PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Sierra Designs Lightening.

Heater
06-07-2005, 20:20
Just pitched my Sierra Designs Lightening, my newest tent. I love this tent.
:banana :banana
Just a hair over 4 lbs (packed with everything... stakes, guyline... etc...) and LOTS of sit-up room inside and room for all my gear so that it is easily accessable. I'll prolly be able to get it under 4 lbs when I replace the stakes, guy lines and stuff sacks that came with it. I tested it out and I can get it in a 5X15 stuff sack with ease. (minus poles) Ventilation is good.

Does anybody else have one of these tents? Comments?

Bolivershagnasty
06-07-2005, 20:42
Thats what I have Auxtex..just got it this spring and havent had much test in real life rain storm yet but im confident..Took the ground fly with it and it is good for a "bag fly" if nothing else. You'll have to bring the 'bag" in with you to do any good but the trick is set up before rain if you can...I''m happy...

Bolivershagnasty
06-07-2005, 20:47
Great tent but fly is alittle short if you will but worth a solo..note most of the time you really don't need a solo..Make the shelter?,,,I'm waiting on a gully washer here to set it up and spend the night in the back yard to 'see" how well it doe's..

Heater
06-07-2005, 21:22
Great tent but fly is alittle short if you will but worth a solo..note most of the time you really don't need a solo..Make the shelter?,,,I'm waiting on a gully washer here to set it up and spend the night in the back yard to 'see" how well it doe's..
The vestubule is big enough for muddy boots and a couple of packs to fit, I think.

I am flying solo... at least for a couple of weeks. Depends on how she feels 'bout my future hiking plans.:dance

I really don't wanna "sleep" in the shelters. I am hoping I can find a good sight away from the shelter but still close enough to visit.

I gotta 3 day weekend comin' up. Gonna test it out then... Hope it rains! :)

Mother Nature
06-07-2005, 22:26
Smokestack and I just purchased this tent and it arrived today. What a coincidence. I will be doing a SOLO section with it in August and he plans on using it for his 2007 solo thruhike.

Like everyone here, waiting for a good rainstorm to try it out.

Mother Nature

Heater
06-08-2005, 01:16
Smokestack and I just purchased this tent and it arrived today. What a coincidence. I will be doing a SOLO section with it in August and he plans on using it for his 2007 solo thruhike.

Like everyone here, waiting for a good rainstorm to try it out.

Mother Nature
Another coicidence. Smokestack is the name I have been using for a few years on a forum like this relating to BBQ. :)

Footslogger
06-08-2005, 09:12
Looks very similar to the REI Half Dome

'Slogger
AT 2003

jeepcj258
06-08-2005, 10:29
I went with the Half dame. About 1lb heavier and about half of the price. I have been very pleased with the half dome. I pack the rainfly and foot print (3.75lbs packed) and I love it.

God Bless
Seth