PDA

View Full Version : My gear list

Jetpack
01-30-2013, 20:22
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoat7WF4cdPNdE5oWUdVYkwzZ1JjYktvR3FERnRQS VE#gid=1

I still have a few holes to fill. Did I miss anything big? I'll be starting in the beginning of March. I'm mostly worried about being too cold. I'm a pretty warm sleeper so I'm hoping I brought enough clothes. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks! :banana:banana:banana

Scotto
01-30-2013, 20:46
Have you done any test runs? Set up your tarp and climb under your quilt for a night that gets down to 20 degrees. How did you feel? A 20 degree low is likely and 15 is possible. Only you know your limits, but that isn't enough warmth for me.

mountain squid
01-30-2013, 21:10
Some observations:

40f bag will not be warm enough in Mar
something additional to hold water
consider hydration system for drinking on the go
stove
pot
eating utensil
sunscreen
ear plugs
companion/at guide

Concur with Scotto. It will be cold . . . and a 40f bag will not likely be sufficient.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Tundra
01-30-2013, 21:34
This looks like a very well thought out list. I agree, with everyone else. I think you should add a warmer bag or try a bag and quilt combo. I use a 35 degree down bag and a 38 degree synthetic quilt combined with a silk bag liner. It's a very versatile system that has proven very warm. I think the umbrella is overkill, when combined with poncho, and nylon top and bottoms.

Tundra
01-30-2013, 21:40
You list your groundpad at 4.8 oz. But, manufacturer list at 9oz. Did you cut it down?

slims
01-30-2013, 21:44
There's a guide book there under "Miscellaneous" mountain squid.

No cookset? Going stoveless?

1L of water carrying capacity isn't enough. You're going to want more than that. 4L is a well accepted average. Two 1L bottles and something like a 2L platypus works well. Not sure if you're planning on taking the bags that come with the squeeze.

Clothing seems light for an early March start. A thermal top to go with the thermal pants would be ideal, a down jacket too. That REI fleece can only do so much. I doubt that 40F bag will be warm enough. I'd recommend starting with something warmer and swapping out to the 40F bag in summer.

Other than that it's a solid list. Like Tundra said, you could probably do without the umbrella since you have the nylon shell. I'd say you could do without the nylon pants as well but that's more of a personal preference.

handlebar
01-30-2013, 21:54
I'm assuming you haven't yet bought the items with prices attached. If you have, then just ignore the alternates I suggest. What you have looks pretty good.

I took a Tilley Hat, but that went home quickly. A bandana tied over the head served as sun protection until the trees leafed out. After that most of the hike is in the shade of the long, green tunnel. I wore the bandana the whole way. (On western trails, a brimmed hat is a must.)

Great tent!, but didn't notice a ground sheet. This tent has netting floor. You'll want something to put on the ground. When you sleep in a shelter you'll want something to put under your pad and bag. Recommend a piece of Tyvek. Also some foam ear plugs for when you sleep in a shelter or at a hostel.

You probably won't need the head net on the AT (you would if this is for a PCT or CDT hike). You might want a small bottle of 100% DEET somewhere along the line.

One needle with an eye big enough for dental floss is all you need.

The 40degree quilt will be fine from Shenandoah to Glencliffe NH (assuming you're planning a nobo starting in Mar or Apr). For the start and end of the hike, I'd recommend a 20 degree bag. If you can swing the bucks and don't mind a tight bag, I'd recommend Western Mountaineering Ultralite (+20F) with a silk liner. You can sleep in the silk liner in the hotter months an pull the opened up bag over you during the night if it gets chilly. Also I'd recommend a ultralite dry sack for the sleeping bag. It can hold your food bag if you hang it in a tree during rain. Didn't see any bear bag line.

Since you are bringing a cell phone charger, I presume you're carrying a phone. If it's a smart phone, you can journal and make notes on it, then copy and paste to an online journal if you keep one. I kept my iPhone off unless I was on a mountain top and making a call. At night, I used the notepad feature in airplane mode. I did have a supplemental battery (Mophie Juice Pack). If you have such a setup you can leave the notepad behind.

If you haven't yet bought the headlamp, Princeton Tec makes a neat headlamp that takes only 2 AAA batteries and has red, low white, and high white. Quite a bit lighter. It's important to have a red light option so as not to blind folks when you come late to a shelter.

I take it you don't use hiking poles, whence the carbon fiber pole for the zpacks tent. You might want to reconsider. As I recall, almost everyone, even youngsters with good knees like you, wound up using trekking poles. If that's the case for you, then you won't have any hands free to hold the umbrella.

Thermal pants probably not needed. While hiking you'll be plenty warm in shorts. When stopping jump in the sleeping bag to stay warm. Shell pants probably not needed. If they are for rain, consider a rain wrap: lighter and cheaper.

Sandy of PA
01-30-2013, 22:22
He has the Poncho/groundsheet listed. Umbrellas are great when it is too hot for a jacket or you want to make some shade, I always bring and use one. It looks like his additional water bottles are the full set of Sawyer squeeze bags by the weight listed. His shelter is the Z-packs tarp so the bugs are going to get him and he is gonna freeze!

cliffdiver
01-31-2013, 01:09
General cussedness...every time, but the suggestions and opinions are still great.

Jetpack
01-31-2013, 15:16
Thanks for the responses!

I had planned to use the shell jacket and pants mostly just as wind breakers. The umbrella would be for for general light rain, and the poncho if it was rainy and windy at the same time.

I read somewhere that people usually carried 2L of water on them between water sources on the AT. I figured I could keep the 1L bottle full, plus the 2L sawyer bag. I can always pick up another bottle though if I need to.

I'm definitely worried about staying warm. I was hoping to offset the lack of insulation in the bag with just more clothes that I could wear while sleeping. I'm thinking of adding a thermal top too. That plus the fleece, thermal pants, 2 pairs of socks, gloves, balaclava. I'm a warm sleeper so I hope that will be enough. I could bring a down jacket too, but it's waterproof like my shell jacket and I don't want any of my gear to overlap in function. I could ditch the shell jacket and bring the down jacket instead. That would be a lot of warmth. Maybe overkill? I'm in the California Bay Area so I really can't test it properly. Curse this moderate weather!

I need still need chord to hang my food bag. I'll add that.

I was going to go no cook just for the simplicity. I've experimented at home and I know I can take a cold diet for at least a few days. I guess if I end up totally jealous of other people with stoves, that's something that I can remedy at my next stop in town.

Everything that doesn't have weight is just stuff that I don't have yet. I have pretty much all the big stuff except for a few pieces of clothing. I still need to put together all that miscellaneous stuff.

Jetpack
01-31-2013, 15:18
Oh and as far as hiking poles go, I'm actually going with no poles because I have bad wrists (wrist tendonitis). Hopefully that doesn't put me at a huge disadvantage. That's the reason I'm trying to put together such a light pack, to save my knees in the absence of hiking poles.

treesloth
01-31-2013, 15:31
Jetpack - late winter season cold snaps on mountain trails have killed people. I wouldn't 'reason away' not getting a better rated bag for an early March start. You may want to take to heart what these very experienced people are telling you.

evan_rolltide
01-31-2013, 15:42
And eating cold meals at home is one thing, getting out of the tent on cold mornings a hot meal or drink would really help alot... Alcohol stoves can be made at home in 15 minutes.

Jetpack - late winter season cold snaps on mountain trails have killed people. I wouldn't 'reason away' not getting a better rated bag for an early March start. You may want to take to heart what these very experienced people are telling you.

Hipcheck
01-31-2013, 15:55
Cat food can, 300ml single wall titanium mug.. Won't take up much room, weighs next to nothing(except the alcohol)..

The warm meals are nice sometimes. That being said, I still went stoveless in VA..

"Atlas"
01-31-2013, 16:14
Someone mentioned ear plugs......a very lightweight and cheap item that makes people like me more!

mountain squid
01-31-2013, 16:17
I'm definitely worried about staying warm.Then you should be heeding the advice already given about a 40f bag in early Mar. Otherwise be prepared to shell out alot of money for a warmer bag once on the trail . . . (which will limit your choices and probably be more expensive . . . )

I was hoping to offset the lack of insulation in the bag with just more clothes that I could wear while sleeping.Your sleeping bag should be able to handle the temps that you routinely expect. In Mar and Apr you should be expecting temps in the 20s and the 30s, with maybe a few in the teens and maybe a few in the 40s. Expecting additional clothing 'to offset the lack of insulation' could be a huge mistake. All it will take is one very cold night to determine whether or not that'll work. And if you have several more very cold nights ahead, what will you do? Not to mention if your clothes get wet and all you have is your 40f bag . . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Jetpack
01-31-2013, 20:00

I guess originally I figured I could deal with being a little cold for a few nights if what I brought wasn't warm enough, just until I could get into town and replace/buy more gear.

But if the general consensus is that I could actually be getting myself into a dangerous situation then that certainly changes things. I'll definitely consider switching out my bag. At the very least I've already changed my mind about not carrying a stove. I'm going to go try and make one of those cat food alcohol stoves right now and see how that goes for me.

Would adding a sleeping bag liner, maybe silk or fleece, be a viable option? At least that way I wouldn't have to buy a whole new bag.

slims
02-05-2013, 16:57
Nah a silk/fleece liner isn't gonna make a 40 degree bag as warm as a 20 degree bag

evan_rolltide
02-06-2013, 14:03
I hope this is alright but I was looking for some input on my updated list as well so I will share here.... I have been told before my clothing is too much but for an Early march start I would rather have too much than not enough.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o73/emsmith42/Screenshot2013-02-06at120012PM_zps0c20e9ed.png