PDA

View Full Version : Living out of a VW Bus

StylinLP38
01-30-2013, 12:00
If you do a search for "Living out of a VW Bus" Or VW Westfalia in YouTube you will see entire series of video's of guys that live out of a VW Bus. Some are basically homeless and live out of Starbucks and World Gyms (Wilson!) and others with money travel from campground to national parks all along the cali coast thru cali, oregon, washington and down thru texas. Then there is this one guy. He is a Trail Runner. He stays for a week or two at a National Park or campground system and Trail Runs every trail in the area. Then he moves on to the next mountain hiking area. He only has about 10 video's and the last is of him trying to sell his electric guitar and amp lol.

Of all the people posting video's of their life style only one kept it up until the end of 2012. No one knows what happened to him yet. Last heard he was taking a break at his moms house lol.

Has anyone heard of doing something like this and hiking the AT? It looks to me that sleeping in a Camper Bus is like a 5star resort compared to a shelter along the AT!

Slo-go'en
01-30-2013, 12:32
Several people have had vans or RV's follow them up along the trial - usually the spouce drives the vehical.

I lived out of my chevy van for a while - does that count? After about a month, the Forest Service put up "No camping" signs at my favorate spot while I was away at work.

jbwood5
01-30-2013, 12:35
If you do a search for "Living out of a VW Bus" Or VW Westfalia in YouTube you will see entire series of video's of guys that live out of a VW Bus. Some are basically homeless and live out of Starbucks and World Gyms (Wilson!) and others with money travel from campground to national parks all along the cali coast thru cali, oregon, washington and down thru texas. Then there is this one guy. He is a Trail Runner. He stays for a week or two at a National Park or campground system and Trail Runs every trail in the area. Then he moves on to the next mountain hiking area. He only has about 10 video's and the last is of him trying to sell his electric guitar and amp lol.

Of all the people posting video's of their life style only one kept it up until the end of 2012. No one knows what happened to him yet. Last heard he was taking a break at his moms house lol.

Has anyone heard of doing something like this and hiking the AT? It looks to me that sleeping in a Camper Bus is like a 5star resort compared to a shelter along the AT!

I'm sure its been done before by day hikers, but you have to go out and back and then find a new place to park as you move up the trail (kind of a PITA).
I had a situation on the BMT in the GSMNP a couple of years ago where I had to abandon a backpacking trip (due to equipment failure). I continued the trail by doing out and back day hikes and for 2 nights, slept in the back of my mini-van (Grand Voyager with no rear seats) while parked off of Straight Fork Rd. Yes, it was very easy, but the inside of the vehicle picks up body stink after a couple of days and it takes several days to get rid of it.

BTW, no rangers came up that road to run me off and their were other vehicles parked at the Balsam Mtn trail head, as well.

I often sleep in the back of the van (instead of paying for a motel) when traveling on multi-day trips to get to the trail. I just sleep for a few hours at the Interstate rest stops. I've never had a problem. It's just minimalist car camping :)

StylinLP38
01-30-2013, 12:40
Something tells me that once I finish, if I finish, when I finish in Maine, im going to visit all the long lost relatives in Vermount and New Hampshire. Mom took us kids away when we were 12 so its been a long time. Really curious to see if Brattleborrow and Keene New Hampshire is the same. Maybe there is IT jobs there lol. Be kinda neat to continue my wandering after the AT in a VW camper Bus. Westy :)

atmilkman
01-30-2013, 12:46
If I'm not mistaken there was a gentleman that was doing a NOBO/SOBO (AT) last year at the same time while sleeping in his car. I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Maybe some of the WBer's can update on this.

StylinLP38
01-30-2013, 12:47
Found him on youtube. This is the guy that does trail running over an area then moves on while living in a VW Camper Bus. name is LoneWolfTrailRunner (http://www.whiteblaze.net/user/LoneWolfTrailRunner?feature=plcp)
http://www.youtube.com/user/LoneWolfTrailRunner

Alligator
01-30-2013, 12:56
I've used my Westy for section hiking, but not as a base camp. It's great for getting to the trail head late, it's a guaranteed camp. Sometimes we do a car drop or I might catch a shuttle the next morning.

atmilkman
01-30-2013, 13:01
The guy I'm talking about was doing it out of his car. He had the passenger side converted over to a bed. He would start out from where his car was parked then hike north a certain distance turn around and hike back to his car. He would either stay there that night then move the next morning to where he had hiked to and do it again. Or he would move the car that night to where he stopped and do the same thing or he would move further than where he stopped hike south to where he left of then back north to where he parked. He was fairly flexible in his style.

StylinLP38
01-30-2013, 13:16
Ya, I read other posts, probably by you about this guy. I think it was also mentioned that it took a lot longer to complete the At this way. I'm not against camping out at shelters, hostels and tent. I just was thinking of it as a continued way of life. Rather than go back to that hole in the wall cube farm job.

BTW, there is also other youtube video's of guys that work remotely out of their VW Camper bus or an RV. One is a stock broker and another is a Medical billing processor. I used to do Estate Sale hunting. Kinda like "American Pickers". But you need a garage for storage and shipping so that wouldn't work. Unless you specialize in tiny things like costume jewelry or watchs lol

max patch
01-30-2013, 13:24
If I'm not mistaken there was a gentleman that was doing a NOBO/SOBO (AT) last year at the same time while sleeping in his car. I haven't heard anything about it in a while. Maybe some of the WBer's can update on this.

PJWetzel. He is on this site.

Ya, I read other posts, probably by you about this guy. I think it was also mentioned that it took a lot longer to complete the At this way.

Keep in mind that even though you are just dayhiking this way with a light pack, you are going twice as far. Its a double thru hike.

jimmyjam
01-30-2013, 13:34
Not for hiking, but in my freshman year in college one of my buddies lived in his VW van in the commuter parking lot. lol.

bronconite
01-30-2013, 13:36
Ya, I read other posts, probably by you about this guy. I think it was also mentioned that it took a lot longer to complete the At this way. I'm not against camping out at shelters, hostels and tent. I just was thinking of it as a continued way of life. Rather than go back to that hole in the wall cube farm job.

BTW, there is also other youtube video's of guys that work remotely out of their VW Camper bus or an RV. One is a stock broker and another is a Medical billing processor. I used to do Estate Sale hunting. Kinda like "American Pickers". But you need a garage for storage and shipping so that wouldn't work. Unless you specialize in tiny things like costume jewelry or watchs lol

This may be of some interest to you. http://www.cheaprvlivingforum.com/

Gray Blazer
01-30-2013, 13:59
http://survivedoom.com/blog/65-bug-out-vehicle-check-list#.UQldQaEg-n4
I have a BOV (I'm sure a lot of others here have one also).

There are tons of places on or near the AT to camp for free. Here's one of my Faves in 10k's neck of the woods (Unaka Mountain Road).

rhjanes
01-30-2013, 14:23
Seeks It, 2012 trail journal. He did a YO-YO thru hike, never spending a night on the trail
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12720

And "Van Dwelling" at Duke University, he's also a hiker and is hiking that proposed pipeline for a trail. He lived in the van to graduate with his masters, while incurring NO debt.
http://www.kenilgunas.com/

Monkeywrench
01-30-2013, 15:20
Really curious to see if Brattleborrow and Keene New Hampshire is the same. Maybe there is IT jobs there lol.

My family is from Brattleboro and surrounding areas in south-eastern Vermont, though I was born in Connecticut. Brattleboro has turned into a hip, young town. Lots of coffee shops and book stores and the like. Sam's, the downtown store where my grandmother used to take me to buy underwear and winter socks, is now Sam's Outdoors and sells yuppy outdoor wear. Which isn't to say that I don't like Brattleboro; I do, a lot.

I have a cousin that moved out of Brattleboro because "there are too many people." Ha!

Odd Man Out
01-30-2013, 15:20
There are plenty of "full timers" who buy a giant RV when they retire and live in it full time, traveling all over the country. Seems what you describe is sort of the "tarp-tent" version of a full timer.

peakbagger
01-30-2013, 18:05
There was a retired engineer about 10 years ago from California who did a thru hike using a somewhat larger RV. His wife dropped him off in the AM and met him in the evening. He hiked with a irish setter and always carreid a backpack with enouhg gear to overnight

Hosaphone
01-31-2013, 01:56
BTW, there is also other youtube video's of guys that work remotely out of their VW Camper bus or an RV. One is a stock broker and another is a Medical billing processor.

Back when online poker was a more viable option in the US, I knew a guy who traveled around in a van camping, hiking, and playing poker via free wifi or over 3g.

Bronk
01-31-2013, 06:23
I met a guy on the trail who said he had been living in a van for the last 23 years and was on his 3rd van. He travelled the country and would get temp jobs...he'd buy a health club membership so he'd have a place to shower.

Sly
01-31-2013, 09:33
There are plenty of "full timers" who buy a giant RV when they retire and live in it full time, traveling all over the country. Seems what you describe is sort of the "tarp-tent" version of a full timer.

Under employed or part-timer?

I met a guy on the trail who said he had been living in a van for the last 23 years and was on his 3rd van. He travelled the country and would get temp jobs...he'd buy a health club membership so he'd have a place to shower.

Places with nationwide facilities like Planet Fitness and the YMCA would be good, as well as Elk and Moose clubs.

I had a few VW vans including a Westy back in the 70's and traveled quite bit. The problem with them is they sucked for power and heat. The past few years I have a Grand Caravan with a sleeping platform behind the drivers seat that been around and treated me well.

JAK
01-31-2013, 10:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyVs_766S4
A look back at the future.

JAK
01-31-2013, 10:19
Better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFYcai1vK0

StylinLP38
01-31-2013, 11:52
I believe that guys name is Kyle Pounds. He is staying in his Moms house right now for some reason. He has that soccer ball that he named "Wilson" with sunglasses on it. He hangs out at Starbucks and World Gyms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kylepounds

Hosaphone
02-01-2013, 00:18
Found him on youtube. This is the guy that does trail running over an area then moves on while living in a VW Camper Bus. name is LoneWolfTrailRunner (http://www.whiteblaze.net/user/LoneWolfTrailRunner?feature=plcp)
http://www.youtube.com/user/LoneWolfTrailRunner

I believe that guys name is Kyle Pounds. He is staying in his Moms house right now for some reason. He has that soccer ball that he named "Wilson" with sunglasses on it. He hangs out at Starbucks and World Gyms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kylepounds

Wow, good stuff in these videos.

This was pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpvqrhjp854
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpvqrhjp854)

evansprater
02-01-2013, 00:31
I'm moving back into my Ford Explorer tomorrow. nice big bed area in the back, got a queen size memory foam mattress topper that fits perfectly. **** rent!

Hosaphone
02-01-2013, 00:36
**** rent!

I agree... I see this in my future, at least to some extent.

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 00:41
I agree... I see this in my future, at least to some extent.

Are you planning on hiking the trail this year?

Hosaphone
02-01-2013, 00:44
Are you planning on hiking the trail this year?

Next year, I hope, if all goes according to plan!

HikerMom58
02-01-2013, 00:50
Next year, I hope, if all goes according to plan!

OK... I know I've seen you around talking about hiking but I couldn't remember exactly the deal!! Good luck with all that.

daddytwosticks
02-01-2013, 08:21
Living out of a van and hiking the AT. Sounds like a retirement plan, especially the way the economy is going. :)

JAK
02-01-2013, 09:09
One of these would be good on mileage. I would put a winch on the front bumper in case it fell into a pothole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOvTSspYms

JAK
02-01-2013, 09:11
Maybe recharge this with solar and wind while you are hiking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiC8_FntBRg

JAK
02-01-2013, 09:15
Make some money on the side as a motivational speaker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoM0FyLmGY

evansprater
02-02-2013, 22:23
Seriously, though, the concept of "rent" baffles me. And how so many people mindlessly pay it every month even more so. Kind of like war too. And pretty much almost everything about modern society. Computers are cool though. Call me a hobo. But... At least $500 of my paycheck every month goes to living and enjoying life.

JAK
02-02-2013, 22:53
Sorry, you are still a vagrant. You have to be at least 40 to be a hobbo. ;-)

aficion
02-02-2013, 22:57
Living out of a van and hiking the AT. Sounds like a retirement plan, especially the way the economy is going. :)

Great plan. My plan too. Can't wait.

aficion
02-02-2013, 22:59

Hobbo= Hobo hobbyist.

JAK
02-02-2013, 23:33
Good one. Don't know why I keep misspelling it.

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 00:31

Several people have had vans or RV's follow them up along the trial - usually the spouce drives the vehical. - Slo-go-en

This shouldn't sound strange to you unless you've been living in very small world. People of different economic, social, etc backgrounds routinely spend time traveling around the U.S. and in other places living out of a VW bus, RV, mobile home, etc. You are aware of RV campgrounds aren't you? Many of them are full with people living out of the mobile homes, sometimes for yrs at a time.

Yes, I knew of A German AT thru-hiker who traveled and hiked with his spouse along the entire AT out of a VW Westphalia bus. Neither were homeless, whatever that means to you. It's just the way they decided to organize their thru-hikes. Pretty cool people too

MuddyWaters
02-03-2013, 02:27
Ski bums used to live out of the VWs. Finding places to park overnight was tough in some resort areas.
Wake up in morning to find 1/4" ice coating the windows. On the inside that is.
I know someone that slept in a car in Co one night, and told me that at some point didnt think they were going to survive. Was too cold to start motor even.

I had a storage unit once I kept a 4 wheeler in when I lived in an apartment. The guy with the storage unit next to mine used to show up everytime I was at mine it seemed. He changed clothes. I figured he was living out of his car. He put on suits and stuff.

Ive known a few that lived at their hunting camp for a while when got divorced . $1000 per year lease fee, and they lived in their camp or travel trailer.

More than one way to avoid high rent.

Hosaphone
02-03-2013, 13:33
Wake up in morning to find 1/4" ice coating the windows. On the inside that is.

That's one thing that seems like a concern to me... Condensation. Coating the windows seems like just the tip of the iceberg of problems it could cause. You really don't want all that moisture getting into your insulation and stuff, and making everything moldy and rotten. Somehow people must deal with this? But you probably don't want to just open the windows when it's 0F outside...

Biggie Master
02-03-2013, 13:52
I've been following this site for several years... http://tinyhousetalk.com/ Very appealing.

Hosaphone
02-03-2013, 14:29
I've been following this site for several years... http://tinyhousetalk.com/ Very appealing.

I've been reading that site for the past few days as well. Even if you live in a van, seems like it would be ideal to have a place to call home base. Get like 2 acres land, put a tiny house on it, no loans or mortgage required. Put in a well, put up a solar/wind system, put fruit/nut trees on half your land, use the other half as a woodlot.... One can dream, right? :D

JAK
02-03-2013, 14:59
Teardrop trailers are pretty cool. When your replace the vehicle you still have the trailer. I saw a modern factory made one recently when I was at a stop on the I95. Traditionally they are DIY and intended to be more mobile than the Tiny House concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GbeG4hKrU

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 15:33
I'm moving back into my Ford Explorer tomorrow. nice big bed area in the back, got a queen size memory foam mattress topper that fits perfectly. **** rent!

Better be careful waking and sitting up too fast. Might get a bump or cut on the noggin. If I come across someone named Evansprater with a bruise on their forehead I'll know it's you and you've been using the Ford as home base.

Seriously, though, the concept of "rent" baffles me. And how so many people mindlessly pay it every month even more so. Kind of like war too. And pretty much almost everything about modern society. Computers are cool though. Call me a hobo. But... At least $500 of my paycheck every month goes to living and enjoying life.

How nice it is to be young and naive, in a good way though.

LOL. C'mon JAK. Let's stop destroying this young man's dreams. Only kidding Evanspater. You got room in the back of the Explorer fro me when I visit?

Another Kevin
02-03-2013, 15:39
That's one thing that seems like a concern to me... Condensation. Coating the windows seems like just the tip of the iceberg of problems it could cause. You really don't want all that moisture getting into your insulation and stuff, and making everything moldy and rotten. Somehow people must deal with this? But you probably don't want to just open the windows when it's 0F outside...

The engineer in me wonders whether some sort of heat-recovery ventilation could be designed to dry the thing out. Of course, now, someone's going to tell me there's a packaged product for the purpose.

Dogwood
02-03-2013, 15:46
Evansprater, I got Ramen and trail mix to contribute for my stay. Little spot in the corner of the back of the Explorer isn't too much to give up for some Ramen and GORP is it? C'mon, if we are going to avoid these BS wars we have to learn to coexist and help each other. Let's seek solutions, not war. Hey, I got some Mexican friends who need a place to stay too. They also have Ramen and lots of rice and beans. They work hard too. Never know when you need your truck washed or flat tire changed. Do you like hummus and having the Koran read to you? I also have a few Middle Eastern aquaintenances that are looking for a discreet place to crash for a while.Could work if you work it.

Hosaphone
02-03-2013, 15:52
Teardrop trailers are pretty cool. When your replace the vehicle you still have the trailer. I saw a modern factory made one recently when I was at a stop on the I95. Traditionally they are DIY and intended to be more mobile than the Tiny House concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GbeG4hKrU

Pretty cool. Not stealthy at all, but I don't think I would like the "urban vandwelling" thing anyways - rather not live in a parking lot... Gotta be better to park it in woodsy/private areas and then bike to your job, grocery store, etc.

evansprater
02-03-2013, 17:20
Better be careful waking and sitting up too fast. Might get a bump or cut on the noggin. If I come across someone named Evansprater with a bruise on their forehead I'll know it's you and you've been using the Ford as home base.

How nice it is to be young and naive, in a good way though.

LOL. C'mon JAK. Let's stop destroying this young man's dreams. Only kidding Evanspater. You got room in the back of the Explorer fro me when I visit?

Please explain this naivete to me.

Definitely room though. My buddy and I lived in the back of the thing for 3 months in southern california. Right now it's just me, always room for one more! hah!

evansprater
02-03-2013, 17:21
Evansprater, I got Ramen and trail mix to contribute for my stay. Little spot in the corner of the back of the Explorer isn't too much to give up for some Ramen and GORP is it? C'mon, if we are going to avoid these BS wars we have to learn to coexist and help each other. Let's seek solutions, not war. Hey, I got some Mexican friends who need a place to stay too. They also have Ramen and lots of rice and beans. They work hard too. Never know when you need your truck washed or flat tire changed. Do you like hummus and having the Koran read to you? I also have a few Middle Eastern aquaintenances that are looking for a discreet place to crash for a while.Could work if you work it.

lmao i dont even know how to respond to that. yes. that is all. lol

Sly
02-03-2013, 17:46

Paying rent instead of living in the back of an Ford Explorer?? At least I have a couple sliding doors! :p

evansprater
02-04-2013, 13:54
At least I have money in my bank account.

ZING!!

:P

kidding.

MDSection12
02-04-2013, 14:46
Of all the things I pay for in life, a roof over my head is one I pretty pleased with. :-?

At least I have money in my bank account.

ZING!!

:P

kidding.
The trick is to have a roof over your head and some money in the bank. They are not mutually exclusive. :p

Hosaphone
02-04-2013, 15:25
The trick is to have a roof over your head and some money in the bank. They are not mutually exclusive. :p

Loads of people live paycheck to paycheck, though, with the majority of their paycheck going to pay for that roof. Some people are paycheck-to-paycheck because they're idiots and can't budget, but a lot just have low paying jobs and are barely staying afloat.

I think it's important to always be saving up money. You never know when you'll get randomly ****ed out of the blue - medical problems making you unable to work, etc. Happens to people all the time. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but living out of a vehicle seems like one potential option that could allow you save more money and actually live more comfortably (financially at least) depending on your personal needs and wants.

Most of us on this website enjoy walking through the woods and sleeping in tents/under tarps for long periods of time, so this doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. Heck you can even get "running water", AC, a TV, etc, hooked up :p

aficion
02-04-2013, 15:33
Seriously planning to live in my little truck and knock around the country for a few years after my thru. Not out of hardship either. I can't wait!

Spit Walker
02-04-2013, 15:43
"Thru Livin" the Life Trial

Spit Walker
02-04-2013, 15:44
Trail.....I mean

aficion
02-04-2013, 15:46
Trail.....I mean

Probably both.

evansprater
02-04-2013, 16:13
Loads of people live paycheck to paycheck, though, with the majority of their paycheck going to pay for that roof. Some people are paycheck-to-paycheck because they're idiots and can't budget, but a lot just have low paying jobs and are barely staying afloat.

I think it's important to always be saving up money. You never know when you'll get randomly ****ed out of the blue - medical problems making you unable to work, etc. Happens to people all the time. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but living out of a vehicle seems like one potential option that could allow you save more money and actually live more comfortably (financially at least) depending on your personal needs and wants.

Most of us on this website enjoy walking through the woods and sleeping in tents/under tarps for long periods of time, so this doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. Heck you can even get "running water", AC, a TV, etc, hooked up :p

Exactly, and at $8 an hour, even at 40 hours a week, I prefer to live almost just like I did on the trail. It's more fun and exhilarating that way anyways. I can afford to eat salads and fruit now too! Weeee!

Hopefully buying an RV soon. Check out hiketilyourehigh.wordpress.com, I'll be writing about my car-lifestyle on there.

Dogwood
02-04-2013, 17:31
I was only trying to lighten things up Evansprater, picking on you a bit. Seems like you are easy going so it didn't bother you too much. Throw a few back at me when you get the chance.

mfleming
02-04-2013, 17:33
I need to buy a VW bus:)

The Old Boot
02-04-2013, 17:38
I need to buy a VW bus:)

Buy a full size van instead, they have much more room than a VW ever had.

Add a high topper on it for standing room and design your own interior.

evansprater
02-04-2013, 22:47
I was only trying to lighten things up Evansprater, picking on you a bit. Seems like you are easy going so it didn't bother you too much. Throw a few back at me when you get the chance.

Haha, I know man. No worries. Watch your back. :P

cooldude
02-06-2013, 03:25
I have not lived out of a bus but sounds very interesting. Not that I want to cut corners but I like the idea of having so many interesting experiences and the possibility of meeting different people.

Sly
02-06-2013, 03:45

I posit everyone that works lives paycheck to paycheck.

Hosaphone
02-06-2013, 04:06
I posit everyone that works lives paycheck to paycheck.

Do I misunderstand?

"Paycheck to paycheck" is generally understood to mean a situation where expenses=income so no money gets saved. Or someone who relies on their next paycheck to pay bills off, and if they don't get that paycheck the bills won't be able to be paid. People in this situation can have things fall apart very quickly if they get injured, fired and can't find another job, etc.

This is pretty scary, actually:

More than two-thirds of Americans are now living paycheck to paycheck, according to a survey released on Wednesday by the American Payroll Association. The survey of 30,600 people found that 68 percent said it would be somewhat difficult or very difficult if their paychecks were delayed for a week.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/living-paycheck-to-paycheck_n_1899685.html

JAK
02-06-2013, 05:31
What is worse is our civilization now depends on people living paycheck to paycheck. Otherwise we would not do most of the idiotic things we do, or put up with the other idiots we put up with, or buy the crap we buy. We could just walk away, but we don't. And we wonder why welfare bums and heroine addicts don't just walk away. It will crash, eventually, and then the next we generations will rebuild the same old mess all over again.

The only solution is to walk away, consider it all just, environment. But it's hard when your friends and family won't go with you.

JAK
02-06-2013, 07:59
Best to meet the world half way.

Sly
02-06-2013, 09:00
Do I misunderstand?

"Paycheck to paycheck" is generally understood to mean a situation where expenses=income so no money gets saved. Or someone who relies on their next paycheck to pay bills off, and if they don't get that paycheck the bills won't be able to be paid. People in this situation can have things fall apart very quickly if they get injured, fired and can't find another job, etc.

This is pretty scary, actually:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/20/living-paycheck-to-paycheck_n_1899685.html

How many people do you know bank their entire check? While you may be in a position to save some, most goes towards bills and obligations. Without a check coming in it would take long to eat up any savings.

Hosaphone
02-06-2013, 13:47
How many people do you know bank their entire check? While you may be in a position to save some, most goes towards bills and obligations. Without a check coming in it would take long to eat up any savings.

Well I guess a lot of my friends are in high-tech jobs so most of them are doing fine...

I think the secret is to keep living as a college kid for as long as you can tolerate. Just because you "can" afford a nicer car or bigger apartment, doesn't mean you should. I have one friend who makes 100k+ but is a stingy tipper and always whining about money because he bought a fancy car, big house in a nice area, and has a wife who doesn't work. Another friend makes 30k, eats rice and beans, lives in a tiny apartment in the hood, doesn't have a car, saves boatloads of money. If that friend who makes 100k bought a smaller house, a used car and lived like the friend who makes 30k, he'd save up enough to retire in like 5-10 years... But as his income increased, his expenses also increased because of the choices he made.

Median personal income is something like 25-30k/year for people over the age of 25. As a childless, non-working-spouse-less person, that's plenty to cover cost of living and put a good chunk away. When you start chasing the "American Dream" of owning that house in the suburbs, 3 kids+college, 2 cars, etc, things start to get unrealistic. I guess it's kind of a sad situation and that lifestyle is getting to be further and further out of reach for the average person... But it is what it is.

Somebody posted on here, "you can have anything you want in life, but you can't have everything." I dunno.

JAK
02-06-2013, 15:13
Things are getting worse, but with the price of gas not sure living in a motor vehicle is the answer, unless maybe you put a horse in front of it. During the Great Depression these were called Bennet Buggies in Canada, after the Prime Minister. I'm sure they had them in the U.S. also.

Hosaphone
02-06-2013, 16:31
Theoretically, ideally, you might find a spot to park long-term-ish and then commute to job by bike, motorcycle or horse. One advantage of a house on wheels would be having a bit more control over your commute, so long as your job doesn't involve driving all over the place.