PDA

View Full Version : Rain protection for your pack?

tnvarmint
01-31-2013, 11:18
I am just curious but does anyone use dry sacks for all their gear and not use a rain cover or trash compactor bag? For example, all your clothes in a dry sack, bag/quilt in a dry sack, etc. I am thinking of going this route and wonder if anyone else does it or has done it. Does it work or not?

Stink Bug
01-31-2013, 11:23
I am just curious but does anyone use dry sacks for all their gear and not use a rain cover or trash compactor bag? For example, all your clothes in a dry sack, bag/quilt in a dry sack, etc. I am thinking of going this route and wonder if anyone else does it or has done it. Does it work or not?

I don't care for dry sacks as they compress the contents and just make bricks which doesn't utilize the space very efficiently. My preferred method is to line my pack with a contractor bag and put my quilt, food, tent etc inside that. My clothes (spare socks, beanie and insulation jacket) I pack loosely inside a mylar turkey roasting bag. and that goes at the top.

leaftye
01-31-2013, 11:45
They're so expensive. I'd consider it if I made my own. It's be oversized to hold all my insulation gear, have a one way valve, and use thinner fabric.

The main reason I'd consider one is the valve. I find it a bit annoying that my pack liner bag wants to open when I compress my pack.

Drybones
01-31-2013, 11:47

I used dry bags, not only to keep stuff dry but to organize as well, if you just throw everything in your pack it's hard to find things. I did wear a poncho that covered my pack when it rained so very little rain made it to the pack. If wearing a rain jacket instead of the poncho I would use a compactor trash bag in addition to the dry bags, it's very little weight to assure you stay dry.

swjohnsey
01-31-2013, 11:51
Pack covers ain't perfect but they keep alot of the moisture out of you pack. Water is heavy. Check out Zpacks cuben pack covers. They don't cost much more than more conventional ones.

tnvarmint
01-31-2013, 11:55
My main thoughts behind this are like Drybones said for organization. Secondly for summer months I absolutely hate dealing with pack covers and even rain jackets. I thought it would be nice for when a shower came to just keep on trecking and not even worry about it. If everything were in dry sacks in my pack then who cares if the pack gets a little wet. Aside from the added weight from the wetness but that is a price I am willing to pay.

BirdBrain
01-31-2013, 12:01
I don't care for dry sacks as they compress the contents and just make bricks which doesn't utilize the space very efficiently. My preferred method is to line my pack with a contractor bag and put my quilt, food, tent etc inside that. My clothes (spare socks, beanie and insulation jacket) I pack loosely inside a mylar turkey roasting bag. and that goes at the top.

Combine that approach with a Packa and things will stay as dry as they can.

Mfrenchy
01-31-2013, 12:04
I used all 3 on my thru-hike. Keeping your sleeping bag and clothes dry can be vital if the temperature drops on a wet day. I used three different dry sacks, they are just waterproof bags (no valves), one for my sleeping bag, one for my spare clothes, and one for my food bag. It kept my main backpack compartment organized.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2013, 12:04
I belive in tripple layer protection. Rain cover to keep the pack from getting water logged, compactor bag liner in case the pack does get water logged and dry sack or small trash bag lined stuff sacks for critical stuff like sleeping bag and clothes.

tds1195
01-31-2013, 12:05
Pack covers ain't perfect but they keep alot of the moisture out of you pack. Water is heavy. Check out Zpacks cuben pack covers. They don't cost much more than more conventional ones.

I like the look of them, but I wouldn't call $40+ cheap...

jeffmeh
01-31-2013, 13:42
I belive in tripple layer protection. Rain cover to keep the pack from getting water logged, compactor bag liner in case the pack does get water logged and dry sack or small trash bag lined stuff sacks for critical stuff like sleeping bag and clothes.

Ex-RMC guy for the win! Although if I'm only out for a weekend I usually skip the pack cover.

tnvarmint
01-31-2013, 15:22
The reason I hate pack covers is because I tend to have things dangling from my pack on occasion such as crocs, pads, mugs, etc. Not always but sometimes. And when you have a size 13 foot those crocs can be an absolute pain to get under the cover. I don't know guess I am just lazy lol.

Slo-go'en
01-31-2013, 16:44
The reason I hate pack covers is because I tend to have things dangling from my pack on occasion such as crocs, pads, mugs, etc.

I try real hard not to have things dangle from the outside of my pack. I always get a kick out of seeing people looking like a pack mule with all the stuff swinging and clanking outside pack.

tnvarmint
01-31-2013, 17:28
Remember Sam from Lord of the Rings? That's me.

Seriously though I do try to limit what I have dangling from my pack also but I tend to carry extra stuff along the way from my wife's pack when she comes with me. Add to that a sleeping pad that I occasionally carry for added warmth in the hammock and it is next to impossible to get a pack cover over my pack at times.

Starchild
01-31-2013, 18:58
My plan to work with waters natural tendencies. A pack cover to encourage water flow around my pack, added to that is my pack is water resistant, a exit hole at the bottom of my pack for water that insists and a drybag that hold all my sleeping gear that water will never even know even exists.

Do I also need a contraction bag...

???

SCRUB HIKER
01-31-2013, 19:07

I've essentially done this, and yes it succeeds in keeping things dry. I was using a combination of Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil dry-bags, knockoffs, and Ziploc bags (for food). I ditched my pack cover halfway through the AT because it was almost completely useless. As other people have noted, there are pros and cons to keeping every single thing in dry-sacks (I don't do it anymore for simplicity and packability's sake), but it will keep everything dry.

Drybones
01-31-2013, 19:07
My plan to work with waters natural tendencies. A pack cover to encourage water flow around my pack, added to that is my pack is water resistant, a exit hole at the bottom of my pack for water that insists and a drybag that hold all my sleeping gear that water will never even know even exists.

Do I also need a contraction bag...

???

I expect that hole in the bottom of your pack to be like the holes in the bottom of sit-on-top kayaks...the good thing is that it lets water out...the bad thing is that it lets water in...bottom line, you get wet.

Papa D
01-31-2013, 21:00
Keep important stuff in dry bags
Line your pack with a contractor bag (optional)
Pack Cover - keeps pack dry and from getting soaked and heavy (moderately effective)

leaftye
01-31-2013, 23:46
With an umbrella, poncho, pack liner and oversized stuff sack, I think my gear will still dry. The umbrella is good for keeping gear dry while digging into my pack.

TheGreek
02-01-2013, 17:26
I am using both. Right now I have 4 Dry bags:

-1 Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Bag (for my sleeping bag)
-1 Sea to Summit Ultralight 20L Dry Bag (Clothes, misc.)
-1 Sea to Summit Ultralight 8L Dry Bag (Food Bag)
-1 Sea to Summit Ultralight 1L Dry Bag (Kindle, extra battery for phone, cables)

The weight wasn't very much more than using stuff sacks. I also have a pack cover.

I hate wet gear.

Del Q
02-01-2013, 17:30
I like keeping all of my gear inside of my pack in separate bags, most are waterproof, keeps my stuff organized and dry.

Pack cover as well, the last thing I want is a totally soaked pack and lugging more weight. Last section hike it rained for 6 days in a row in Vermont, no views which was a bummer..............but my gear stayed pretty dry.

I am at about 30-32 lbs all in, the weight of these bags is negligible and for me, worth it...........

RockDoc
02-01-2013, 17:35
Here's a cheap secret for you that works: a turkey baster bag.
Very tough, waterproof, large enough for sleeping bag, easily sealed, and did I say, cheap?
Of course, use a pack cover, but don't count on them for much help.

Grand Poobah
02-01-2013, 20:22
Keep in mind, walmart has "dry bags" for CHEAP. I got a package of 3, all different sizes for like 7$. They made it the whole way, i lined with a trash compactor bag, and had a pack cover, and poncho. I got rid of the pack cover about 3/4 of the way through, and just used my poncho over the bag. I will say the compactor bag should be close to non-negotiable for 95% of hikers. All my gear got wet once in 5 months, and that was my doing. Poorly stored at night while stealthing along the trail, and slept in a puddle due to putting my hammock up in the rain in the dark improperly. every other rain, everything was dry minus the actual pack. pack covers are basically worthless if it rains all day or 5.

Another couple of suggestions about walmart, they have cheap treking poles for those who are unsure about using them, its a cheap way to discover if you like them or not. You will find you love them and will be willing to spend the money for good ones. REI will replace broken poles without question. My headlamp was no longer after week 3 and I got a 15$ coleman headlamp at walmart in Gorum NH and it worked perfectly. Remember all your gear doesnt have to cost a boat(though you may wana sell the boat anyway). it just has to do a job.

REI sells cheap and expensive gear, but they have an amazing return policy. Use it dont abuse it. I bought a nice pair of zip off pants from them and they tore and wore out, so I mailed them home, my friend exchanged them and mailed them back in a food box.

I dont suggest this, but I know a thru hiker in 2012 that purchased all his gear from REI, returned ALL of it when he finished including shoes, pack, socks, ie everything and bought a mnt bike with the money.