PDA

View Full Version : Pending NH legislation re SAR funding

rlharris
01-30-2013, 14:08
The NH legislature is considering a bill HB 256 that would result in all subjects of Fish and Game search and rescue assistance being charged for services rendered. The bill also includes an insurance program to offset costs of search and rescue assistance, and an exclusion for some beneficiaries (hunters, snowmobilers, etc.).

The bill is currently scheduled for a hearing this Thursday, January 31, at 2:30 in the Legislative Office Building (LOB) Room 307, in Concord, NH.

I urge all to read the bill,

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2013/HB0256.html

to consider its certain and its potential (perhaps unintended) impacts, and to participate in the legislative process. This whether you support or oppose the bill. It is expected that there will be testimony at the hearing from citizens who have little experience of winter hiking or climbing, for instance, and no experience of volunteer search and rescue. It would improve the legislative deliberations vastly if people with relevant experience participated.

(Moderator, not sure this is the best forum for this information. Please move it if there is a better place. This information was forwarded to me by a search and rescue group in NH).

moldy
01-30-2013, 14:11
I suppose they will have to change out all the New Hampshire license plate to "PAY UP OR DIE"

jbwood5
01-30-2013, 14:22
At least it is voluntary (your choice). Probably not a bad idea. Is it cheaper to buy a fishing license.... or a safe hiker card? It looks like they serve the same purpose for waving the SAR costs.

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 15:24
I suppose they will have to change out all the New Hampshire license plate to "PAY UP OR DIE"

That is kind of a kneejerk response. I understand the sentiment. We are being nickeled and dimed to death.
The problem is rescues cost real money that someone has to pay for. It is not an easy issue to fix. Extreme viewpoints claim easy fixes.
One extreme is everything should be afforded to me with at expense to me.
Another is to say if they can't pay, leave them there.
Another is to try to spread the cost to everyone.
Another is to volunteer to help to reduce costs.
The OP is looking for reasonable and experienced minds to attend and offer balanced solutions, not cliches.
Hopefully, those in the area will hear that call.

Another Kevin
01-30-2013, 17:04
No longer being a NH resident, I'm not qualified to influence NH's political process.

My former experience doing volunteer work there was that I had to pay for my own training, supply my own gear, and insure myself against accidents. Given those constraints, I'd be seriously annoy to find the state charging for my services!

I think that anyone who does testify at hearings from the point of view of a backcountry user or rescuer would do well to enter the position paper of the Mountain Rescue Association (http://www.mra.org/images/stories/docs/MRAChargePosition.pdf) in evidence. There is also a collection of anecdotes collected by the Colorado Search and Rescue Board (http://www.coloradosarboard.org/csrb-documents/Refusing%20SAR%20Help.pdf) of subjects endangering themselves and rescuers because they feared financial ruin if they accepted rescue.

I'd also encourage cross-examination of proponents of charging, asking what fraction of SAR costs are incurred in pursuing Alzheimers patients who have wandered off, and potential suicides who have disappeared. In most states, these account for most of the SAR callouts. Are demented old people and victims of depression really the people we want to pursue for cost recovery?

This is a bill coming from politicians whose response to the public outcry over charging Scott Mason for an unnecessary SAR is to double down.

fcoulter
01-30-2013, 17:13
Would the costs be covered by other SAR insurance, such as the optional insurance that you can get from SPOT? If so, no reason to get double coverage.

rickb
01-30-2013, 21:04
Might as well charge motorists a police detail fee for directing traffic around a fender bender.

Or a heart attack victim for the gas in the rescue truck.

Grammie Bear
01-30-2013, 21:59
If the rescue squad, which owns the wagon that transported a rescued Alzheimer's patient, can bill Medicad and/or insurance, why shouldn't the location/extrication of that patient also be billable?

Sarcasm the elf
01-30-2013, 22:13
No longer being a NH resident, I'm not qualified to influence NH's political process.

You're more than qualified, regardless of residency. They would do well to study what effects, of any, this proposal would have on their flow of visitors and tourism revenue BEFORE passing any legislation.

Might as well charge motorists a police detail fee for directing traffic around a fender bender.
You can joke, but NYC has proposed an "accident fee" surcharge in the last couple of years and it may have actually passed.

Another Kevin
01-30-2013, 23:58

Or a heart attack victim for the gas in the rescue truck.

They do charge motorists for the police and fire response to accidents. http://www.npr.org/2011/03/08/134265786/crash-tax-more-bust-than-boom-for-many-cities http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/06/06/12087242-drivers-insurance-companies-rebel-against-crash-tax?lite