PDA

View Full Version : TN/NC in mid May?

scurley
01-30-2013, 01:05
My sister is completing her Masters at ETSU this year and her graduation will be May 11. I have a bunch of vacation time and already have to be in TN, so this is a great opportunity to do a section hike. Anyone who has hiked this area in May your input on what I can expect for weather and crowds would be appreciated. Have not settled on a beginning and end point but I thought the most logical would be Fontana to Hot Springs and I would have 7 days. My sister can drop off and pick up any where within reasonable driving distance from Johnson City. Thanks!

daddytwosticks
01-30-2013, 08:20
My favotite time of year down here. Fresh green leaves on the trees. Comfortable daytime/nighttime temps. Long days. Minimal bugs.....:)

bigcranky
01-30-2013, 08:59
Perfect time of year. Gorgeous.

tnvarmint
01-30-2013, 09:09
As the others have said you picked a great time of the year to come to the area. The biggest problem I see is that from Johnson City to Fontana you are looking at a 2 and half to three hour drive each way. If you are wanting to do a section hike with Johnson City being your central point, I would look at something like Carver's Gap to Damascus, VA. That's roughly a 90 mile trip. This would also put you in Damascus around trail days. Anyways just my thoughts. I hope you enjoy your time here in Northeast TN. We love our mountains up here!

Tennessee Viking
01-30-2013, 09:34
From Johnson City, you will have a number of trailheads to explore. Devils Fork Gap to TN91 @ Osborne Farm within an hour hour drive before you start getting into long drives. You can also hit up a number of Backcountry spots that can also connect with the AT. Another hour or so drive you can get to Standing Bear, Hot Springs, and Damascus area trailheads

For crowds. Mid May is the height of the NOBO crowd as they are coming into Damascus for Trail Days.

Train Wreck
01-30-2013, 09:50
My favotite time of year down here. Fresh green leaves on the trees. Comfortable daytime/nighttime temps. Long days. Minimal bugs.....:)

+1 very good summary!