PDA

View Full Version : Windbreaker?

ceiling
01-30-2013, 20:49
Hello,
This may be a stupid question, who knows. So i had this idea of using a normal trashbag as a wind break for my hammock. Either somehow attaching it to the outside or even laying it in the inside. Then just hop in your sleeping bag over top of the trash bag. any thoughts or concerns? im super cheap, and am looking for a cheap way to stay warmer in my hammock. I know the wind sucks the heat right out of you.

Thanks in advance!

leaftye
01-30-2013, 20:53
It wouldn't breathe, but neither to camping mattresses. Insultex doesn't breathe well either, but people are using it for their bottom quilts. Putting it between your bottom quilt and hammock will mean the heat will still get knocked out of your quilt, but that won't be a factor if you're using a pad instead of a quilt.

BigBlue
01-30-2013, 21:08
I think you might have problems with condensation and a wet sleeping bag.

ceiling
01-30-2013, 21:16
hmm. even if it was somehow strapped to the outside? like in place of a uq.

mark jer
02-04-2013, 07:12
The trash bag might be noisey

leaftye
02-04-2013, 08:06
Have you considered a hammock sock?

prepcore
02-04-2013, 21:45
2qzq has an underquilt protector made for stopping the wind from hitting your bottom. Might want to check them out http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

ceiling
02-04-2013, 22:39
Im just looking for a cheap/ light solution. hammock socks costs to much! :)

leaftye
02-05-2013, 01:10

Make your own. Habotai silk from Dharma Trading is light and costs much less. You'd need to do some sewing, but there's no reason it needs to be pretty, so even crude sewing skills would be good enough.

Kerosene
02-05-2013, 12:19
Even if it met your initial objective, I wouldn't expect it to last for more than a few nights of wind and wear & tear.

bannerstone
02-05-2013, 13:29
Space blankets make a good field expedient under quilt protector that is reusable and the cost is only a couple bucks.

David

ceiling
02-05-2013, 15:22
Sweet deal! Thanks guys. Im going to look into making my own and/or the space blanket.

scope
02-05-2013, 15:30
Hello,
This may be a stupid question, who knows. So i had this idea of using a normal trashbag as a wind break for my hammock. Either somehow attaching it to the outside or even laying it in the inside. Then just hop in your sleeping bag over top of the trash bag. any thoughts or concerns? im super cheap, and am looking for a cheap way to stay warmer in my hammock. I know the wind sucks the heat right out of you...

Sounds to me like you're not understanding the issue... you need insulation, not wind protection, although wind protection can assist. Cheapest way to stay warm is with a pad. Next, keeping the wind down should be possible by configuring your tarp the right way, and choosing the right site.

leaftye
02-05-2013, 15:33
Keep in mind that habotai silk isn't the only, and it may not be the best option. Take a look at the uncoated 2nds from backwoodsdaydreamer, nanoseeum, and the sub 1 oz fabrics at titaniumgoat.

Nanoseeum might surprise you. It's mesh, but it stops air enough that lots of hikers won't use it for a head net. It might be just enough to keep you warm. Plus you can use it to stop bugs in warmer weather. I think the other solid fabrics would be a much better choice for winter use though.

leaftye
02-05-2013, 15:36
ceiling, will you be using an underquilt?

scope
02-05-2013, 15:43
ceiling, will you be using an underquilt?

I got the distinct impression that he was not asking about protecting the UQ, but the hammock in order to stay warm. Looks like most everyone that replied assumed he meant the UQ. Hope I'm wrong, but most folks wanting a "cheap" option aren't ones that have already forked over for an UQ.

gunner76
02-05-2013, 21:23
A couple of night of CBS and he will be willing to get an UQ

Pendragon
02-05-2013, 21:51
After reading everything I could get my hands on concerning hammocks, AND these forums, I decided an underquilt was more of a necessity than a luxury, and saved up my pennies accordingly. My Superfly will deal with the wind, I hope.

encryptme
02-06-2013, 06:33
Just carry an extra quilt!

nitewalker
02-06-2013, 06:41
sounds like to much work to me. sleep on the ground and wind becomes less of an issue but if u must lie high then pack the extra layer and a good under pad to negate the windchill factor.

prepcore
02-15-2013, 00:26

Its just a quilt protector that goes on the bottom of your hammock. Much different and much less expensive than a sock at around $35.

TheYoungOne
03-08-2013, 13:11
I had a theory once about a cheap and easy underquilt for the summer. I was goung to get a cheap walmart fleece sleeping bag liner, cut the bottom corners off and just run shock cord in one big loop and use a toggle for adjustment. I figure fleece would keep you warm and breath, and if you need more warmth and wind protection, you can slide a barrier like tyvex, or a mylar survival blanket, or even stuff things into the bag like a Clarks hammock.

I might try it this summer.