcranky
01-29-2013, 11:22
1. Rain Gear. Um, actually, this is for keeping you warm. You'll get wet either way, from the rain or from sweating inside the rain gear. The shell just keeps you from freezing. Not much rain in early October, but I bring these things every hike.

2. Base layer. I prefer very light base layers, mostly in 150-wt merino wool. The Patagonia Capilene 2 is a good weight as well. Nothing that will keep you warm by itself while sitting around -- this is strictly to transport sweat away from your skin while hiking. Almost any brand will do.

4. Puffy jacket. Take a look at the Montbell line to see the different weights. There's the UL Down Inner, and the Alpine Light, and a couple of others. If you get only one, the Alpine Light Parka is a great compromise. Warm enough for early spring and late fall around here, not too heavy. Something along that line would work.

MDSection12
01-29-2013, 12:04
If you head to JC Penny's this moment, as in right now, then you may get lucky and find they have some puffer coats left. They were blowing them out for $14 a piece. I snagged one and with just that and a t-shirt I was comfortable around 30 degrees. I can't imagine early October getting much below that.

The down idea isn't so much for warmth, it's for lightweight and compressible. You most likely won't need the coat except late at night or early in the morning, so you don't want to be carrying a three pound, basketball sized coat like most ski-type jackets are.