PDA

View Full Version : please review my gear list!

yankeeman1028
01-28-2013, 21:41
Hey guys, I am still a ways away from starting my NOBO thru-hike, but I want to buy my gear and test it out way before I start. I am on a nominal budget, but will splurge on important gear; I already have some stuff I was thinking of using. Could you please read this and comment below about anything in it that you have used or seen? Thanks.

Big Four: total of 8 lbs 2 oz
Pack: Osprey Exos 46: 2 lb 5 oz
Tent: Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout: 2 lb 2 oz
Pad: Thermarest Neo-Air All Season: 1 lb 3 oz
Bag: Kelty Cosmic Down 20: 2 lb 8 oz

Kitchen: total of 1 lb 9.25 oz including fuel, 15.25 oz w/out fuel
Snow Peak Gigapower stove: 3.75 oz
SP GP windscreen: 2 oz
10 cm IMUSA aluminum mug (used as pot): 2.5 oz
DIY pot lid: maybe .5 oz?
GSI Infinity mug: (I love my coffee and tea) 3.2 oz
220 g fuel canister: 12 oz
bic lighter: 1 oz
Light My Fire Spork: .25 oz

Clothes: weight N/A; I really dont know what to bring this is my best guess.
3 pair smartwool hiking socks; 2 for hiking, 1 for sleeping
2 pair ExOfficio boxer briefs
1 pair Columbia quick-dry zipoff pants (already owned)
1 pair military PT shorts (dont mind no pockets)
1 Stoic Merino Crew light wool t-shirt
1 Columbia long-sleeved baselayer
REI midweight long underwear bottoms
LL Bean trail model rain jacket (already owned)
Mid-to-heavy?weight fleece pullover
boots: I really don't know, probably a lightweight trail runner, any suggestions welcome.
baclava or hat? I have big ears. suggestions appreciated.
sun hat

Misc:
First Aid Kit:
NothinZ Breeze clogs for camp and water crossings: 6 oz according to a Backpackinglight forum post
Aquamira water drops
Advil PM
TP
My hiking poles
duct tape
Camelbak 3L water bladder
1L gatorade bottle-probably empty
Guide book: any suggestions?
Cabelas Leatherman knife (used on many camping trips)
Petzl Tikka 2 headlamp
earplugs
sunscreen
toenail clippers
mini toothbrush & travel toothpaste
bug repellent/anti itch cream
compass
watch
cocoon aricore pillow: 2.8 oz (gotta sleep well, I usually need a pillow when camping)

2 lbs food per day, 3L water=6 lbs water

How does that sound? Any advice is welcome, especially about clothes! Thank you for reading this!

swjohnsey
01-28-2013, 22:14
AWOL's guide. Probably don't need compass, leatherman. Swap the camelbak for another Gatorade. You might consider swapping out your raingear for Driducks. 2lbs/day for food is probably pretty close. Normally only carry 1 liter of water. I don't bother with camp shoes, others do. Nothin' lighter than a hole.

yankeeman1028
01-28-2013, 22:41
Thank you for the advice good suggestions!

Smitty846
01-29-2013, 01:18
Johnsey has some great suggestions so +1 on everything he mentioned. I'm just a weekend warrior waiting for the right time to tackle a thru (life happens ha). You have a pretty good list IMO. From one WB newbie to another, one of the best things you can do is create a list at geargrams.com... I also have the exos 46 and I love it. It is possible to shave 5 oz by removing the floating lid and trimming the excess off the straps. I have also found that a 1L smart water bottle works well with the weird but useful exos side pockets. The kelty cosmic is perfectly fine, but if you really want to splurge on important gear upgrade to an 800+ fill down bag or quilt. Either way you need some way to keep your down bag dry, trash compactor bag or dry bag. The dry bag stuffed with extra clothes can double as your pillow. I won't give advice on clothing because I run cold and carry more than most so check out this link: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4. I will say that I have yet to find a beanie or hat that comfortably covers my ears...
Here is the link for my base gear list at geargrams.com (minus clothing and consumables): http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11002

The most important thing I have learned from WB is that the phrase "everyone is different" is an understatement. Hope this helps and best wishes.

yankeeman1028
01-29-2013, 08:04
Thank you for the great suggestions!

10-K
01-29-2013, 08:17
Your list looks really good. Someone else can always offer a critique and suggest changes but there's no perfect gear list.

Carry on. :)

Bucho
01-29-2013, 12:04
You might want to consider a different sleeping bag. 500-fill down is equivalent in weight/warmth to primaloft so you're getting the downside of down but not the upside. Also depending on when you're starting you may be unhappy with a 30 degree bag.

yankeeman1028
01-29-2013, 17:13
thanks everyone! I have decided to get a quality 800 fill down bag instead. I also plan on replacing my rain jacket with a Driducks jacket.