PDA

View Full Version : To the ULA backpack fans

Cozy
01-31-2013, 15:02
I know there are a lot of ULA fans out there and I need your help. I am replacing my NorthFace Alteo 50 backpack because I really need at least a 60 liter pack for my thru hike. I loved the trampoline backing, which is why I ordered the Osprey Aura 65 as a replacement. However, I may be cancelling the order..... I was at an outfitters and tried on the ULA AirX. That's the 40 ounce pack that uses the Kylmit 3/4 mattress as a pack frame. It was like a pillow on my back!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular pack.

Also, I am looking at the ULA Circuit backpack and was wondering if anyone knows if this is smaller in width than the AirX. The website doesn't give its dimensions.

The AirX is 75 liters while the Circuit is 70 liters. My baseweight is around 15 lbs. I don't plan to carry more than 25 lbs. on the AT.

Thanks!

tnvarmint
01-31-2013, 15:19
Don't get me wrong, I love my ULA Ohm 2 but something to keep in mind is that ULA counts ALL compartments in teir size calculations. For example the main body is 2100ci, front mesh pocket 500ci, side pockets 400ci each, collar 500ci and hip belt 100ci each for a total of just shy of 4000 cubic inches. Most other pack manufacturers count only the main compartments in their calculations.

tjkenney67
01-31-2013, 15:34
I have a ULA Catalyst for sale if interested ....

Carl Calson
02-01-2013, 16:14
you'll thank yourself if you just go out and buy a 50 liter pack, thus forcing yourself to downsize all your gear to fit into it.

Rasty
02-01-2013, 16:39
The Kylmit pads get very mixed reviews. If you only sleep on your back and never roll the pads work. If your a side sleeper they do not work. Get a Circuit and a pad you that will work for you.

colorado_rob
02-01-2013, 16:40
Don't get me wrong, I love my ULA Ohm 2 but something to keep in mind is that ULA counts ALL compartments in teir size calculations. For example the main body is 2100ci, front mesh pocket 500ci, side pockets 400ci each, collar 500ci and hip belt 100ci each for a total of just shy of 4000 cubic inches. Most other pack manufacturers count only the main compartments in their calculations. I hear this and I was concerned when I ordered my OHM 2.0... but then I loaded the Ohm 2.0 and my Osprey 46L pack (46L = 2800 cu inches) with the identical gear. With gear that completely filled my Osprey, the Ohm 2.0 had room to spare, with nothing in the outside pockets. I cannot explain this, other than perhaps ULA is conservative with their volume estimates, or Osprey is liberal. I would equate the OHM 2.0 with basically a solid 50L pack, plenty of room for my AT kit, and then some. My base weight is 12-13 pounds or so, with a max carry of just under 25 pounds (6-7 days of food).