PDA

View Full Version : 4-Day Hike in NC/TN

RGB
01-29-2013, 19:12
Hey all, my gf will be coming from England to visit early April and is really excited to set foot on the AT. At the most, we'll have four days to hike in and back out. I'm trying to think of moderate to mildly strenuous walk between Roan Mountain and Damascus with good viewing points, factoring in a safe place to leave the car. Any ideas?

flemdawg1
01-29-2013, 19:39
Carter's Gap to Damascus might be a good 4 day trip for you. Not sure of the mileage though.

Papa D
01-29-2013, 19:45
If you want to be on the Appalachian Trail for sure, I would suggest the "Roan Mountains" - - Mountain Harbor Hostel would shuttle you from near Elk Park, NC back to the Nolichucky River in Irwin, Tn - this would be about 50 miles exactly, if that's too much, you could go back to Iron Mtn Gap which would only be 30 miles. Here is Mountain Harbor's website:

www.mountainharbour.net

you could also contact 10K on this site - he provides shuttles around Irwin, TN

bigcranky
01-29-2013, 19:48
Carver's Gap to Damascus is ~85 miles, if I remember correctly. Might be a bit much for a 3-night hike if they aren't already in excellent trail shape. (Carter Gap is down near Standing Indian.)

Going the other way, my favorite section is from Grayson Highlands to Damascus, coming south on the trail. Starting at Fox Creek makes it about 40 miles, and you get to go over the Virginia Highlands with wild ponies, open balds, etc., then hike through Whitetop Laurel Creek canyon. Great section. Makes a decent 4 days, or start at Massey Gap for a ~32 mile version.

It will still be the tail end of winter anywhere in the Southern Appalachians, just FYI. Happy trails.

Papa D
01-29-2013, 19:52
Carver's Gap to Damascus is ~85 miles, if I remember correctly. Might be a bit much for a 3-night hike if they aren't already in excellent trail shape. (Carter Gap is down near Standing Indian.)

Going the other way, my favorite section is from Grayson Highlands to Damascus, coming south on the trail. Starting at Fox Creek makes it about 40 miles, and you get to go over the Virginia Highlands with wild ponies, open balds, etc., then hike through Whitetop Laurel Creek canyon. Great section. Makes a decent 4 days, or start at Massey Gap for a ~32 mile version.

It will still be the tail end of winter anywhere in the Southern Appalachians, just FYI. Happy trails.

I think that the Roans would be more exciting - - I like the section between Elk Park and Damascus mainly because of Kincora and Hampton, TN - - the hiking is pretty easy but not really that spectacular until you get past Damascus around Thomas Knob and the Highlands, IMO