PDA

View Full Version : Good zero day schedules?

ConstableCuffe
01-29-2013, 17:25
Me and my buddy are trying to figure up a new zero day pattern to keep. We were considering a 1 for 10 pattern. Anyone have any thoughts?

SCRUB HIKER
01-29-2013, 17:34
Go with the flow on zeros. Get a feel for when to resist their seductive advances, know when to succumb and bask in their gentle glory.

The only time I ever planned for them was if I knew I was about to bust out a long hard section (the Whites, or the Smokies) and my friends and I promised ourselves a zero at the end (Gorham, Hot Springs) to give us a little something to reach for. Otherwise, no planning is needed. For what it's worth, I think on the whole they're more expensive and less interesting (i.e. the towns aren't as neat) up North than down South.

burrito
01-29-2013, 18:09
zeros in the woods are a lot cheaper than in town and more restfull
,as far as planning them, i think you will know when you need one.
i have noticed a tendancy with people to try to control every aspect of their hike, even their days off.
schedules, in my opinion, are for working people;)

Lone Wolf
01-29-2013, 18:18
Me and my buddy are trying to figure up a new zero day pattern to keep. We were considering a 1 for 10 pattern. Anyone have any thoughts?

NO schedules on a long hike. they don't work

flemdawg1
01-29-2013, 18:58
Just do what you need to do (groceries, laundry) then what you want to do (movies, AYCE, veg in hotel, water park/rafting).

Starchild
01-29-2013, 19:03

+ 1

Peace

swjohnsey
01-29-2013, 19:15
Most folks like to take care of business on a zero like eat, do laundry, eat, buy groceries, eat and repair gear. Did I mention eat? This is alot easier in towns. Town don't come on a schedule.

MuddyWaters
01-29-2013, 20:13
I think you should take a zero when you need one.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2013, 20:15
I think you should take a zero when you need it.

or want it

Leanthree
01-29-2013, 21:04
Depends on the weather as well.

Spirit Walker
01-29-2013, 21:08
Sometimes it has to do with when you arrive in town - if you arrive early in the day, you can walk a few miles in to town, do all your chores, eat a couple of meals plus some ice cream, and then either leave or spend the night in town as mood, weather, and finances dictate. Sometimes you'll arrive in the afternoon and you may not have time to do all the things you need to do that day, so you'll stay a second to finish up and get some rest. One problem with town days is they aren't necessarily all that restful. Sometimes you'll want to do something non-trail related - like go to a movie, or go rafting or visit DC or NY. It may be that you take a day off because a partner needs something shipped to them, and you have to wait a day or two. Sometimes you'll want a zero because the weather is miserable, either really cold, wet or hot and humid. Sometimes you want to take a zero, or a second zero, because of physical problems (blisters, chaffing, tendonitis, stomach upset) and sometimes just because you're tired. I found on all my hikes that I tended to take more zero days in the beginning, when my body was getting used to the trail, and fewer in the second half as I got stronger and more used to the lifestyle. As the weather got better, I was also more likely to go in and out of town quickly and spend a little more time resting by a lake or stream.

Bottom line, don't plan your zeroes now, let the circumstances you encounter on the trail tell you when it's time for a break. Until you're there, it can be hard to know how much time you will want to spend in town. A lot of people think they'll never need days off, until they experience several days of rain/snow/sleet or extreme heat. You don't know how much you'll find yourself needing to eat to rebuild your reserves, or how important getting a break from the daily grind will be. So don't worry about it now.

Creating a schedule can be a good way to learn about the trail, but once you are actually on the trail, chances are you'll throw it out, because trail reality will force changes. When I hiked, I found that I could actually hike more miles than I planned each day. So, while I took more days off than I ever imagined, I also ended up finishing my hikes sooner than expected. It balances out, as long as you don't have too ambitious a schedule.

Papa D
01-29-2013, 21:12
I suggest Neros vs Zeros most of the time because you get about the same rest and get some miles too: Example, wake at camp / shelter, walk 6 miles to town, have lunch, get hostel / room, do laundry, shop, grab beer, dinner, sleep - out in the morning - - you still booked between 1/2 and 1/3 of your typical day without much effort - - 2 to 3 hours in the morning.

Full Zeros during the week at shelters (when the weekenders are not around are fun - -true living in the woods - - cook some good food - - make some art, play some music - - a creek for swimming doesn't suck either.

jj2044
01-29-2013, 21:35

He is 100 percent right, dont plan much beyond the next day..... you will enjoy it alot more.

Malto
01-29-2013, 22:30
While I would agree with not doing a schedule for a thru hike under normal circumstances, many of the comments around not being able to have a schedule is not universally true. I was within a day or two of my thoroughly laid out schedule at all times and finished within hours of my target. However, unless you are very experienced, there is little chance that you will know when you need or want a zero. One factor not mentioned is if you hike with a group there could be incredible pressure to take a zero just to stay with a group. One other point..... You may find that zeros are for everyone. I very likely would not take a full zero if I were doing another thru. Half mile neros were more than enough to meet my needs without getting restless.

doobe01
01-29-2013, 22:41
The only thing I have planned is my start date. I plan to just let the trail dictate my days off for me. Can't wait to get on the trail. March 15th can't come soon enough.

stranger
01-30-2013, 08:01
I've always liked doing something like 25-30 miles into town, then take a zero the next day. Still get a day off, still get the mileage in. Neros are great, camp just before the road, then head into town early the next day.

All my hikes are based on 6 day weeks, so a 1-7 ratio, I find this works out on average.

ConstableCuffe
01-30-2013, 08:19
To be honest we would have never thought of doing neros. Really like that idea. Also glad to know we can be quite relaxed on how we do it. Thanks guys :)

leaftye
01-30-2013, 08:39
I find it almost impossible to keep a schedule that's more than a few days out.

prain4u
01-30-2013, 13:52
Go with the flow on zeros. Get a feel for when to resist their seductive advances, know when to succumb and bask in their gentle glory.

The only time I ever planned for them was if I knew I was about to bust out a long hard section (the Whites, or the Smokies) and my friends and I promised ourselves a zero at the end (Gorham, Hot Springs) to give us a little something to reach for. Otherwise, no planning is needed. For what it's worth, I think on the whole they're more expensive and less interesting (i.e. the towns aren't as neat) up North than down South.

Excellent points. I agree. (Especially the sentence that i highlighted).

You have to resist the temptation of taking too many and too often (if you intend to make any progress). However, our bodies need some rest if they are going to perform at their peak. Sometimes, the period of time between zero days will vary slightly--depending upon terrain, pack weight, number of miles hiked per day (and what you are facing in upcoming days).

Monkeywrench
01-30-2013, 15:27
Excellent points. I agree. (Especially the sentence that i highlighted).

You have to resist the temptation of taking too many and too often (if you intend to make any progress). However, our bodies need some rest if they are going to perform at their peak. Sometimes, the period of time between zero days will vary slightly--depending upon terrain, pack weight, number of miles hiked per day (and what you are facing in upcoming days).

I remember how glorious it was to get into town and check into a motel, take a hot shower, eat all you can stuff into your body, do your town chores, then lie back on the soft bed motionless and watch mindless TV. Pure heaven.

Then the next morning I'd wake up and I couldn't wait to get back out on the trail. Pure heaven as well.

Osiris
01-30-2013, 16:04
So, branching off a bit, how many zeros should one plan for? I know we said not to try to plan them and I understand that we can't predict what will cause a zero day but when planning, there's that word again, how many should we allow ourselves in order to reach our goal of a thru hike? I have given myself roughly 21 zero days? Sound like too mugs sitting around? I don't plan on using them all but wanted to ensure I had them for repairs, rest and the like.

flemdawg1
01-30-2013, 16:51
Well 21 would be roughly one every 100 miles. Major towns would fall out like this
Franklin, NC
Gatlinburg, TN (Maybe skip and go on to Hot Springs, NC)
Erwin, TN
Dennis Cove/Hampton, TN
Troutdale,VA (Damascus is back at 463.5)
Bland or Pearisburg, VA
Daleville, VA
Lexington, VA
Elkton VA (Swift Run Gap, smack in the middle of SNP) Probably just get a room at one of the lodges, if available)
Harper's Ferry, WV
Boiling Springs, PA (might consider keep going to Duncannon)
Port Clinton, PA
DWG
Peekskill, NY
Salisbury, CT
Bennington, VT
Rutland, VT
North Woodstock , NH
Andover, ME
Stratton, ME
White House Landing

IMO it might be abit much especially when you get trail legs and start banging out 20+ mile days. But definately for town stops/neros.

The Solemates
01-30-2013, 18:22
our zeros averaged 1 in 16 days, but we are probably the exception. we did have a 6-8 neros sprinkled in with those though.

Malto
01-30-2013, 19:04
Here's the problem with planning a certain number. All of your assumptions about daily mileage are likly counterfeit. You may find that you do higher mile days and want or/and need more zeros. Likewise you may find that you are behind and need to turn zeros into Nero to keep on track. I would look at a few journals of hikers that do about the same total duration as your plan. Look to set a couple of checkpoints like "get to Harpers Ferry by June 1st.". Track against those checkpoints and make your decisions on the fly. You are going to learn so much early on that will allow you to make better decisions on the trail than you can make now.

evyck da fleet
01-30-2013, 19:36
I agree withthe poster who said unless you have thru hiked before, it's really difficult to plan for one. In reality you are planning a series of section hikes from resupply points and don't have many decisions to make. The first is where is your next resupply point goping to be and how much food do you need to get there. The next is once you get within a day's hiking distance of your next resupply point and you have to decide whether to 1) stop short and go in the next day 2)hike into town, run your errands and hike out, 3) hike in, spend the night and leave the next day which opens up a bunch more options or 4)hike in and spent a zero or multiple zeros.

As for trying to plan specific zeros, I wouldn't unless you are planning to take a break from the Trail to meet family and friends or go into NY, DC etc. I also wouldn't try to plan them because you may find a nero just as helpful. Let the zeros come naturally. If you listen to past thru hikers or section hikers you run into on your hike, they'll tell you where good places to resupply and zero are.

Trying to plan an entire thru hike will give you more insight into the Trail before you start but it's also a little like trying to plan what you are going to eat for dinner and at what time for the six months after you complete your thru. I'm sure it can be done, and somewhat accurately and some people may be able to stick to the plan but wouldn't you rather leave your options open.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2013, 20:04
just take 6 months to walk the thing and take days off when you want. you'll get to maine. maybe. most likely not though

brian039
01-30-2013, 21:02
I took a fair amount of zeros, if I had it to do over again I would have taken more well-planned neros and saved lots of money. Camp less than 5 miles from town then get up early and hike in. Then leave late the next day. It's practically a zero but you save money by not staying the extra night in town.

handlebar
01-30-2013, 22:03
I took a fair amount of zeros, if I had it to do over again I would have taken more well-planned neros and saved lots of money. Camp less than 5 miles from town then get up early and hike in. Then leave late the next day. It's practically a zero but you save money by not staying the extra night in town.

+1 to this, or get up at 6 and reach town by 9am. Do your laundry and shop for resupply, hit the library, have a restaurant meal then head out of town. Saves the motel bill or hostel contribution. BTW, don't stiff the hostel operators. Be sure to make a contribution. Once in a while, when I've found myself with extra food, I've taken a zero in the woods. Very relaxing as there's nothing to do.

prain4u
01-31-2013, 02:43
When it comes to zeros and neros, Forrest Gump pretty much sums it up nicely (especially the highlighted section at the end of this quote):

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run (hike). So I ran (hiked) to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run (hike) to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run (hike) across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run (hiked) this far, maybe I'd just run (hike) across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran (hiked) clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran (hiked) clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go...you know... I went."